Networks Won't Air Obama Speech

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Networks won't air Obama speech
Networks won't air Obama speech
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-21 11:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Honestly all these years later I don't see why you'd come out and accuse rape unless something actually happened.

You don't think they will serve to gain monetarily by going on news shows and throwing allegations?

As if "Tonight on 20/20, the women who were raped by Dr. Huxtable" doesn't grab viewers.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-21 11:10:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
This is just another example of how the left wing media carries the water for Obama. His proposal is not supported by a vast majority of people. So let's make sure as few people become aware of it as they need to.

Yes, because Fox is definitely left wing.
Quote:
Officials with ABC, CBS and Fox confirmed to The Hill that Obama's 8 p.m. speech from the White House will not be carried on their networks. CNN reported that NBC would not be carrying the address either.

Cable news networks are expected to carry the address, as is the Spanish-language networks Univision and Telemundo.
And Univision and Telemundo are world renowned for their conservative stances.
By Ramyrez 2014-11-21 11:36:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm more leery about people at the top of their career being accused of rape because it can often be a money grab but when this many women make statements? Ehhhh, you're probably not squeaky clean. Shame, I'll have to compartmentalize the Cosby persona from Bill Cosby himself.

This is pretty much it and the reason that I'm remaining as even-keeled about this as I am in regard to not judging him immediately but it doesn't look good, that's for sure.

Bolded part is really the issue. His public presence for so long was so positive, he was almost omni-present in my life as a child. We listened to his stand-up tapes in the car, watched his show, bought pudding, ffs. I saw him live a few years ago, and he still killed. He was hillarious.

It's so hard to try to weigh all the good stuff he's done versus repeatedly comitting such terrible violations of people with his trust.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-11-21 11:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly all these years later I don't see why you'd come out and accuse rape unless something actually happened.

You don't think they will serve to gain monetarily by going on news shows and throwing allegations?

As if "Tonight on 20/20, the women who were raped by Dr. Huxtable" doesn't grab viewers.

I will say that the most recent accuser, at least, loses credibility just based on who she is. I'm not super familiar with her but a few female coworkers who follow celebs a bit closer than I do were telling me about her, and apparently she's the kind of person who where anything bad happens, and she's throwing herself out there as a victim of it.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-11-21 11:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed one of my heroes is probably a rapist climbing in windows, druggin' his victims up but yet again a lesson on not idolizing people and remembering that TV is fake.

Like Donald Trumps hairline.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-21 12:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed one of my heroes is probably a rapist climbing in windows, druggin' his victims up but yet again a lesson on not idolizing people and remembering that TV is fake.

It's sad that you've let yourself be swayed by unproven allegations.

Anyways, lets get back to Obama wiping his *** with the constitution.

Impeachment!
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-11-21 12:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sadly, this seems to be a growing trend lately. There are a few British celebrities and one Australian celebrity who have been accused within the past couple of years of rape dating back 30+ years. One of them was actually found to be guilty, although I still don't know how.
By Nyruul 2014-11-21 12:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wejt939QXko
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-21 12:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Impeachment!
Just as sad as you throwing out unproven allegations against the women...
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
Server: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-11-21 13:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys do realize that this is not anything new.. Presidents have been using their "Power of Commander-in-Chief" or "Executive Powers" since our nation started. He has every right to do this by law. He has already used this tactic a few times in his presidency..

This will, however, have to go through the Supreme Court as all of the past decisions have. If the Supreme Court deems this unconstitutional then they can denounce the decision, but it is doubtful that will happen. Until it does he can still go through with this 100% and without much actual political backlash.

Here are some examples of past Supreme Court Decisions on "Executive Power".

http://desart.us/courses/3150/powercases.html

Coincidentally, Congress.. and the President, can go to the Supreme Court to have a law passed that either Congress or the President keep shutting down as long as the Supreme Court finds the law or policy to be in the best interest of the American people and constitutional.

So.. the Supreme Court is like the lazy father of the two spoiled children. These children are constantly fighting with one another until the father finally steps in and says "ENOUGH YOU LITTLE SHITS!"

But as much as you might not like it.. what Obama is doing is not against the law. It is within his rights as the President and it will require the Supreme Court, not congress, to shut him down. Even then.. he can just ignore the ruling without much recourse. (As Lincoln did when he suspended the writ of habeus corpus during the Civil War)
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-11-21 14:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So, it wasn't the alleged victims who recently made the claims about Bill Cosby. It seems the claims have been around since at least 2005 but news networks didn't really cover it.

However, Hannibal Buress recently did a stand up routine bashing Cosby about the rape allegations.

How Hannibal Buress Rehashed the Bill Cosby Rape Allegations
The Chicago comic last month sparked new scrutiny on old accusations. How did he do it, and why is it happening now?

civil lawsuit settled in 2006
By Ramyrez 2014-11-21 14:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I was familiar with a past history of allegations of impropriety, but admittedly was under the impression that they'd been settled (both figuratively and literally).

Celebraties often settle court cases like this regardless of guilt because, frankly, taking it to trial can be more expensive both from a cash standpoint and public image standpoint, even when they're entirely innocent.

On a side note, regardless of the messenger, not all of Cosby's criticisms are entirely inaccurate either. There are valid points to be made in some of his words, even if others ring hollow in light of current events.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-21 14:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

This is just another example of how the left wing media carries the water for Obama. His proposal is not supported by a vast majority of people. So let's make sure as few people become aware of it as they need to.

He's a lawless president, re-writing laws as e sees fit from the executive branch. Our democracy is in peril, it's time for impeachment.
got a good laugh from that, thanks.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-21 14:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Enuyasha said: »
Yea, logically, if the worry is how illegal immigrants are stealing our jobs (that noone wants to do anyway mind you) The best way to fix that economic wound would be to make them legal citizens entitled to all of the same tax burdens and despair as the rest of us. More money for the economy, more money for big pharma when all the mexicans become americans and dope themselves up on antidepressants because they finally realize its not greener on the other side.

That's not the worry, and I said nothing about illegals stealing jobs. There's plenty of jobs that are being done by immigrants (legal or not legal) that citizens want to do, but that's not the point here.
But hasnt the superconservative argument always been "THEYRE STEALING OUR JOBS GUIZ!"?

Its only recently they started actually caring about "National Security" and "But what if those Mexicans have criminal records in Mexico" and "Terrorists".

Yea, its not the point...but are we actually going to see the point in this thread anyway :|

Perhaps, idk, idc? I'm not a "superconservative" in that same note I'm not what people refer to as a "liberal" either.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-21 14:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
As far as Bill Cosby is concerned it's a loss no matter what. The idea of a trial or formal prosecution is almost pointless at this stage.

Either a good man's reputation is tarnished because a good portion of the court of public opinion has already convinted him, or they're telling the truth and all of these women suffered a revolting violation.

There's no good in this. There's only bad and worse. And chances are we can never know the truth, so we're left with that ugly, lingering cloud of doubt of a man who is otherwise considered one of the all-time greats in his field, and who has otherwise done countless positive things for this country.

Honestly, the whole situation makes my stomach turn.
kind of my thoughts on the whole Lance Armstrong thing.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-21 14:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »

Impeachment!

Flavin the strawman strikes again!

I have announced my skepticism because there is no way to prove their stories. That is different than coming out and calling them liars.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-11-21 14:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

On a side note, regardless of the messenger, not all of Cosby's criticisms are entirely inaccurate either. There are valid points to be made in some of his words, even if others ring hollow in light of current events.

This is really what bothers me. Once we're all done pillorying Cosby all the good points he made in the past are going to become tainted with a 'says a rapist' zinger that's almost too easy to not use.

Ah well, I'm gonna eat some Jello, drink a beer and reevaluate my life now. What's next?

Bill Nye a serial killer?
Neil DeGrasse Tyson punching babies in an ICU?
Pee Wee Herman caught jerking off?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-21 14:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Impeachment!

I have announced my skepticism because there is no way to prove their stories. That is different than coming out and calling them liars.
I'm Flavin the strawman now? lol...

You alleged that they would benefit financially from making allegations against Bill Cosby...

In any case you doubting the validity of their claims instantaneously is no different from anyone doubting his innocence.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-21 14:54:28
Link | Quote | Reply

This is really what bothers me. Once we're all done pillorying Cosby all the good points he made in the past are going to become tainted with a 'says a rapist' zinger that's almost too easy to not use.

Ah well, I'm gonna eat some Jello, drink a beer and reevaluate my life now. What's next?

Bill Nye a serial killer?
Neil DeGrasse Tyson punching babies in an ICU?
Pee Wee Herman caught jerking off?
heh.
By Ramyrez 2014-11-21 14:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh. I can see why you'd draw some degree of parallel to a point, but I don't really think they're the same at all.

And frankly, I don't give a ***about PEDs in sports. Today's next-big-thing-in-sports-nutrition-and-supplements is tomorrow's banned PED.

Hell, PEDs can make sports more fun to watch. Not always healthy for the athelete, but then again, neither is playing some sports in the first place.

Being a rapist can't make someone funnier. Ever.
By volkom 2014-11-21 14:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh. I can see why you'd draw some degree of parallel to a point, but I don't really think they're the same at all.

And frankly, I don't give a ***about PEDs in sports. Today's next-big-thing-in-sports-nutrition-and-supplements is tomorrow's banned PED.

Hell, PEDs can make sports more fun to watch. Not always healthy for the athelete, but then again, neither is playing some sports in the first place.

for all the cyclist that used PEDs, Lance Armstrong looks pretty healthy compared to the other guys
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-21 14:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Impeachment!

I'm Flavin the strawman now? lol...

You alleged that they would benefit financially from making allegations against Bill Cosby...

In any case you doubting the validity of their claims instantaneously is no different from anyone doubting his innocence.

Basing the burden of proof on the accuser is different than putting the burden of proof on the accused. People are innocent until proven guilty.

Do you still not see the difference?
By Jetackuu 2014-11-21 15:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I was going to point out the difference, but I figured it would be done for me, so I figured what the hell. Just more of the point of the end "what good comes from making a deal about it" bit.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-21 15:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Yes, because Fox is definitely left wing.
Quote:
Officials with ABC, CBS and Fox confirmed to The Hill that Obama's 8 p.m. speech from the White House will not be carried on their networks. CNN reported that NBC would not be carrying the address either.

Cable news networks are expected to carry the address, as is the Spanish-language networks Univision and Telemundo.
And Univision and Telemundo are world renowned for their conservative stances.
You missed the NBC part.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-21 15:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

On Bill Cosby, I stopped paying attention once one of these so called victims from 30 years ago said this:

"Oh. Um, I was kind of stoned at the time, and quite honestly, that didn't even enter my mind. Now I wish it would have."

About biting off his penis.

Don Lemon Asks Bill Cosby Accuser Why She Didn't Bite His Penis To Stop Her Rape
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-21 15:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

bull, if she was high she would have thought it was a 7-11 hotdog and bit that *** off (sarcasm)
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-21 16:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
On Bill Cosby, I stopped paying attention once one of these so called victims from 30 years ago said this:

"Oh. Um, I was kind of stoned at the time, and quite honestly, that didn't even enter my mind. Now I wish it would have."

Don Lemon Asks Bill Cosby Accuser Why She Didn't Bite His Penis To Stop Her Rape
Oh my god, that wasn't satire :|
By Jetackuu 2014-11-21 16:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Lemon said:
“A word about my interview last night with Cosby accuser Joan Tarshis. As I am a victim myself, I would never want to suggest that any victim could have prevented a rape. If my question to her struck anyone as insensitive, I am sorry as that is certainly and was not my intention.”

said that as a follow up, just an fyi.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-21 16:03:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

Oh my god, that wasn't satire :|
Well it is Huff Post from an alleged incident from 45 years ago.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-21 16:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh the classic "Please don't take my words to mean what they actually meant" apology. 10/10, would roll my eyes again.
[+]