Forum » FFXI » General » Multi-attack, multi-hit WS, and 8-hit cap
Multi-attack, multi-hit WS, and 8-hit cap
 Carbuncle.Skudo
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: SKudo
By Carbuncle.Skudo 2014-10-16 19:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a total retard, main-handing Izhiikoh and off-handing Curtana. I use Evisceration. Triple Attack procs on both hands. Which of the following do I get?

a) 5 Izhiikoh hits, 3 Curtana hits
b) 7 Izhiikoh hits, 1 Curtana hit
c) Something completely different, because that's what I get for off-handing Curtana

"Get a Tsuru/Koga and you won't have that problem" is not a valid solution for my problem. ;-(
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-10-16 19:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on which hit/hand it procs on.

If it procs on your offhand hit, it'll give you situation a) if it procs on the mainhand/subsequent hits you'll get b

Oops sorry didn't see the procs on both.

Since 8 is the max and evis is already a 5(6because of dual wield) hit ws, whichever procced first would get the extra hits.

So if it procced on the first hit(mainhand) it'd be b) with no ability for it to proc on the offhand because even if those hits miss you have 8 attacks already. If it fails the first hand proc but procs on your offhand you get a) again, no possibility of more procs even if one misses.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skudo
By Carbuncle.Skudo 2014-10-16 20:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

That was fast. Thanks a lot for the quick response.

Shiva.Spathaian said: »
So if it procced on the first hit(mainhand) it'd be b) with no ability for it to proc on the offhand because even if those hits miss you have 8 attacks already. If it fails the first hand proc but procs on your offhand you get a) again, no possibility of more procs even if one misses.

Hrm, so QA/TA/DA can proc on any "original" hit, not just the first main-hand and the first off-hand hit?

If so, would the same be true for Mythic AM3 main-hand hits, acting as a TA+20%, DA+40% that can trigger once? (I'm assuming it cannot proc on the off-hand hit, because OAx is bound to the weapon. Unless AM3 does not exactly imply "bound to the weapon".)
 Lakshmi.Amymy
Server: Lakshmi
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-10-16 20:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

What's s curtana ? Anything special?
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-16 20:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Skudo said: »
That was fast. Thanks a lot for the quick response.

Shiva.Spathaian said: »

Hrm, so QA/TA/DA can proc on any "original" hit, not just the first main-hand and the first off-hand hit?

If so, would the same be true for Mythic AM3 main-hand hits, acting as a TA+20%, DA+40% that can trigger once? (I'm assuming it cannot proc on the off-hand hit, because OAx is bound to the weapon. Unless AM3 does not exactly imply "bound to the weapon".)

In a Weaponskill, yes
 Carbuncle.Skudo
By Carbuncle.Skudo 2014-10-16 20:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

It could have been any other dagger. I just went for the first low-damage dagger that came to my mind. In case I have to test it myself the hard way.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-10-16 20:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Skudo said: »
It could have been any other dagger. I just went for the first low-damage dagger that came to my mind. In case I have to test it myself the hard way.
Curtana is a sword though ^^; But your answer would not have changed in any case.
 Phoenix.Craptaculous
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Craptaculous 2014-10-17 12:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I'm no FFXI-mechanics pro, but as far as I knew, DA/TA/QA can only procc on first hit of a Multi-Hit WS.

And only one of those can procc at a time on that first hit (so lets say QA proccs, you will not DA or TA on that first hit).

Also, if I recall correctly, OCC. ATK 2+ times normally can NOT procc on WS's with the exception of Mythic Aftermath Lv. 3

Also, with WS's, I would believe that their dmg relies on your main hand WPN, especially Evisceration, look at the animation, you're poking it 5 times with your main hand.

anyway of to lunch , I'll go in more detail if necessary when I get back.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-17 12:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Craptaculous said: »
Well, I'm no FFXI-mechanics pro, but as far as I knew, DA/TA/QA can only procc on first hit of a Multi-Hit WS.

And only one of those can procc at a time on that first hit (so lets say QA proccs, you will not DA or TA on that first hit).

Also, if I recall correctly, OCC. ATK 2+ times normally can NOT procc on WS's with the exception of Mythic Aftermath Lv. 3

Also, with WS's, I would believe that their dmg relies on your main hand WPN, especially Evisceration, look at the animation, you're poking it 5 times with your main hand.

anyway of to lunch , I'll go in more detail if necessary when I get back.

Mostly right.

Multihit can proc on ANY ATTACK within a WS ie a 3 hit ws Multhit Procs on first, 2nd and 3rd hit.
Dual Wielding adds an extra Attack to the ws, where Multihit can also proc.

Source with testing.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/56273-DA-in-WS-amp-Gorget-Acc-Tests?p=1958293&viewfull=1#post1958293
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-10-17 12:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

No, there are 1-2 chances for Multi-hit to proc each WS. If it's a 1-hit WS, there's only one chance. If it's a 2-hit WS (or you have an offhand), there are two chances.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-17 12:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
No, there are 1-2 chances for Multi-hit to proc each WS. If it's a 1-hit WS, there's only one chance. If it's a 2-hit WS (or you have an offhand), there are two chances.

And it won't go over 2 chances on say a 3 hit ws?

Do you have a link to this so I can read through it, there's alot of contradicting information surrounding it (ie my link shows it working after a 2nd chance)
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-10-17 12:56:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the fact that you can't get more than 2 multi-attack procs on a WS is widely known and accepted by everyone that has spent time looking at TP returns. The question being addressed in the link you provided was, if I remember correctly, whether there was a chance to proc for each swing of the WS and the number of procs per WS was just capped at 2.

So you have two models:
1) You can proc on the first two swings of the WS.
(0: 0.01%, 1: 0.45%, 2: 8.71%, 3: 58.15%, 4: 28.94%, 5: 3.75%)

2) You can proc on any of the swings of the WS, but at most two times.
(0: 0.01%, 1: 0.36%, 2: 6.98%, 3: 47.84%, 4: 35.23%, 5: 9.59%)

The above numbers above are the probability of landing X hits scaled for 22% DA and 95% hit rate on Raging Rush, which I assume is what MaxTM was testing with. The distribution he comes up with is:
(<3: 9.6%, 3: 64%, 4: 24%, 5: 2.4%)

I'm not a mathologist, but that seems to fit Model #1 much better than Model #2. Model #1 is, subsequently, what Motenten has implemented in his spreadsheets and is generally how WSs are thought to work. Model #2 was just an alternative hypothesis that I threw out there years ago and was disproven.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-10-17 13:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to throw another question in there, is it possible to reach 8 hits on the main-hand (assuming the WS has enough hits and multi-attacks), or will it "save" a hit for the off-hand?
By volkom 2014-10-17 13:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-17 13:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Just to throw another question in there, is it possible to reach 8 hits on the main-hand (assuming the WS has enough hits and multi-attacks), or will it "save" a hit for the off-hand?

Multi-attacks shouldn't be able to trump the native WS hits, but it wouldn't really matter, since you can't have 7 additional attacks on the main hand alone, and all hits that aren't the initial offhand or multi-attacks from that hit are mainhand hits, anyway.