Men Notice Women, Somehow This Is News.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Men notice women, somehow this is news.
Men notice women, somehow this is news.
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 8 9 10
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-10-30 22:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick skim, lots of whining from 'good guys' not getting a gold sticker for not being a creep.

You shouldn't get special acknowledgment for being a decent person, that should be the default. The fact you feel being a 'good man' is a reason to be proud is very telling, don't you think?
[+]
 Fenrir.Nauta
Server: Fenrir
user: Anjou
By Fenrir.Nauta 2014-10-30 22:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, cool. I'm all for equal rights and feminism. But thats what it should be, equal rights. I completely understand that all these men were completely in the wrong. But they don't speak for all men. Something SHOULD be done so that things like this don't happen. But that something should not be man-hating(as Emma Watson put it).
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-10-30 23:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ignoring the *** doesn't fix anything. It's what everyone been trying since forever and it didn't magically fix itself.

Man hating is currently the only thing they can do since nothing else seems to be working. It's hard to make shitty old men change things when they benefit from the way things currently are.

And it doesn't have to be all men. The problem is it's enough men that there are loads of women deathly afraid to go places alone, even in broad daylight.

Again, you don't get a *** gold sticker for being a decent human. The fact you feel you need to be singled out for being good is very telling.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-30 23:05:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I would like to see an uncut version showing how many men didn't even acknowledge her. I think cat-calling is despicable, but a lot of those men were not even close to harassment, even though a lot were.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-10-30 23:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

not hot enough to even grab my attention tbh

my standards are high like that I guess
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-10-30 23:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, funny you mentioned Emma Watson considering she got rape and death threats after her speech.

As did Felicia Day (along with her home address being posted all over the internet) after she blogged a bit on being afraid to mention being a female gamer/talking to male gamers due to that Gamergate ***.
 Fenrir.Nauta
By Fenrir.Nauta 2014-10-30 23:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
Ignoring the *** doesn't fix anything. It's what everyone been trying since forever and it didn't magically fix itself.

Man hating is currently the only thing they can do since nothing else seems to be working. It's hard to make shitty old men change things when they benefit from the way things currently are.

And it doesn't have to be all men. The problem is it's enough men that there are loads of women deathly afraid to go places alone, even in broad daylight.

Again, you don't get a *** gold sticker for being a decent human. The fact you feel you need to be singled out for being good is very telling.

Oh my. So men can't agree with you because we are all evil? How the hell do you plan to fix the problem if all you perpetuate is hatred. Good luck with that. You're the trigger happy, man hating, feminist who is actually hurting the cause. Single myself out? Ok because I'm a man I'm supposed to think like all these other men? Yeah? Okay. Fine you're telling me it's my job to do these things towards women? Your logic is completely flawed, and it seems like you are trying to single yourself out with the manhating comments.

YES I mentioned emma watson because she fears the feminist movement is turning completely into man hating. Link here: http://www.eonline.com/news/593053/emma-watson-covers-elle-u-k-talks-about-feminism-and-fear-about-that-u-n-speech
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-10-30 23:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Did I say all men are evil? Again, I shouldn't have to mention good men specifically.

I'm hurting the cause? What do you suggest then, just let things stay as they are? I'll repeat, ignoring the *** does not work. At all. It never has. It never will.

There are enough *** heads that it's a serious problem that needs addressing. But some men like yourself are more concerned with your own frail ego's that nothing is going to get done. Especially when all of our law makers are old men who benefit from the way things currently are.
 Fenrir.Nauta
By Fenrir.Nauta 2014-10-30 23:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Seinfeld-Leaving.gif

have fun trolls.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-10-30 23:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm well aware of what Emma said.

And she STILL got rape/death threats from men. She DEFENDED them, while also encouraging female empowerment and she still got threats!
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-10-30 23:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I watched this on the news on tv here, but from what I saw nothing outrageous happened...sure not all comments are pleasant, but just someone wanting to know you does not mean being "molested". Reporter was saying how awful all men are towards this girl walking by...meh.
I know it's annoying, happens to me all the time, but I don't feel harassed if someone just wants to say hi or tells me I'm pretty, whether I'm in the mood or not. Sure, there are plenty of rude people but they exist worldwide as far as I know.

Anyway, watch this thread turn to ***in a handful of posts.

Got me curious now. Pic asap.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-10-30 23:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Pic asap.
Pics? From Seha?

[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2014-10-30 23:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
I'm well aware of what Emma said.

And she STILL got rape/death threats from men. She DEFENDED them, while also encouraging female empowerment and she still got threats!

While I understand she did get death threats, it really feels like you could be saying "and she DRINKS water! and BREATHES air!"

Yes, getting death threats is f**ked up and no person should have to suffer it, but she could openly say she loves everyone and everything or be the most neutral and likeable person in the world and still get death threats from mentally ill wack jobs.

Mental illness knows no gender lines, and sending death threats I'd file under "needs to be locked in an insane asylum", not "Is misogynistic". Though I don't claim that was your intent.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-10-30 23:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Pic asap.
Pics? From Seha?

shrug

A girl getting hit on alot from walking down a street isn't something I see where I live, unless it's some designated area like a night club or some s***.

So a comment like "guys hit on me all the time" has me curious. Is she a goddess?

;S
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-10-30 23:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Iunno. Frankly, I've never really bothered to think on it. Seha's a person; I doubt she's a deity. She also occasionally has thoughts and a personality and stuffs.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-31 00:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to be honest, this made me a little curious...

Please teach me what to like, master.
If my master is pleased, then so am I.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-31 01:13:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So a comment like "guys hit on me all the time" has me curious. Is she a goddess?

Dunno, but the point is just like the point of the video in the OP, women put up with a lot shitty pick up attempts from men on a constant basis. Especially those that live in major metropolitan areas. It's not like the stereotype of city construction workers cat calling every woman that walks by the site manifested itself for no reason.

It doesn't take much for the average warm blooded man to want to holler. It's just like I said earlier, if the woman really has it going on physically, a T-Shirt and Jeans is more than enough to get the chicken hawks hawking.
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-10-31 01:37:03
Link | Quote | Reply

At least they are not throwing rocks at her like young boys do to girls to pick on them cause they don't want cooties lol. Those guys grew up a bit they leveled there game up from throwing rocks to saying hello and accepting cooties.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-10-31 02:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
That's the difference between men and women, though. According to dictation brought upon by our society, it is up to the man to do the initial introduction. I haven't had a single woman come up to me and ask me out. That would be weird, right? Meanwhile, because I'm shy and afraid that I might "harass" someone just by saying hello, I could be missing out on hundreds of opportunities. ***is tough, and if anything, I kinda envy some of these guys for having the cajones to ask her out.

Now, this is coming from not watching the video at the moment, so I'm not sure how crass some of the comments are. Some of them I'm sure are unacceptable and shouldn't have started to begin with. I'm just saying that it is hard enough trying to find someone without being considered harassment put on top of it. Makes me want to put my head down even further and say single life isn't all that bad; why not keep it going for the rest of my life?

Biology not society. It's the males biological role to demonstrate his fitness to pass on his genetics and the females biological role to judge him and determine whether he is worthy or not. This is all ancient instincts from long before we developed language. Every animal species in this planet has a sexual selection system, this is ours.

Yeah she is just attention whoring. If the guy was handsome, 6'2" and dressed in suit then she wouldn't consider it harassment. It's about her receiving attention from males she has subconsciously judged unworthy of having sex.
 Odin.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-10-31 03:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

She's not attention whoring. She's dressed in normal everyday clothes, walking down the streets and doing nothing to draw attention to herself. She doesn't seek eye contact, she doesn't smile or anything else that could remotely be seen as an invitation to make contact. And for the love of God don't start with the "she shouldn't have worn such tight clothes" or something similar to that. There is something fundamentally wrong if and when men's actions are allowed to dictate what a woman should and shouldn't wear.

Yes, the majority of the men's comments seemed harmless enough. But like others here have pointed out, these men wouldn't be saying these things to just about any stranger passing them. To me, there's a huge difference between - say, making eye contact with a woman in a store and then if she doesn't immediately dismiss you (it's very obvious when she does dismiss you if you're capable of recognizing body language), nod and smile and say "hi", compared to what's happening in this video. Again, she is not doing anything whatsoever to invite any kind of contact.

A wolf whistle and a "hi gorgeous" now and again from a bloke you're passing on the street, might be flattering and fun. But when it happens 10 times or even more, in one hour, quite possibly every time you go outside, that's when it stops being flattering and fun and becomes annoying and - worst case scenario - even frightening.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-10-31 03:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If I was a woman, I'd seriously hate this kind of attention. Thankfully, I'm not, and Disney taught girls not to do that to men.

I really wonder where these guys learned that it was ok to do that, though.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-10-31 05:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Thankfully, I'm not, and Disney taught girls not to do that to men.

Disney didn't teach sh!t about this, women instinctively wouldn't do that, it's too dangerous and they are biologically risk adverse.

The only reason she feels bad about the sexual attention is that it's from low quality males. That extremely negative emotional reaction women get when an unworthy male demonstrates sexual attention is natures biological signal to prevent her from mating with him. Men aren't equipped with that system, we have a far different reproductive biology which has its own issues to deal with.

Anyhow what your seeing on that video are guys spotting a fertile (wide hips + breasts + healthy body) female and following their evolutionary instincts and trying to demonstrate worth by being aggressive and approaching her. The males in the video have limited skills and it shows by her extreme creep reaction. Of course the editors of the video deliberately cut out any positive reactions she had and chose to only display the negative ones, so its kinda of like Fox and NBC. What you see here is the kinds of negative attention a female will get, they deliberately leave out the positive kinds like when a tall handsome man in expensive clothes walks over to her. We can actually get into a much deeper conversation about female privilege because that's exactly what your seeing here. An average male walking down the street would be an invisible non-person with insufficient value for anyone else to bother taking notice. So while all that male attention is from low value males, it's still attention that validates her worth and indicates she has sufficient value for people to take notice.

Of course that's probably much more then most of the people here can fathom. I strongly recommend people read Norah Vincint's Self Made Man to get a better understanding of the differences in perception of value from a male and a female.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-31 05:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The video doesn't show men just saying "hello".

"Damn, I just saw a thousand bucks walk by".

"Hey beautiful, wanna talk? Guess not."

"You should smile more."

"You should say thank you when someone pays you a complement"

"Damn Mami"

None of those comments are even remotely just saying hi. They are not the polite greetings between neighbors or just a smile and a nod.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-31 05:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Tamoa said: »
She's not attention whoring.
Not in the video, but posting the video and making a big deal about a lot of "harassment" where they were clearly not (some were, but certainly not most of them).

That's why she is an attention ***.

Bahamut.Kara said: »
The video doesn't show men just saying "hello".

"Damn, I just saw a thousand bucks walk by".

"Hey beautiful, wanna talk? Guess not."

"You should smile more."

"You should say thank you when someone pays you a complement"

"Damn Mami"

None of those comments are even remotely just saying hi. They are not the polite greetings between neighbors or just a smile and a nod.
During the video, I counted 6 times that people said some form of "Have a nice day" or "Good morning/evening." Did not count those that included "baby" or "darling" which still isn't remotely harassing.

And you know that this woman posted the "worst" harassment she caught on tape to prove her point. If 6 of these harassment examples are just friendly greetings, what's to say that a percentage (just to be nice, because, as I pointed out, she more than likely captured the worst of it during the video, so we really saw all of the street harassment she received in that 10 hours) of all the harassment isn't harassment at all?

I don't care about her movement, if she wants to continue to do so, then good for her. She has to realize that the majority of women do not agree with her (due to the fact of how they dress and how they act towards men in general) and she will basically get nothing through her movement.

But she can try.
[+]
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-10-31 05:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
It's just like I said earlier, if the woman really has it going on physically, a T-Shirt and Jeans is more than enough to get the chicken hawks hawking.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Odin.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-10-31 06:06:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The bottom line is, this video shows just one of all the situations where women have to put up with unwanted and uninvited sexual attention. Why do so many men think this kind of behaviour is perfectly ok? Because it's in your genes, it's biology, you can't help it? Yes, you can help it, you do control your own actions and words - in fact a lot of you posting here are perfectly decent guys who would never act like this towards a woman, and yet you defend the behaviour you watched in this video.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-31 06:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The bottom line is, this video shows just one of all the situations where women have to put up with unwanted and uninvited sexual attention. Why do so many men think this kind of behaviour is perfectly ok? Because it's in your genes, it's biology, you can't help it?
I'm sure this has been said multiple times by multiple guys, but we don't all act like that.

I'm sure that the majority of men who passed her by did not even bat an eyelash towards her.

But lets ask a similar question: Why do so many women try to get that type of attention? Because it's in your genes, it's biology, you can't help it?

in fact a lot of you posting here are perfectly decent guys who would never act like this towards a woman, and yet you defend the behaviour you watched in this video.

I certainly hope that you did not include me in this assumption.

I didn't see many guys here who defends this type of behavior, just a few *** who are egotistical masochists anyway.
By Blazed1979 2014-10-31 06:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The bottom line is, this video shows just one of all the situations where women have to put up with unwanted and uninvited sexual attention. Why do so many men think this kind of behaviour is perfectly ok? Because it's in your genes, it's biology, you can't help it? Yes, you can help it, you do control your own actions and words - in fact a lot of you posting here are perfectly decent guys who would never act like this towards a woman, and yet you defend the behaviour you watched in this video.
You're 100% right about how SOME guys act.

Its not the majority of guys though. Its a minority in this case. If most guys were like this, there would be hundreds of thousands of cat calls in this video after 10 hours of walking in NYC, not hundreds.

But women seem to have their heads up their *** about it.
An "attractive" woman is going to "attract" attention. Its not an invitation to harass, but it is a signal. How the receiver interprets that signal is based upon the receiver's personal values, principles, beliefs and culture. Short of a universal code between both sexes there are always going to be desired and undesired results.

A woman dresses up to go out clubbing in hopes of being found attractive by the "right" guy. Consequence - the wrong guys also find her attractive.

Deal with it missy. Guys go out looking to find the "right" girl and understand the risks; Rejection. You don't see us complaining about it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-10-31 06:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

This is why I shoot people down mercilessly (men and women) I'm not even that attractive I don't think but not that I'll have to worry here in cali the act of courting will soon be entirely illegal
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 8 9 10