Odin.Tamoa
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-11-26 13:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mariane said: »
Odin.Tamoa said: »
You select the spell and then tab (or whatever it is you use to move between cure targets) through all players nearby? Wow...

You have the mindset of a keyboard player. lol <tab> through all nearby targets is as impossible as you think.

With a gamepad you use the POV hat to cycle through the targets which matter (party/aliance). It IS <stal>, but you don't need to macro it as it's a intrinsic mechanic of the GUI. You can replicate that with the keyboard using the cursor keys while the target are open for a spell but that's cumbersome. The problem is that the keyboard "main function" is still enter text for the chat window. So it makes more sense use a macro set if you're using a keyboard.

You would only tab out for targets if you need to target people outside the aliance/party but then you also can use the POV (left/right) to target what's to your left or right. You can achieve the same effect by holding L-Shift while tabbing. But on the gamepad it's a little more agile.

Edit:

Further explanation, POV UP/DOWN cycle through party/aliance and LEFT/RIGHT cycle through any nearby targets(if no spell is selected or only through applicable targets if a spell or JA is selected).

Yes, I am a keyboard player, and the thought of tabbing through all possible targets hoping to eventually target the right one made me reel, hence why I asked if that's what you actually do. Never used a gamepad, so thanks for clarifying.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-26 15:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Remove all bloody doors from the game.
[+]
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-26 15:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Remove all bloody doors from the game.

Invisible butlers opens doors for you when you get close to them, ala FFXIV ? (lol)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-26 15:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't imagine how people don't play with keyboard this game. I never touched anything other than keyboard in 8 years or whatever. Works perfectly.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-26 15:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Dabilahro said: »
Flabbergasting!
^

I play with both, but can't stand not having a controller.
By volkom 2014-11-26 15:47:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't imagine how people don't play with keyboard this game. I never touched anything other than keyboard in 8 years or whatever. Works perfectly.
when i play~

i play with a controller

on the pc.
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-26 16:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm used to play on both and honestly gamepad wins by a long stretch. People need 3rd party helper stuff because they insist on using keyboard only.

But I suppose we all agree on one thing:

FFXI is unplayable with a mouse.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-26 16:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

^
By Jetackuu 2014-11-26 16:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Making WHM have A+ club rating, and increase their str stat.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-11-26 16:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

^

I AH without a mouse. XBox controller on PC, with a G-Series keyboard.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-26 16:34:40
Link | Quote | Reply

People need 3rd party helper stuff because they insist on using keyboard only
This makes no sense.

Like many other things in this thread.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-26 16:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I wasn't able to grasp the logic behind that statement either.
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-26 16:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

People need 3rd party helper stuff because they insist on using keyboard only
This makes no sense.

Like many other things in this thread.

I was nitpicking at gear swapping and "automatic casting" plugins for windower :P
 Quetzalcoatl.Farkle
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Aasa
By Quetzalcoatl.Farkle 2014-11-26 16:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloody doors? Using a mouse? Man - think BIG!

I say tie achievements into free play.. for example - 100% Sandy quest = 1 month free play

I say a new avatar - MH moogle - summon a moogle -can even be a 1 HR. your party can use it to change jobs and access mog safe/storage on the fly.

I say create TRUE relic (REM) GEAR, that compliments REM weapons - they can make the item the end all for that slot (for that REM weapon). Make it tuff and just as hard as a relic weapon - all for 1 slot.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-11-26 16:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm used to play on both and honestly gamepad wins by a long stretch. People need 3rd party helper stuff because they insist on using keyboard only.

Speak for yourself. Its all about comfort level. I have always played on keyboard and i can still do everything just as well as a gamepad. Having to put the gamepad down to start typing or something irked me. Assuming we aren't using skype for the event, keyboard kills two birds with one stone.

aka, can't have it both ways.
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-26 16:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

I just don't type. I'm usually too busy spamming curaga, cursna or stona to bother with typing.
By Pantafernando 2014-11-26 17:56:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Its possible use both keyboard and controller.

The thing i dislike in keyboard is movement control. Personally i think more ergonomic using thumbs for movement and camera instead using other fingers. But controller dont have the multi options to bind. So, i use the most crucial actions binded like stun. Sliding between macros to hit stun can be problematic when youre using 2 chars, binding stun in space makes fast just dropping the hand from controller and hit the button.
 Quetzalcoatl.Vivivivi
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Vivivivi
By Quetzalcoatl.Vivivivi 2014-11-27 00:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

-go to north
-go to Far East
-go to south

'-'
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2014-11-27 01:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

From personal experience I'd dare to say that habit > objective differences.
It kinda gives you a bias, a rightful and well justified one, towards one peripheral or the other.

Personally I'm a fan of the gamepad (I use it with the keyboard. A lot of stuff when I'm on mage jobs I just cast it with short commands thanks to Shortcuts now, and Spellcast before. I also use it to type of course) but I also think that aside from personal tastes/habits keyboard can lead to better performance.

The point is that FFXI is not FFXIV or WoW, you hardly need those fast timings and the game has quite a huge lag from input to execution. It just has an overall slower pace.
So even after having said this, I don't think the difference is as huge as some people wants to make it; gamepad is not as bad as many people think it is.
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2014-11-27 01:52:58
Link | Quote | Reply

#1 Engine update. That DirectX 8.1 needs to be upgraded. Keeps everything else the same.

#2 Instant gear swapping needs to go. Probably introduce something like 5sec delay to swap gear.

#3 Update with a bit more dynamic battles. Party vs. 1-3 targets at a time needs to be party vs hordes of mobs. The solid target lock delay needs to go. Allows 2H weapons to have large AOE mode for multiple targets. Tanks with AOE hate grab. 1H with higher raw single target damage than 2H.

#4 Reshuffle melee jobs along with new dynamic battles. Allows 2H knight-class (heavy armor) jobs to have similar damage taken reduction as tanks with access to AOE hate grab to allow them to tank with hordes. Greatly increases 1H raw damage against single targets. Greatly increases Shield utility (other than just blocking) with stun, AOE effects, reduce allies damage/debuff effects, deals lots more damage (15-30sec abilities), more shield affecting magic for Pld, more shield affecting abilities for War, Bst...etc.

#5 Split buffs and debuffs duties between the backline jobs. Make is so that people will always be missing some important buffs/debuffs even with 3-4 backline party members. Elemental magic users = strong AOE and single target nukes. Divine magic users = very strong against undead/demons/constructs with buffs and nukes. Bards = haste/acc buffs only. Healing = heal/regen/defense. Enfeebles magic users = weakens target dmg, def, atk speed and general crowd control. Enhancing magic users = attack, haste, DA, crits, damage reduction party buffs. Pet jobs = allows pet selection to buff/debuff same as other jobs but reduce pet switching.

#6 party swap + buffs abuse needs to go away. Probably make it so you will lose the buffs without that party member in your party.
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2014-11-27 04:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd overhaul SC and MB with the enmity system.

Enmity from the SC and subsequent MB damage values are stacked onto the player that opened the initial SC.

The enmity from the total damage would be calculated the same way as CE and VE values, except with its own category that is added on top of VE and CE caps.

Keep the SC/MB increased enmity cap low so the tank has to keep capped or near capped CE/VE values at all times to maintain hate. This forces people to pay attention, fosters team work, and makes tanks relevant again.

Make enemies have slightly less HP, substantially more melee capability, and counter zerg measures. Lower HP to compensate for the lack of Zerging ability, higher melee attacks to discourage HP sponging, and anti zerg measures to make it stick.
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2014-11-27 12:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wow, i just got it. I was thinking about FFTactics (PS version) whilst bumming pages out.

Cloud as a trust!!

Hell, all the old characters from Final Fantasy games. AS TRUSTS!
Even the newer ones like FFXIII if you like.

Change the name to FFXI - Trust. And Bob is your uncle.

Can you imagine running around with a Cloud with that Buster Sword waving about?

*edit* If this gets implemented 6 months down the line and we're all running around with Cloud/Barret/Aeris parties, I'm taking credit btw.
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-27 12:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Frankbrodie said: »
Oh wow, i just got it. I was thinking about FFTactics (PS version) whilst bumming pages out.

Cloud as a trust!!

Hell, all the old characters from Final Fantasy games. AS TRUSTS!
Even the newer ones like FFXIII if you like.

Change the name to FFXI - Trust. And Bob is your uncle.

Can you imagine running around with a Cloud with that Buster Sword waving about?

*edit* If this gets implemented 6 months down the line and we're all running around with Cloud/Barret/Aeris parties, I'm taking credit btw.

lol they did that on FFXIV with Lightning, no ?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-27 12:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Back to an actual suggestion: daken should work for any range weapon. It would fit soooo perfectly for cor/nin, imagine meleeing and randomly throwing shots in. Nin would still have a superior version thanks to the much higher activation rate, but shouldn't be shuriken onry.
By fonewear 2014-11-27 12:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm actually not reading a bunch of these comments, because the first 2 pages were filled with jokes and utter nonsense. Some decent ideas here and there.

If I had the ability to do it, I would help alleviate inventory issues heavily. That is my primary issue with ffxi. far too often I don't even have enough space in my bag to do a voidwatch or incursion run, because i'm literally at 77/80 with all my sets.

I would implement a method for merging and combining older gear into more condensed gear via either ToM or Synergy or some other NPC.

So for instance, collecting a Byakko's Haidate with a Tenryu Hakama could produce a separate piece of gear with more updated, but combined stats. Obviously this would take major amounts of time to implement, but it would give the players a cool and unique way to get rid of their old gear, while mixing and matching them with other slot options for better items. Random Augmenting is absolute garbage. At least give players the ability to fuse garments together. Will help alleviate inventory issues, as well as provide new gear for players.

Jokes on the internet alert the proper authorities.

Also PS2 limitations !

"The game was developed and ran on the Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti GPU"

Behold the power!
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-27 12:53:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
#1 Engine update. That DirectX 8.1 needs to be upgraded. Keeps everything else the same.

#2 Instant gear swapping needs to go. Probably introduce something like 5sec delay to swap gear.

#3 Update with a bit more dynamic battles. Party vs. 1-3 targets at a time needs to be party vs hordes of mobs. The solid target lock delay needs to go. Allows 2H weapons to have large AOE mode for multiple targets. Tanks with AOE hate grab. 1H with higher raw single target damage than 2H.

#4 Reshuffle melee jobs along with new dynamic battles. Allows 2H knight-class (heavy armor) jobs to have similar damage taken reduction as tanks with access to AOE hate grab to allow them to tank with hordes. Greatly increases 1H raw damage against single targets. Greatly increases Shield utility (other than just blocking) with stun, AOE effects, reduce allies damage/debuff effects, deals lots more damage (15-30sec abilities), more shield affecting magic for Pld, more shield affecting abilities for War, Bst...etc.

#5 Split buffs and debuffs duties between the backline jobs. Make is so that people will always be missing some important buffs/debuffs even with 3-4 backline party members. Elemental magic users = strong AOE and single target nukes. Divine magic users = very strong against undead/demons/constructs with buffs and nukes. Bards = haste/acc buffs only. Healing = heal/regen/defense. Enfeebles magic users = weakens target dmg, def, atk speed and general crowd control. Enhancing magic users = attack, haste, DA, crits, damage reduction party buffs. Pet jobs = allows pet selection to buff/debuff same as other jobs but reduce pet switching.

#6 party swap + buffs abuse needs to go away. Probably make it so you will lose the buffs without that party member in your party.

gO PLAY wow YOU JUST DESCRIBED IT.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-27 13:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll take #1, but aside from that "meh"

But I'll take removing gear swapping while engaged, yeah.
By fonewear 2014-11-27 13:11:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The inventory issue was always one of my biggest complaints. I certainly don't miss that part of the game.

Spending time sorting and sending things just to play your job is a major drag.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9