2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Geomancer » drain/aspir low return
drain/aspir low return
By gargurty 2014-08-28 11:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

OK here is my set for drain/aspir:
http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/326017

the only problem im getting is is get very low return on mp when i use it. How can i make it better. Btw the only things missing are the vampiric hands and feet.

What can i do to improve it?
By ikariiiii 2014-08-28 12:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Use an iLVL staff for starters. You're missing out on a ton of magic accuracy which will matter on higher level targets.
 Cerberus.Spirachub
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-08-28 12:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

What ikariiiii said. You are getting very low return on mp probably because you're getting resists. Potency is only good if you aren't getting crazy resists.
By gargurty 2014-08-28 13:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

ok thank you i will try that :)
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-08-28 13:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you could make a dark potency ToM staff. Gives you 35% potency to drain and aspir, and an estimated magic acc +70
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-08-28 13:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Missing aureole in ranged slot for more macc.

Vampiric set is a huge pain to get, and the lack of macc/int sacrificing hand and feet isnt worth it.
Also I wouldnt want to be sitting ontop an ilevel mob casting aspir (using your indi spell) and opening yourself up to getting killed by being essentially naked in 2 gearslots because you wanted just alittle more aspir potency.

I wouldn't use Hirudinea earring unless you pair it with Gwati earring.
[+]
By gargurty 2014-08-28 13:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

all good tips thank you :O starting to add it all in my set
By Chimerawizard 2014-08-28 15:50:45
Link | Quote | Reply

ya, definately swap for an iLVL weapon, Lehbrailg+2 w/ m.acc comes to mind, or if you're not fighting something resistant, the ToM (I) staff will give potency+35%/m.acc+(10?). Its stronger than the increase of diabolos's pole (dark weather: potency+25%).

I'd swap the diabolos's ring for an archon ring for a 5%dmg & m.acc or a sangoma ring for just pure m.acc on all gamedays except maybe darksday if you have the macro space.

As mentioned in the post about the hands/feet set, you may want to skip out on some potency+ for INT/m.acc pieces. even just hagondes hands & some artsieq feet you're looking at a ton of m.acc to make sure your aspir isn't resisted.

Finally, if its darksday or dark weather, use Anrin obi for the day/weather bonus.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [114 days between previous and next post]
By gargurty 2014-12-20 14:47:00
Link | Quote | Reply

just an update, but recently i finished vampiric stuff and yes its hell to get:) But now my aspir/drain set is completed with every item i could get for my geo.
also made me an xsaeta II :) btw do all those dark staffs give 35% potency on drain/aspir?

Next up is thunder staff for my stun set.
 Bahamut.Malothar
Server: Bahamut
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2014-12-20 19:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Grats on the Aspir gear, however those pieces, specially the staff, are really shooting the point of Aspiring in the foot. +Potency is great, love it, but if you get resisted, it was all for naught. Same deal with the Thunder recast staff, you'll be increasing the likelihood of something undesirable (a resist) happening in favor of reducing your recast by less than a second. The trade off is not worth it, even if you could walk up to an NPC and get the gear for free.

For reference for Aspir, here's the calculations for it via BGwiki.

BGwiki said:
These spells steal a target's MP, reducing the MP of the target and restoring MP to the caster. The potency of these spells depend on the caster's Dark Magic skill.

Aspir:
At 300 dark magic skill or below, the maximum potential potency is (Dark Magic Skill/3 + 20)
At 300 dark magic skill or above, the maximum potential potency is (Dark Magic Skill)×0.4
Aspir II:
At 300 dark magic skill or below, the maximum potential potency is 1.5*(Dark Magic Skill/3 + 20)
At 300 dark magic skill or above, the maximum potential potency is (Dark Magic Skill)×0.6

The minimum potential potency of either Aspir spell is 50% of the maximum potential potency, and the actual value drained will randomly fall anywhere between the minimum and maximum when unresisted.

Lets say you've got 400 Dark skill for a nice easily understood number. For Aspir, that'll give you a maximum drain of 160 and a minimum of 80. For Aspir II, you're looking at 240 and 120. The staff is costing you 228~+ MAcc, for the measily "benefit" of between 8 and 24 extra MP drained. The hands and feet might be alright, but you're still giving up upwards of 80+ MAcc (just looking at my own sets, that'd be 73 MAcc and 31 Int) for anywhere from 24 to 72 extra MP absorbed. Resisted Aspirs really destroy the reasoning behind it, you're losing MP for nothing and simply wasting time.

At this point in the game with ilvl stats vastly effecting your MAcc, defensive means, stats as whole, etc, you really gotta watch out for what's worth the trade off when dealing with non-ilvl gear.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-12-20 19:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

For what it's worth, Apamajas II is sufficent (and personally recommended) for Delve1 stunning. For the little Delve2 stunning there is and Incursion, yeah, you'll def want an iLv staff.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2014-12-20 20:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The MACC part is a big point as others have mentioned. Additionally you lose out on HASTE using the Vampiric set. Faster recast can mean more MP drained, too.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-12-20 23:14:09
Link | Quote | Reply

gargurty said: »
just an update, but recently i finished vampiric stuff and yes its hell to get:) But now my aspir/drain set is completed with every item i could get for my geo.
also made me an xsaeta II :) btw do all those dark staffs give 35% potency on drain/aspir?

Next up is thunder staff for my stun set.

No, only the Staves that give Affinity +6 give potency +35.
[+]
By gargurty 2014-12-21 03:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

do you mean affinity in dam or affinity in macc cos they both give +6 in affinity.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-12-21 06:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

gargurty said: »
do you mean affinity in dam or affinity in macc cos they both give +6 in affinity.

The damage staves give affinity damage +6, which is equal to potency +35%, as well as affinity magic Acc +1, which is an unknown value.
The magic Acc staves give affinity damage +1, which is potency +10%, as well as affinity magic acc +6, which I had read someone was speculated to be magic acc+70. But, this is merely speculatory until SE gives us some form of magic acc value in our /checkparam.
By gargurty 2014-12-21 08:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

mmm ok thanks for the info :) ill switch back to my lehbraigh :)
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-12-21 15:46:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It also depends on the mob. With base skill, plus a good set, you can still use Vampiric Set, Striga/Appetence Crown and ToM staff on fodder mobs, delve normal mobs, etc etc. once you start getting into NMs and bosses, that when you will want to switch over.