Gov. Rick Perry Indicted On Felony Charges

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Gov. Rick Perry indicted on felony charges
Gov. Rick Perry indicted on felony charges
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 34 35 36
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-22 10:51:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Again, if someone states that they fly the flag as a symbol of states rights and you discredit that and assume they're racist anyways, YOU'RE the one obsessed with race.

A symbol of separating from the United States to continue a slave driven economy culminating in one of the bloodiest conflicts in our nations history.

Yup, states rights. War of Northern Aggression. We'd have been better off as a Confederacy yada yada.

The flags disgusting. It's like flying a Nazi flag and then talking some ***about nationalism. That flag is Anti-American by default and stands for the opposite of unity - bloody division.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-22 10:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Total anecdote but I love when someone is vehemently "I'm not a racist!" while flying a Confederate flag on their Facebook home page. "It's about states rights!" LOL, no.
To some people, the Confederate flag isn't about racism at all.

Heck, the whole Civil War wasn't about racism in entirety, and it certainly wasn't the largest factor either. Maybe #5 issue, but that is up for debate.

But identifying the Confederate flag solely with racism just shows how little you know about American history.

Thanks, I took the survey course on the Civil War too. #5 issue? Pray tell what #1-4 were about. The Souths economy was leveraged heavily on agriculture.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-22 10:54:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Yet you do still target minorities as a whole as "playing the victim card", even when many of the individuals within that group are victims.
Minorities are not a race, the group of people I refer to contain many races inclusive of white people.

Try again!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-22 10:59:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, if someone states that they fly the flag as a symbol of states rights and you discredit that and assume they're racist anyways, YOU'RE the one obsessed with race.

A symbol of separating from the United States to continue a slave driven economy culminating in one of the bloodiest conflicts in our nations history.

Yup, states rights. War of Northern Aggression. We'd have been better off as a Confederacy yada yada.

The flags disgusting. It's like flying a Nazi flag and then talking some ***about nationalism. That flag is Anti-American by default and stands for the opposite of unity - bloody division.
Right! How could it mean anything BUT racism.

You know the swastika means other things than Nazism too right?
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-08-22 11:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

In hind-sight, I should have put money on a thread about Rick Perry's indictment turning into a discussion about guns and racism.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 11:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you even read what I said about this?

It doesn't matter if it meant something else. Once it was associated with hate, intolerance and, in the case of the swastika, one of the bloodiest, most abhorrent brutalities in human history, the prior meanings sort of lose weight in the modern world.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 11:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet you do still target minorities as a whole as "playing the victim card", even when many of the individuals within that group are victims.
Minorities are not a race, the group of people I refer to contain many races inclusive of white people.

Try again!

So you fall back on the "I hate all poor people equally" as a defense.

Ugh.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-22 11:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
In hind-sight, I should have put money on a thread about Rick Perry's indictment turning into a discussion about guns and racism.

Could it really go any other way? We've got racism, guns, civil war, nazis, income inequality - all we need now is climate change for a straight flush.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-22 11:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Total anecdote but I love when someone is vehemently "I'm not a racist!" while flying a Confederate flag on their Facebook home page. "It's about states rights!" LOL, no.

Heck, the whole Civil War wasn't about racism in entirety, and it certainly wasn't the largest factor either. Maybe #5 issue, but that is up for debate.

But identifying the Confederate flag solely with racism just shows how little you know about American history.

Thanks, I took the survey course on the Civil War too. #5 issue? Pray tell what #1-4 were about. The Souths economy was leveraged heavily on agriculture.
I'm sorry, I should be more clear.

I meant to say that to my understanding, slavery was not the main issue, but a side issue.

But then again, it all depends on who you listen to. If Al Shaprton/Jesse Jackson was teaching a course on Civil War, it's all about slavery and how evil the South was and all that ***.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-22 11:10:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Could it really go any other way? We've got racism, guns, civil war, nazis, income inequality - all we need now is climate change for a straight flush.

Include the British Monarchy controlling global media propaganda and it's a Royal Flush...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-22 11:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So tell me how that has anything to do with flying the Confederate flag which in the context of the USA represented a group of individuals who broke away from this country to continue a slave-based economy of agriculture?

The states rights v. federal overreach comes second to the WHY the South decided to exit stage left from the United States.

Protip: It's because the South depended heavily on slavery and felt encroached upon by a North who had moved away towards a manufacturing economy. The entire war was mainly about slavery and the direction the country was moving.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-08-22 11:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

Include the British Monarchy controlling global media propaganda and it's a Royal Flush...

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-22 11:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Protip: It's because the South depended heavily on slavery and felt encroached upon by a North who had moved away towards a manufacturing economy. The entire war was mainly about slavery and the direction the country was moving.
Slavery as part of farming.

And the entire Southern economy was not based on farming either.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-22 11:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry, I should be more clear.

I meant to say that to my understanding, slavery was not the main issue, but a side issue.

But then again, it all depends on who you listen to. If Al Shaprton/Jesse Jackson was teaching a course on Civil War, it's all about slavery and how evil the South was and all that ***.

Slavery was the MAIN issue, as it pertained to the legality of the federal government to interfere with the right of the states. It was more or less the first example of the supremacy clause. The determination of Lincoln was that basic rights trumped states rights, in that slavery denied the slaves of their basic rights. States didn't like the idea of the government taking away their property and their livelihood. People today use the idea of states rights as a subtext for selectively denying certain groups their basic liberties.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-22 11:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

slavery was not the main issue, but a side issue.

BHAHAHAHAHAHA. A side issue? Really? REALLY????

Quote:

I said nothing about an evil South. What I did say was the southern economy depended heavily on agriculture and that required cheap, slave labor to drive the costs down. Rationalizations for this were abundant and still are to this day. It didn't change the fact that the winds of change were blowing against slavery and with new states coming into the fold, it was old v. new.

People felt their livelihoods were at stake, livelihoods that revolved around a SLAVE economy. When the North encroached upon this (read: they didn't depend on slavery nearly as much) the South decided to secede. A number of key events preceded this and if you want to take it further, the very revolution lay the seeds for the eventuality of the Civil War.

Seriously, what are they teaching students these days.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 11:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Feels like splitting hairs.

But look, here's the bottom line: Rebel flag represents Confederate ideals.

Confederate ideals included slavery as part of their economy.

Ipso facto, slavery was a Confederate ideal.

Therefore, the Rebel flag represents slavery when viewed as a symbol by a passer by who isn't stopping and conversing with the person flying it and having them say, "no, no. I detest slavery, but everything else stands" (which seems highly suspect anyhow).

To be fair, though, most of the people under 30 who fly it aren't doing so because they're racist, it's because to them all it means is some sort of vague southern pride theme and they wanna be rebellious. And it's called the REBEL flag.

Convenient!
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-22 11:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

So when the Union blockaded the Confederacy and destroyed their cotton exports which basically ruined the South I guess that wasn't heavily based on farming?

This is why people can't take conservatives seriously. You don't even have a basic grasp on the Civil War but some of these blowhards are calling for a second round and talking about secession.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-22 11:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

So when the Union blockaded the Confederacy and destroyed their cotton exports which basically ruined the South I guess that wasn't heavily based on farming?

This is why people can't take conservatives seriously. You don't even have a basic grasp on the Civil War but some of these blowhards are calling for a second round and talking about secession.

For a party that bases so much of it's ideals on civil liberties and party loyalism, they spend a lot of time defaming the paramount champion of civil liberties and one of the most famous Republicans in history.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 11:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Man, if you guys are just going to make this about Republican vs. Democrat, it's gonna be no fun at all.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-22 11:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

As we've seen in this thread, it's because the loudest voices don't even know why the Civil War happened. Something even 9 year olds should know. I don't expect people to know about the battles but seriously? Slavery was a side issue?

Keep calling yourselves 'true' Americans while flying a flag that represents slavery and rebellion against America though, the irony isn't lost on me.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-08-22 11:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm. The people who claim to not be racists sure like arguments that are popular with racists.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-22 11:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Man, if you guys are just going to make this about Republican vs. Democrat, it's gonna be no fun at all.

While I agree, partisan BS is generally unhelpful, certain posters routinely use partisan descriptors as demeaning and discrediting insults. It's not unfair to point out blatant hypocrisies.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-22 12:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a Whig member and I find this truthful.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 12:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Progressive Party, represent!

Long live the Bull Moose!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-22 12:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I had you pegged as a member of the Know-Nothings.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-22 12:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I know that I know nothing.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 12:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I know that I know nothing.

Which is actually a pretty enlightened position to take.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-22 12:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I know how to quote dead Philosophers.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-08-22 12:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah I don't get the confederate flag thing. it's the flag of losers and quitters. they may as well fly a french flag.

buncha whiny grit eating surrender monkeys giving up when the going gets hard.

the south will rise again MY ***. you'll sit down there in all that HUMID and like it! You got whipped by a buncha yankee doodle dandies wearing feather boas and high heels YOU SUCK!
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 12:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

yeah I don't get the confederate flag thing. it's the flag of losers and quitters. they may as well fly a french flag.

buncha whiny grit eating surrender monkeys giving up when the going gets hard.

the south will rise again MY ***. you'll sit down there in all that HUMID and like it! You got whipped by a buncha yankee doodle dandies wearing feather boas and high heels YOU SUCK!

[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 34 35 36