New Dev Team Interview
 Quetzalcoatl.Vivivivi
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Vivivivi
By Quetzalcoatl.Vivivivi 2014-11-26 07:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share a short interview we did with the XI dev team last week after the conclusion of Seeker's of Adoulin. We tried to ask more behind the scenes-y questions about what it's like to make the game and what went into some of the creative decisions, and less "hard hitting we demand answers to X", since we felt the community team directly answers a lot of those anyway in the forums if and when they can.

We did manage to answer the age old question of where the boat to Norg goes ;) Enjoy!

http://t.co/HpvsOVNMx4
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-11-26 07:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I kinda wish you would've asked better questions... But interesting nonetheless.
By Nyruul 2014-11-26 07:23:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Yoshitsugu Saito: That’s a good question! (laughs) But putting all jokes aside, Norg has its own burgeoning markets in addition to its den of piracy, and as such often engages in trade with nearby islands. As such, it occupies a place similar to Mhaura and Selbina—there is no one set location.

Whew glad that case was finally closed(jk i always wondered too.)

You forgot to ask, "Do you plan to release any content that is actually entirely NEW in the near future?"
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-11-26 09:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

GE: The Adoulin storyline certainly made many references to other areas in Vana’diel and potentially the existence of another job or two… :) What can we look forward to next?

Yoshitsugu Saito: Though the missions have been brought to a satisfying conclusion, we still intend to flesh out Adoulin with related quests and scenarios. With FINAL FANTASY XI having been in service for many years, the world setting is constructed in such a way that we can take it in a variety of directions, and if we have the opportunity we would like to place efforts into doing so again.

GE: Final Fantasy XI has enjoyed a successful twelve years in operation so far, what are some of the greatest challenges keeping things exciting in today’s video game landscape?

Akihiko Matsui: We pay attention to a variety of things beyond just video games. During the twelve years of service, gaming trends have changed, and the environment in which players enjoy FINAL FANTASY XI has greatly shifted. We intend to embrace change, not fear it, and feel that it is critical to be able to enjoy the changes of the times.

My optimism will remain intact.
[+]
 Siren.Sieha
Server: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2014-11-26 11:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Very interesting interview, I bet it was very exciting to meet with them and to get that experience.
By Wordspoken 2014-11-26 13:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

We have a good dev team at the moment. Its not easy managing ffxi and lots of technical issues can't be tampered due to how game is structured. They're doing their best and trying to give us as good game as its possible to do under the circumstances.

That's the impression I'm getting of our dev team.
[+]
 Asura.Miroku
Server: Asura
user: Miroku
By Asura.Miroku 2014-11-26 17:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sieha said: »
Very interesting interview, I bet it was very exciting to meet with them and to get that experience.

It was an email Q and A unfortunately, hopefully we can meet with them in the future :)
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-11-26 17:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

New expansion coming :)
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-12-01 05:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
New expansion coming :)

Se can count on me to give them my money.
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-12-01 06:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
GE: Are there plans to continue development of Monstrosity? Can we look forward to uncapped zones for PvP?

Mizuki Ito: This issue is not unique to Monstrosity. A great number of personnel were working on the conclusion to the Seekers of Adoulin missions, and expansions to a variety of content have been put on the back burner. Though the missions themselves have concluded in the November patch, there are still some threads left unconnected, and we will introduce further quests and Seekers of Adoulin-related battle content in the months ahead that will take a deeper look into these stories. As such, we have been unable to prioritize Monstrosity. Scheduled high priority content will be released bit by bit, and once that has been done, there is a possibility that Monstrosity may rise in the priority list.

; ;
 Phoenix.Gameesh
Server: Phoenix
user: Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2014-12-01 07:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ackeronll said: »
Quote:
GE: Are there plans to continue development of Monstrosity? Can we look forward to uncapped zones for PvP?

Mizuki Ito: This issue is not unique to Monstrosity. A great number of personnel were working on the conclusion to the Seekers of Adoulin missions, and expansions to a variety of content have been put on the back burner. Though the missions themselves have concluded in the November patch, there are still some threads left unconnected, and we will introduce further quests and Seekers of Adoulin-related battle content in the months ahead that will take a deeper look into these stories. As such, we have been unable to prioritize Monstrosity. Scheduled high priority content will be released bit by bit, and once that has been done, there is a possibility that Monstrosity may rise in the priority list.

; ;

The last sentence gives me SOME hope.
Although this means we won't see any updates to the content soon, sadly...
 Asura.Ackeronll
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-12-01 07:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact they consider monster rearing high priority. Just let that sink in....
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2014-12-01 07:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

They probably consider it "high priority" due to it only having 2 ranks instead of 7 like all the other nodes.
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-12-01 07:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
They probably consider it "high priority" due to it only having 2 ranks instead of 7 like all the other nodes.
this.
Although I don't participate in this content, they do need to make each content offering sufficiently deep (grind/timesink/whatever you wanna call it) before they move onto working on other things.
Stuff like monstrosity in its current implementation does take a huge amount of time to do before you 'cap out' for most people.
 Asura.Ackeronll
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-12-01 08:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't be so butt hurt about monstrosity if they had at least implemented the stuff they promised before condoning it to death and despair.
[+]
By Mitruya 2014-12-02 10:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I have started (yet another) thread on the official forum asking SE to please finish developing Monstrosity. Add your voices! ^_^