users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Thwarted Terror Attack in Australia
Thwarted Terror Attack in Australia
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 9 10
By Blazed1979 2014-09-19 13:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Blazed1979 said: »
My Analogy is meant to highlight that explaining the situation does not require any emotional connection.

You want to simplify things in the middle east and blame it on Islam.

If I explain why Islam is not to blame you call that being a terrorist apologist.

I'll go on the record as saying there is no logic or sense to 99% of the things you say, you have no stable position, are inconsistent and a prove yourself to be a hypocrite at least 3-4 times a day.

Your analogy fails even at that.

I don't want to just blame it on islam, I blame it on radicals and those that support and excuse them, yet Islam is partially to blame as it's a tool in what they do, and it's a tool because of what it is. Unlike you I'm not ignorant of that reality.

There's logic and sense in everything I say, and I'm 100% stable unless I change my mind (which doesn't usually happen), and I'm anything but a hypocrite. I can certainly see how several of you would think that, but you would all be wrong.

But again with the ridiculous personal attacks, and excusing terrorists.

Islam is no more to blame for terrorists being terrorists than Einstein is for Nagasaki and Hiroshima.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-19 13:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

If Islam is no more to blame for terrorists being terrorists than Einstein is for Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

Um... he is largely responsible for the nuclear bomb... Yet you confuse ending a war with terrorist actions, but of course you do.
 Siren.Balias
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Balias
By Siren.Balias 2014-09-19 13:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
What this problem needs is more sunshine and rainbows!

Heroin?
Need some Super Heroin.
Nope.avi!
What this, and all problems, can be solved with is alcohol!!

Now, now. Their text strictly prohibits intoxicants. And they're the truly devout. Clearly they would never partake.

Then spike their drinking water...
 Asura.Ackeronll
Server: Asura
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-09-19 13:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ackeronll said: »
Think Jetackuu needs to change his/her avatar. You can't use a robot who wants to kill all humans and be against the killing of humans.

He says he wants to, he doesn't actually want to. There's a difference :P

Episode "Decision 3012" shows that in the future Bender does in fact lead the robot uprising to kills all humans. Showing in how he tells them to scooch together to save bullets. He then promptly kills them.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-19 13:59:19
Link | Quote | Reply

If Islam is no more to blame for terrorists being terrorists than Einstein is for Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

Um... he is largely responsible for the nuclear bomb... Yet you confuse ending a war with terrorist actions, but of course you do.

I am amused. I don't how that went over your head.
I'm wasting my time on you.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-19 13:59:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Think Jetackuu needs to change his/her avatar. You can't use a robot who wants to kill all humans and be against the killing of humans.

He says he wants to, he doesn't actually want to. There's a difference :P

Episode "Decision 3012" shows that in the future Bender does in fact lead the robot uprising to kills all humans. Showing in how he tells them to scooch together to save bullets. He then promptly kills them.

I don't deal in hypotheticals.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-19 14:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you're partially right: you are wasting your time if you think you're going to convince me to support terrorists.

It didn't go over my head, but apparently you went over your own, and tried to reach for something and fell.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-19 14:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you're partially right: you are wasting your time if you think you're going to convince me to support terrorists.

It didn't go over my head, but apparently you went over your own, and tried to reach for something and fell.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-19 15:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Blazed1979 2014-09-19 15:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-19 21:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The list of reasons as to why you have me pegged wrong is so long, but you're a terrorist apologist, so I don't really care.
Stop trying to rewrite history so you can support the terrorists.

You realize that nothing said here (so far) is apologist?
Not a single person has said that ISIS is right for what they are doing.
We didn't come to the middle east first, that's an outright lie.
What exactly do you mean that the US didn't come to the middle east first? As in, first among other countries? First, as in we didn't do anything in the middle east until after Sept 11?
The first, you can have an argument for (although it doesn't help much, as other western countries have also treated the area poorly); for the latter, that just plain incorrect.
There's logic and sense in everything I say, and I'm 100% stable unless I change my mind (which doesn't usually happen)
You probably don't want to use absolute terms, because they are rarely true.
Your arguments to date in this conversation are neither logical, nor sensible. Frankly, they hearken more to the Fox News-esque style of "argument" than an actual, factual discussion.
But again with the ridiculous personal attacks, and excusing terrorists.
Again, not a single person has excused terrorists. Saying that they actually have some basis for greiviences does not excuse their actions. Refusing to acknowledge that does nothing more than perpetuate the problem.

Constantly repeating this will not make it any more true.

This mentality is frankly extremely similar to the entire "if you aren't for the war, you are against America" used in the last invasion of Iraq.

I don't want to just blame it on islam, I blame it on radicals and those that support and excuse them, yet Islam is partially to blame as it's a tool in what they do, and it's a tool because of what it is. Unlike you I'm not ignorant of that reality
If it wasn't Islam, there would be another justification or belief structure (not necessarily religious in nature) used. There is plenty of historical evidence to back that up.

There are estimated to be about 1.6 billion muslims in the world. The armed forces for ISIS, last I am aware of, is less than 100k.

I don't particularly care for religions. Personally, I believe that the current monothesitic structures are a plague upon mankind, and that we would be better off without them.

Yes, they took the existing religous power structure and corrupted it. That's not anything new. But blaming a religion for what is pretty much not a religious problem (recent wars, unrest, power vacuums, assassinations (sorry, targeted killings), lack of redress for greiviences, support/training of insurgents, and general ***) smacks of a dangerous lack of insight as to what the actual cause of the problem is.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-20 00:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The word is accurate and I know very well what it means. You both keep trying to excuse them and lay the blame elsewhere when they're terrorists, the blame lies with them>

I meant combat wise, and no we didn't cause conflict in the middle east until after we were assaulted (granted it's been decades, but still).

I'll say it again: There's logic and sense in everything I say, and I'm 100% stable unless I change my mind (which doesn't usually happen). Everything I stated here was perfectly backed by logic, and backed by facts. But considering you're both terrorist apologists, I don't expect you ever to come to that understanding.

You're the one who doesn't understand the word then, they have no basis, as that would mean they have excuses and you're excusing them, point blank you're trying to blame somebody else for their actions, in saying they're somehow right for what they do. It's quite disgusting, and there's no basis for what they do, despite what you think.

Right back at you with the saying you're not an apologist.

The "mentality" isn't similar at all, but again, you won't see that.

I don't disagree with saying the leaders wouldn't use something else, but that doesn't change the point. It's irrelevant as to the number or %.

We would be better off without them in this day and age.

They didn't corrupt it, it was already corrupt, and I'm not blaming a religion. What you believe the cause of the problem is and what the cause of the problem is are two very different things, especially if you keep thinking the US attacked them first.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-20 02:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

On today's episode of FFXIAH P&R, watch as Milamber and Jetackuu hold 9 different arguments at the same time! Will they ever come to a consensus, or will hijinks ensue?

Today's guest stars include Don Knotts and the Harlem Globetrotters!
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-20 03:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I meant combat wise, and no we didn't cause conflict in the middle east until after we were assaulted (granted it's been decades, but still).
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_interventions_of_the_United_States
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_foreign_policy_in_the_Middle_East
I'll say it again: There's logic and sense in everything I say, and I'm 100% stable unless I change my mind (which doesn't usually happen). Everything I stated here was perfectly backed by logic, and backed by facts.
No, you have not provided any yet facts, nor any particularly logical arguments grounded in a factual basis. Emotions, yes. Facts? Where?

The word is accurate and I know very well what it means. You both keep trying to excuse them and lay the blame elsewhere when they're terrorists, the blame lies with them>
But considering you're both terrorist apologists, I don't expect you ever to come to that understanding.
You're the one who doesn't understand the word then, they have no basis, as that would mean they have excuses and you're excusing them, point blank you're trying to blame somebody else for their actions, in saying they're somehow right for what they do. It's quite disgusting, and there's no basis for what they do, despite what you think.
Then you need to read where people have explicitly stated that they are not excusing, condoning or otherwise defending ISIS in particular, or terrorism in general.

And in order to short circuit this entire damn discussion:
Oxford said:
Apologist
A person who offers an argument in defence of something controversial:
an enthusiastic apologist for fascism in the 1920s
Saying simply that western society plays a non-insignificant role in the fact that they exist and have power isn't excusing, condoning or otherwise defending them.

I don't disagree with saying the leaders wouldn't use something else, but that doesn't change the point. It's irrelevant as to the number or %.
Which point would that be? And percentage of the total number of followers is absolutely relevant when you use a religion as a basis for blame.

They didn't corrupt it, it was already corrupt, and I'm not blaming a religion.
How was it already corrupt? How has it changed in the past century, 50 years, 10 years? And not blaming a religion?
I don't want to just blame it on islam, I blame it on radicals and those that support and excuse them, yet Islam is partially to blame as it's a tool in what they do, and it's a tool because of what it is
What you believe the cause of the problem is and what the cause of the problem is are two very different things, especially if you keep thinking the US attacked them first.
I'll perfectly admit what I believe is the cause of the problem, and what the actual cause of the problem may very well be different.
What would you say the is cause of the problem? Because "they are terrorists because they are terrorists" isn't a cause. Neither is "they are breeding terrorists". They people who have been radicalized, and extremized. Well yes, pretty much by definition. So how has it been possible for so many to be radicalized?

Why would they be radicalized? Because doing so gave someone more power. Why were they able to gain such a significant power base in such a limited time? When existing power structures are toppled, you don't necessarily get to choose how the new ones get built up.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-20 06:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

because they are terrorists because they are terrorists"

I laughed a bit more than I should have at this. But it accurately describes Jekt's analysis on the middle east.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-20 06:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I like how someone who is religious(myself) and someone who is not a fan of religion, like Milamber, can agree on certain things and can advance or alter our positions through conversation and debate on the things we disagree on.

But with Jekt its like talking to the same rerun of a FOX news broadcast. No matter what one says to him, it will have no consequence on their opinion or thought process. Jekt you are literally just repeating yourself over and over again regardless of what information is presented to you.

I will say this ONE LAST FINAL TIME - analyzing the circumstances and situations on the ground that lead to the current reality is not being an apologist. If anyone is serious about defeating terrorism, and not perpetuating it and giving organizations like ISIS recruitment fuel, then the causes and effects need to be understood.

Would you call a Detective or an investigator an apologist for establishing a murderer's motive?
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-20 07:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I like how someone who is religious(myself) and someone who is not a fan of religion, like Milamber, can agree on certain things and can advance or alter our positions through conversation and debate on the things we disagree on.

But with Jekt its like talking to the same rerun of a FOX news broadcast. No matter what one says to him, it will have no consequence on their opinion or thought process. Jekt you are literally just repeating yourself over and over again regardless of what information is presented to you.

I will say this ONE LAST FINAL TIME - analyzing the circumstances and situations on the ground that lead to the current reality is not being an apologist. If anyone is serious about defeating terrorism, and not perpetuating it and giving organizations like ISIS recruitment fuel, then the causes and effects need to be understood.

Would you call a Detective or an investigator an apologist for establishing a murderer's motive?
Actually, using terms like "terrorist" to simplify the grouping of people who are at odds with oneself is the root problem.

If people started actually referring to the groups by their actual names it would simplify the matter a lot more than just saying "yar t'urists".

Refer to ISIS as ISIS, Hezbullah as Hezbullah, Al Qaeda as al Qaeda and Hamas as Hamas.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-20 07:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying to shy away from the ongoing discussion, but would like to point out one minor thing
There's logic and sense in everything I say
This isn't actually a good point for..well, anything.
And that is because every single person on this planet believe to be logical when speaking or acting in any situation. It's the brain's self-preservation of sanity. Even if you do or say something extremely dumb your brain will think it acted according to logic(at best you'd regret it later thinking about it).

However, even if we believe to be following a perfect pattern, it doesn't mean we're actually right. Other people can find holes in the scheme(or others can fail to see the full structure and falsely criticize it).

So what I'm trying to say is: thinking of being logical is absolutely normal, we all do; but that doesn't make you necessarily right.
[+]
 Valefor.Rawry
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Rawry 2014-09-20 07:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Also honest question: but aren't Blazed and Maldini the same person? Always thought one was a sock account lol.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-09-20 07:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Maldini said: »

Actually, using terms like "terrorist" to simplify the grouping of people who are at odds with oneself is the root problem.

If people started actually referring to the groups by their actual names it would simplify the matter a lot more than just saying "yar t'urists".

Refer to ISIS as ISIS, Hezbullah as Hezbullah, Al Qaeda as al Qaeda and Hamas as Hamas.
It's all about buzzwords, it has no effect if you use names.

Al Qaeda had to be made into a synonym of terrotists in order to be used all the time. Same is being done for ISIS. Even if you use their names instead of terrorists, they're merely synonyms, so it's same ***, different smell.
I remember in the 90's when I learned what terrorists meant and it was just shocking how people would label groups or people as terrorists for literally any reason. Much like Jetackuu is doing now. But hey, what else would you expect from the core of the populace that is spoonfed buzzwords and their own thoughts?

The threads about middle East are really interesting on this website. They really expose people as frauds, and when it's done (usually within 2 pages of someone posting), it is 10+ pages of delusional rant, over and over, repeating themselves hoping for something to change. Insanity.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2014-09-20 07:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Rawry said: »
Also honest question: but aren't Blazed and Maldini the same person? Always thought one was a sock account lol.
Brothers. Not same person by any means, and not twins either.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-20 07:28:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

It's all about buzzwords, it has no effect if you use names.

Al Qaeda had to be made into a synonym of terrotists in order to be used all the time. Same is being done for ISIS. Even if you use their names instead of terrorists, they're merely synonyms, so it's same ***, different smell.
I remember in the 90's when I learned what terrorists meant and it was just shocking how people would label groups or people as terrorists for literally any reason. Much like Jetackuu is doing now. But hey, what else would you expect from the core of the populace that is spoonfed buzzwords and their own thoughts?

The threads about middle East are really interesting on this website. They really expose people as frauds, and when it's done (usually within 2 pages of someone posting), it is 10+ pages of delusional rant, over and over, repeating themselves hoping for something to change. Insanity.

I'd like to think that the time I spend responding to some of the misinformed at least puts a dent or crack in their wall. I don't do it out of insanity, although at times I think some will drive me there with the level of ignorance they posses.

On Ignorance: Some actually think that the US never meddled in other nations affairs and that the situation in the middle east is an intrinsic characteristic of the region. That's more or less racism and prejudice- the implication being Arabs and Asians are just violent people.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-20 07:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Rawry said: »
I am Offended.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-20 07:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I laughed a bit more than I should have at this. But it accurately describes Jekt's analysis on the middle east.

It honestly took me a minute to figure out who in the world "Jekt" was. I assume you're referring to the person everyone else refers to as "Jet" since it makes more sense.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-20 07:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I blame Prime. He misspellt it first.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-20 07:53:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Iran... I can't make this ***up...
 Leviathan.Xsoahc
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Xsoahc 2014-09-20 09:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

91 lashes will whip that vulgarity out of you!
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-20 09:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Iran... I can't make this ***up...

Iran or Saudi Arabia it doesn't really even matter.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-20 10:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_interventions_of_the_United_States
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_foreign_policy_in_the_Middle_East
I'll say it again: There's logic and sense in everything I say, and I'm 100% stable unless I change my mind (which doesn't usually happen). Everything I stated here was perfectly backed by logic, and backed by facts.
No, you have not provided any yet facts, nor any particularly logical arguments grounded in a factual basis. Emotions, yes. Facts? Where?

But considering you're both terrorist apologists, I don't expect you ever to come to that understanding.
Then you need to read where people have explicitly stated that they are not excusing, condoning or otherwise defending ISIS in particular, or terrorism in general.

And in order to short circuit this entire damn discussion:
Oxford said:
Apologist
A person who offers an argument in defence of something controversial:
an enthusiastic apologist for fascism in the 1920s
Saying simply that western society plays a non-insignificant role in the fact that they exist and have power isn't excusing, condoning or otherwise defending them.

Which point would that be? And percentage of the total number of followers is absolutely relevant when you use a religion as a basis for blame.

They didn't corrupt it, it was already corrupt, and I'm not blaming a religion.
How was it already corrupt? How has it changed in the past century, 50 years, 10 years? And not blaming a religion?
I don't want to just blame it on islam, I blame it on radicals and those that support and excuse them, yet Islam is partially to blame as it's a tool in what they do, and it's a tool because of what it is
What you believe the cause of the problem is and what the cause of the problem is are two very different things, especially if you keep thinking the US attacked them first.
I'll perfectly admit what I believe is the cause of the problem, and what the actual cause of the problem may very well be different.
What would you say the is cause of the problem? Because "they are terrorists because they are terrorists" isn't a cause. Neither is "they are breeding terrorists". They people who have been radicalized, and extremized. Well yes, pretty much by definition. So how has it been possible for so many to be radicalized?

Why would they be radicalized? Because doing so gave someone more power. Why were they able to gain such a significant power base in such a limited time? When existing power structures are toppled, you don't necessarily get to choose how the new ones get built up.

Thank you for proving my point and yourself wrong at the same time, until Reagan we didn't involve in combat, and we were attacked several times before then.

I state in known facts, I can't help it if you and the other terrorists apologists don't understand history or current events properly, no emotion, but that's apparently what you guys work with.

Yes, your words are conflicting, you can say you're not but right after (or before) you were doing just that, it's lunacy.

It is, and not to mention an inaccurate statement.

Here's where you don't understand, I don't blame the religion for the entire thing, but it does hold some responsibility, and again the numbers are irrelevant when the doctrine itself supports it.

Any religion promoting the genocide of non-believers (not to mention a crap ton of other atrocities, is by default corrupt), that hasn't changed at all.

You have a bunch of radicals who are brought in under the belief that America and it's freedoms are a slight against god and must be destroyed, along with twisting the counter assaults to the other radicals actions being used as excuses to recruit members, this is like the ***where people keep blaming Israel for the dead children in Gaza when the terrorists purposely line it up for them to die like that to use it as ammunition, and unlike you all I won't fall for it.

because they are terrorists because they are terrorists"

God damn you guys are stupid, can't even get a name right.

When somebody presents a good argument (which to Mil's defense, he actually does) I'll actually give it a whirl, you however don't provoke any higher level thought at all.

You speak of fox and it's tool's, yet you don't realize that you yourself are a tool.

I'll say this again: you are being an apologist, and your analysis is wholey inaccurate, if not an elaborate lie to gain support, it's ludicrous.

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Trying to shy away from the ongoing discussion, but would like to point out one minor thing
There's logic and sense in everything I say
This isn't actually a good point for..well, anything.
And that is because every single person on this planet believe to be logical when speaking or acting in any situation. It's the brain's self-preservation of sanity. Even if you do or say something extremely dumb your brain will think it acted according to logic(at best you'd regret it later thinking about it).

However, even if we believe to be following a perfect pattern, it doesn't mean we're actually right. Other people can find holes in the scheme(or others can fail to see the full structure and falsely criticize it).

So what I'm trying to say is: thinking of being logical is absolutely normal, we all do; but that doesn't make you necessarily right.

I didn't say personal logic, I said actual logic, I'm well aware of the difference, and know how to discern between the two. But you're right in one thing, logical deductions aren't necessarily accurate ones. I'll even admit Mil's logic is near flawless, but his premises need work. If you're working with bad data, well that's all that can be expected.

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
lolwhat? When a group uses fear to perpetrate their political goals (as these have) they are terrorists, that's textbook definition.

As to the other thing: lol'd.

I'd like to think that the time I spend responding to some of the misinformed at least puts a dent or crack in their wall. I don't do it out of insanity, although at times I think some will drive me there with the level of ignorance they posses.

On Ignorance: Some actually think that the US never meddled in other nations affairs and that the situation in the middle east is an intrinsic characteristic of the region. That's more or less racism and prejudice- the implication being Arabs and Asians are just violent people.
Talk about levels of ignorance...

I never said we never melded in other nation's affairs, we have, and way too much. But to say that the US wasn't attacked before we attacked them is an outright lie.

As to the bold: I have never asserted such a thing, nor would ever. Violence is however a human trait, as well as war, we're a disgusting people.

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

It honestly took me a minute to figure out who in the world "Jekt" was. I assume you're referring to the person everyone else refers to as "Jet" since it makes more sense.
^
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-20 11:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for proving my point and yourself wrong at the same time, until Reagan we didn't involve in combat, and we were attacked several times before then.
What?

The US was involved in covert action in the middle east when the CIA was established.

Did we overtly invade? No.

Did we manipulate, kill or otherwise try to control the situation? Yes.

Most
Some of those documents have been declassified and this is well known
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covert_United_States_foreign_regime_change_actions
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2014/01/16/the-great-game-and-the-cia-shaped-the-modern-middle-east
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/116108/hugh-wilfords-americas-great-game-reviewed-frederick-deknatel
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_activities_in_Iraq

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/csi-studies/studies/vol48no2/article10.html
CIA said:
that TPAJAX got the CIA into the regime-change business for good—similar efforts would soon follow in Guatemala, Indonesia, and Cuba—but that the Agency has had little success at that enterprise, while bringing itself and the United States more political ill will, and breeding more untoward results, than any other of its activities.14 Most of the CIA's acknowledged efforts of this sort have shown that Washington has been more interested in strongman rule in the Middle East and elsewhere than in encouraging democracy. The result is a credibility problem that accompanied American troops into Iraq and continues to plague them as the United States prepares to hand over sovereignty to local authorities. All the Shah's Men helps clarify why, when many Iraqis heard President George Bush concede that "[s]ixty years of Western nations excusing and accommodating the lack of freedom in the Middle East did nothing to make us safe,"15 they may have reacted with more than a little skepticism.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 9 10