Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Waff
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-08-09 16:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Beware of pickup parties.
By WhiteLighter 2014-08-09 17:04:17
Link | Quote | Reply

lol so true. but meh. i normaly see like 3x DD/nin whm brd and 6th can be any support role.
By tarupowa 2014-08-09 17:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

on difficult i consistantly win with atleast 1 mnk/nin, 2DD(can be same as mnk) whm brd and cor. the cor could be a 4th DD on normal though
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-09 17:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cleared D with MNK/WAR x2, THF, WHM, BRD, COR. BRD ate it very early on and songs started wearing about midway through 2nd form, but it was a sub 10 minute clear. I doubt /NIN is necessary for consistent wins on D.
By cervelo84 2014-08-09 17:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

VD 3xmnk brd whm blm

Also did it with mnkx2 and sam, make SC's fun stuff

/checkparam acc for mnk was 920 pre food and buffs ( 85% hit rate)
 Odin.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-08-09 17:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Prob not very helpful, but with enough buffs a single MNK/WAR can kill it on D in about 7 mins. We didn't feel like farming merits on mules, so we just did a few buffs outside (2 sets of songs, 1 set of rolls) and went in with just 1 WHM 1 MNK and it was pretty simple, so I'd imagine a party of 3 DDs handling it pretty effortlessly even on VD.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Sieha1 2014-08-09 19:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Prob not very helpful, but with enough buffs a single MNK/WAR can kill it on D in about 7 mins. We didn't feel like farming merits on mules, so we just did a few buffs outside (2 sets of songs, 1 set of rolls) and went in with just 1 WHM 1 MNK and it was pretty simple, so I'd imagine a party of 3 DDs handling it pretty effortlessly even on VD.

buffs aside I doubt that mnk was using oats with a mix of skirmish nq, af reforged 109, and a but of spark gear.

useful info: yes mnks are great for this with formless strike. I have also done it with 1 mnk and another less than helpful dd and 2 sch's.

The whm has to be on its game to keep the debuffs off and curaga.
 Odin.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-08-09 19:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Standard stuff that most MNKs have, actually. Only Tinhaspa, too.
 Bismarck.Unagi
Server: Bismarck
user: Unagi
By Bismarck.Unagi 2014-08-09 19:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Nikia said: »
When I did mine on Difficult setup was
BRD
WHM
RUN/NIN
MNK/NIN
MNK/NIN
THF/NIN

RUN is very nice for second form, the dark resist makes it a breeze.

Second form everyone stands in range and let WHM curaga everyone.
This , also side note
- a pompous Galka XD
 Asura.Echandra
Server: Asura
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2014-08-09 19:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

normally our line up for D/VD is....

mnk/nin
thf/nin
run/nin
whm
brd
cor

Monk's formless and Run's enchantment /swipe/lunge pretty much mow through first phase. /nin keeps DD alive from TP moves. (In VD he normally will spam Gigas which is the only threatening kill everyone move imo) Fight him at the top of the throne so there is a 'safe area' at the entrance if people do something silly or die from doom. 2nd form is a joke with a run, should have valiance fast cast merited to buff spellcasters and give resistance, everyone gathers to soak up AoE, mages just focus on curaga and DD just pound him.

and...pick up groups are dangerous.
By WhiteLighter 2014-08-09 20:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yah i know unagi =D see humor is humor lol
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2014-08-10 06:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Echandra said: »
normally our line up for D/VD is....

mnk/nin
thf/nin
run/nin
whm
brd
cor

Monk's formless and Run's enchantment /swipe/lunge pretty much mow through first phase. /nin keeps DD alive from TP moves. (In VD he normally will spam Gigas which is the only threatening kill everyone move imo) Fight him at the top of the throne so there is a 'safe area' at the entrance if people do something silly or die from doom. 2nd form is a joke with a run, should have valiance fast cast merited to buff spellcasters and give resistance, everyone gathers to soak up AoE, mages just focus on curaga and DD just pound him.

and...pick up groups are dangerous.

What rune enchantments did the Rune Fencer use for this fight? I assume the THF was there for SATA and Treasure Hunter?
 Asura.Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2014-08-10 10:11:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Protectorchrono said: »

What rune enchantments did the Rune Fencer use for this fight? I assume the THF was there for SATA and Treasure Hunter?

The fight is pretty much basic rune fencer 101. I use Lux. Aside from flare II/Firaja everything is darkness based as far as I can tell...between Lux/Foil/Shadows nothing should ever be an issue. On the second form, I will normally start with one for all, which will usually eat an attack, time Liement to absorb another for the whole party (Ergon perks yeeeah), then Valiance for the fast-cast and damage reduction.

As for the thief, they are there for the DPS of course. The extra damage that the thief contributes is the turning factor in winning or losing the fight....oh wait. As far as I am concerned the thief is there for TH, and to blame at the end when we get horri-bad drops. SATA...I'm sure they did it at some point in the fight?
By WhiteLighter 2014-08-11 14:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the help Its working ^^
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2014-08-11 14:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Echandra said: »
Bahamut.Protectorchrono said: »

The fight is pretty much basic rune fencer 101. I use Lux. Aside from flare II/Firaja everything is darkness based as far as I can tell...between Lux/Foil/Shadows nothing should ever be an issue. On the second form, I will normally start with one for all, which will usually eat an attack, time Liement to absorb another for the whole party (Ergon perks yeeeah), then Valiance for the fast-cast and damage reduction.

As for the thief, they are there for the DPS of course. The extra damage that the thief contributes is the turning factor in winning or losing the fight....oh wait. As far as I am concerned the thief is there for TH, and to blame at the end when we get horri-bad drops. SATA...I'm sure they did it at some point in the fight?

I hope I didn't offend you with the THF role question. :( Anyway, thanks for the tips Echa. :)
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-08-11 15:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

idk though, those last two sentences are pretty accurate. my group capped drops on it in a two days of a single 2-3 hour rotation of bcx2-3 exp bcx2 each day,though only 3-4 were shadow lord bc, with mnk/ninx3 whm brd cor. i mean its fast and easy, so much so that id recommend that setup and doing it just like that. with setups with less dps potential you have the chance for people to leave during something like that. i mean, once you cap drops you never need to do it agian.
 Asura.Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2014-08-11 17:08:10
Link | Quote | Reply

nah it's fine, I was just being silly b/c everything in the world's best answer is throw monks at it. I am lucky enough to have a solid group, who won't ditch out on people for drops, while others have to pick and choose random folks.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-08-11 21:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Trio it a lot on Difficult as WHM BRD BLU, can be any DD really. I go /nin on BLU and its pretty easy with decent brd buffs. Second phase just have your WHM and BRD just 5' away from SL so the one move doesn't hit them (which is absorbed by shadow, nothing strips them on 2nd phase.) and spam curaga3/4.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [83 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Vinedrius
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2014-11-02 12:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I have just tried difficult with 2 mnk/nin thf/nin cor brd whm. One of the mnks died near the end of 1st form, then 2nd form people felt like pulling it upstairs again and seperated, took unnecessary damage, then it was chaos and wiped at 15% >< I guess we should have just hold it while the mnk unweak. First form took longer than I thought too.

I want to try out 2 mnk/run thf/run sch/rdm brd whm. Sch would aoe regen v, phalanx etc. It isnt so easy to find DDs with -dt sets too so /run would save me some headache. Sounds like a good strat?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-11-02 12:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

you don't need a DT set, all you need is whm af3 legs

everyone within 10' of whm, anyone who shouldn't have hate over 5' from anyone who should, spam curaga.. even on VD it's pretty trivial to cure form2

if you take out form1 without any deaths you've won, if you really have trouble just take your time and be careful on form1
 Asura.Vinedrius
By Asura.Vinedrius 2014-11-02 12:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
you don't need a DT set, all you need is whm af3 legs

everyone within 10' of whm, anyone who shouldn't have hate over 5' from anyone who should, spam curaga.. even on VD it's pretty trivial to cure form2

if you take out form1 without any deaths you've won, if you really have trouble just take your time and be careful on form1

Yeah we could have probably won if people just had stayed together even with the mnk dead at start. Some pulled it up, one stayed below to raise the mnk and they took aoe, then it was too late to gather together again. Basically, panic got us.
 Asura.Highwynn
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-11-02 13:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU is vastly superior to MNK for this fight. Barrier Tusk is a -15% DT that lasts for 3min, can sub RUN for Lux. Lunges/Swipes do 2-3k with a good MAB set on BLU. Subduction/Retinal Glare/Requiescat during magic phase, physical spells for physical phase. Also Sudden Lunge procs pretty well on D, and can stun lock him on Normal.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2014-11-02 15:21:43
Link | Quote | Reply

but MNK does more damage than BLU, so MNK is actually superior
neat tricks don't make something better when you don't actually need them
[+]
 Asura.Vinedrius
By Asura.Vinedrius 2014-11-03 12:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

This makes me die a little bit inside every time I read:

Quote:

When I tried, he was tearing through even with mnks with /nin in first phase. They were also well geared and had dt sets too. Yet they still struggled with acc food, 2 march, minuet, hunter's, chaos.

When you read that someone killed it on mnk/war in 7 mins, even if with outside buffs, you would expect and effortless win with a full pt. Either shadow lord was on steroids against us, or... I don't know -_-
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-11-03 12:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

accuracy is a huge factor in new bcs, if you're missing then your gear needs work.. i usually use a set like this for MNK vs VDs

ItemSet 330377
(qaaxo/tinhaspa path B)

you could squeeze out a bit more dps by measuring your accuracy and removing pieces accordingly, but it's been sufficient to easily win any of the VD i've used it on and has quite a bit of DT to ease your healers' job

also keep in mind 2 sets of songs means he most likely had 8 songs, which means instead of 1 minuet he's getting 3-4 minuets AND both mads and able to TP in a less accuracy-based set