users online
Forum » FFXI » General » emergency maintenance 11/11/14
emergency maintenance 11/11/14
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-11-11 11:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm assuming this is to fix the linkpearl and party glitch errors. Idk how they could let the game go live with those issues.

Fix one thing, break another
[+]
 Lakshmi.Neboh
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-11-11 11:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry to hear about your Trux earring because of it. Lol. I've been there and it sucks when you lose items because of glitches.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-11-11 11:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I ended up winning the trux lot. Alliance disbanded and invited me before it fell. But we lost right after that cuz party was half in and out. I need to be reimbursed those twenty merits.
 Lakshmi.Khyal
user: kelman66
By Lakshmi.Khyal 2014-11-11 11:55:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry to hear about your loss, but I find it laughable that you expect perfection.
No matter how much testing you do, things pop up when released that you cannot predict. Or sometimes, the only way to find the problem is to release it.
Could you please take over the reigns if you can do it better? thanx

Frankly I think what they do is amazing.

Of all the things happening in the world today, if this is the worst thing that happens to you today, you are doing pretty good.
Call the newspaper up and tell them that you lost 20 merits you can farm in 10 minutes.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-11-11 11:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't they give a warning before hand like they usually do? Or did they just say *** you guys, maintenance incoming gtfo.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-11 11:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Khyal said: »
Sorry to hear about your loss, but I find it laughable that you expect perfection.
No matter how much testing you do, things pop up when released that you cannot predict. Or sometimes, the only way to find the problem is to release it.
Could you please take over the reigns if you can do it better? thanx

Frankly I think what they do is amazing

[+]
 Phoenix.Michiiru
Server: Phoenix
user: Michiiru
By Phoenix.Michiiru 2014-11-11 11:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If this is like that one maintenance that took literally 20 hours and did not have any prior warning, I don't see how SE thinks it's ok that people might have been impacted negatively, because unless that little sign comes up and says "We cannot be held accountable for dynamis or anything of the sort" because then they -do- become accountable for the lacking of a prior warning.
By Artemicion 2014-11-11 12:04:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I can sympathize with anything that involves having to fix code for those unanticipated bugs that inevitably pop up. It kinda goes something like this:

[+]
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-11-11 12:04:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Calm down kids, servers are back up!
woo more SP keys!
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-11-11 12:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sapphire said: »
Calm down kids, servers are back up!
woo more SP keys!

yay

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Spirachub
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-11-11 12:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I'm assuming this is to fix the linkpearl and party glitch errors. Idk how they could let the game go live with those issues.

to be fair this game is 12 years old, it's probably a massive spaghetti code full of quick fixes and hacks to meet deadlines, which no body has the time to properly address afterwards. wouldn't be surprised that it's full of memory corruptions and changing one thing would weirdly affect another and loses the balance of it all!
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-11 12:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Spirachub said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

to be fair this game is 12 years old, it's probably a massive spaghetti code full of quick fixes and hacks to meet deadlines, which no body has the time to properly address afterwards. wouldn't be surprised that it's full of memory corruptions and changing one thing would weirdly affect another and loses the balance of it all!

BALANCE?

[+]
 Lakshmi.Khyal
user: kelman66
By Lakshmi.Khyal 2014-11-11 12:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Michiiru said: »
If this is like that one maintenance that took literally 20 hours and did not have any prior warning, I don't see how SE thinks it's ok that people might have been impacted negatively, because unless that little sign comes up and says "We cannot be held accountable for dynamis or anything of the sort" because then they -do- become accountable for the lacking of a prior warning.

I can strongly reassure you that they DONT think its ok. You can be sure they are not happy....

I can also assure you that you agreed to this in the terms of service every time you log in.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-11-11 19:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe if they would hire enough people and good enough people they could fix some of their code instead of failing because they'd rather use FFXI as a cash cow instead of actually putting a decent amount back in to the game.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-11 19:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »

Maybe if they would hire enough people and good enough people they could fix some of their code instead of failing because they'd rather use FFXI as a cash cow instead of actually putting a decent amount back in to the game.

This is a good point, actually. I know the game is old and built around the original console coding, but if you look at the actual "fixes" even in things they build from scratch, it reeks of laziness and assumption. It is a tall order to work around the mountain of bandaids and patches they've put in place over the years, to be sure, but they seem content to pretend that they are limited by it and not by their own ambition and pride.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Heimdel 2014-11-11 20:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »

This is a good point, actually. I know the game is old and built around the original console coding, but if you look at the actual "fixes" even in things they build from scratch, it reeks of laziness and assumption. It is a tall order to work around the mountain of bandaids and patches they've put in place over the years, to be sure, but they seem content to pretend that they are limited by it and not by their own ambition and pride.
I think it has been well established the game is a patch work of coding even from when it first came out. For instance when the game was just coming out maybe not even full release the AH listed 8 items but it kept crashing. Instead of fixing it properly they just cut it back to 7 items. I think it was Scragg or one the other Main mods on here even said years ago it was a patch work coding for the AH with a really poor choice of the programing language they used.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-11-11 21:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

We have all heard that reasoning before, but I remember the rumor was due to server population, anything over 7 items on AH was not possible. Now that servers are incredibly underpopulated, what are the excuses now?

None. SE is just very lazy when it comes to finishing the product. Its almost to the point that after a maintenance, players have 2 choices: wait to find out what is broken before getting your heart broken, or rush to find out what is broken and exploit it.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-11-11 21:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

A while back I edited a FFV GBA rom in a hex editor and noticed that there were a lot of parts within the code that were referencing previous sections in an attempt to save the tiniest amounts of space (which was unnecessary since it wasn't even close to the max allowable size). To put this into perspective, it'd be like writing the Preamble to the Constitution and using shortcuts to repeat a few words or phrases because you didn't want to write them again. Dunno if practices like that were commonplace in SE games, but it certainly stood out as sloppy to me.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-11-11 21:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI utilizes Shift-JIS IIRC.
 Leviathan.Webjester
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2014-11-11 23:00:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
A while back I edited a FFV GBA rom in a hex editor and noticed that there were a lot of parts within the code that were referencing previous sections in an attempt to save the tiniest amounts of space (which was unnecessary since it wasn't even close to the max allowable size). To put this into perspective, it'd be like writing the Preamble to the Constitution and using shortcuts to repeat a few words or phrases because you didn't want to write them again. Dunno if practices like that were commonplace in SE games, but it certainly stood out as sloppy to me.

This was common practice in cartridge coding, and not limited to Squenix. Also, keep in mind the GBA version is a port of the Super Famicom release, so some of those memory optimizations that were present in the Super Famicom version were likely moved over adhoc. On the surface it may appear to be sloppy/lazy, but its actually a very useful way to cram data into a finite amount of Cartridge ROM.
 Phoenix.Michiiru
Server: Phoenix
user: Michiiru
By Phoenix.Michiiru 2014-11-12 00:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I can strongly reassure you that they DONT think its ok. You can be sure they are not happy....

I can also assure you that you agreed to this in the terms of service every time you log in.

I stopped logging in, so I don't agree to jack ***anymore >:3
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-11-12 01:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I stopped logging in, so I don't agree to jack ***anymore >:3

You know you miss it