79 Final Fantasy's?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » 79 Final Fantasy's?
79 Final Fantasy's?
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-12 12:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Games in The Final Fantasy Series

Earlier today we learned that Square Enix will release a Final Fantasy-branded mobile typing game. Square has released a lot of these kinds of spin-offs over the years and they include everything from action RPGs like Crystal Chronicles to the more strategic Final Fantasy Tactics… but how many Final Fantasy games have ever been made?

The main sequence has 14 entries so far, from the first NES game all the way to Final Fantasy XIV: Online. Add to that final fantasy X-2, XII: Revenant Wings and the re-release of XIV, A Realm Reborn, and we're at 17. For a series that's been running for 27 years, that's pretty reasonable. But then we start hitting the spin-offs.

The Tactics line has four releases. There's also a special group just for games based in the Final Fantasy VII universe that includes Before Crisis, Dirge of Cerberus, and Crisis Core. Adding in the Fabula Nova Crystallis compilation, which includes Type-0, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, and Agito, brings the running total to 28 games.

Next, we have the Crystal Chronicles line with seven different games, the Crystal Defenders series with another three, and the massive set of Chocobo-based spin-offs with 19 different games – more than the entire main series plus sequels. That puts us at 57 different games carrying the Final Fantasy moniker. To get the last few we have to include the Dissidia, Artniks, Theatrhythm, All the Bravest, etc. releases – a good chunk of which are mobile releases only ever released in Japan. In fact, out of 79 games, 22 of them were published in Japan only.

I dunno about you, but 79 games in 27 years seems like far, far too many. Then again, Mario's got almost 200… so there's that.

Source
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2014-09-12 12:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

What were the ones where you could play 4 player with a DS and someone had to carry some weird light thing around with the group?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-12 12:19:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Crystal Chronicles for game cube. For multi player you could hook up your Gameboy Advanced Sp up as a controller.

I still have my connection for sp to gamecube :D
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-09-12 12:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Crystal Chronicles for game cube. For multi player you could hook up your Gameboy Advanced Sp up as a controller.

I still have my connection for sp to gamecube :D
Lol same here. I was always intrigued by this feature of the game but never got around to playing with other people. /sadface
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-12 12:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

i actually enjoyed it. It was nice playing with other ppl that were enthusiastic about the game. First time i had played like that as a kid.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-09-12 12:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Does this list include Ehgiez: God Bless the Ring? There were like 5 FF7 characters in that game, too, and although not created by SE I don't think, still had some story and appearances from the main characters. That would make 80.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-09-12 12:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

i actually enjoyed it. It was nice playing with other ppl that were enthusiastic about the game. First time i had played like that as a kid.
You could say it was a precursor to the MMO of FF which lead me to FFXI.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-09-12 12:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you know ...

That the Mana series is a Final Fantasy spin off ?
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-12 12:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll settle for one good one at this point.
[+]
By Dasal 2014-09-12 12:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that including the 4 FF games on the original Game Boy, Final Fantasy Legend, Adventure 1-3 (or was it Legend 1-3, and Adventure, never can remember)?
By Jetackuu 2014-09-12 13:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Crystal Chronicles and the Zelda 4 swords game (not the gba add on to ALTTP) both used the gamecube>gba as controller feature, and while cool, was expensive to buy all of the extra needed tools.

Kinda like me owning 3 copies of ALTTP on GBA...

Also: Ehrgeiz was fun, I enjoyed the storymode and one day I'll get around to replaying it.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-09-12 19:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
I'll settle for one good one at this point.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-09-12 19:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

So which one is the final Final Fantasy?
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2014-09-12 19:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I played it with my 2 brothers, it was a really really fun game, I just wish it didnt require gameboys to play Co-Op, thats why a lot of people laughed at it... it was a silly concept.

Still, the Gameboy versions of Crystal Chronicles themselves were really fun and impressive as well, but the gamecube one was funnily enough one of the best if you could get the people
VIP
By Kalila 2014-09-12 19:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Even if XV fails, XI will keep SE going, and XIV is slowly making up for its cost.

If only Square released FFXI before that movie...
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-09-12 19:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-09-12 20:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
Even if XV fails, XI will keep SE going, and XIV is slowly making up for its cost.

If only Square released FFXI before that movie...

The movie wasn't bad. It was not what "Final Fantasy" nerds expected/wanted. Also they spent too much on it being naive and paying people within the industry too much money for their work.

I don't know if you're aware about it but at that point SONY was working on a device they called "GS CUBE" which was a cluster of PS2 CPUs and a single 32MB GS (Graphics Synthesizer) PS2 GPU chip.

It was a PS2 which could do 1080p rendering in real time even though there were no commercial displays capable of that at the time (2000). Even a normal PS2 can do 1080p (but if you remember old Windows 3.1 days, if you put your VGA card on it's maximum resolution you would get like hm, 16 colors, no ?)... So yes, a PS2 can do 1080p with 16 colors (remember, it's a computer and it could run Linux... I tested and 1080p works in it lol slow to a crawl but works).

Anyway the GS Cube thing bombed. Spirits within was supposed to be rendered on SONY's hardware but ended being done on Intel based SGI hardware.

SONY got pissed and *** up the PS2 HDD release (which FFXI required to work) forcing SE to quicken the development of the Windows version... From that it went downhill for Square Co. which eventually merged with Enix. The last "big tier" game they released using their "Squaresoft" trademark was the Japanese version of FF-X2.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-12 21:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Final fantasy 1 was supposed to be the final game actually'
By Jetackuu 2014-09-13 07:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I rather enjoyed spirits within...

edit: I miss squaresoft.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-15 13:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

didnt they have a final fantasy anime type-ish series? I remember when i was a kid being in blockbuster and seeing some kind of anime looking cover on a few different videos titled Final Fantasy
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-09-15 13:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

^love this song btw

end song for FFU:
[+]