[dev1242] Job Adjustments
 Bahamut.Malothar
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2014-11-26 13:13:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
There's no need for all jobs to be able to do the same amount of damage, sorry.

This is a silly outlook though as those jobs aren't competing for the same slots. Think of it as a typical party setup, you got your healer, buffer/s, and DDs. If the event benefits from TH, snag a Thf. Notice there is no backup healer, off tank, etc slot, it's simply heal, buff, DD.

As things are now, most of these "DDs" that bring utility pale in comparison to a DD focused job, even if they're focusing entirely on DDing. This creates the situation we have now where, gimmicks aside, there's little reason to bring a non-optimal DD. They will do less damage, and their support generally isn't needed. However, balance the DD capabilities around the assumption that a support/hybrid/wtfever you call it DD can match a pure DD if they focus on DD, and the capabilities become balanced. Why bring a Sam, War, Drk, Drg, etc, when you could load up on Blus, Dnc, etc? Cause they're doing the same job, DDing.

Not saying the utility they bring isn't useful, but there's an opportunity cost (lost DD potential) for using it. If you're not using it, then there's little reason for the massive disparity between jobs. It's not going to create situations where you'll want 4 Dncs for DD cause of the utility they bring, because they won't be doing the best DD by deploying that utility.
[+]
By Wordspoken 2014-11-26 13:13:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Global JA/WS delay removals would break the game.

Making slight adjustments for PUP, a class noone plays, does not. Steps could also probably be removed with very little overall impact to game balance.
Maybe SE is testing the effects of removing JAdelay with pup before implementing it to others? Who knows? I sure do not know.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-11-26 13:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »

I'm not shitting on anyone, this just seems like a waste of time; an update to jobs that very few people care about. Most players who want to do damage play 2handers. What's the point of buffing damage on jobs that players use for farming or puttering around on? SAM is fine. DRG got its buff. S-E should have given DRK and WAR a buff.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-11-26 13:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Numquam said: »
Give BLU refresh II damnit!

I can't seriously thing of many scenarios or events where even as a Galka BLU (with capped MP merits and ILvl) I ever have MP issues. If I ever do, Just macro in 2x magic damage+ clubs/anahera saber and magic hammer. MP should never be an issue with that ability.
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2014-11-26 13:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm all for more open-minded setups for any events, less job change for me!
[+]
 Asura.Vinedrius
Server: Asura
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2014-11-26 13:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not shitting on anyone, this just seems like a waste of time; an update to jobs that very few people care about. Most players who want to do damage play 2handers. What's the point of buffing damage on jobs that players use for farming or puttering around on? SAM is fine. DRG got its buff. S-E should have given DRK and WAR a buff.

this whole post is the very definition of bias...
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-11-26 14:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vinedrius said: »

Bias towards DRK and WAR? Well, I am gearing up DRK on my original XI character, which I will never ever use except to play around with, but I play SAM or WHM in parties 90% of the time. Mostly these days in XI I spend my time farming on BST or DNC, so I benefit from this update... and I still say that it's a great example of SE's priorities being out of alignment with the playerbase.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-11-26 15:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

So exciting!
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-11-26 15:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vinedrius said: »

Bias towards DRK and WAR? Well, I am gearing up DRK on my original XI character, which I will never ever use except to play around with, but I play SAM or WHM in parties 90% of the time. Mostly these days in XI I spend my time farming on BST or DNC, so I benefit from this update... and I still say that it's a great example of SE's priorities being out of alignment with the playerbase.

SE is supposed to align with what?
-align some more with the Samwagon running full speed and everyone subscribes to the ezmode metagame that is fudo all the things?
-align some more A bunch of rangers overkill decoy shot onto an afk paladin and brag about how easy this game is?
-align some more with the hexaboxing 5 step light sc samurai 'man this game is too easy' crowd?
-align some more with the wants and needs of the 1 ls per server that clears 143 incursion?

If you look at SE improving pup, smn, bst, and 1h jobs (like blu, dnc, thf, nin) is probably the smartest thing they have decided to do because all things trend towards more varied lowman or solo/trust gameplay.

People are stuck playing many 1h jobs 'for funsies' because the popular metagame strats and spreadsheets say 2H dd or gtfo.
[+]
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
Server: Cerberus
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-11-26 15:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

They better give us more challenging content. All this xmas gifting has made the game WoW easy.
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2014-11-26 15:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

SE is supposed to align with what?
-align some more with the Samwagon running full speed and everyone subscribes to the ezmode metagame that is fudo all the things?
-align some more A bunch of rangers overkill decoy shot onto an afk paladin and brag about how easy this game is?
-align some more with the hexaboxing 5 step light sc samurai 'man this game is too easy' crowd?
-align some more with the wants and needs of the 1 ls per server that clears 143 incursion?

If you look at SE improving pup, smn, bst, and 1h jobs (like blu, dnc, thf, nin) is probably the smartest thing they have decided to do because all things trend towards more varied lowman or solo/trust gameplay.

People are stuck playing many 1h jobs 'for funsies' because the popular metagame strats and spreadsheets say 2H dd or gtfo.

For the record on Asura anyway, no single LS has beat 143 incursion, a pickup group did it, made of multiple languages and multiple linkshells based on who hads kogas and who had idris.

My opinion of this update either way is irrelevant but lets not bring 143 incursion into this, raising the accuracy cap to 99% for these jobs to fight mobs you have sub 60% accuracy on or something is also irrelevant, the only reason they die is because of samurai weaponskill and skillchain frequency.

Edit: also because of idris.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2014-11-26 16:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Doctorugh said: »
They better give us more challenging content. All this xmas gifting has made the game WoW easy.

WoW is currently more difficult than FFXI, though we're at the very, very beginning of 100 content.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mckenzee
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Mckenzee 2014-11-26 16:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

changing the subject slightly, i'm curious about the wording of

"Bonuses for the following weapon skills that only applied at initial ranks will now be applied to all ranks."
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-26 16:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Effects that previously only applied to the first hit.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mckenzee
By Quetzalcoatl.Mckenzee 2014-11-26 17:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

only merit ws listed there though is exenterator. i kinda hope, though i'm pretty sure it's not ftp bonus like elemental gorget/belt
 Lakshmi.Nebo
user: NeboJones
By Lakshmi.Nebo 2014-11-26 17:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

There's always been a small but vocal minority of players, especially but not limited to thieves, who have squawked for 1handers to be on-par with 2handers for damage. And it just doesn't make sense, at all. THF/DNC/BLU/PUP/BST all have advantages for solo/farming that SAM/DRG/DRK/WAR do not. Why should they do as much damage? That they do not is fair and balanced. BLU is probably the exception, as it can do pretty good damage both in party or solo situations, and maybe MNK, which is a decent solo job.

It's not a minority. They are certainly less vocal though. Many have either quit or just don't say anything any more because SE never listens.

The idea that one handed jobs should be weak because they have such a huge solo advantage over two handed job is both factually incorrect and a bad way to balance an MMO (around solo content).

What there's really no need for is to have only a very select few DD jobs viable for endgame content while the vast majority of them are left out in the cold.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-11-26 17:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Haorhu said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Mckenzee said: »

"Bonuses for the following weapon skills that only applied at initial ranks will now be applied to all ranks."

i think this is for merits WS lv/2/3/4 etc.. ? apply bonus for the ws listed ? (sorry for my english) :)

After reading the kncard translation and some opinion in bg, i think just 2 probability: or its bonuses from equipments like gorget/belt ftp and wsd stats like the karieh ring, sandung and skirmish weapons, or its the "invisible" bonuses the first hits like the extra accuracy first hit in multihits, extra att, etc.
[+]
 Sylph.Malphius
user: Malphius
By Sylph.Malphius 2014-11-26 18:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't buff these jobs that nobody plays anymore because they don't get buffed. Good argument.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2014-11-26 18:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Asura.Haorhu said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Mckenzee said: »

i think this is for merits WS lv/2/3/4 etc.. ? apply bonus for the ws listed ? (sorry for my english) :)

After reading the kncard translation and some opinion in bg, i think just 2 probability: or its bonuses from equipments like gorget/belt ftp and wsd stats like the karieh ring, sandung and skirmish weapons, or its the "invisible" bonuses the first hits like the extra accuracy first hit in multihits, extra att, etc.

Could also turn them into WS's like Reso and Last stand where the .1 from gorget and belt apply to all hits.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-11-26 18:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

My 2 cents.

These changes are pretty groundbreaking, but hardly game changing. it's a godsend to someone who actually ENJOYS playing single handed jobs instead of bandwagoning all the things.

I would absolutely rather take the job I enjoy than gearing up SAM all the time, hate samurai.

But here's the cold hard facts. Increasing WS damage for singlehanders doesn't do ANYTHING for getting them into endgame. They still lack HP pools that MNK and heavies have. That's the biggest issue to be honest, I'd take THF to everything already but I know that with 1500 HP even in full DT 50% It's a burden to keep me alive.

Single hand jobs win white damage, and 2hands win WS damage. The ACC floor removal is pretty epic, but doesn't change anything truth be told either.

Fudo/SAM/solo-skillchains still require a nerf, no amount of buffs is going to make any job on par with the brokenness that is SAM.
[+]
By Chyula 2014-11-26 18:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see why complain about a buff for 1handers?, if you want to bring sam to everything even retard easy skirmish then go do it. I want to play other jobs for events, I got sick of playing sam or mnk or no invite ***. anyway I'm seeing a huge potential of nin getting back in the game. Hi > Hi is darkness, this can be huge if SE boost hi dmg to a significant level. The other potential I see is Rudra.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-11-26 19:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sick of SAM!
[+]
 Asura.Celoria
user: celoria
By Asura.Celoria 2014-11-26 19:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

WAR and DRK are the ones getting shafted here, really. No one cares about one-handers except a few people on here. But these are historically-great DD jobs that could use a bit of a buff.

This many times over...

+ what the guy above me said.
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-11-26 19:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

There's always been a small but vocal minority of players, especially but not limited to thieves, who have squawked for 1handers to be on-par with 2handers for damage. And it just doesn't make sense, at all. THF/DNC/BLU/PUP/BST all have advantages for solo/farming that SAM/DRG/DRK/WAR do not. Why should they do as much damage? That they do not is fair and balanced. BLU is probably the exception, as it can do pretty good damage both in party or solo situations, and maybe MNK, which is a decent solo job.

Sorry, but a job's solo advantages or disadvantages should have no bearing on what they are capable of within group play. Hell with Trusts if there were any jobs left that couldn't solo before, they certainly can now. It's just silly that in a group based game that people get their panties in a bunch if a job can also solo well.

Other games will flat out admit to you on the create-a-character screen that some jobs/classes have an advantage soloing, and for some reason that's perfectly Ok. Here though it's somehow grounds for a class being ostracized by both players and developers. It's ridiculous. No wonder FFXI never conquered the MMO world as a Final Fantasy-based game should have. There's too much stupid on both the production and consumer sides of the equation.
[+]
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
Server: Cerberus
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-11-26 19:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/109345-The-Tanaka-Shoop-Thread-Balance-Your-Limitations
 Ragnarok.Worldslost
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Worldslost 2014-11-26 20:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess the "Stop Shouting and not adding BLU" campaign is back in full swing, lol!! All in all I am thrilled that the game is about to become a bit more open minded when it comes to party/job set ups.
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2014-11-26 20:27:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Now all the one handers can sit in town with the dragoons still not getting invited because its not going to touch samurai damage.
[+]
 Siren.Seiri
Server: Siren
user: seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2014-11-26 20:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Malothar said: »

This is a silly outlook though as those jobs aren't competing for the same slots. Think of it as a typical party setup, you got your healer, buffer/s, and DDs. If the event benefits from TH, snag a Thf. Notice there is no backup healer, off tank, etc slot, it's simply heal, buff, DD.

As things are now, most of these "DDs" that bring utility pale in comparison to a DD focused job, even if they're focusing entirely on DDing. This creates the situation we have now where, gimmicks aside, there's little reason to bring a non-optimal DD. They will do less damage, and their support generally isn't needed. However, balance the DD capabilities around the assumption that a support/hybrid/wtfever you call it DD can match a pure DD if they focus on DD, and the capabilities become balanced. Why bring a Sam, War, Drk, Drg, etc, when you could load up on Blus, Dnc, etc? Cause they're doing the same job, DDing.

Not saying the utility they bring isn't useful, but there's an opportunity cost (lost DD potential) for using it. If you're not using it, then there's little reason for the massive disparity between jobs. It's not going to create situations where you'll want 4 Dncs for DD cause of the utility they bring, because they won't be doing the best DD by deploying that utility.

You called him silly but didn't think you're own post through.

If there was the option for a utility class to match a pure DD class in potential damage, even if it meant them focusing on DD, then that DD class would become utterly useless - it would simply offer less.

Utility classes aren't meant to match a DD class in damage, like a DD class isn't meant to match a tank class in resilience, thats common sense.

I entirely agree with WAR DRK and DRG needing a buff, though WAR I suppose had its bandwagon during abyssea so somewhat deserves a back seat for now. What I don't agree with is the idea that people want supportive classes to match full DD in self dealt damage. The point of these support classes is to make the main DDs do MORE damage, and contribute that way.

As for the current party set ups for high level endgame, this won't change. Firstly, the setup of Heal, buff, buff OR DD, then DDs is optimal. Those buffers are there because what they offer is more valuable than a single DD slot, even a sam in the current meta. What might happen perhaps is that DNC replaces COR in some setups, or become an addition to a 'tank party' should that come back into fashion. NIN might become a more viable option for fights that want a tank who can contribute more damage than say a PLD, but BST won't become an endgame DD, nor will THF - they aren't meant to be in the first place.

The point is, there are jobs designed to do better alone, and others that do better in groups. If you want a job that can do both, play BLU. A good BLU can already do stupid damage, and can offer utility. BLU pays the price of a delay in swapping between its play styles - which is fair enough.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-11-26 20:50:45
Link | Quote | Reply

New future events, mobs will have an enhanced resistance to SKillchain damage.