2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
First Page 2 ... 10 11 12
VIP
By Kalila 2014-11-29 00:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Episode VII in the Star Wars Saga, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, opens in theaters December 18, 2015.

YouTube Video Placeholder

What are your thoughts on the new teaser trailer?
[+]
 Bahamut.Scizor
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2014-11-29 01:23:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It looks awesome.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-11-29 01:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like the lightsaber has an unstable crystal from the way it's vibrating, possibly a very old version that needs exhausts on the sides.

They did say something awakened, might be an old Sith.

Could also just be an impractical stylistic choice. He'd probably cut his hand off trying to use it the way they normally do (slashing) and a lightsaber could slice through it unless it's made of one of the resistant and very rare metals.
[+]
By volkom 2014-11-29 01:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

is it exhaust or a cross guard?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-11-29 01:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks more like an exhaust since it's kinda flamey-looking at the end, unlike the lightsaber blade
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-11-29 01:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Would make more sense to have them pointing up though, like a sai. You'll *** up your hands when you fight with that crap coming out of the sides.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-11-29 01:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I was thinking that too, but if you made it yourself and trained with it you probably know how to use it safely.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-11-29 01:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

That might be a bit better
By Voren 2014-11-29 01:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I got goose bumps. And I'm with Dracondria on the lightsaber, then again it's a Sith, if s/he (can't tell gender) wants to go all Billy big balls and swing a lightsaber with fire/laser/whatever coming from the guard then by all means do so and cut your own self up during a fight.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-11-29 02:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Like compressed crystals, unstable crystals were the result of the initiate failing to accurately replicate the natural formation processes of crystals. The blades generated by unstable crystals were obviously more unstable than the norm, causing the blades generated to crackle with energy at erratic intervals, sometimes causing sparks to fly or streaks of electrical energy to run along the length. Due to the energy sparking from the blade, unstable synth-crystals caused more damage than normal when they hit enemies. However, they were much more prone to shorting out, causing the lightsaber to deactivate for a time.

Could also be a compressed crystal since it looks kinda thin (but pretty sure the oscillation would make it look different)

Quote:
Compressed synth-crystals were a result of a failure to accurately replicate the natural geological process that formed crystals. The result was a crystal that was far more compressed than natural crystals, causing the blade generated to be considerably thinner than standard blades. However, a byproduct of this thinner blade was that it allowed for greater precision and control. In addition to a thinner blade, the other visual indicators for a blade generated by a compressed synth-crystal were oscillations of energy that rapidly ran along the length of the blade at regular intervals.
By Voren 2014-11-29 02:23:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, wait, remember....it's Disney, so throw most canon out the window.

It was probably done to make the weapon more recognizable as a sword >.>
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2014-11-29 02:32:51
Link | Quote | Reply

No Jar Jar (so far) and signed-on original Ep. 4 cast members, so at least it's encouraging. Not everything Disney produces turns into gold, but at least they know some work-able formulae and have lots of money to make flashy production values.

So hopefully.

I find my own lack of faith disturbing, though. ;_;
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-11-29 02:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm by no means a star wars fan, I just watch the movies.

I don't know if 7 is actually the 7th book, or 1st or any of that ***. But I like that light saber.

Is it an original lightsaber? Someone who reads the book should know this, yes?
VIP
By Kalila 2014-11-29 02:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

From the outrage on the design I'd say it's not from the books, but I also read that the books had light saber whips~
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-11-29 02:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I can tell you this much, when they have those deadlocks, and they exchange dialog, those side flames would be great for burning your opponents arm.

Especially if you can use (whatever) to extend them.
 Asura.Aaliana
Server: Asura
user: edster105
By Asura.Aaliana 2014-11-29 03:05:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm surprised to read that no one so far has mentioned what I felt watching the teaser - A nostalgia wave hitting me like a tsunami. Stormtroopers! The desert! The falcon! The music! I try to stay un-hyped as you only set yourself up for disappointment usually, but man I was stoked when I saw this
By Voren 2014-11-29 03:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
I'm by no means a star wars fan, I just watch the movies.

I don't know if 7 is actually the 7th book, or 1st or any of that ***. But I like that light saber.

Is it an original lightsaber? Someone who reads the book should know this, yes?

The books aren't canon as it pertains to Lucas Films. The only thing George Lucas considers canon, and what is noted as being the top in the hierarchy of SW canon are the films. The novels are on the third rung or lower (after TV shows and video games created by Lucas Arts).

I've got no idea if Disney cares about canon or not. There's some good ideas in the novels, but pretty much don't expect too much from the novels (if anything) to enter the films.

Edit: after reading a bit more I blundered. Lucas never saw anything past episode 6, so canon can go out the window for the most part.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-11-29 03:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Looks like the lightsaber has an unstable crystal from the way it's vibrating, possibly a very old version that needs exhausts on the sides.

They did say something awakened, might be an old Sith.

Could also just be an impractical stylistic choice. He'd probably cut his hand off trying to use it the way they normally do (slashing) and a lightsaber could slice through it unless it's made of one of the resistant and very rare metals.

Think you're looking into it too much, I think it's just a different style of Lightsaber for this movie, like when Darth Maul introduced the Double Lightsaber?

This looks like a Lightsaber broadsword-style to me, looks cool.
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-11-29 03:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Disney just take my money all of it
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-11-29 03:29:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
From the outrage on the design I'd say it's not from the books, but I also read that the books had light saber whips~

Outrage? Seriously?

Bunch of fanatic Star Wars nerds I guess lol.

So serious.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-11-29 03:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »

Outrage? Seriously?

So serious.
Yea, they're all angry that the metal piece would break and just cut the hand anyways.

Then people respond that the laser is still there, it just would be a 1 time block when it breaks off.

Then there are those who still think it looks dumb

Then there are those who think it looks awesome.

basically: the internet
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-11-29 03:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Star Wars nerds are unlike any other nerds man... Fanatical doesn't even begin to cover it.

Confuse it with Star Trek... I dare you.

I really enjoy the unique saber. Very interesting... They certainly never would use an actual hand guard in that sense. It's purely asthetic, or is indeed a "vent" or a mechanism for burning the opponent to break a deadlock.

LOL
[+]
 Asura.Kuraiuma
user: DARKH0RSE
By Asura.Kuraiuma 2014-11-29 04:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Outrage? Seriously?
So serious.
Unlike FFXI/AH nerds?
Star Wars nerds are unlike any other nerds man... Fanatical doesn't even begin to cover it.
Unlike FFXI/AH nerds?

Not saying that I'm not either of them though! Star Wars is something that a lot of people have grown up with so it's really not that surprising is it...
 Asura.Tarquine
By Asura.Tarquine 2014-11-29 05:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh god... lens flare already ><;
[+]
 Asura.Tarquine
By Asura.Tarquine 2014-11-29 05:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

They certainly never would use an actual hand guard in that sense. 

How would you know? Are you a Jedi? Are you a masterswordsman?

I don't claim to be either, but it certainly can be used that way. It is why they were included on the pommel of the swords of old. Light Sabre is still 'sword'.

The only 'aesthetic' of it, is due ot the fact that it is not real, and part of a film. If it were real, i can imagine it having a practical use easily. I can also imagine jedi/sith not giving a toss about the aesthetics.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-11-29 06:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Well not to jump in with both feet and argue about physics in a fictional universe.

But, (of course). Metal glides on metal. Energy (as in the movies) never slides on Energy. There is never a scenario where the "blade" has slide across another "blade" in an attempt to remove an opponents fingers. Not to mention the Jedi are "honorable" and would never use an underhanded move like that to win. If anyone should have guards, it wouldn't be sith.

This would be an OBVIOUS thing to do if it were possible. It would be the FIRST thing I would do. Therefor, yeah, it is not meant to be a guard of any sort.

Furthermore, the "badguys" always have the "cooler" weapons. They're the ONLY ones that care about aesthetics.

2 of them that I can think of have hooked lightsabers. Maul uses a double edged blade, the one chick uses a BLACK blade. Grevious uses 4 sabers. It's all about that "OMG factor".

This Dudes blade is just awesome. I can say with 100% certainty that it will NOT be used defensively in any capacity. And it will almost certainly be used as I said 3 times, to burn a victim in a deadlock.

This is more likely to happen~
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2014-11-29 07:32:53
Link | Quote | Reply

From Wookieepedia
Quote:
Appearances

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith 4
Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith 5
Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith 6
Jedi Apprentice: The Deadly Hunter
Jedi Apprentice: The Evil Experiment
Jedi Apprentice: The Dangerous Rescue
Jedi Quest: The Dangerous Games (Mentioned only)
Jedi Quest: The School of Fear (Indirect mention only)
The Cestus Deception
TCW mini logo Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Kidnapped"
TCW mini logo Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Slaves of the Republic"
One of a Kind
The Last of the Jedi: A Tangled Web
The Last of the Jedi: Secret Weapon (Mentioned only)
Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Gal-icon Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (Appeared in loading screen)
Rebel Force: Target (Mentioned only)
Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
Star Wars 95: No Zeltrons (First appearance)
Star Wars 96: Duel With a Dark Lady
Star Wars 97: Escape (Mentioned only)
GalaxyCite "Lumiya: Dark Star of the Empire"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 3
The Courtship of Princess Leia
Legacy of the Force: Betrayal
Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines (Mentioned only)
Legacy of the Force: Tempest
Legacy of the Force: Exile
Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice
Legacy of the Force: Inferno (Mentioned only)
Legacy of the Force: Fury
Star Wars: Legacy Volume 2 11
Star Wars: Legacy Volume 2 12
Star Wars: Legacy Volume 2 13
Star Wars: Legacy Volume 2 14
Star Wars: Legacy Volume 2 15

So seems like lots of whips

also

Quote:
The crossguard lightsaber, also known as the forked lightsaber, was a type of lightsaber seen very rarely. One Jedi known to use such a weapon was Roblio Darté, whose lightsaber had two blue blades.

The crossguard lightsaber was essentially a regular lightsaber with a second blade emitter protruding near the first one at a 45-degree angle to the axis of the hilt. The blade the second emitter emitted was dagger-sized. Roblio Darté's hilt was also built with a slight curve.
Sounds similar to that one though not exactly the same.
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-11-29 07:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess it's because I'm not a rabid Star Wars fan, but I didn't see anything in the trailer that wowed me. I'm just not sure what's here that's making people fangasm.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-11-29 08:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

This sounds like it should be a intresting movie. We will see what crime fighting duo of spock and dr who are up to.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 10 11 12