Forum » FFXI » General » Returning player questions
Returning player questions
 Ragnarok.Lawsonofabiotch
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Lawson
By Ragnarok.Lawsonofabiotch 2014-11-14 09:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Just came back from a long break, probably over a year. Just a few questions.

Where are people lvling/meriting now? Aby seems dead.

I have several jobs 99, but which ones should I concentrate on now if I want to get back into the endgame/gear progression activities?

What are the "endgame" activities people are currently doing?

Any help is appreciated.
 Siren.Scottyb
Server: Siren
user: scottyb
By Siren.Scottyb 2014-11-14 12:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Likewise if anyone could point me in the direction of a returning players guide I would be greatful.

Stopped playing almost as soon as Adoulin was released
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-14 12:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Lawsonofabiotch said: »
Where are people lvling/meriting now? Aby seems dead.
Many just solo using trust.

I have several jobs 99, but which ones should I concentrate on now if I want to get back into the endgame/gear progression activities?
Support jobs are usually the easier to bring to things and get invites, brd slot tends to be the most demanding though as people expect at least 3 songs.

What are the "endgame" activities people are currently doing?
Incursion and high level BC. Some might still be doing Delve, but I doubt it, I haven't seen a shout about it here in ages. But anyway if you get some connections you could do about everything.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-11-14 13:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The best time to go to Abyssea is usually on a Monday night. At 10 PM EST, the Record of Eminence limited challenge for Gain Experience activates. For that following 3 hours, every time you gain 5k exp, you'll gain an additional 1.5k, effectively increasing your exp gain by about 30%. This is by far the most ideal time to be gaining experience, and the result is (at least on my server), people tend to flock to Abyssea during this time.

Oh yeah, in case you hadn't already, sign up for Records of Eminence (found in your Quest log).

#1 thing to do if you're returning is to find people you get along with. It may take time, but it's hard to argue the most fun you've had and will likely ever have in this game is in the company of people you genuinely enjoy.
 Ragnarok.Laws
By Ragnarok.Laws 2014-11-14 13:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, this is my main now. Thanks for the replies all. I started RoE last night after I learned about it and got done unlocking Blade: Hi. I just joined an LS, and they all seem pretty nice, but are obviously way more progressed than I am. A few old friends sent me some tells and said they could give me a hand with some stuff once I got back in the groove. Need to get my Trust going, and I'll probably start that tonight. Really appreciate the help. Also found this thread on BG for returning players.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/111484-New-or-Returning-Players-Discussion-2-SoA-Homeless-Veterans-Edition

Also, do people still do Reives and WKR? Was possibly gonna try to do some of them for skill-ups/merits/gear. Thanks again!
 Asura.Kaoriasada
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kaoriasada 2014-11-14 13:47:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Laws said: »
Sorry, this is my main now. Thanks for the replies all. I started RoE last night after I learned about it and got done unlocking Blade: Hi. I just joined an LS, and they all seem pretty nice, but are obviously way more progressed than I am. A few old friends sent me some tells and said they could give me a hand with some stuff once I got back in the groove. Need to get my Trust going, and I'll probably start that tonight. Really appreciate the help. Also found this thread on BG for returning players.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/111484-New-or-Returning-Players-Discussion-2-SoA-Homeless-Veterans-Edition

Also, do people still do Reives and WKR? Was possibly gonna try to do some of them for skill-ups/merits/gear. Thanks again!

Most people solo their own reives (You have to have certain KIs that are quested to hit them.) and people do WKR daily, you just have to stay tuned to /yell which can be seen in Jeuno, White Gate, and Chocobo Circuit. Reives are soloable, WKR are not.
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2014-11-14 13:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

There's currently an event for WKRs where the cost for KIs is reduced exponentially, and additional items have also been added to the drop tables for each NM. I've personally been receiving 2-3 gear drops, along with 1-2 HP bayld and an additional item for each WKR I've done. Now is a perfect time to start doing that, especially in combination with the RoE objectives for each WKR and the augmentation system.
 Ragnarok.Laws
By Ragnarok.Laws 2014-11-14 13:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Was thinking Support would be the way to go. I do have a 99 COR, but my gear is probably decent at best now (A mix of old-school upgraded relic and empy gear). Was going to try to start soloing Dyna on my BST for relic gear and try to start working on the new upgraded sets. I love my NIN though, and pretty much quit last time because the job had lost most of its demand after Adoulin areas became more popular. Guess I can focus on COR, BST, and either SAM or WAR for now till I get better equipped and then start working on my NIN for fun.
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2014-11-14 13:54:08
Link | Quote | Reply

COR is a superb job to enter into end-game content with. You'll have easy access to AA fights, and can use the chapters from those fights to upgrade your COR gear or work on other jobs.
 Ragnarok.Laws
By Ragnarok.Laws 2014-11-14 13:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the KIs to damage the objects in Reives. I'll get my Trust filled out and start working on them. Hopefully I can hop on a WKR sometime soon. Thanks so much for all the help everyone. My new LS seems to run a lot of Skirmish and the AA/Ouryu fights. I'll read up on these some more and ask how I can contribute. Love this community, thats why I always come back lol.