BLM For Incursion.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » BLM for Incursion.
BLM for Incursion.
By cervelo84 2014-09-17 22:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

So I have run with blm's lately and really enjoyed whatever it is they do.

In delve it seems they Nuke and assist with CC when a Bard can't.

Incursion they help Breakga + sleepga.

I was wondering if any veteran BLM could shed some light on what their roll is and what you do when you get resists on Sleepga/ Breakga..and you have 2-6+ monsters running at you. Does gravity work. How is bind in this content of 125+? Maybe share a gearset?

Do you prefer SCH sj so you can do AOE bind?

I am considering breaking out my blm after years of retirement.

Thanks!
 Bahamut.Eddea
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Eddea
By Bahamut.Eddea 2014-09-19 12:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi,

Look, I'm not veteran, but, in incursion all my sleeps, breaks, silences, paralyzis, slows and blind works well, they land with no problems on normal mobs AND normal NM (I mean all of them but not the mega boss). I havent tried gravity yet, but I think it will work fine too.

My only problem in incursion is dps. Nuking with tier II seems not very strong, and my dps can't compete with DD's dps, it's a shame, and I think this is one of the reasons people don't like Black Mage in incursion. They prefer have a BRD buffing and sleeping mobs and a GEO, buffing, debuffing and nuking.
By Highwynd 2014-09-19 12:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You'll find yourself unable to land those debuffs at higher content levels without incredible m.acc and a Geo
[+]
 Asura.Psylo
Server: Asura
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2014-09-19 12:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, i will prefer come rdm/blm, fast sleepga recast, debuff, haste II, and possibility on chainspell stun MB.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-09-20 12:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I've gone BLM to Incursion a few times now. I mostly do crowd control on normal mobs. For bosses, I wait and Stun the next TP move whenever Stun is up. When Stun is down, I spam the ***out of AM2. Resists are still not much of an issue at 128.

I end up parsing double digits and do feel I generally serve a useful purpose. Crowd control with Sleepga -> Sleepga 2 -> Breakga -> repeat is much more stable than with just a RDM. I pull my weight, but BLM isn't an essential job so I end up playing BRD frequently instead.
[+]
 Asura.Triffle
Server: Asura
user: Triffle
By Asura.Triffle 2014-09-20 12:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

INCURSIO!!!!!!

[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-09-28 07:34:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, we ended up having a lot of people on two nights ago, so we had a pretty complete second party for a few iLevel 127 runs. My party was:
BLM (me), RDM, GEO (MDef-/MAcc+, I think?), RDM, BRD, SCH

I had a storm spell up almost all the time, triple Ballads up frequently, MDef- up most of the time on the mob, and all other buffs that you can imagine were inconsistent.

There were enough other sleepers that I just focused on pulling and doing damage for the most part. The two parses that I saved were:
5 NMs run: Koga SAM (26.2% combined), Tsuru SAM (23.7% combined), Me (23.2%), THF (11.1%)
and
2 NMs + Boss run: Koga SAM (36.2% combined), Me (21.4%), Tsuru SAM (16% combined), THF (12.9%)

I did more crowd control on the second run, specifically against the boss because he summons all those extra Velkk. The Tsuru SAM died against the boss and then died again to AoE, so he essentially missed the entire boss fight.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-09-28 08:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Careful, Byrth. You are going to make BLMs out there think they can come to Incursion. We can't have that.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Fabiano
Server: Ragnarok
user: fabiano
By Ragnarok.Fabiano 2014-09-28 08:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

well... a ranged job doesnt lose his weapon or gets other debuffs here and then . would be interesting to have a ranger party on a 18 ppl run .
By Airwave 2014-09-28 08:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

BLM can do pretty decent in there. (Keep in mind I have a well geared BLM, mythic and all that junk so I guess I'm saying it has the potential to do pretty good)

I've only done up to lvl 126 so at higher I might get a lot of resists. But currently DMG wise I have Thunder 1's doing about 2k on the normal mobs in my lowest possible magic acc set. On the NM's I switch to Mid-Acc/High Acc and I do about 1200-1900s or so, even the Mega Boss. Full resists do I don't know about 200-300 or so but don't see them too often when I swich to those sets. Can get a Thunder 1 off every 4-5 Sec give or take so it really isn't bad. I have a feeling at lvl 131 will get a bunch of resists though (DMG Wise, I double enfeeble wise) Pretty curious what DMG will be like in a full out magic acc set @ 131, only time will tell I guess!
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-09-28 08:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I spammed the crap out of AM2 to avoid pulling hate. Once melees established hate I would mix in a Comet or Blizzard V on bosses, but for the most part it was just AM2 spam.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-09-28 08:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

And Impact would help as well.

To bad I'm on Stun duty for my runs. I would like to see how my SCH would stand up.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-09-28 08:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mean to ***on Scholar necessarily, but BLM is only viable because of Ancient Magic. Otherwise there is no way to avoid pulling hate on NMs while remaining competitive damage-wise.
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-09-28 11:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

What does your nuke set look like on megaboss byrth?

I only have limited experience nuking megabosses on rdm and i'm curious what sort of int/macc/mab mix a blm stacks at content level 129+

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
Careful, Byrth. You are going to make BLMs out there think they can come to Incursion. We can't have that.
failure of subpar blm's in an incursion run is pretty spectacular and obvious when their gear isnt up to scratch, so I don't think we'll see a resurgence of popularity in the job except for those that seriously gear it.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-09-28 12:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I was only at 127 for those parses, but I was still going fulltilt mab/damage/etc. I can make a set later. At work now.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-09-28 12:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You keep mentioning ancient magic, is there an innate enmity reduction on it?
 Leviathan.Kaparu
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-09-28 12:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It's fixed. 300 VE/80 CE for AM and AM2

Both spell categories are extremely powerful now, you just need quite a bit of refresh to support it
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-09-28 12:43:50
Link | Quote | Reply

80 ce 300 ve when I tested. Each nuke is a coronach.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-09-28 12:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

damn, game changer right there
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2014-09-28 13:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

When did the static enmity and damage buff happen? Recently, or a few months ago?

By chance, do you know if Archmage's Sabots +1 need to be worn precast or midcast to work?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-09-28 13:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

IIRC months if not >1 year ago. Dasva tested it when it came out (and the info is somewhere on BG) and then I re-tested it a while ago when I was bored because I noticed they never pulled hate.

Also, I'm pretty sure I tested the Archmage Sabots and they have to be worn for completion.

Found the link:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/35228?p=452806#post452806

It was in the magic damage adjustment patch.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-09-28 14:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

My nuking set was approximately this:
ItemSet 328844
All Hagondes +1 have +28 MAB on them. Otomi has INT and Haste.

I swapped in Archmage Hat +1 and Sabots +1 for Freeze II (5/5). Below 80% MPP, I used Spaekona's Coat +1. If day or weather matched, I used Zodiac Ring and Twilight Cape (although I probably shouldn't have). For Earth nukes, Quanpur necklace. For Dark nukes, Pixie Hairpin +1 and Archon Ring.

My precast set is:
ItemSet 328845

Hagondes Cuffs have 5% Fast Cast on them. Dalm +1 has 2% Occ. Quickens and 6 Fast Cast. I need to blow some more freaking aquarian tatters. If I'm using Freeze II (5/5), I use Archmage Gloves +1. If I wasn't locking Laev so frequently these days, I'd probably make an Alluvion Skirmish staff with Occasionally Quickens on it.

So my gear is good, but it's imperfect. I honestly haven't sat down and hammered out exactly what I should be using when, so I just toss on enough damage stats that it kind of works out.
[+]
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-09-28 15:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Since BLM gets occult acumen trait and you have mythic, are you ever using your tp from nuking for Aftermath 1 or 2 for more macc/mab?
Or is it just more sensible to use tp for myrkr because of the heavy mana use of ancient magic?

For food, what are you using? I'm fond of cehuetzi snowcones.
However they seem a bit overkill on lower level runs when you dont have your usual group on, also the food duration doesn't quite sync up with the length of a run :/
Are people just going with crepe/creampuff food usually?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-09-28 16:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I was using snow cones, but they are quite a waste (at 500k/stack for a paltry DPS increase).

With G-horn ballads, Spaekona's, Refresh, Aspir 1/2 on the low tier mobs, and Convert, MP is not an issue. I think I only ran out of MP once during the three runs I did on Friday, and I used a Vile Elixir to keep nuking. I've gotten Aspir II to break 600 MP thanks to Pixie Hairpin +1.

I do maintain Aftermath level 2 with the TP I get from Occult Acumen. This reminds me that I should really swap in Perdition Slops for Impact, but I haven't added it to my gearswap file yet. I think I might have used Myrkr once the other day because I didn't want to run up to the NM and knew I'd have 2990 TP back before my Aftermath wore off, but otherwise I don't.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [71 days between previous and next post]
By cervelo84 2014-12-08 21:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow I learned more from this thread then I did from the BLM guide that is sticky'd.
\
Wish it would get updated.

I just got an amazing JSE cape from Incursion and got a full enfeebling set. Missing some nuke pieces / not sure what to use exactly, but I have a good idea. BLM's we take to incursion are parsing for about 5-8 % of total dmg. That's with them Sleeping/ breakaga.