Forum » FFXI » General » If You Could Improve XI
If You Could Improve XI
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-11-26 08:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm actually not reading a bunch of these comments, because the first 2 pages were filled with jokes and utter nonsense. Some decent ideas here and there.

If I had the ability to do it, I would help alleviate inventory issues heavily. That is my primary issue with ffxi. far too often I don't even have enough space in my bag to do a voidwatch or incursion run, because i'm literally at 77/80 with all my sets.

I would implement a method for merging and combining older gear into more condensed gear via either ToM or Synergy or some other NPC.

So for instance, collecting a Byakko's Haidate with a Tenryu Hakama could produce a separate piece of gear with more updated, but combined stats. Obviously this would take major amounts of time to implement, but it would give the players a cool and unique way to get rid of their old gear, while mixing and matching them with other slot options for better items. Random Augmenting is absolute garbage. At least give players the ability to fuse garments together. Will help alleviate inventory issues, as well as provide new gear for players.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-11-26 09:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Creaucent Alazrin said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Cerberus.Tidis said: »
You would have to nerf more than Ochain and Aegis then, Priwen for example is comparable to Ochain providing you keep reprisal up, which is very easy to do in an event you'd bring PLD to.

You're not wrong, yeah. All shields would need reworking in light of a nerf to Aegis/Ochain so while they still remain top-tier, don't make PLD simply a impenetrable wall.

So what you are saying Is we kill off pld and everyone starts to bring a nin tank or DDS go /nin? A pld is supposed to be an impenetrable wall that is what a tank is. Nin blocks all single tank AoEs so are shadows going to be nerfed to 1 per spell or make it on a JA with a 40 sec timer so FC and haste doesn't make it so you can get them back up once they drop off. If you nerf Aegis and Ochain a lot of other things need nerfing too.

Tsumaru
Dharp
GHorn
most if not all RME
MNKs
Shadows
jobs with JA haste and equipment that enhances it.
Whm empyrean legs and those other legs from puppet in peril

Thats just a short list and im so glad that people like you don't make MMOs.

Ok, for starters, you need to calm down.

Now, allow me address your concerns for my opinions.

No, what I am saying isn't kill off PLD, and no, no it is not supposed to be an impenetrable wall. I can't believe I have to even say this, but perhaps you aren't quite familiar with MMOs, or quite frankly, RPGs overall.

The tank role is a defensive role that is more durable than other classes, it can take hits and survive them, given adequate support. What it isn't, or rather, what it shouldn't be, is an utter self-sufficient wall that today's FFXI portraits Paladin to be.

The job as it stands is incredibly hard to kill outside of special means SE quite frankly has no choice but to implement to circumvent their own stupidity at this point.

Now, not to call upon a dead horse here, but I suppose it is necessary. Even at the 75cap, and even with Aegis, a PLD was killable, given inadequate support. As it stands now, that just simply isn't true anymore. Even with poor support, a PLD can not only survive, but quite frankly, be in good health. Outside of the specials means though of course. That, again, have had no choice but to be implemented to counter FFXI's idea of Paladin. It has been very badly developed over the years.

You're correct in regards to a whole lot of other things needing to be rebalanced if Ochain and Aegis were to see a decrease in strength, however. That is just the sad state FFXI has become, though. Boss monsters are implemented with the two shields ridiculous strength in mind, and even then, it's like they underestimate their own designs time and time again.
By volkom 2014-11-26 09:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

i like this thread <3

One thing I want to see improved is better character models/textures. Don't like seeing huge blocky fingers
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-26 09:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

step 1) remove every job besides blu

step 2) give blu the ability to use geomancy and sing ghorn ballads

step 3) ???

step 4) there need be no further steps, perfection is at hand
[+]
 Sylph.Leafe
Server: Sylph
user: Leafe
By Sylph.Leafe 2014-11-26 09:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mariane said: »
FaeQueenCory said: »
So I have to ask, are you using <stal>?

No, because I play with a game pad, like the game was originally designed to be played... lol But really I don't have much trouble with that because I usually keep the monster targeted instead. And I only "navigate" to the curing target after the spell is selected (that's pretty much what <stal> does for people playing on a keyboard, no ?).

Does <stal> not work properly/at all on a gamepad? Honest question. I play on a keyboard myself, but the person who first taught me about using <stal> and <stpt> played on a gamepad, so that's why I found this response surprising.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-26 10:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Dunno if this was said but..
-Discontinue PS2 support globally

Was talking to a JP guy the other day on union and the comments spilled to PS2. The guy mentioned black screens. lol

Well we know the PS2 is on it's last leg where FFXI is concerned. They (SE) are probably just waiting to gut PS2 support completely by the next few months. I really tried to play it the other day and it was borderline playable at doing mog garden chores... -_-;
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-26 10:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Leafe said: »
Does <stal> not work properly/at all on a gamepad? Honest question. I play on a keyboard myself, but the person who first taught me about using <stal> and <stpt> played on a gamepad, so that's why I found this response surprising.

It does work properly but really it's cumbersome to use the macros menu with a game pad (with a keyboard it makes more sense as it saves you a lot of keypresses). On a gamepad you use about the same number of keypresses to navigate a properly ordered spells list (you should put the stuff you use more on the top or the bottom of your spell list for practicality) or the macros strip.

On a keyboard you just punch CTRL/ALT + Number and you have it.

Letting the game pad on the table to press the keyboard key combo for the desired effect might actually slow you down instead of giving you any advantage (considering the level of skill at using the game pad of course). If you're good at using a keyboard to play, you're good at using a keyboard to play and trying something else will obviously impair your performance.

It's a good thing this game let you do the same things in several different ways. heh

edit: Boo if I knew it would end like this I would just have my previous post edited ... -_-;
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2014-11-26 10:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You would have to nerf more than Ochain and Aegis then, Priwen for example is comparable to Ochain providing you keep reprisal up, which is very easy to do in an event you'd bring PLD to.

You're not wrong, yeah. All shields would need reworking in light of a nerf to Aegis/Ochain so while they still remain top-tier, don't make PLD simply a impenetrable wall.

So what you are saying Is we kill off pld and everyone starts to bring a nin tank or DDS go /nin? A pld is supposed to be an impenetrable wall that is what a tank is. Nin blocks all single tank AoEs so are shadows going to be nerfed to 1 per spell or make it on a JA with a 40 sec timer so FC and haste doesn't make it so you can get them back up once they drop off. If you nerf Aegis and Ochain a lot of other things need nerfing too.

Tsumaru
Dharp
GHorn
most if not all RME
MNKs
Shadows

No, what I am saying isn't kill off PLD, and no, no it is not supposed to be an impenetrable wall. I can't believe I have to even say this, but perhaps you aren't quite familiar with MMOs, or quite frankly, RPGs overall.

The tank role is a defensive role that is more durable than other classes, it can take hits and survive them, given adequate support. What it isn't, or rather, what it shouldn't be, is an utter self-sufficient wall that today's FFXI portraits Paladin to be.

The job as it stands is incredibly hard to kill outside of special means SE quite frankly has no choice but to implement to circumvent their own stupidity at this point.

Now, not to call upon a dead horse here, but I suppose it is necessary. Even at the 75cap, and even with Aegis, a PLD was killable, given inadequate support. As it stands now, that just simply isn't true anymore. Even with poor support, a PLD can not only survive, but quite frankly, be in good health. Outside of the specials means though of course. That, again, have had no choice but to be implemented to counter FFXI's idea of Paladin. It has been very badly developed over the years.

You're correct in regards to a whole lot of other things needing to be rebalanced if Ochain and Aegis were to see a decrease in strength, however. That is just the sad state FFXI has become, though. Boss monsters are implemented with the two shields ridiculous strength in mind, and even then, it's like they underestimate their own designs time and time again.

Makes me laugh when people tell you to calm down on Internet forums... I was quite happy eating my hot roast beef sandwich with onion gravy and a latte. Anyway unless you are doing AAs and some other HM fights you don't need a tank the DDS can do that fine. Hell I 7 manned a Wopket with DD cors, cor is rather squishy, and we were tanking 1-5+B just fine. There are quite a few tanks in MMOS and RPGs that are hard to kill and take little damage most of the tank jobs in FF are harder to kill for bosses. Destiny's tank class is pretty much invincible, from what I've heard about wow they are also rather hard to kill. XIVs two tanks atm can go down quick to some mobs but that's because they do 5k+ damage a hit.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-11-26 10:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Destiny is an absolute deliciously hilarious example, thanks for that. I mean, I'm not even sure how to comment on this. It's invincible in a bubble it can only put up every so often, and it doesn't move?

Tank classes are generally quite durable yes, that is the point. That only matters when they're under support though. Without it, they won't last long.

FFXI's Paladin with it's legendary shields that are by no means hard to acquire will keep a PLD standing with very little effort from the PLD themselves, or the support. Man, they can just face tank pretty much everything now, something that was previously a death sentence as back at 75 cap in most instances.

The current usefulness of Paladin is irrelevant in this discussion. Since we're talking about my vision of FFXI, it would play a significant role in the endgame I would have designed, as how it should be. That role is subject to skillful input from the player, however. It wouldn't simply be a player hiding behind a severely overpowered shield laughing at their sheer invincibility, like how it currently is in today's FFXI.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-11-26 10:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Destiny is an absolute deliciously hilarious example, thanks for that. I mean, I'm not even sure how to comment on this. It's invincible in a bubble it can only put up every so often, and it doesn't move?

Tank classes are generally quite durable yes, that is the point. That only matters when they're under support though. Without it, they won't last long.

FFXI's Paladin with it's legendary shields that are by no means hard to acquire will keep a PLD standing with very little effort from the PLD themselves, or the support. Man, they can just face tank pretty much everything now, something that was previously a death sentence as back at 75 cap in most instances.

The current usefulness of Paladin is irrelevant in this discussion. Since we're talking about my vision of FFXI, it would play a significant role in the endgame I would have designed, as how it should be. That role is subject to skillful input from the player, however. It wouldn't simply be a player hiding behind a severely overpowered shield laughing at their sheer invincibility, like how it currently is in today's FFXI.
I don't know where you get this idea PLD is an unbeatable wall though, I'll tank ***in full PDT most of the time but there are still things that can drop me pretty quick, that I'll need a bit more than a cure IV to cover.

Any SAM NM (eg Tenzen and AA GK) using WS > WS > SC > WS > Light, does a lot of damage, AA EV has killed me before with a combination of Holy II > Arrogance, Arrogance by itself does a lot of damage unless you have a very good BDT set.

Mithra will destroy an Ochain PLD pretty quickly with Cloudsplitter spam unless they're /RUN spamming lightning runes, CS > CS > Darkness just does ridiculous damage to non-Aegis PLDs.

When you're face tanking a large group of mobs you still have to line them up and potentially survive kiting them, especially in Delve mobs can have a tendency to walk up walls and go behind you where the shield is worthless (remember all those PLDs who died in plasm farming runs back when Delve came out.)

Of course maybe I just suck but when I'm on PLD I definitely don't feel like I can't die, sure I'm pretty confident I won't but I wouldn't be happy if my party turned round to me and said, ok you're unkillable, we won't support you in any way.
 Lakshmi.Amymy
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-11-26 10:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Tsumaru
Dharp
GHorn
most if not all RME
MNKs
Shadows

Makes me laugh when people tell you to calm down on Internet forums... I was quite happy eating my hot roast beef sandwich with onion gravy and a latte. Anyway unless you are doing AAs and some other HM fights you don't need a tank the DDS can do that fine. Hell I 7 manned a Wopket with DD cors, cor is rather squishy, and we were tanking 1-5+B just fine. There are quite a few tanks in MMOS and RPGs that are hard to kill and take little damage most of the tank jobs in FF are harder to kill for bosses. Destiny's tank class is pretty much invincible, from what I've heard about wow they are also rather hard to kill. XIVs two tanks atm can go down quick to some mobs but that's because they do 5k+ damage a hit.

Paladin is very killable, see that harpy in bird delve, the 5 aa among others. They hard to kill but it's not like paladin can just engage n afk tank
By volkom 2014-11-26 10:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

WOAH WOAH WOAH. Destiny tank class? You mean the Titan?

with the Thunder Dome(lol)? You are not invincible in that shield (in pvp). There are significant trade offs with the bonuses of that shield.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Quetzalcoatl.Farkle
user: Aasa
By Quetzalcoatl.Farkle 2014-11-26 10:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Let us play as beast men. Different job classes, nation missions, quests, separate AH, everything.. ... just do FFXI all over again but as a beastman.

Can redo all the missions and expansions at a beastman POV too.

That's a few more years of content right there....
By volkom 2014-11-26 11:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I would instantly resub if i could be a goblin mercenary in 119+ gear and drop some gobby bombs on people in exp camps
 Carbuncle.Nibu
Server: Carbuncle
user: nibu
By Carbuncle.Nibu 2014-11-26 11:13:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I would fix the beetle foot.

I would call it the "Beetle Foot Update."
[+]
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-11-26 11:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Content wise:

-Significant nerf to Aegis and Ochain.

I just fixed your endgame in 5mis.

Your saying to weaken a job thats already struggling to keep up with content as it stands is your fix? I'll have to ecco byrth.

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
God damn am I glad most of you are not running the game. Some of this ***makes SE's ideas look good.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-26 11:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Let BLU turn into soulflayers in their mog house :)
What are you planning to do to your moogle?
[+]
 Leviathan.Syagin
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-11-26 11:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Tsumaru
Dharp
GHorn
most if not all RME
MNKs
Shadows

Either you have not left abyssea since it has been released or you have never fought Her
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-11-26 11:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Farkle said: »
Let us play as beast men. Different job classes, nation missions, quests, separate AH, everything.. ... just do FFXI all over again but as a beastman. Can redo all the missions and expansions at a beastman POV too. That's a few more years of content right there....

Interesting idea here. Monstrosity ventured into that atmosphere (although very briefly) and it never was impressive to me. Few people i know play Monstrosity, though I know what you're thinking personally. I just think there would be waaaayyyy too much of a time sink devoted to each beastmen, tribe and interaction with other beasts, it doesn't seem practical. It would literally be like creating an entirely different ffxi universe from the "Beast" side, with races being the opposer. I'm not convinced I would care about any of that. But its an interesting concept.

I do wish PvP could have been reignited, but that ship is long gone.
 Leviathan.Syagin
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-11-26 12:01:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Beastmasters calling multi pets at once would be preaty badass though...
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-11-26 12:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Afania said: »
Let BLU turn into soulflayers in their mog house :)
What are you planning to do to your moogle?

Tentacle rape and my moogle is named Kenneth
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-26 12:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nibu said: »
I would fix the beetle foot.

I would call it the "Beetle Foot Update."

Hilarious enough the same beetle has it's foot perfectly fine on the PS2. If the PS2 version retire, only beetles with broken foot will remain.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-11-26 12:29:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Syagin said: »
Beastmasters calling multi pets at once would be preaty badass though...

I actually don't really know why this is an issue, tbh. At the current moment, you can have 3 trusts, a pet (or wyvern/pup/avatar) as well as your lolFellow NPC. That's 6 characters in a group.

They could just as easily allow BST to call 2 pets for a limited time (say 5minutes duration, then one diminishes, 10minute recast). Wouldn't kill the jug ammo either, since BST has a JA that occasionally does not consume jugs iirc. Just make it so that the extra pet has either weaker stats or takes the place of a trust or NPC, so that you are still limited to that +5 cap. Edit: It certainly would really improve BST spot in party setup as well for a DD.
 Lakshmi.Amymy
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-11-26 12:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Tsumaru
Dharp
GHorn
most if not all RME
MNKs
Shadows

Either you have not left abyssea since it has been released or you have never fought Her

Yup. Don't know what Kenru is talking about
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-11-26 13:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Create a quest able item, Moogle Whistle. Necklace with Unlimited Charges, usable once every hour. Allows you to call your moogle to wherever you are and access all inventories, merits, job points, etc etc.
 Cerberus.Kodaijin
user: Kodaijin
By Cerberus.Kodaijin 2014-11-26 13:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Amymy said: »
So what you are saying Is we kill off pld and everyone starts to bring a nin tank or DDS go /nin? A pld is supposed to be an impenetrable wall that is what a tank is. Nin blocks all single tank AoEs so are shadows going to be nerfed to 1 per spell or make it on a JA with a 40 sec timer so FC and haste doesn't make it so you can get them back up once they drop off. If you nerf Aegis and Ochain a lot of other things need nerfing too. Tsumaru Dharp GHorn most if not all RME MNKs Shadows jobs with JA haste and equipment that enhances it. Whm empyrean legs and those other legs from puppet in peril Thats just a short list and im so glad that people like you don't make MMOs.
Ok, for starters, you need to calm down. Now, allow me address your concerns for my opinions. No, what I am saying isn't kill off PLD, and no, no it is not supposed to be an impenetrable wall. I can't believe I have to even say this, but perhaps you aren't quite familiar with MMOs, or quite frankly, RPGs overall. The tank role is a defensive role that is more durable than other classes, it can take hits and survive them, given adequate support. What it isn't, or rather, what it shouldn't be, is an utter self-sufficient wall that today's FFXI portraits Paladin to be. The job as it stands is incredibly hard to kill outside of special means SE quite frankly has no choice but to implement to circumvent their own stupidity at this point. Now, not to call upon a dead horse here, but I suppose it is necessary. Even at the 75cap, and even with Aegis, a PLD was killable, given inadequate support. As it stands now, that just simply isn't true anymore. Even with poor support, a PLD can not only survive, but quite frankly, be in good health. Outside of the specials means though of course. That, again, have had no choice but to be implemented to counter FFXI's idea of Paladin. It has been very badly developed over the years. You're correct in regards to a whole lot of other things needing to be rebalanced if Ochain and Aegis were to see a decrease in strength, however. That is just the sad state FFXI has become, though. Boss monsters are implemented with the two shields ridiculous strength in mind, and even then, it's like they underestimate their own designs time and time again.
Yup. Don't know what Kenru is talking about

Same here. I have almost evertyhing needed for PLD cept mythic and there are plenty of things that can make things go wrong very fast. I do have to say that it is mildly amusing to stand in older content that used to be considered end game and afk while getting hit by a whole zone worth of mobs for 0 dmg.
 Odin.Tamoa
Server: Odin
user: Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-11-26 13:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

No, because I play with a game pad, like the game was originally designed to be played... lol But really I don't have much trouble with that because I usually keep the monster targeted instead. And I only "navigate" to the curing target after the spell is selected (that's pretty much what <stal> does for people playing on a keyboard, no ?).

You select the spell and then tab (or whatever it is you use to move between cure targets) through all players nearby? Wow...
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-11-26 13:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Tamoa said: »
You select the spell and then tab (or whatever it is you use to move between cure targets) through all players nearby? Wow...

I do the same thing when I play BRD and GEO and I'm curing and stuff. My F2-6 keys no longer target other players, so it's even more difficult to heal and cure players without a controller (i play on keyboard).

But Lua Nostrum solves this issue anyways. It just needs to be expanded to include other jobs as well (BLU Magic Fruite, Winds of Promy, White Wind etc).
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-26 13:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

You have the mindset of a keyboard player. lol <tab> through all nearby targets is as impossible as you think.

With a gamepad you use the POV hat to cycle through the targets which matter (party/aliance). It IS <stal>, but you don't need to macro it as it's a intrinsic mechanic of the GUI. You can replicate that with the keyboard using the cursor keys while the target are open for a spell but that's cumbersome. The problem is that the keyboard "main function" is still enter text for the chat window. So it makes more sense use a macro set if you're using a keyboard.

You would only tab out for targets if you need to target people outside the aliance/party but then you also can use the POV (left/right) to target what's to your left or right. You can achieve the same effect by holding L-Shift while tabbing. But on the gamepad it's a little more agile.

Edit:

Further explanation, POV UP/DOWN cycle through party/aliance and LEFT/RIGHT cycle through any nearby targets(if no spell is selected or only through applicable targets if a spell or JA is selected).
By Nyruul 2014-11-26 13:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You have the mindset of a keyboard player. lol <tab> through all nearby targets is as impossible as you think.

With a gamepad you use the POV hat to cycle through the targets which matter (party/aliance). It IS <stal>, but you don't need to macro it as it's a intrinsic mechanic of the GUI. You can replicate that with the keyboard using the cursor keys while the target are open for a spell but that's cumbersome. The problem is that the keyboard "main function" is still enter text for the chat window. So it makes more sense use a macro set if you're using a keyboard.

You would only tab out for targets if you need to target people outside the aliance/party but then you also can use the POV (left/right) to target what's to your left or right. You can achieve the same effect by holding L-Shift while tabbing. But on the gamepad it's a little more agile.

You have the mindset of a controller player. I've used both(originally played on PS2.) Atfirst I hated keyboard but realized how much better it was eventually. <stal> <stpt> with keyboard macros are much better. But it is my opinion I suppose.

Edit: Also this game was not specifically designed for controllers OR keyboards. It was designed for both.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9