The NSA Spying Is Bad For Busness

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » The NSA spying is bad for busness
The NSA spying is bad for busness
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-07-30 10:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Personal Privacy Is Only One of the Costs of NSA Surveillance - Wired

Quote:
“Too often, we have discussed the National Security Agency’s surveillance programs through the distorting lens of a simplistic ‘security versus privacy’ narrative,” said Danielle Kehl, policy analyst at the Open Technology Institute and primary author of the report. “But if you look closer, the more accurate story is that in the name of security, we’re trading away not only privacy, but also the U.S. tech economy, internet openness, America’s foreign policy interests and cybersecurity.”....

The Foundation’s report, released today, outlines some of the collateral damage of NSA surveillance in several areas, including:

Economic losses to US businesses due to lost sales and declining customer trust.
The deterioration of internet security as a result of the NSA stockpiling zero-day vulnerabilities, undermining encryption and installing backdoors in software and hardware products.
Undermining the government’s credibility and leadership on “internet freedom” and governance issues such as censorship....
And LOTS more.

A good read.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-30 10:35:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, it wasn't obvious to you?

Didn't I say the same thing a while back ago? When this whole Edward Snowden deal first started?
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-30 10:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh. "Censorship". The word alone makes my blood boil.

The FCC is bad for business by its very existance. At least the NSA has to try to do something to be problematic.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-07-30 15:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Wait, it wasn't obvious to you?
No. I was having too much fun with the political dust up to think about economic consequences.

But it was blatantly obvious that once the world learned that the NSA was forcing computer companies to install back doors that the world would shy away from American made hardware and software.
By Hinamori 2014-07-30 15:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The NSA is nothing but a bunch of fools if you ask me. They're going to ruin the citizen-politician relationship (or what's left of it) because congress won't listen to us when we tell them to get rid of the NSA.
By Jetackuu 2014-07-30 15:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

The FCC is bad for business by its very existance. At least the NSA has to try to do something to be problematic.

I disagree, but that's because of some of the functions of the FCC, which are quite expansive really.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-30 15:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

I disagree, but that's because of some of the functions of the FCC, which are quite expansive really.
Can you explain which functions of the FCC is not bad for business please?
By Jetackuu 2014-07-30 16:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah, I forgot that we're dealing with the "all regulation is bad" crowd, my bad...

Are you familiar with rule 15?
By volkom 2014-07-30 16:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of regulations are good, especially when it comes to meeting certain security requirements on different products. However some regulation are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. like :

Quote:
A fire extinguisher weighing less than 40 pounds, like the extinguishers found in your home, should be hung so that the top is not more than five feet above the ground, but no lower than four inches above the floor.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-30 16:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah, I forgot that we're dealing with the "all regulation is bad" crowd, my bad...

You will have to refresh my memory, as I know a lot of rule #15s.
By Jetackuu 2014-07-30 16:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

FCC rule 15...

It's on just about every piece of electronics...

There's a lot of good regulations they make, and I'm sure a lot of bad ones as well. I'm not going to sit here and list them all.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-30 16:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

FCC rule 15...

It's on just about every piece of electronics...

There's a lot of good regulations they make, and I'm sure a lot of bad ones as well. I'm not going to sit here and list them all.
I'm not going to disagree with you there.

Regulations that enhance the safety of use and simplify regional differences and consolidate these differences into one uniform code is not the issue when we are talking about regulations.

Regulations that inhibit businesses just because and regulations for the sake of regulations are the ones that are generally disliked.

I thought that would be obvious to you, but I guess not.
By Jetackuu 2014-07-30 16:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

But the bureaucracy man!
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-07-30 16:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you know of rule 34 ?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-07-30 16:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
Do you know of rule 34 ?
does anyone not?
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2014-07-30 16:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
Do you know of rule 34 ?

Clearly Rule 34, combined with NSFW, is quite bad for business. ;_;
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-30 16:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

But the bureaucracy man!
You know what's funny?

Very recently, I asked a co-worker from NYC about toll roads. I asked her "Why are there toll roads in NY? Was it to maintain the roads or help build new ones?" She said "Toll roads only exist to pay for the toll workers."

By Jetackuu 2014-07-30 16:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

/sigh
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-30 16:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If it is true, then what is the point of toll roads when gas taxes are for the exact same reason?

And don't tell me all states do not have a gas tax, they all do...
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-07-30 16:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you explain which functions of the FCC is not bad for business please?
Regulating emissions, interference, and spectrum allocation.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2014-07-30 16:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If it is true, then what is the point of toll roads when gas taxes are for the exact same reason?

And don't tell me all states do not have a gas tax, they all do...
most toll bridges are to fund the maintenance of the bridges and roads that the toll leads to. What happened here (in New Orleans) with The Crescent City Connection(edited cause its not called the CCB...derp)/toll system was the bridge was payed off and they started using the funds for the ferries and other projects that the funds were NOT appropriated for under the agreement that the tolls were set up under (and we won The Super Bowl, which there's now a third party paying for the upkeep of the bridge because of that so a toll for upkeep isnt needed).

Essentially, what tolls BECOME used for are entirely different than what they ARE SUPPOSED to or SHOULD be used for.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-30 16:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »
Essentially, what tolls BECOME used for are entirely different than what they ARE SUPPOSED to or SHOULD be used for.
Why keep them tolled after they finish doing what they were intended to do then?
By Enuyasha 2014-07-30 16:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Why keep them tolled after they finish doing what they were intended to do then?
We recently got rid of the tolls on the bridge, but lots of cities still have bridges and roads tolled to funnel money from the tolls elsewhere.

Thats the sort of thing corruption does in concerns to things the people voted to have and then didnt keep an eye on later.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-07-30 16:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I would like to say that it is in a society which glorifies getting as much as possible while providing as little as possible, but that might be both too deep and snarky.

Freely giving up a source of revenue is something most people/organizations are loathe to do, unless forced. And apparantly there is not enough political will to force it.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-07-30 17:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Always work as a team.?
By Jetackuu 2014-07-30 17:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

no
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-07-30 18:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Rule 15
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-07-30 21:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Hinamori said: »
The NSA is nothing but a bunch of fools if you ask me. They're going to ruin the citizen-politician relationship (or what's left of it) because congress won't listen to us when we tell them to get rid of the NSA.
They don't listen to us about anything.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-07-30 22:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lets band together and watch them!

Oh wait, that's illegal.

So why do they... nvm.