What Makes You Go "OH SHIT!"?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » What makes you go "OH SHIT!"?
What makes you go "OH SHIT!"?
By jaegermeister 2014-09-07 07:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of boredom this sunday, my mind drifted back to all those moments where someone in party comes equiped with either the best gear ever or the worst.

This for me range from random pick up PLDs with burtgang to DDs with lvl 14 str rings at lvl 99. What I'd like to ask is, what has made you go "OH ***!" lately? It can be good or bad, and may also include skills (someone saving a run soloing Wopket, or crushing a run in a fasion that would make you, you guessed it, go "OH ***!").
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-09-07 07:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think I've really felt that way since I was a starry eyed New Adventurer, staring up at the first lvl 75 PLD I ever saw and knowing that was my destiny.

I suppose I was impressed when my friend made a 99 daurdabla.
[+]
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2014-09-07 07:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI's up and down economy over the years has made me go "Oh Sh**!" on some occasions. Inflation, and quoting Palmer from FFVII: "Rate Hike! Rate Hike!"

Oh and the first ever WKR I did last year was...Yumcax...and the end result....massive MPK for everyone "I had a massive OH Sh**! moment on my face the size of a Galka. :P
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-09-07 07:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

havn't relly had this since i've seen Minidragon from Bismark preban. afterglow would probly be the only thing epeen wise no-a-days.
 Leviathan.Syagin
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-09-07 08:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Now to think of It I, I know the push in this day and age is casual play and equality but personally I think that is all the game is missing at this point.
 Phoenix.Michiiru
Server: Phoenix
user: Michiiru
By Phoenix.Michiiru 2014-09-07 08:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

My first OH ***moment was when someone trained up a bunch of mandragoras near windurst and then ran them all towards me, thinking they had just aggro'd me.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-07 08:20:40
Link | Quote | Reply

My first "oh ***" moment came to me in a form of a Ram named Steelfleece Baldarich.

I was a low level RDM minding my own business slaughtering sheep when all of the sudden I was dead from 2 hits. I looked at the log, saw that I was killed by an unknown mob, moved my camera around and all of the sudden, a ram's face showed up on most of my screen.

Bricks were shat at that time. First time I saw a ram in the game.

(I was a XBOX beta tester at the time)
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-09-07 09:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Quadav train in Gustaburg on my first day
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Sylph.Ryogo
Server: Sylph
user: Rolypoly
By Sylph.Ryogo 2014-09-07 09:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought I was going to get AV title (because one-job brd) then iirc it did meteor or some one-shot. Everyone RR at the same time, then, boom, again.

Maat and CoP, in general.

CoP Mission "The Savage". Ouryu fell asleep flying. Party crying for me to use last Mistmelt while I try to convince them he's actually sleeping somehow. I cave in and nothing happens. Full attack. Sound of weapons being put away and the screen dims. Thought we timed out. Win.
 Asura.Echandra
Server: Asura
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2014-09-07 10:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

walking into crawler's nest. I figured, hey there will be crawlers in the zone, but never did I expect to have 10000000 at the entrance.

let the standing outside the zone commence.....

"DON'T ZONE IN."
*people zone in anyway* then about 30 minutes later come riding back up on a choco and wait like everyone else.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-09-07 11:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Everytime I invite an xbox player who dc's on a Boss I'm like.. Oh ***Microsoft
 Valefor.Ophannus
Server: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2014-09-07 11:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sitting in jeuno waiting 10 hours for an invite along with 5 other drgs, i came to the realization that we could make a drg-burn. 95% sure i was the first person to come up with this idea because everyone thought i was crazy back in 04. At any rate, it was surprising that 6DD could outpull/outkill a 2rng 1war 1pld 1brd 1rdm party pre rng nerf. Since we had 6 dds plus the 6 wyverns plus we were all the healers as well, we could actually never have to rest for down time. And 6dd > 3dd. At level 60ish there was no autorefresh gear, so even if you had a brd, you eventually had to rest. With 6drg/rdms you never had to as long as people brought juices with them. Since we had no downtime we just trounced them out. Rng could do fantastic damage back then but not double the damage of 6 dds+pets. This was lv 60-63 i believe. Also, we were fighting multiple at a time(and then this rng pt came and tried to camp on top of us and force us to leave even though we were there first; they ended up leaving because they didnt have enough things to chain). Penta thrust>skewer i believe made transfixion which we were all spamming. This made me go ohsh*t

For new players, there was no dd gear drg could wear at lvl60 except for scorpion harness, which was like 15m at the time. Other options later released in toau or wotg were nonexistent, so AF was best in slot sadly for most jobs except those that could use haubergeon or rich enough to have scorpnharness
[+]
By Zoltar 2014-09-07 20:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
My first "oh ***" moment came to me in a form of a Ram named Steelfleece Baldarich.

I was a low level RDM minding my own business slaughtering sheep when all of the sudden I was dead from 2 hits. I looked at the log, saw that I was killed by an unknown mob, moved my camera around and all of the sudden, a ram's face showed up on most of my screen.

Bricks were shat at that time. First time I saw a ram in the game.

(I was a XBOX beta tester at the time)

Rams were the first mobs in the game to make my ps2 dualshock controller vibrate. I didn't even think this game supported it lol needless to say I was like oh ***! :-)
[+]
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-09-07 21:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Back in the day, I was in my "60s" at WHM job. For some reason I needed to go to Crawlers Nest (I think it was for a quest but I honestly don't remember now, that happened in 2004).

There was like a ton of people outside (30+ people) and I went in having no idea what was going on... As the screen fade out and shown "loading data" on the corner nothing could prepare me for the horror I would face inside.

It was so brutal I was already dead licking crawler dung by the time the screen went out of the blackness of zoning.

That was my "oh ***" moment.
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2014-09-07 21:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Just recently I farmed Abyssea - Miser gold chests and remember Sirens hairs deprecated in value so i left some alone in the boxes.

I went to the AH later today and saw they were 100k+

OH SH**!
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-07 22:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
I don't think I've really felt that way since I was a starry eyed New Adventurer, staring up at the first lvl 75 PLD I ever saw and knowing that was my destiny.

I suppose I was impressed when my friend made a 99 daurdabla.

When I first saw a PLD in full valor gear, that was enough for me to make it my main. Still one of the nicest looking sets out there, imo.
 Phoenix.Libbien
Server: Phoenix
user: Alttp
By Phoenix.Libbien 2014-09-07 23:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of my favorite oh @@@@ moments throughout ffxi...

1) soloing Ramuh as an arrogant lvl 95 drg and getting 1 shot by Judgment Bolt, that was the last time I did an avatar fight without buffing for it.

2) the first time I found Turul

3) the first time a bogy crashed my dunes pt

4) the first colibri pt in wajaom woodlands with pld thf(me) rdm, soboro samx2 and a drg... still the best xp (old school style) pt I've ever had

5) the first time i saw an afterglow weapon (Ryu from Sata on Phoenix)

This is just the first 5 I thought of, I'm sure there's been more
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
user: Rahziela
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2014-09-08 00:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

~~75 cap days

1. The first time a Gob fully demolished one of my exp parties with a bomb.

2. The first time I saw a RDM fully decked out in AF. Dat pimp hat!

3. Getting my pimp hat.

4. Seeing the Light SC for the first time, then on the next mob, seeing Darkness for the first time. The DRK closing switched weapons.

5. Hearing the music in Dynamis-Xarcabard for the first time.

(6-9 were all in the same day.)

6. Log on right in front of Charybdis. Thankfully, a buddy was in the zone farming that could help.

7. An hour later, sky run with the LS. Wyrmal leg abj. was supposed to go to 3 people in front of me. One no-showed, one was "grounded" from the game by the wife, and one quit the LS that day. Kirin chose then to be generous.

8. Not long after Kirin, I grab my mats I had held on to for when I got the paper. LS alchemist HQ'ed.

9. That night, Dynamis LS ran Xarc. The "acting lieutenant" (we called him the attendance nazi) got a Pimp Hat V2 from a random mob. The RDM NM dropped another and I had literally 1 more point than the next person. That was a good day for gaming. Haven't had luck like that since.

10. Two words: Cosmic Elucidation

11. Windy WotG mission line - The Fenrir cutscenes.

~~Post-75 cap

1. The first time I saw big numbers on an Ironclad before the damage phases were understood.

2. The day I saw that 99 Daurdabla had 4 songs. It became my mission.

3. Provenance Watcher

~~iLvl days - I left the game for a year before Seekers came out, so there was alot to take in when I came back. I was late to the party, so everyone else around me was long familiar with things. However, I was in awe of the scope of Wildskeeper, especially once I read that when it was first released, it took entire servers forever to take them down. After reading the horror stories, it felt somewhat satisfying that Yumcax was my first win.
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
user: Rahziela
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2014-09-08 00:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn! I forgot three.

The first time I got smashed by Sea Horror on the ferry.

The first time I was on the ferry when it was attacked by pirates.

Witnessing the abuse of Rune Chopper before they fudged with Haste.

EDIT -- Make that four. 99,999 Everybody's Rancor on the tank during BCs when skill torques (particularly Enfeebling) were the big thing.
 Ragnarok.Evalyn
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Evalyn 2014-09-08 05:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

When my stun set was 10 seconds (It's 7 seconds now.) and my recast would be up and Tojil would cast Blaze Spikes.