Server Merge Maybe????

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Fenrir » Server Merge Maybe????
Server Merge Maybe????
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2014-09-01 14:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole argument seems a bit superfluous really. SE will continue using the PS2 excuse even if not a single subscriber is still using one. Whether it's true or not is irrelevant. They think of you all as suckers who will continue paying them no matter how terrible the service becomes.

Same for the packet loss. They've probably increased the load each server machine is responsible for handling so that they need less of them to run the game. The fact it generates packet loss due to overload doesn't matter because it's not like you'll stop paying them.

I'm really curious to see just how poorly this all ends.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 14:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
FFXI runs on even the shittiest pc, who the hell would even need to buy one to play it. Computers exist in every household unless it's a poor family(who wouldn't be paying sub for a game), so let's drop this absurd concept that those poor jp can't afford one just justify playing on ps2.

There are many reasons why you could like playing on ps2 more than on pc, such as wanna stay on the couch rather than at the desk while playing, not liking change, not wanting to buy a new disc, etc. But all that rambling about Japan is just trying too hard to defend your position.

It's not hard to defend my position as there are people who can't afford it, or not willing to afford it in lieu of other things. Why replace something to do task X when the device you have to do task X functions perfectly fine?

It is illogical.

As for "any computer can play it" no, no it can't. Granted the requirements are really really low, you still need at least some kick to overcome the issues of it's coding.

So miss Italy, tell me again how things are in Japan?

You aren't replacing the PS2 with a PC for gaming, most ppl need it for daily work/internet/bigger screen so they may as well buy a PC.

Yet that was exactly what we were talking about, good job at not following along.

I'm sorry, most tvs are bigger than monitors, and most people work at the office, not at home, and if I remember right, the business culture is usually a pretty demanding one over there, if we're talking about JP's only (which we aren't by this point).

So nice job at trying to change the subject: again.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 14:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
The whole argument seems a bit superfluous really. SE will continue using the PS2 excuse even if not a single subscriber is still using one. Whether it's true or not is irrelevant. They think of you all as suckers who will continue paying them no matter how terrible the service becomes.

Same for the packet loss. They've probably increased the load each server machine is responsible for handling so that they need less of them to run the game. The fact it generates packet loss due to overload doesn't matter because it's not like you'll stop paying them.

I'm really curious to see just how poorly this all ends.
I'm curious as to what they consider packet loss in an instanced event.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-09-01 14:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

the server either neglects to send out information or their infrastructure drops it somewhere with pretty high frequency(5-10% in a busy instance), it's not isolated to instanced areas any more(it was up to a certain point), but it's much easier to observe there.. my guess is that the action just doesn't get thrown into the pending transmission for some reason or another on the server since you usually are receiving incoming packets at the time they're dropped

packets is a misnomer due to laziness, a normal transmission is a blowfish encrypted packet that when decrypted contains any amount of chunks structured as:

byte 1: chunk ID
byte 2: 1/2 of total chunk length
byte 3-4: a sequence ID used to ensure packets are arriving in the correct order
byte 5+: various data pertaining to the chunk

action(incoming chunk 0x028) is the most common data chunk to be omitted, or at least the most apparent due to the importance of it's effects.. you'll frequently notice these things happening during any instanced area when the instance server is overloaded(primetime, na or jp, is a good bet)
-if it's representing a tp start, the player has no way to know a tp move was readied as they miss animation and chat log
-if it's representing a player move finishing, you don't get the animation or any log message, nor will client get recast(just reads 0:00 until ready again)
-if it's representing a monster move finishing, you don't get any animation or log indication, but party updates will show the hp drop eventually

the game is playable with this happening, especially with how little importance stun has at this point, but it's something that should've been addressed prior as it's been happening since shortly after delve was released

while the symptoms make it seem unlikely it's related to networking(you'll receive packets, they just won't contain every chunk they should contain), it's much more prevalent when the server is busy(whether it's your instance or another), indicating some sort of software or hardware limitation
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 15:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I know what a packet is, but I guess I just haven't experienced it.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-09-01 15:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

don't have to take my word for it, there's a huge thread whining about it on bg, for the time period that the playerbase was still significant and delve was beatable people went to strategies as extreme as pulling the megaboss away from every other mob(to minimize other actions) to try to increase their chances of being able to see the TP they needed to stun
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 15:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not doubting you, I was just curious is all.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-09-01 15:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Its rare but I have had a few lahars go off 0 animation 0 chatlog
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 15:19:04
Link | Quote | Reply

now that you mention it...

ok.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-09-01 16:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The usual thread with the usual doomsday prophets. Yeah, the game is so gonna die just like it was 6 months ago and then 1 year ago and then 2 years ago. Gotta love it.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bongarippa
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bongarippa 2014-09-01 16:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Games been on its way out since 2008. Soon enough, any day now!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 16:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
The usual thread with the usual doomsday prophets. Yeah, the game is so gonna die just like it was 6 months ago and then 1 year ago and then 2 years ago. Gotta love it.
Bismarck.Bongarippa said: »
Games been on its way out since 2008. Soon enough, any day now!
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-01 16:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Schizm Gallantry said: »
You don't use twitter, JP loves twitter. Guess who's the real person not knowing JP culture!
It's 10x easier to visit forum and send email with a PC. Bigger screen and easier to type. Phone is only useful when you're outside.

Lol@ go to the library in 2014.

I wasn't talking about games, if you're talking about games obviously a console is superior option.

I never said I was an expert on their culture?

What's wrong with a library?

We were talking about games, sorry if you can't follow the thread. As that was the whole point.

No you weren't. You said JP can't afford computers, that statement isn't relevant to video game.

Even a none gamer needs a PC to do daily work, fact.

I said some JP can't afford a computer and it was inferred that I meant for gaming, and it was in a conversation about replacing a console with a computer for gaming.

As to your bold: not at all, even me who loves being on the computer can go days without getting on it.

I was following the thread, more like you changed the direction the moment you made the PC price comment.

You said JP play on PS2 and couldn't afford a PC, which turned the entire conversation into something not just about gaming.

Even if I play FFXI on PS2, I'd still need PC for work and easier internet access, video game is barely relevant in this discussion, even if the original discussion was about video game.

Just going to throw my two cents in here. Really in Japan, they don't run off and buy cheap things. Especially a family buying their computer will go with reliability and name brands.

My aunt in Japan took a long time to get her PC because she was going to buy quality. In the US, we want deals and rather than thinkings I will be a consumer and spend more money for a business to succeed, we buy just about anything to save a dollar.

The younger generation in Japan is different, in the long run, my aunt could of easily bought a computer for $700 but wanted a Sony one that ran her close to $1,500.

With housing, taxes and even paying $500 a month just to park a car, it was more thought of as a long term investment.
Pricier long term investments often save the most money, particularly with trusted, well-established brand names.

It's actually one of the forefronts of how Denden city and Akihabara are so successful at selling electronics. The business districts in Japan focus on pumping out quality over quantity, because the devices are made to last 10-12+ years, rather than having to be replaced every 2-3 years.

I bought my PSP-2000 back in 2008, and only recently upgraded to the Vita (mostly for SAO: HF), and it's been a better handheld device than basically any other brand.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 16:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair: I've had my DS about a decade now, granted I had to replace the screen in it, as somehow it cracked...
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-01 16:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I went from a DS to a 3DSXL because it was something my brother bought me for my birthday - Metallic Blue and Black.

Also went from an SP Advance to a DS because my mom "borrowed" my SP and never gave it back. She still plays Doctor Mario on the SP
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 16:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
I went from a DS to a 3DSXL because it was something my brother bought me for my birthday - Metallic Blue and Black.

Also went from an SP Advance to a DS because my mom "borrowed" my SP and never gave it back. She still plays Doctor Mario on the SP

Oh I still have my broken Advance (screen, stepped on it like a tard), my 2nd SP (first one got jacked with Minish Cap in it), my DS, my 3dsxl (sold my first 3ds to my friend, as I needed the cash, and there was only one game on it I wanted to play at the time, and I tore through it fast).

Interestingly enough: it's the same game I'm missing now, even though I bought it again.
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-09-01 16:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Aren't they making a new 3DS that has exclusive games? Dumb!!!
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-01 16:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

My brother managed to get his hands on a JP release PSP-1000 Metallic Blue series PSP... it worked until he stepped on the screen, and broke it. Then he got a PSP2000 to replace it.

Reason he got a PSP1000 JP model was because a contact of his works at an independent gaming store (actually, she owns several locations) and brought a few back from Japan.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 16:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

idk, I still want to slap the person who designed and coined the "2DS" with a brick.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-01 16:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do you think so many people thought the 2DS was a joke at first?

"Smaller, yet bulkier than the 3DS, doesn't flip close, etc."

Should have seen some of the funny things people would rather do with a 200 dollar doortstop.

Nintendo actually marketed an inferior product that was released after one of it's best sellers.

And here's the kicker - it's supposedly selling rather well.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 17:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose budgets are tight and parents figure "it plays it, who cares."

I wouldn't mind if it did the same, but was a flip, I don't use the 3d ***anyway, just the clamshell protects the screen from scratches, and makes it pocketable, etc.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-01 17:04:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It actually costs just as much (some places it costs more) than the 3DS and XL versions. I would understand it better if it were to cost less, but it doesn't.

Basically, it's a 200 dollar door wedge.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-01 17:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The retro grey brick Gameboy with the same features as the 2DS would have been a more nostalgic and worthy endeavor. And something more consumers would have paid out for.

I still have a few of the rounded edge versions (because stupid kids kept poking themselves in the eye with the sharp edge version) tucked away somewhere. They also still work.
 Sylph.Chocobro
Server: Sylph
user: Bilix
By Sylph.Chocobro 2014-09-01 17:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2014-09-01 19:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Is your argument that because the game's not going to die tomorrow, it's never going to die

or

that because people have historically thought the game was dying, it means anyone who thinks it is always going to be wrong

Because both are fallacious.

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 21:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Chocobro said: »
It's a much better discussion.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7