users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Phalanx 1 vs Phalanx 2 potency
Phalanx 1 vs Phalanx 2 potency
 Bahamut.Odaru
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Odaru 2014-10-14 03:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Which is stronger? I can't seem to get straight answers/the phalanx calculator is broken. Someone said that the formula changed at some point, but I can't find anything supporting the claim. Can anyone shed some light?
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-10-14 03:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Go to one of these two sites

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Main_Page

Type in 'phalanx' in the search bar and press enter.
[+]
 Bahamut.Odaru
By Bahamut.Odaru 2014-10-14 04:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You must be a pretty miserable person. :(
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2014-10-14 04:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The answer wasn't even harsh, they were telling you where to go to find out for yourself. Millions of other player that played this game went to those sites to find the answer for themselves, you asked for help and they showed you where you can find it.

Calling them miserable is just rude.

[+]
 Bahamut.Souf
user: Souf
By Bahamut.Souf 2014-10-14 04:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

No, the comment was disdainful. He said he searched if the formula changed but found nothing.
Maybe he didn't go to to a forum where people discuss about the game asking for help, maybe he just wanted his intelligence to be insulted.
[+]
 Bahamut.Odaru
By Bahamut.Odaru 2014-10-14 04:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Their response was uninformative and passive aggressive. Thank you for the graph.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-10-14 05:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

They both cap at the same exact value (35 @ 500 skill). Phalanx II is only ever useful because it doesn't require /SCH to put it on other people, but its worthiness of merit slots is arguable. Not sure what the graph is trying to say, but whatever it is it's wrong.

I assume it's meant to go on and show Phalanx II eventually reaching the same value as Phalanx, but that's inaccurate; Phalanx II reaches cap at the same time that Phalanx does (the formula is exactly the same for Phalanx and Phalanx II @ 5/5 merits, which this graph doesn't reflect; 13 + 15 = 28), and the graph is potentially misleading if someone doesn't know how to read it. Whatever the source for it is, it should probably be edited or removed.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-10-14 05:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks to me like the graph just hasn't been updated since level 75.

Anyway, depending on how much Phalanx+ gear they've acquired, Paladins can generate a more potent Phalanx effect than RDMs despite having less enhancing skill. If you are meriting Phalanx II for the sake of keeping Paladins alive, it might be a waste of time.

I personally am 5/5 Phalanx II, 3/5 Dia III, 1/5 Slow II, and 1/5 Paralyze II. Slow and Para rarely change the tide in battle, and idm recasting Dia III every 1:45. I wouldn't really feel bad about dropping Paralyze II and merit up Dia III to level 4, but I also wouldn't really feel bad about demeriting the entire group because I almost never use RDM.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-10-14 06:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, looks like it's from the BG Phalanx status effect page, which hasn't been updated since 2008. In any case, that's how it works. They're both the same potency at 5/5 except one can target party members and the other can't.

5/5 Phalanx II 3/5 Dia III 1/5 Para II 1/5 Slow II is probably "ideal" if you can't always sub SCH, but the situations where you'd use a RDM would have a PLD anyway most likely, which as Byrth mentioned gets a stronger Phalanx than RDM. I'm also not entirely sure how Para/Slow II work and whether they provide any realistic benefit over Para/Slow 1 at 1/5 merits.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-10-14 06:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

BG Wiki said:
Slow ranges approximately between ~14.7% (0 dMND) to ~29.3% at 75 dMND.
Slow II with 1 merit ranges approximately between ~23.4% (0 dMND) to ~35.1% at 75 dMND.
Slow II with 2 merits ranges approximately between ~24.4% (0 dMND) to ~36.1% at 75 dMND.
Slow II with 3 merits ranges approximately between ~25.4% (0 dMND) to ~37.1% at 75 dMND.
Slow II with 4 merits ranges approximately between ~26.35% (0 dMND) to ~38.09% at 75 dMND.
Slow II with 5 merits ranges approximately between ~27.35% (0 dMND) to ~39.06% at 75 dMND.

So yeah, there's a substantial benefit to Slow II 1/5 and every merit level after that is potency +1%. I'm not sure if there's any benefit to Paralyze II 1/5, but I assume there is.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-10-14 06:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

wow yeah, that's pretty huge.
By FaeQueenCory 2014-10-14 06:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Phalanx+# gear needs to be worn at time of application to take effect right?
Only really relevant to RUN since weapon swapping doesn't really happen on PLD and idr if there's other phalanx+# gear...
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2014-10-14 06:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried to make a new graph, but yeah...

Those numbers on the bottom didn't wanna work out for me, still, it's better than nothin I suppose.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2014-10-14 08:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
Only really relevant to RUN since weapon swapping doesn't really happen on PLD and idr if there's other phalanx+# gear...
The new weard mantle Augments include phalanx+. reportedly up to +5.
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2014-10-14 08:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »

not just reportedly. i've seen one with phalanx +5 and was the one who updated the wiki.
 Ragnarok.Saintsfan
user: Saintsfan
By Ragnarok.Saintsfan 2014-10-14 09:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I've actually been using rdm a lot for incursion. Been clearing Gramk and 3-4 other NM's per run. Slow and Para help quite a bit along with distract, frazzle, gravity, sleeps, stuns etc..Works well for that event at least. (up to lvl 128, haven't gone higher) and I've gotten +4 phalanx on Weard Mantle.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-14 09:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Just because a site "has" information doesn't mean its accurate or correct.

Hell I know someone who argued a point on here and made a fake wiki page to back up his argument.
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Waff
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-10-14 09:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

What does the phalanx + on the pld capes mean exactly?
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-10-14 10:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phalanx II is pretty much worthless to RDM now. You need to dump 50% of your tier II merits into it for it to be as strong as your low level single target version. Slow II, Paralyze II and even Dia III are much better choices. RDM has two subs now, BLM if your stunning and SCH for everything else (outside extremely niche solo melee stuff).
[+]
 Asura.Highwynn
Server: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-10-14 11:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to mention /sch gives accession. For anal plds, they can precast with the Priwen before a fight for the initial stronger phalanx but meh. Also no reason to have anything more than 1-2 merit in dia 3, can always recast it and 36-72 is plenty of time.

I miss when Phalanx was RDM only, now everyone pretty much can cast it. Soon PLD and RUN will get Temper also.
 Shiva.Ariaum
Server: Shiva
user: Ariaum
By Shiva.Ariaum 2014-10-14 11:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Waffless said: »

They add that much more to the phalanx effect if your base is -25 dmg taken and you add "Phalanx +5" to it, it's now -30 dmg taken.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Waff
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-10-14 11:54:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ariaum said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Waffless said: »

They add that much more to the phalanx effect if your base is -25 dmg taken and you add "Phalanx +5" to it, it's now -30 dmg taken.

Ok that makes sense, thanks.
By Creecreelo 2014-10-14 12:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Phalanx II is pretty much worthless to RDM now. You need to dump 50% of your tier II merits into it for it to be as strong as your low level single target version. Slow II, Paralyze II and even Dia III are much better choices. RDM has two subs now, BLM if your stunning and SCH for everything else (outside extremely niche solo melee stuff).

If only they uncapped Group 2 Job Category merits! I still wish they would do this... Maybe Blind II would actually see the light of day.

Not to mention it'd help out so many other jobs as well.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2014-10-14 12:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Protey said: »
Ragnarok.Martel said: »

not just reportedly. i've seen one with phalanx +5 and was the one who updated the wiki.
When I'm referencing information read on a forum with nothing backing it up, and I haven't seen such a cape, or so much as a SS, my self; then I will state said information as "reportedly so" when I repeat it to others.

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Just because a site "has" information doesn't mean its accurate or correct.

Hell I know someone who argued a point on here and made a fake wiki page to back up his argument.
Things like that are why wiki pages need references to the source of the information. And that kind of misinformation mongering really pisses me off.

Asura.Highwynn said: »
I miss when Phalanx was RDM only, now everyone pretty much can cast it. Soon PLD and RUN will get Temper also.
You don't remember PLD/RDM? It's not like Phalanx was ever RDM main exclusive. All they did was free up PLD's subjob reliance on /rdm for physical tanking.

Temper however is another matter entirely. A level 95 spell was clearly never intended to be accessed by other jobs via sub job. And there's zero reason to think PLD or RUN will ever get said spell. But by all means, let em have it. I won't mind.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2014-10-14 13:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

For anal plds, they can precast with the Priwen before a fight for the initial stronger phalanx but meh.
I am assuming by this that phalanx+ gear needs to be worn at time of cast and has no effect just from being worn.
By Crevox 2014-10-14 13:09:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Things like that are why wiki pages need references to the source of the information. And that kind of misinformation mongering really pisses me off.

Have you seen my Linos +4 all songs? Sorry I don't have a screenshot of it, but believe me dood, I got it
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-14 13:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

For anal plds, they can precast with the Priwen before a fight for the initial stronger phalanx but meh.
I am assuming by this that phalanx+ gear needs to be worn at time of cast and has no effect just from being worn.

Correct
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-10-17 10:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Temper however is another matter entirely. A level 95 spell was clearly never intended to be accessed by other jobs via sub job. And there's zero reason to think PLD or RUN will ever get said spell. But by all means, let em have it. I won't mind.

I fully expect RUN to eventually get Temper and the Gain-X spells. SE seems to be making RUN the reincarnation of melee RDM circa 2006~2008 but with the right tools. It already has all the single target barspells, spike spells, refresh, phalanx, stoneskin, blink, aquaveil, and regens. As such I'm expecting Haste, Temper and Gain-stat spells to be added along with some method of extending duration of self cast buffs.