PS3 Controller+ Driver +FFXI...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » PS3 controller+ driver +FFXI...
PS3 controller+ driver +FFXI...
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-08-30 15:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

So okay. Since I'm planning on going for XIV once seekers ends, I decided to get a new controller. I wanted one that'd take a beating, and since we do have a PS3 downstairs I decided to try to get that working on my PC. Just got the cord part today and was trying to fix it with my brother's sixaxis. (My dual shock 3 is on its way tomorrow!)

Someone recommended was this. The bottom L and R buttons did not work properly on my first attempt. Help? Mind, the plan is to use it for USB only for now.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 16:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The only one I've ever gotten to work is motioninjoy

unfortunately it's adware, there's ways to get around that (basically modify it to work "offline" etc.

Personally I use a PS2 controller via an adapter, as it's much less hassle.
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-08-30 16:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Hope I don't have to go that far, jet, I tried motioninjoy and it won't work at all, it's all broken. Ads broke as CRAP, nothing works.

I conldn't d/l ANYTHING with it. Well, here's try number 2.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 16:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It takes some work, if you're going to try again though, delete all the current controller drivers you have installed, (uninstall from device manager and tell it to "delete driver"). (If you've used multiple programs now, might take a few attempts, unplug controller and plug it back in until it doesn't find a driver at all).

also do a restart after that, windows loves reboots.

It's been like 2+ years since I've used it, I'll give it a whirl again soon though, for the lulz, and try to make a video.
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-08-30 16:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, I'll get rid of what I did but save that, once I retire from FFXI I'll prolly go with those drivers tho. It's a LOT less hassle to install than some crap with broken as ***ads.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 16:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll look into that other one later, did you say the r2/l2 didn't work for that, or it didn't even see the controller?
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-08-30 16:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

It saw it. The R2/l2 didn't work for FFXI.

Otherwise it's a GREAT driver with a lot less hassles.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 16:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I'll look into it later. Raptor party, woo!
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-08-30 16:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks. Oh and MotioninJoy did the trick, tho when I kill FFXI, it dies the death, woo! *goes back to reconfiging the controller so when the dual shock 3 gets here..*
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 16:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I forgot they had 2 different controllers for that thing.
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-08-30 16:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Most people do. I figure the Sixaxis will work while I wait for it, Amazon says it'll be here tomorrow. (At least my brother was really gracious about it, he says he'll config the new one with his PS3 too, so I can unhook it, take it downstairs and cream him on some beat 'em up lol! I told him if he stole it perm tho I was going to kick his butt)

I just don't like monkeying with drivers/crap on Sunday which is why I borrowed the Sixaxis, I SWEAR, it may be jynxed but every time I do that on Sunday, I mess up my PC. So since 'bro likes the Dual Shock 3 better than the Sixaxis (Frankly I think I like the Dual Shock 3 better myself)..might as well get that crappo over with today.
By Zubrin 2014-08-30 18:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You can use the Motioninjoy drivers without the adware program. See the link below.

http://betterds3.ciebiera.net/

That's what I used before I opted for PS2 to USB for simplicity. It's nice because it gives you options to use the PS3 controller as either XInput (X360) or DirectInput. Some older games including FFXI need DirectInput because they don't play nice with the analog triggers from XInput. I think the PS2 GTA ports also have this issue.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 18:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not that they don't play nice, it's that they don't support xinput.
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-08-30 21:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the MotionInJoy drivers ended up crashing my pc and not playing nice with a PS2 emulator I have. Not good. Especially since I am trying to work on beating Kingdom Hearts, lol. (I hope someday to be able to afford a PS3 so I could get the collections, maybe PS4 for KH3..but that's beside the point.)

So I checked on the site of that first wrapper/driver and found a workaround; I simply made a xpadder profile for the offending buttons (they're mapped to CTRL and ALT); Now I have my macros back. It's kinda well..not fun but at least it works. Now if I could make a script or something that'd load xpadder before Playonline..if anyone'd know how?

Oh and if anyone wants to try the Xpadder fix for this if you don't like adware crapola, let me know, I'll post it here. Seems like MotionInJoy is also abandonware.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 22:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Could always load xpadder with windows, but eww.

Another option: virtualize your ffxi install into vmware.
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-08-30 22:50:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Not too worried, I have it for a couple games anyway that have little to no controller support. I'll think about loading it with windows so I won't forget, it's only the CTRL and ALT buttons anyway that it's mapping, rest FFXI handles.

It's just sad that you have to jump though so many hoops now a days for things like that.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 22:56:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I never had to use it with motioninjoy, I know a lot of persons that did, but I never had to, but I had to fight with it a bit to do so.
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-08-30 23:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe it, anyway the reason you have to with the newer homebrew ones is..they're wrappers for the Xbox 360 drivers. Which makes those two buttons "triggers" or something, but seems Windows can see them, so Xpadder can be a bandaid on it.

It's just the same problem that Xbox 360 controllers have; but between having to xpadder and blue screens, I'll take Xpadder.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 23:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

That's nothing new, acts the same way it always has.
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-08-31 00:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Figures. Anyway I'm playing with some of the advanced features on xpadder to see if I can get those to act better and have more of a pause before the bar disappears. It has some nice features, you just gotta dig.
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-09-21 20:29:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Pardon the double post but I MIGHT of found a fix that's even better than Xpadder. I got frustrated and went to the old controller for a while for FFXI only, I'll be trying this tomorrow:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Dinput-Wrapper-for-SCP-Driver

If that works I can use that when I play FFXI, and no more using my brother's old controller which supports direct input. Don't want to do any monkey business on sunday, I'll screw it up for sure.

I'll report back once I install that.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2014-09-21 21:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

After the motionjoy and lib32 method stopped working for me, I found this gem of a program for my wireless PS3:

XInputer Wrapper

edit: forget how the setup was but all buttons worked fine for me

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-09-21 21:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree Angierus, I hate using malware/crap, not to mention motioninjoy is abandonware now!

I'll see if I can get the triggers working, worst case if that new dinput thing doesn't work, I'll steal neko's Xbox 360 controller for a little bit.

The trouble is FFXI NEEDS some kinda direct input or it will steal the L2/R2 buttons, thinking they are triggers. Otherwise I have no issues with the wrapper.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-21 22:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

While there's ways to block said backdoors, it's best to just not use it I agree.

As soon as I get my hands on a wired 360 controller I'll be doing some testing/documentation of different settups, since I have a craptop of controllers.
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-09-22 00:05:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay! that directinput wrapper works a treat! No more having trouble with R2/L2! Now to make sure the buttons are configed right and I put a shortcut to the mapper on the desktop so I can run it before I run FFXI, otherwise it doesn't work.

I figured the problem was FFXI hates xinput (which that wrapper is). I'll give my brother back the old controller and just..play on :D
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [90 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Nicknick
Server: Siren
user: Nicknick
By Siren.Nicknick 2014-12-21 00:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Elizara said: »
Okay! that directinput wrapper works a treat! No more having trouble with R2/L2! Now to make sure the buttons are configed right and I put a shortcut to the mapper on the desktop so I can run it before I run FFXI, otherwise it doesn't work.

I figured the problem was FFXI hates xinput (which that wrapper is). I'll give my brother back the old controller and just..play on :D

Can you explain the steps you took if you don't mind? I'm running into the same initial issue you were having (using an Xinput wrapper for either a DS3 or DS4 controller) but the triggers were not read by FFXI. Any help would be appreciated as I've been tackling this problem for a few days straight now...
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-12-24 09:13:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone also asked me that in a pm so I'll go though it again.

First, if ya installed motioninjoy at any point, KILL IT DEAD. It's ***.

Next install Scarlet Crush's XIinput Wrapper and make sure it's working in PCSX2 so you know you got it installed right. (Use any PS2 game.) (Note, this might work with other xinput wrappers as long as they are based on Scarlet Crush's.)

Finally, install this and make sure you follow the instructions so you can get everything, including Vjoy. Then make a shortcut for it on your desktop (Note in case you didn't realize what file, it's ScpPad2Key.exe; that's what the shortcut should be to) and remember to load it every time/start it every time you load FFXI. (Once you got the thing up it should be pretty obvious what to do) Voila, the triggers work. The right stick might have its axis's reversed though, but you can fix that in FFXIconfig.

This is the best way I've found however to get the L2/R2 buttons to just work, and I'm sure this'll work with other legacy games. ^^
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-12-24 09:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll give it a whirl on a few different OSs later to make sure it works on several.

While I use 7x64, I know a lot of people are on 8+, and usually aren't able to "upgrade" :P
 Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2014-12-24 16:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Jet, I'm also on Windows 7, so that's the only op system I know this works on.

Knowing if this works on 8+ would be good to know; thank that guy if it does!

Also VERY minor issue; if you're using a dual shock 3, you'll find the rumble will be disabled with this method, but that's a MINOR thing. Vjoy doesn't support rumble yet. It does not bother me overmuch here b/c simply speaking, I haven't had a controller that the vibrate/rumble feature DIDN'T crash my pc in years so I've gotten out of the habit of having it. So yeah, minor little issue.