Ebola Patient Coming To U.S.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
First Page 2 ... 42 43 44
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-08-01 09:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Reuters.com said:
A U.S. aid worker who was infected with the deadly Ebola virus while working in West Africa will be flown to the United States to be treated in a high-security ward at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, hospital officials said on Thursday.

The aid worker, whose name has not been released, will be moved in the next several days to a special isolation unit at Emory. The unit was set up in collaboration with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

CDC spokeswoman Barbara Reynolds said her agency was working with the U.S. State Department to facilitate the transfer.

Reynolds said the CDC was not aware of any Ebola patient ever being treated in the United States, but five people in the past decade have entered the country with either Lassa Fever or Marburg Fever, hemorrhagic fevers similar to Ebola.

News of the transfer follows reports of the declining health of two infected U.S. aid workers, Dr. Kent Brantly and missionary Nancy Writebol, who contracted Ebola while working in Liberia on behalf of North Carolina-based Christian relief groups Samaritan's Purse and SIM.

CNN and ABC News reported that a second American infected with Ebola was to be flown to the United States. CNN identified the U.S.-bound patients as Brantly and Writebol. Reuters could not independently confirm the reports.

Amber Brantly, the wife of Dr. Brantly, said in a statement: "I remain hopeful and believing that Kent will be healed from this dreadful disease."

Earlier on Thursday, White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the State Department was working with the CDC on medical evacuations of infected American humanitarian aid workers.

The outbreak in West Africa is the worst in history, having killed more than 700 people since February. On Thursday, the CDC issued a travel advisory urging people to avoid all non-essential travel to Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the epicenter of the outbreak.

Brantly and Writebol "were in stable but grave" condition as of early Thursday morning, the relief organizations said. A spokeswoman for the groups could not confirm whether the patient being transferred to Emory was one of their aid workers.

CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden said in a conference call that transferring gravely ill patients has the potential to do more harm than good.

Meanwhile, the National Institutes of Health plans in mid-September to begin testing an experimental Ebola vaccine on people after seeing encouraging results in pre-clinical trials on monkeys, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the NIH's allergy and infectious diseases unit, said in an email.

In its final stages, Ebola causes external and internal bleeding, vomiting and diarrhea. About 60 percent of people infected in the current outbreak are dying from the illness.

Writebol, 59, received an experimental drug doctors hope will improve her health, SIM said. Brantly, 33, received a unit of blood from a 14-year-old boy who survived Ebola with the help of Brantly's medical care, said Franklin Graham, president of Samaritan's Purse.

Frieden could not comment on the specifics of either treatment but said: "We have reviewed the evidence of the treatments out there and don't find any treatment that has proven effectiveness against Ebola."

Source

Not really sure how I feel about this.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-01 09:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You are safe, since you are in Australia New Zealand.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-01 09:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

PANIC PANIC PANIC EBOLA PANIC DISEASE PANIC RABBLE RABBLE OUTBREAK SARS AIDS BIRD FLU PANIC
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-08-01 09:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
PANIC PANIC PANIC EBOLA PANIC DISEASE PANIC RABBLE RABBLE OUTBREAK SARS AIDS BIRD FLU PANIC
Forgetting the "DEY TURK URR JERBS!
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-08-01 09:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the kind of thing that would actually scare me. Cause there isn't much you can do if a pandemic strikes.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-01 10:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
This is the kind of thing that would actually scare me. Cause there isn't much you can do if a pandemic strikes.
Sure there is.

1) Die and become a Zombie
2) Survive and fight the Zombie Apocalypse
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-08-01 10:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Sure there is.

1) Die and become a Zombie
2) Survive and fight the Zombie Apocalypse
Or, make a horrible movie and call it Zombieland.
[+]
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-08-01 10:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

this isn't some makeshift medical tent in Africa, this is a high security hospital, everything will be fine.

and everyone always so concerned about Diseases and Zombies and the like and everyone is missing the real threat, Robot Uprisings.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-01 10:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Stay on FFXIAH it is safe here...
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-01 10:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Stay on FFXIAH it is safe here...
As safe as a loony bin can get.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-01 10:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Gib said: »
this isn't some makeshift medical tent in Africa, this is a high security hospital, everything will be fine.

and everyone always so concerned about Diseases and Zombies and the like and everyone is missing the real threat, Robot Uprisings.

You're all wrong.

Coal Seam Fires

They're the real threat.
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-08-01 10:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

You're all wrong.

Coal Seam Fires

They're the real threat.
What about Robot zombies coming out of coal seam fires? my god have mercy on our souls.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-08-01 10:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I am from New Zealand, yes - but I live in South Carolina, which puts me a little closer to Atlanta than I'd like to be.

Normally I wouldn't be as concerned, but given the recent lapses in CDC controls that allowed Anthrax to escape a "secure" environment, and the arrogance they've displayed in engineering a strain of flu that can completely bypass the human immune system, my confidence in their ability to contain anything is just a tad shaken.

And don't be mean to Australia - it used to be New Zealand's hat before it swam away.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-08-01 10:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Not really sure how I feel about this.

we're all gonna die fella. if it isn't ebola, you'll get hit by the number 2 train, or get lung cancer when you never smoked.

suck it up.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-01 10:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

You're all wrong.

Coal Seam Fires

They're the real threat.
What about Robot zombies coming out of coal seam fires? my god have mercy on our souls.

Now you're just being ridiculous.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-01 10:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Normally I wouldn't be as concerned, but given the recent lapses in CDC controls that allowed Anthrax to escape a "secure" environment, and the arrogance they've displayed in engineering a strain of flu that can completely bypass the human immune system, my confidence in their ability to contain anything is just a tad shaken.
But but but, it's the government we are talking about!

The very same government that would control our lives because we are all too stupid to live for ourselves, even though we have been doing a good job for the past 200+ years without governmental control....
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-01 10:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I would be concerned, Ebola has an incubation rate in which one does not show symptoms but is contagious. The misnomer in this title is that the 1st Ebola patient is probably already here, we'll know in about a week, but by then we'll be in over our head.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-01 10:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

State-sponsored population control?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-01 10:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

Resulting from the obamacare death panels...
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-01 10:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I am from New Zealand, yes - but I live in South Carolina, which puts me a little closer to Atlanta than I'd like to be.

And don't be mean to Australia - it used to be New Zealand's hat before it swam away.

The bigger concern to me is the thought of some enterprising terrorist considering the recent security issue with the CDC, and knowing the public's almost irrational fear of these outbreaks, and he puts two and two together and finds it might be a good recipe to cause some trouble.

The public reaction would be one of near-panic and the repercussions would be hell to deal with on so many levels. And that's before it even gets to the point of the Bipartisan *** that is our government getting around to trying to blame each other for the problem instead of doing anything about it.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-01 10:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I would be concerned, Ebola has an incubation rate in which one does not show symptoms but is contagious. The misnomer in this title is that the 1st Ebola patient is probably already here, we'll know in about a week, but by then we'll be in over our head.

I've spent the week in agreement with you on a foreign policy thread and I forgot how much of a fearmonger you try to be sometimes. -.-
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-01 10:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd prefer it come from state-sponsored birthrate limits.

It would solve so many problems.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-01 10:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd endorsing the birthrate policies of China, and I'm the fearmonger? Jesus bro didn't you ever see "Outbreak"?

....and create so many more!
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-01 10:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd endorsing the birthrate policies of China, and I'm the fearmonger? Jesus bro didn't you ever see "Outbreak"?

....and create so many more!

Why am I the fearmonger for wanting to curb birthrates?

It's absolutely one of the most fiscally responsible things that could be done for this country. The one child policy is one of the few things China has got right over the years.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-01 10:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Or, hell. Let Ebola run rampant through the South. I hate seeing anyone suffer, but at least it's just the Bible belt.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-08-01 11:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The one child policy is one of the few things China has got right over the years.

no. just no.

ask all the little chinese baby girls how that ***'s going.

good god.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-08-01 11:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Or, hell. Let Ebola run rampant through the South. I hate seeing anyone suffer, but at least it's just the Bible belt.

How about someone contaminate the Wawas of Pennsylvania. >:

What do you consider "Bible Belt"? Spare us within Chisholm Trail rules, please and thank you.
[+]
By Hinamori 2014-08-01 11:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

So long as Asimov's three rules of robotics are put into the programming of any kind of artificial intelligence, they cannot bring harm to a human, and thus cannot directly (shooting/electrocuting/etc) harm a human, and indirectly (Changing the programming to remove that protocol from another robot, whom will run rampant as that'll be infringing on the rules set by Asimov) harming a human.

But then again, they really didn't put that into the automated gun towers in the stretch of land between north and south korea.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-08-01 11:19:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ebola has been here for a while already being used for research purposes. No need to ***blood* over this just because the 24-hour news cycle suggested you should be.

*ebola joke
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-01 11:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
The one child policy is one of the few things China has got right over the years.

no. just no.

ask all the little chinese baby girls how that ***'s going.

good god.

Has nothing to do with the policy.

Has to do with a culture that places far too much value on having a penis.
First Page 2 ... 42 43 44