Forum » FFXI » General » Sound effects cutting out over time. XBox360 user
Sound effects cutting out over time. XBox360 user
 Shiva.Gus
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Tigerzone
By Shiva.Gus 2014-09-28 16:46:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I play on Xbox360 and a few days ago, my sound while playing FFXI will slowly cut out. It is gradual but after a couple of hours of playing, the sound effects begin to slowly cut out and then the game is basically muted. I will then log my character out and there are no sound effects on the character selection screen. Upon trying to return to playonline, the game crashes and I am forced to power off the Xbox and turn back on. Upon logging back in, the sound effects work fine and the same process will happen again in time.

I did the "check files" and all files were fine. I also cleared the Xbox cache and that did not work. Is this just a temporary bug with the game or is it finally time for me to abandon the Xbox and use PC only? Any of the other 3 or 4 Xbox users who are left having this issue?
 Odin.Rendra
Server: Odin
user: Rendra
By Odin.Rendra 2014-09-28 17:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

This has been an issue with FFXI for a long time... on PC as well... You can go to the FFXI config and up the amount of sound effects that can play Simultaneously. It may help the issue you're having.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-09-28 17:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Change "PC Armor Display" to "STATIC" on the options. Everyone else will look like they're geared and ready to go level in Valkurm Dunes at lv 15 but that does alleviate memory consumption greatly.

What is happening on your game is that it's slowly running out of ram for textures as the caching grows over time. When it overlaps with the audio buffer the game just stop playing audio completely. The problem advance is gradual.

Try it out and tell us what happen.
 Shiva.Gus
Server: Shiva
user: Tigerzone
By Shiva.Gus 2014-09-28 17:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you. I just went ahead and set the Static setting. Looking at what you said, I wonder if me AFKing near the guidestone in Port Jeuno all night and day while I am at work causes some of this ram/cache issue. Perhaps I should just make it a practice again to log out when sleeping or at work instead of leaving the game on 24/7. We will see what happens. Just odd because I have played regularly on Xbox for years and never had this issue until a few days ago.

Also I just realized I should have posted this in the Tech support forum. My first post and I screwed up already. I have been a long long time viewer on this site, but first time posting clearly! My apologies.