Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Otomi vs Yaoyotl
Otomi vs Yaoyotl
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rahziela
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2014-07-24 16:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Since I have no clue on FFXI math, I wanted to pose this question to the community.

otomi gloves and yaoyotl gloves. Now, even before the addition of WKR augments, I was unsure which was better. Yaoyotl has a bit of an edge with higher MAB and INT, but I am not entirely sure how Magic Damage works into all that.

I'm looking to see if any of the math gurus can give some advice regarding these two pieces. What wins between Magic Damage +10 vs. MAB+2 and INT+3?

I imagine Otomi pulls ahead once it's augmented. For that matter, if Otomi can win with augments, which is better? The INT+8 (giving Otomi +5 over Yaoyotl) or Magic Damage +4?
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-07-24 16:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would you bother with either when you can augment Hagondes for much more?
By Pantafernando 2014-07-24 16:21:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Jackieolivas said: »
Since I have no clue on FFXI math, I wanted to pose this question to the community.

otomi gloves and yaoyotl gloves. Now, even before the addition of WKR augments, I was unsure which was better. Yaoyotl has a bit of an edge with higher MAB and INT, but I am not entirely sure how Magic Damage works into all that.

I'm looking to see if any of the math gurus can give some advice regarding these two pieces. What wins between Magic Damage +10 vs. MAB+2 and INT+3?

I imagine Otomi pulls ahead once it's augmented. For that matter, if Otomi can win with augments, which is better? The INT+8 (giving Otomi +5 over Yaoyotl) or Magic Damage +4?

I believe INT and Magic damage have the same effect in the final damage, but INT depend on DINT, thats it, difference between your and mob INT before being calculated, and at some point, it just cap, so after the cap no INT will contribbute with final damage anymore.

Magic damage I believe is directly added to D in magic equation (Dmg=D*MAB/MDB), so I supose its not affected by caps.

Magic attack bonus simply multiply the final D.

Its not so trivial deciding whats better between factors that multiply themselves. Prob just testing or making a excel. Luckly magic damage is relatively constant so its very easy to see small contribuitions.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-24 16:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Why would you bother with either when you can augment Hagondes for much more?

Because they are both free as are the augments, some people have terribad luck with Hagondes augments or just aren't willing to spend the scratch on a particular job.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-07-24 16:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty depressing that people would opt for gimp gear because they don't want to pay 5k/piece for nq stone, not to mention more MACC and some PDT.
By oldman 2014-07-24 16:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Pretty depressing that people would opt for gimp gear because they don't want to pay 5k/piece for nq stone, not to mention more MACC and some PDT.

It's also the time and frustration of dealing with the randomness of the augment system. A lot of players are pretty busy with other things (like real life) and for them "good enough" is just that.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-07-24 16:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Errr I suppose that was a little mean.

My advice to you OP, do a bunch of skirmish runs, get a bunch of skirmish stones and augment some hagondes hands. Don't settle for second rate gear. You get a decent amount of merits/cp from skirmish runs too, so think of it as multi tasking.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Kingofbastok
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Kingofbastok 2014-07-24 16:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

While I'm not trying to argue that Hagondes aren't better with a great MAB augment, but are Otomi Gloves really that much worse if they have the +8 int augment? Assuming we're only looking at NQ stone augments on NQ Hagondes, Otomi Gloves would have +9 int, +10 magic dmg, and -7 mab (or less) vs Hagondes.

If you used better stones, obviously the mab difference would be much higher (I think up to 14 or 15 difference), but it would likely cost a lot more, too. So if you want to chase the best mab and have the time/gil, than do it, otherwise Otomi seem pretty good with int aug.
 Bismarck.Inference
user: Inference
By Bismarck.Inference 2014-07-24 17:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on content. For what I use, Otomi(8 INT) are better unless Hagondes has +25 MAB on anything Adoulin related. For Raptor parties and the like, you need ~18 or so.

Those are actual bonus augments on the Hagondes, not the difference between Otomi/Hagondes.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-07-24 17:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

No need to try to math it out. Go HERE, and download the BLM or SCH Magic Damage Spreadsheet. On them, you can select the gear you want to compare in a full set, and see how it will affect your magic damage for all spells. Example, for your case, you can select your exact set, and then see what the difference between Otomi vs Yaoyotl.
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2014-07-24 17:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes, I really wish there was a button to flat out nuke a post that doesn't add anything useful to the conversation and/or is just douche-ish in nature... Keep one thing in mind. Not everyone cares about e-peen numbers and not every uses parsers. I'm simply asking which (of the mentioned items) is more effective. Bringing up things outside of that adds nothing to what I am asking about.

Anyhow, the reasoning behind wanting to use one of those two is because after quite a few Skirmish runs and burning 50ish NQs, 15-20 +1's, and like 5 +2's and getting nothing at all usable for BLM, I decided to go with something else. Particularly given that Hagondes Cuffs have pretty much no value to BLM unless augmented. Every time, it was always Pet MAB, Pet Att, Avatar Perp, etc. Would hav ebeen great if I used SMN. Unfortunately, I don't. I got the occasional MAcc, but I have better options for MAcc and am looking for nuking hands.

Blame general frustration with a crappy augmenting system or the fact that I only use BLM to solo reives and scant other content, but thats the way it is. I hate it when people veer off the intended course of a post and insult the person that posted it in the process. And yes, all of that was pointed directly at Ihina.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Waff
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-07-24 17:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

If you use a few stones and don't get the mab augs you want just use the 8 int otomi, because honestly nobody is going to know anyway.
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2014-07-24 17:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
No need to try to math it out. Go HERE, and download the BLM or SCH Magic Damage Spreadsheet. On them, you can select the gear you want to compare in a full set, and see how it will affect your magic damage for all spells. Example, for your case, you can select your exact set, and then see what the difference between Otomi vs Yaoyotl.

Thank you. That was helpful as I had never used anything like that before. I haven't a clue how it all works, but its a step in the right direction.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-07-24 17:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It is an excel spreadsheet. Tab 1 has general info like merits, buffs, race, and mob selection. Sets tab has a 2 item sets that you can use drop boxes to select your gear. Gear tab has all the main current gear listed, with all stats for each piece. This is the tab that the drop boxes gets its information from. You can add new stuff here, and change stuff, like alter MAB augments on Hagondes.