More Korea threats thread
First Page 2 3
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-28 12:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Since we don't have a "catch-all" North Korea thread and multiple necro threads....

Why not just make one so we don't have to make a thread every time North Korea pitches their latest fit.

North Korea threatens to blow up the White House with a nuke, and nobody cares

Quote:
A top-ranking North Korean military official has threatened a nuclear strike on the White House and Pentagon after accusing Washington of raising military tensions on the Korean peninsula.

The threat came from Hwang Pyong-So, director of the military's General Political Bureau, during a speech to a large military rally in Pyongyang Sunday on the anniversary of the armistice that ended the 1950-53 Korean War.

Hwang, who holds the rank of vice marshal in the Korean People's Army, said a recent series of South Korea-US military drills, one of which included the deployment of a nuclear-powered US aircraft carrier, had ramped up tensions.

"If the US imperialists threaten our sovereignty and survival... our troops will fire our nuclear-armed rockets at the White House and the Pentagon -- the sources of all evil," Hwang said in his speech broadcast Monday on state television.

It is not the first time that North Korea's bellicose rhetoric has included threats of nuclear strikes on the continental United States and US bases in the Pacific.

But most experts believe it is still a long way from developing a viable intercontinental ballistic missile with the required range.

The North has conducted three nuclear tests, but is not thought to have mastered the miniaturisation techniques necessary for mounting a warhead on a missile.

It does possess a range of short-and mid-range missiles capable of striking South Korea and Japan, and has conducted a series of test firings into the Sea of Japan (East Sea) in recent weeks.

The latest test on Saturday -- guided by the leader Kim Jong-Un -- simulated a short-range missile strike on South Korea where 28,500 US troops are stationed, the North's state media said.

It defied censure by the UN Security Council which officially condemned Pyongyang on July 17 over the recent tests as violations of UN resolutions prohibiting the North from using ballistic missile technology.

(this source is from MSN.com, so please pardon the obvious spelling and grammar errors. Their reporters are not from the cream of the crop.)
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-07-28 12:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Why not just make one so we don't have to make a thread every time North Korea pitches their latest fit

why not just ignore their pointless saber-rattling?

(this source is from MSN.com, so please pardon the obvious spelling and grammar errors. Their reporters are not from the cream of the crop.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this.

their copy editor must be high as a kite.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-28 12:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Poor fish.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-07-28 12:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Since we don't have a "catch-all" North Korea thread and multiple necro threads....

Why not just make one so we don't have to make a thread every time North Korea pitches their latest fit.

North Korea threatens to blow up the White House with a nuke, and nobody cares

Quote:
A top-ranking North Korean military official has threatened a nuclear strike on the White House and Pentagon after accusing Washington of raising military tensions on the Korean peninsula.

The threat came from Hwang Pyong-So, director of the military's General Political Bureau, during a speech to a large military rally in Pyongyang Sunday on the anniversary of the armistice that ended the 1950-53 Korean War.

Hwang, who holds the rank of vice marshal in the Korean People's Army, said a recent series of South Korea-US military drills, one of which included the deployment of a nuclear-powered US aircraft carrier, had ramped up tensions.

"If the US imperialists threaten our sovereignty and survival... our troops will fire our nuclear-armed rockets at the White House and the Pentagon -- the sources of all evil," Hwang said in his speech broadcast Monday on state television.

It is not the first time that North Korea's bellicose rhetoric has included threats of nuclear strikes on the continental United States and US bases in the Pacific.

But most experts believe it is still a long way from developing a viable intercontinental ballistic missile with the required range.

The North has conducted three nuclear tests, but is not thought to have mastered the miniaturisation techniques necessary for mounting a warhead on a missile.

It does possess a range of short-and mid-range missiles capable of striking South Korea and Japan, and has conducted a series of test firings into the Sea of Japan (East Sea) in recent weeks.

The latest test on Saturday -- guided by the leader Kim Jong-Un -- simulated a short-range missile strike on South Korea where 28,500 US troops are stationed, the North's state media said.

It defied censure by the UN Security Council which officially condemned Pyongyang on July 17 over the recent tests as violations of UN resolutions prohibiting the North from using ballistic missile technology.

I blame the editors for letting it slide.

A lot of stuff gets jumbled up using cliff notes and shorthand, at which point the editing staff is supposed to look it over for grammatical errors, spelling, sources, objectivity, etc.

At least that's journalism in theory.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-28 12:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
Why not just make one so we don't have to make a thread every time North Korea pitches their latest fit

Because it's hilarious?

They have a copy editor? I have yet to see proof of that!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-28 12:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
I blame the editors for letting it slide.

A lot of stuff gets jumbled up using cliff notes and shorthand, at which point the editing staff is supposed to look it over for grammatical errors, spelling, sources, objectivity, etc.

At least that's journalism in theory.
I would agree with you, but MSN has had a track record in these things.

Let me see if I can find the greatest article to ever come from MSN of all time....
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-07-28 12:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Which is why I said "in theory".

I already know MSN has one of the poorest track records for journalism in general. Almost on par with FOX news.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-28 12:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it's hilarious?

They have a copy editor? I have yet to see proof of that!

Proofed.

I GET IT.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-28 12:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Which is why I said "in theory".

I already know MSN has one of the poorest track records for journalism in general. Almost on par with FOX news.
FOX has a better editor though.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-07-28 12:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, when it comes to articles, they have a better Grammar Nazi.

They just stopped caring about objectivity, and gave way to political sensationalism and the eccentric over-use of buzzwords to invoke fear into the mentally deficient viewers.

But they showcase the Simpsons.
By fonewear 2014-07-28 12:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

My view on North Korea:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-07-28 12:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Please, not yet another vi vs emacs thread.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-28 13:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

They just stopped caring about objectivity, and gave way to political sensationalism and the eccentric over-use of buzzwords to invoke fear into the mentally deficient viewers.
And MSN doesn't do that?

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Please, not yet another vi vs emacs thread.
A what now?
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-07-28 13:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it's hilarious?

it is funny, but it hardly warrants a discussion.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-28 13:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it's hilarious?

Anything warrants a discussion if you can make it so.

Like: How serious can they be?

Or: How serious can they be if they don't put actions into their words?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-28 13:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it's hilarious?

Anything warrants a discussion if you can make it so.

Like: How serious can they be?

Or: How serious can they be if they don't put actions into their words?

The amount of what can only be called human rights violations going on there alone is really sort of apalling. I'm not clear on how we as a global community come down so hard on so many, yet the Kim family has treated N.K. as their own perverted little playgroud (literally; they're like chubby spoiled children) for over 60 years with little intervention.

You'd think even China and Russia would be against them.
 Asura.Natenn
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2014-07-28 13:23:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If they attacked us the UN would back us, and we would go in there and just wreck their whole country to the point they would no longer be a nation. They might have a huuuuge army based on numbers but remember the movie 300? don't matter how many soldiers you have , these ppl have NO internet, cell phones, social media, and very poor technology bc of their withdraw from the rest of the world. I mean these ppl built a fake town on the boarder that looks amazing but they are empty inside. They are all about show, the town was made because they want ppl to think they are doing good so they defect to the north, and if they did try to nuke us the missles would be shot down well before they came anywhere close to the US.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-28 13:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay here's a serious question: I know who would steamroll NK if it made any action, but does it actually have any allies in the world? Or more specifically, who would even consider backing them up if they went to war?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-28 13:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
China most of all, since that is where most of the refugees would go.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-28 13:32:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
China most of all, since that is where most of the refugees would go.

Not to mention the jealousy factor. If they can't treat people like that on a large scale without getting ***from the rest of the globe, why should NK?
[+]
 Asura.Natenn
By Asura.Natenn 2014-07-28 13:34:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Okay here's a serious question: I know who would steamroll NK if it made any action, but does it actually have any allies in the world? Or more specifically, who would even consider backing them up if they went to war?
China, but i doubt they would if NK nuked anyone or attacked first. The people there are 100% brainwashed into loving their leader like its their own father. even in homes Kim Jung Il picture is all over the place, their is a very good documentry on netflix about NK if your interested.
By Jetackuu 2014-07-28 13:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

China has historically, but now that's been on edge, from what I gather. No official word on that though, just NK calming their *** after China conversations.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-28 13:38:26
Link | Quote | Reply

China would be a shoe in for a N.Korea ally. As for others, who knows?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-28 13:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Natenn said: »
China, but i doubt they would if NK nuked anyone or attacked first. The people there are 100% brainwashed into loving their leader like its their own father. even in homes Kim Jung Il picture is all over the place, their is a very good documentry on netflix about NK if your interested.

Yeah, but it's one of those fearmongering situations. Everyone plays along because no one knows who you can trust or not to speak against the regime. The whole three-generations brutality is a pretty good way to stop people from taking a stand, too. It's one thing to take a stand and risk your own life for a revolution. It's another thing to sacrifice your parents and children, especially in far Eastern societies that traditionally place so much emphasis on reverence of elders and family.
 Asura.Natenn
By Asura.Natenn 2014-07-28 13:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

NK is just trying to raise morale of their ppl bc things are so bad over there. Famine, disease, dirty water, things like tat in alot of the country, if they attacked i highly doubt anyone would back them besides terrorists(lol). And they know this, they also know we dont fk around: our response to 9/11 was going into Iraq pretty much balls out and wrecked al qaida, compare what 9/11 was to what NK nuking the white house/pentagon would be like. not only would we go into NK and dismantle their military & govermont but we would have literally infinite support from the UN and other nations, them nuking us would be the end of their country and they know it, like i said: Its all for show. No one will help NK.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-28 13:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

There's still the issue of N.K. getting away with copious quantities of human rights violations, treating an entire population like human pets, essentially.

It's really *** sad that there's this stalemate that we can't do anything about because even though everyone knows it's a bunch of *** (probably even China), no one is willing or able to stop it...but why? Because we're afraid of what they might do?

Yet we all call them laughable.

Somewhere in there is something more, it seems.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-28 13:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I love North Korea. It's like a 4-year-old that threatens to beat you up. There's something special about a country where a serious threat of nuclear attack can be considered a joke.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-07-28 13:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

And MSN doesn't do that?

They do, FOX is just better at not caring.
By Jetackuu 2014-07-28 13:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

If only they had oil.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-28 13:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I love MSN. It's like a 4-year-old that loves to tell stories. There's something special about a news source where a serious article can be considered a joke.
First Page 2 3