FFXI On The Big Screen With A Tv + Controller?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI on the big screen with a tv + controller?
FFXI on the big screen with a tv + controller?
By cervelo84 2014-09-10 12:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

So my wife plays on the xbox and she will not play with a keyboard. Xbox has been fine for her but recently with some events she has been unable to play due to low frame rate that the Xbox delivers.

I was wondering who here on FFXIAH uses a PC and plugs there HDMI cable into it and uses a Xbox controller?

I am assuming that this can be done and if so is there anything I need to keep in mind when doing this? I am going to build her a pc in the next few days.

Just something cheap maybe 400.00.

Thanks for all your insight into this.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-10 12:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

check the tech support section of this website, what you are after has been done many times.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-09-10 12:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

xbox controller is not the ideal one for PC-FFXI since the game wont recognize the triggers.
usually better to use a ps2-3 controller works best for the game. (controller adapter)

as for playing on the TV, it is possible as long as the TV can handle the input.
I know of some TVs that don't display the pc graphics very well, but wont know until you try it, and not sure what kind of Resolution you might get out of it as well.

could add some speakers to the game, and use the VGA/DVI connector as well, as this would get you better visuals?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-10 12:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

PS3 controllers have the same issue 360 ones do, there's another thread going on about this, and honestly for simplicity sake I'd say throw win7 on it.

and get a wired 360 official controller, they're rather easy to get to work and there's instructions available for it.

Now if she doesn't mind the ps2 controller, get a usb adapter and the ***'s plug n play, just have to configure it in ffxi config like you would anything.
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-09-10 12:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

ps2 adapter is the best way to go TBH
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-10 12:54:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
PS3 controllers have the same issue 360 ones do

I never had a problem with ps3 controllers, outside of getting them set-up.

anecdotal evidence, though.
 Asura.Meekriot
Server: Asura
user: Meekriot
By Asura.Meekriot 2014-09-10 12:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I use a wired Xbox 360 controller for my PC version. It works perfectly fine, even though I can't use the trigger. I just use RB and LB for macros instead.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-10 12:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
PS3 controllers have the same issue 360 ones do

I never had a problem with ps3 controllers, outside of getting them set-up.

anecdotal evidence, though.
that's the issue...
By Jetackuu 2014-09-10 12:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meekriot said: »
I use a wired Xbox 360 controller for my PC version. It works perfectly fine, even though I can't use the trigger. I just use RB and LB for macros instead.
what os do you have?
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-10 12:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

that's the issue...

aaahhhhhh

nvm then, lol.
By cervelo84 2014-09-10 13:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

ahh so controller issues, we have a 120hz HDTV 40 inch or so, nothing crazy but 120 HZ should be ok I think. Its a JVC out of the box special.

SO you're saying the joystick doesn't track properly when you move around?

I just got windower and she wishes she could have it also. I don't understand why Square has not added timers for buffs and JA's. Only reason I can think of is they see it as "too busy" But it's so nice...
By Jetackuu 2014-09-10 13:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

personally I'd cap it at 60hz but meh.

shouldn't be an issue.

issue with the controllers: for starters 360 controllers suck, their raw data is awful, the 360 is nice and fixes it, but that's an annoyance the issue is the r2/l2 "triggers" work as an axis instead of buttons as the device is "x-input" and not "direct-input" ffxi only supports direct-input devices 100%

as others have said: you can always map your macros to r1/l1 (rb/lb) but I don't like that, nor do many others.

Here's your options (in order of ease):

Buy a PS2 controller to usb adapter off Amazon for like $7 and a ps2 controller, plug in, and configure ffxiconfig for the controller, bam done.

Buy a logitech F310 (or other controller capable of direct input, the f310 by logitech has a switch for both modes, x-input and direct-input), plug in, configure bam done. (build quality of the Logitech F310 is nowhere near what their old controllers used to be. (there's also a rumble model which costs more, and a wireless model (no power switch, so have to remove batteries, although I think it has a "sleep" function, never liked those).

I have a F310 and F710, if I knew where my rechargable batteries were I'd probably be using the 710 over my one usb adapter due to the cable length is short (moved it behind my desk, etc.)

Get a ps3/360 controller and deal with getting it to work in direct-input mode, as of right now, I have yet to get direct-input to work with the 360 controller wireless adapter on windows 7 64bit, but I haven't tried in over a year and my patience is no longer there. XBCD is the name of the 360 controller driver for xbox and wired 360 controllers, there's a version made for the wireless that some japanese dude made but I couldn't get it to do *** (I don't have a wired controller, have been meaning to borrow one to test with).

PS3: motioninjoy, it's adware and takes some fighting but it does work, even for wireless if you have a bluetooth adapter. There's a way to hack it into "offline" mode so it will function without calling home or with ads, but I don't remember if I did that manually or just downloaded that version.

Easiest method for wireless would probably be this:

Logitech F710

I'd just make sure you have a lot of AA's or rechargable batteries.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-09-10 13:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Just make sure the gpu you get has an HDMI output (most do these days). And you will be fine for the TV part of your question. For the rest, I have done both Playstation and XBox 360 controllers, both wired and wireless. I would recommend the Wireless XBox 360 controller for PC, seen HERE. It comes with a USB receiver, and requires no special drivers to work. The one downside, as mentioned above, is that the triggers do not natively work. You can reassign the macro buttons to the R1 and L1 bumpers, as well as the run/screenshot button to the Start/Select buttons. It doesn't take long to get used to this.

For keyboards, you can get a Bluetooth keyboard (and receiver if needed). I have found these more reliable than basic 2.4Hz wireless keyboards.
 Fenrir.Shznittle
Server: Fenrir
user: Snakeeyes
By Fenrir.Shznittle 2014-09-10 13:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

For me, i use a logitech controller. It was alot easier for me to get the controller button settings the way i want it, compared to the xbox controller. If i remember correctly, you need to use a 3rd party software to edit the buttons for the xbox controller.
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2014-09-10 13:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The game is normally framerate capped at 30fps anyway, so 120hz is more than fine. The hurdle, with regard to visuals, is really just finding a balance of resolution/font size that's comfortable for her to read. Just doing 1080p native resolution like you might on a monitor would likely make some elements too small.

The issue with 360 controllers is kind of a two parter.

Most PC game controllers use the DirectInput API, or used to anyway. The 360 controller (and XBox One controller, I assume) use a different one called XInput.

Games can support either one, or both. It's very common these days for PC games that can use a controller to support XInput, and in turn, the 360 controller works in them exactly like it does on a 360.

FFXI predated XInput, and support for that never been added in. The official driver for the 360 pad has DirectInput compatibility, but, the analog triggers are implemented as additional axis rather than buttons.

Assuming that you want all four triggers for XI, you either need a third party driver for the 360 pad, or you need to use a controller with better/more appropriate DirectInput implementation.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-09-10 13:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Shznittle said: »
If i remember correctly, you need to use a 3rd party software to edit the buttons for the xbox controller.

No. You can use the SE FFXI Config program to reassign buttons for XBox/360 controllers. You just have to know what buttons are what, since they are designated as Button 1, 2, 3, etc.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-10 13:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I can tell you I've seen pictures of past LS members who played on a big screen television.

Not going to lie, it looked like ***.
 Leviathan.Behemothx
Server: Leviathan
user: BehemothZ
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2014-09-10 13:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
I can tell you I've seen pictures of past LS members who played on a big screen television.

Not going to lie, it looked like ***.

That makes no sense. You can set it to the resolution you want.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-10 16:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
If i remember correctly, you need to use a 3rd party software to edit the buttons for the xbox controller.

No. You can use the SE FFXI Config program to reassign buttons for XBox/360 controllers. You just have to know what buttons are what, since they are designated as Button 1, 2, 3, etc.
You need a 3rd party driver/software utility if you want the buttons to work properly.
 Asura.Meekriot
user: Meekriot
By Asura.Meekriot 2014-09-10 16:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

what os do you have?

I have Windows 7. I also have it on another one of my laptops that uses Windows Vista still. Both work perfectly.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-10 16:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

what os do you have?

I have Windows 7. I also have it on another one of my laptops that uses Windows Vista still. Both work perfectly.

can you give xbcd http://www.redcl0ud.com/files/XBCDv107.exe

or x360ce

http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downloads/detail?name=x360ce%20vibmod%203.1.4.1.zip&can=4&q=

a whirl and let me know if that enables proper enumeration?

I don't have a wired controller to test.
By Zubis 2014-09-10 16:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The UI scale in Windower can help if you need large text on the screen for the menu.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-09-10 18:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

You need a 3rd party driver/software utility if you want the buttons to work properly.

to get the triggers to work, yes. but doing this requires 3rd party drivers, and if you do this, it will disable the triggers being functional for other games, like FFXIV.

but to reassign the macro buttons to the bumpers and bumpers to the start/select, you can simply use the FFXI Config tool.

here is the setup i use.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-10 18:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You can easily just use a xinput wrapper for the other programs, or do what I do and instance XI in their own VMs.

Reassigning is all fun and good, but really sucks. Especially when the OP is setting this up for his woman.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-09-10 18:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

You can easily just use a xinput wrapper for the other programs, or do what I do and instance XI in their own VMs.

Reassigning is all fun and good, but really sucks. Especially when the OP is setting this up for his woman.

So you are recommending setting up a VM to just run FFXI, and potentially needing to do an xinput wrapper for everything else, vs. just making changes for one game?
By Jetackuu 2014-09-10 18:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So you are recommending setting up a VM to just run FFXI, and potentially needing to do an xinput wrapper for everything else, vs. just making changes for one game?
I have 3 vms just for XI, they're not hard to set up.

Considering the OP's setting up a PC to just play XI and nothing else (which basically renders your objection moot), I'm providing options based on the OP's problems, and possible solutions.

Changing the configuration to where it's still not working properly isn't a proper solution in my book.

so if you have another suggestion for a properer solution to the problem instead of basically telling people to "deal with it" it would be appreciated otherwise your negativity is distracting.

btw: XI isn't the only game with this issue, but you know...
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-09-10 19:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

as you said, he is setting up for his wife to play ffxi, having used to play on xbox, so other games having the issue isnt in question. i used to use one of the 3rd party drivers, and unless they have changed, i had to manually go through the process of reinstalling them any time i restarted my PC. which if it is still like that, may be more of a headache than he or his wife want to mess with. You offered one solution, i offered another. Both have advantages, both have drawbacks. let the OP decide which he wants to do.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-10 19:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yours isn't a solution to the problem though...

It sounds like your driver wasn't signed.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-09-10 19:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't, But at the time, approx a year ago, that is all that was available, a 3rd party unsigned driver from some JP site. And Windows 7 doesn't like unsigned drivers
By Jetackuu 2014-09-10 20:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

yet it's easy to bypass that...