Forum » FFXI » General » New login campaign - augmented capes
New login campaign - augmented capes
By Hauke 2014-12-21 19:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I got a lifestream cape too with the following augments:
Geomancy Skill +9
Indi. Eff Dur. +20
Damage Taken -2%

Doesn't seem bad, but doesn't seem great either.
Also got an updraft mantle that doesn't seem too hot:
Str+2
Weaponskill damage +2% (not bad)
Pet -DT: 3%
By Pantafernando 2014-12-21 19:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If those capes were 100 points instead 1000...
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Zoltar 2014-12-21 20:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiah Monstruo said: »
This is a very smart addition to the login campaign, good job SE.

Lay off the drugs kid...these should be 100pts for the sheer random crap I'm getting...

Post deleted by User.
By Zoltar 2014-12-21 21:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't smart.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Dakenx
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Thebatman
By Asura.Dakenx 2014-12-21 22:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG: +3 str, pet dt-2%
BST: I don't remember
This is going as I expected but o well no shanks or seals for me this time.
 Ragnarok.Inx
Server: Ragnarok
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2014-12-22 02:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

It'd kill Incursion stone dead. Don't you honestly think 40+ capes for just logging in over the course of a month would be all kinds of broken?
By Pantafernando 2014-12-22 02:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Inx said: »

It'd kill Incursion stone dead. Don't you honestly think 40+ capes for just logging in over the course of a month would be all kinds of broken?

No.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-12-22 02:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Good, incursion is a shitty event. No redeeming quality about it whatsoever.

No, 40 wouldn't be broken at all. 1000 wouldn't be broken. You'll never get the augment you want even if you got 10,000.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-12-22 03:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

when you consider that there's 22 jobs and numerous variables to each of those 22 job's capes, 40 capes isn't going to scratch the surface. at most you may get lucky and get a good cape for a single job, but it's statistically unlikely that you'd be able to outfit all of them unless you just play one or two. saying that it would kill Incursion is baseless.
[+]
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-12-22 03:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I still havent received a single augmented ranger cape from gramk spam.
1 smn cape, 1 rdm cape to date and only recently from boss.

recieved+tossed maybe around 100 capes by now of varying jobs and kinds. This game sure loves to throw geo/bst/sch/blm capes at me.

Not one wsd cape yet for any job that can get wsd aug, all my rage!
 Asura.Psylo
Server: Asura
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2014-12-22 03:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

For now i get SMN and PUP one, two job i don't have of course ...

Bah, between this and the skirmish stone random system, its just a another way to keep ppl farming cape or stone.
 Ragnarok.Inx
By Ragnarok.Inx 2014-12-22 03:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »

Good, incursion is a shitty event. No redeeming quality about it whatsoever.

No, 40 wouldn't be broken at all. 1000 wouldn't be broken. You'll never get the augment you want even if you got 10,000.

If getting the augment you want is so unlikely, why are you hanging on for it like a chump? I mean seriously, don't blame the game for your own OCD tendencies! Its like bitching you don't get 400 gobbie keys a month so you have 10x the chance of getting a free broken lu-shang's, K-club or whatever.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-12-22 04:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

>complains that cheaper capes would kill incursion

>proceeds to argue that augments on capes aren't valuable anyway unless you're a chump, thus implying that incursion is already useless

waffle moar. while you're at it, statistically analyze the probability of 40 capes giving you something valuable enough to invalidate an entire event. I'd be most amused to see such a breakdown.

personally don't give a *** if capes costed 4000 or 10 points each, but the assertion that any price they put on them is capable of making an entire event go the way of the dodo is hilarious.
 Ragnarok.Inx
By Ragnarok.Inx 2014-12-22 05:37:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
>complains that cheaper capes would kill incursion

>proceeds to argue that augments on capes aren't valuable anyway unless you're a chump, thus implying that incursion is already useless

waffle moar. while you're at it, statistically analyze the probability of 40 capes giving you something valuable enough to invalidate an entire event. I'd be most amused to see such a breakdown.

personally don't give a *** if capes costed 4000 or 10 points each, but the assertion that any price they put on them is capable of making an entire event go the way of the dodo is hilarious.

First thing, my response to Valli was about PERFECT augments, so don't conflate the two points.

Secondly, augmented jse capes are the primary long-term gear reward from Incursion. The 13 weapon/armour pieces from all the NM's tap-out pretty quick, and given the personal coffer distribution method you can't even merc-sell BCNM style.

That leaves what? Augmented Mecistopins as the only reward beyond basic xp/cp which is hardly unique and utterly insufficient to justify long-term interest.

Then of course there's the trickle-down effect where you strip off the augments and trade in batches to get any basic jse cape you happen to be missing on another job, devaluing other sources like reives.

But hey, why put carrots on sticks when you can simply hand-out carrots for turning up?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-12-22 05:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

You still haven't explained how handing out 40 capes to people who log in every day to get the points for such and are probably doing Incursion anyway would kill Incursion. Anyway, I have no intention of drawing this out unnecessarily. I just found your hyperbolic statement to be amusing.
 Ragnarok.Inx
By Ragnarok.Inx 2014-12-22 05:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

What I find amusing is your denial of the fundamental truth that in this game the difference between a popular and a dead event is the perceived value of the loot.

You give stuff away in bulk and its value depreciates.

Noone looks at the dat mines of a patch and goes, hmmm, that new gear looks meh, but I'm sure it'll be worth going for because at least it'll offer a challenge!

Wake up and smell what your shovelling son, come on.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-12-22 05:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not that I don't understand the value of an item compared to the value of an event, it's that the statistical possibility of the login campaign giving you a cape that reduces the value of doing Incursion for a cape you actually need or a cape with the augments you want is so miniscule... that saying Incursion would outright die as a result of someone being given 40 capes is a laughable attempt at hyperbole.

You're still going to want to do Incursion if they hand you 40 capes unless you hit the lottery numerous times. The people who decide they don't want to do Incursion anymore after getting that sweet Cornflower Cape with 18MP and 3ACC are probably people that didn't care to do Incursion to begin with.

Again, I don't care how many capes they give you from this thing. But even if they gave more, attempting to say that doing so would kill an entire event is just plain wrong.
 Ragnarok.Inx
By Ragnarok.Inx 2014-12-22 06:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously it's entirely down to the individual, (as to what level of gear they are currently at, and to what level they aspire to reach) where they conclude enough-is-enough.

So you can't give a concrete tipping point for anyone but yourself, but you can safely conclude that its going to have broadly degradatory and demotivating effect across the spectrum of the player base. This I don't think is desirable.

Bottom line though is that there is zero risk, and zero effort compared to potential reward in this transaction. This is not equivalent to shank conversion to d-rings because here it isn't a singular potential "jackpot" item or bust case, but one with multiple degrees of reward any of which could be beneficial to the recipient.

This is why I jumped on Valli and his masochistic "perfect" augment goal.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-22 07:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You mfers be quiet se might get some twisted *** and make capes augmentable with verdigris stones during full moon or some ***
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-12-22 08:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Or they could finally get it into their head that no one likes this random augment *** and stop it. (they won't)
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-12-22 08:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sapphire said: »
I dont think you could pay some people to do incursion, know a few people that straight up refuse to do it anymore.

I have to play RDM and be a stunner in this event to get it going at all, words cannot express my hate for SE putting what will probably be the strongest cape gear for the next couple years behind such a tedious and crappy lolrandom augment event.

Velkk have to be the most insidiously annoying mobs SE has ever produced. There seems to be no oft-complained about ability that they don't possess in some form. Knockback, encumberance, dispel, amnesia, bind, etc. I'm not asking SE to make them into toads, but just damn. I'm pretty sure they can make threatening mobs without also making them painfully annoying mobs.

And yes, the loot randomness is almost as insidious as the mob design. Where's our points system? Why aren't there stones that can allow us to at least minimize the randomness of the augments? Why can't I trade 3 augmented capes for an augmented cape of my choosing? Why are they no longer taking advantage of well-received systems that they've previously used?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-12-22 08:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Or they could finally get it into their head that no one likes this random augment *** and stop it. (they won't)

All the +1s.
[+]
 Siren.Sieha
Server: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2014-12-22 08:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

This would be nice, however one of the 2 main principle of the game would be broken.

First principle of FFXI: what you want doesnt drop so you have to keep doing the content over and over while they think of the next thing to take up your time.
Second principle of FFXI: Side grades and macro only gear.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-12-22 08:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Incursion done properly:
Cape can stiill be random
Obtain X EXP while in incursion: stat+1 stat+1 stat+1 stat+1
X EXP again stat+2 stat+2 stat+2 stat+2
Clear content level 130 stat+3 stat+3 stat+3 stat+3
Clear content level 140 Stat+4 stat+4 stat+4 stat+4
Max level clear, max augs.
When you clear max level you start over and lose your KIs at 124 and work on a second cape.
(or something generally close to this)
And like Camiie said, holy ***do away with like half the god damn tp moves Velkk do. Every single thing they do is just obnoxious. The only thing they're missing is a weakness move.
[+]
By Zoltar 2014-12-22 09:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I still think they should do a turn in 3 of the same jse cape = get a random aug'd version of that cape. More ppl would do reives, hp bayld prices would lower, many would be happy
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-12-26 11:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The fail is strong:

lolpup no one cares
Skill 2 BP DMG 3
Skill 8 Skill 8 Duration 15

/tosstosstoss
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-12-26 11:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish we could combine the multiple capes that we get and have it select the higher stat from each combination.

So if I get 30 Reverse Flourish on one cape and 5% Dual Wield on another, I want to be able to put them together and get a 30 Reverse Flourish / 5 Dual Wield cape. My inventory is already crowded enough without carrying around 3 DNC capes.
[+]