Gov. Rick Perry Indicted On Felony Charges

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Gov. Rick Perry indicted on felony charges
Gov. Rick Perry indicted on felony charges
First Page 2 ... 34 35 36
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-08-15 22:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Grand Jury indicts Rick Perry
Quote:
(CNN) -- A grand jury has indicted Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a potential 2016 presidential candidate, saying he abused his power by trying to pressure a district attorney to resign.

The two felony counts against Perry, a Republican, stem from his threat to veto funding for a statewide public integrity unit run by Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg unless she stepped down, the special prosecutor in the case, Michael McCrum, said.

Perry attorney David L. Botsford called the indictment a "political abuse of the court system." He said the action "violated the separation of powers" and "sets a dangerous precedent by allowing a grand jury to punish the exercise of a lawful and constitutional authority afforded to the Texas governor."

CNN affiliate KVUE reported that Perry will have to report to the Travis County Jail in the capital of Austin to be booked, fingerprinted and have his photo made for a mugshot.

Perry can continue to serve as governor while under indictment, KVUE reported. His attorneys could seek to have the charges thrown out, a motion that would delay the case, at the very least.

The grand jury in Travis County indicted the governor on charges of coercion of a public servant and abuse of his official capacity.

I actually didn't believe the headline when I first saw it, but its on every website, even the beloved Fox News. So this is real, its not some doomed publicity stunt *looking at you and your little lawsuit Boehner*
The failed Presidential candidate and pathetic governor of Texas is facing two felony counts of abusing power and coercion. He is going to be arrested, booked, fingerprinted, and a mugshot taken. Can't wait to see that.
Apparently he thought he could use his power to pressure an attorney to resign. I'm not surprised that he would attempt something like that due to his huge ego and lack of intellect, and living in Illinois, used to seeing governors go to jail. He is facing 99 years if convicted.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-15 22:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By volkom 2014-08-15 22:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing will happen
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-15 22:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

I actually didn't believe the headline when I first saw it, but its on every website, even the beloved Fox News. So this is real, its not some doomed publicity stunt *looking at you and your little lawsuit Boehner*
The failed Presidential candidate and pathetic governor of Texas is facing two felony counts of abusing power and coercion. He is going to be arrested, booked, fingerprinted, and a mugshot taken. Can't wait to see that.
Apparently he thought he could use his power to pressure an attorney to resign. I'm not surprised that he would attempt something like that due to his huge ego and lack of intellect, and living in Illinois, used to seeing governors go to jail. He is facing 99 years if convicted.

I never liked the guy, but the 99 years statement is misleading. That's the maximum sentence for one of the charges. The minimum he will face if indicted on both is 7 years, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a way that could be reduced.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-15 22:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »

I never liked the guy, but the 99 years statement is misleading. That's the maximum sentence for one of the charges. The minimum he will face if indicted on both is 7 years, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a way that could be reduced.

Time served and court costs, assuming they can prove anything.

On a side note, it will probably make the 2016 primaries a lot less entertaining.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-15 22:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
On a side note, it will probably make the 2016 primaries a lot less entertaining.

I'm not bothered. I'd rather he not be there.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-08-15 22:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I doubt he would get 99 years lol. I think Blagoyavich here in Illinois got 15. Perry would probably get a similar number.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-15 22:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing I'm bummed about here is that politicians in general aren't taken to court more often. Let's hold them accountable.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-08-15 22:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I doubt his ego allows him to resign.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-15 23:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

A drop in the ocean of corruption. Nothing will change.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-08-15 23:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that texas has some pretty clear laws on abuse of power, since they hated Sam Houston and all when they were writing their constitution. This could be a pretty easy conviction.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-15 23:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

At least Texas has an opportunity to get a better Governor.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-08-15 23:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Rick Perry will now have a city street named after him in Texas.
Because Republican.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-08-15 23:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
True.

/sigh

Did anyone else see the Slate article the article about how Rick Perry was reinventing himself?

“You’re welcome. I’m awesome!” Rick Perry’s rebranding is full of self-delusion
- Slate

For some reason it is off their front page....
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-08-15 23:52:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Somehow, it looks like Obama's become powerful enough to seduce the government into doing what he wants. Perry is his biggest obstacle to winning his third term so he has to go.
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2014-08-16 00:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't the grand jury something that will indict anything including a Ham Sandwich if a prosecutor wants it to?
By Jetackuu 2014-08-16 00:26:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
Isn't the grand jury is something that will indict anything including a Ham Sandwich if a prosecutor wants it to?
No, they have to at least have a case.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-16 00:28:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't the grand jury is something that will indict anything including a Ham Sandwich if a prosecutor wants it to?

Not necessarily, there has to be sufficient evidence to convene the grand jury in the first place. And pressing charges against an elected official isn't something they generally do on a whim.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-08-16 00:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't the grand jury something that will indict anything including a Ham Sandwich if a prosecutor wants it to?
Yes if the prosecutor is good enough.

But good enough to indict a Ham Sandwich is a high bar. I suspect good enough to indict a politician is a far lower bar.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-16 00:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not always true. My ham sandwich has been bribing local judges and lawyers for years.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-08-16 00:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It's true, Ravael's Ham Sammich brings all the politicians to the yard.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-08-16 00:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It would take me 2 seconds to indict a Ham Sandwich with mayo.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-16 02:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

what a waste of ham.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-16 02:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Somehow, it looks like Obama's become powerful enough to seduce the government into doing what he wants. Perry is his biggest obstacle to winning his third term so he has to go.
All hail Obama!
By Jetackuu 2014-08-16 02:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
All hail swine!
ftfy
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-16 02:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
All hail swine!
ftfy
[+]
 Shiva.Afliction
user: Freazer
By Shiva.Afliction 2014-08-16 04:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
All hail swine!
ftfy
Ham indicted! Sentence: who gives a ***.. wait wut?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-08-16 06:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

More evidence that liberals are the truly most vile and disgusting people on the planet. They will do anything to literally destroy political opposition. They celebrate their deaths.

Did you even look at why he wanted this particular DA to resign? What he did was legit.

I don't even understand why Vic cares about politics. His only concern should be who the pizza delivery boy is.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-16 06:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
More evidence that liberals are the truly most vile and disgusting people on the planet. They will do anything to literally destroy political opposition. They celebrate their deaths.

Did you even look at why he wanted this particular DA to resign? What he did was legit.

I don't even understand why Vic cares about politics. His only concern should be who the pizza delivery boy is.

I think he was damned by his own words more than anything right? He said he was intentionally vetoing crap to coerce the DA to resign... Had he just Vetoed and said nothing.... Plausible Diniability is your best friend in politics I suppose.

I don't really know anything about Rick Perry himself, but I haven't seen a politician that wasn't a crooked *** so it's real hard to dig up sympathy.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-08-16 06:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is the DA completely wrecked after being being picked up for a DUI and trying to use her position to get out of hit then throwing a fit.

Here she is being carted off to jail where she spent the next 45 days.
The top prosecutor needs to step down in this situation. You know this.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 34 35 36