Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Goldsmithing » tear synthesis
tear synthesis
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-07-17 12:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

People want to control what they feel they have no control over, and we all know there are times when you are crafting, go 0/200 on a T1, and feel like you have no control.

There's a famous anthropologist namd E.E. Evans-Pritchard that wrote on the Azande and how they view witchcraft, in that it is essentially a way to control events that they feel they cannot control. The Azande basically built their entire culture around witchcraft in an attempt to control these types of events. I mean heck professional baseball players believe in crazy superstition because they feel they have no real control over their ability to hit the ball/throw the ball. Crafters use the same type of thought process when they attempt to control their synthesis by facing directions.

That being said, we like to believe in empirical evidence when it comes to these things and there is no empirical evidence to support Moon phases, days, or directions.
[+]
 Asura.Ccl
Server: Asura
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-07-17 12:27:48
Link | Quote | Reply

But I have over 200000 synth saved on my old pc that I lost to prove it, isn't that worth something to you ?
 Bismarck.Hsieh
Server: Bismarck
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2014-07-17 12:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ccl said: »
But I have over 200000 synth saved on my old pc that I lost to prove it, isn't that worth something to you ?
Sadly, no.

There are two problems on proving this theory:
1) What is the sufficient sample size needed based on certain conditions/variables to have a significant impact on a given confidence level?
2) If there is one direction that is suspected to be the better HQ rate, why would one go out of the way to disprove it?

Bottom line: If there's lack of evidence to support a claim, then hypothesis remains a theory, not a proof. People will argue all day and chose to believe what they believe is correct. Probably best to get SE give us a straight answer or submit it to Mythbusters.
 Ragnarok.Ozment
Server: Ragnarok
user: ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2014-07-23 18:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to believe that direction mattered, but then I read a transcript from one of the vanafests several years ago. One of the audience members asked that very question to a developer on the panel, and that developer laughed at them. LAUGHED AT THEM. I believe the the answer from the developer was something like "face whatever direction your heart desires" or something to that effect.

I remember looking into this at that time, why people thought that direction affected crafting results, and apparently people came up with this notion when SE showed a map of the constellations. This map was tied to the backstory of the elemental avatars and how they came to be in Vanadiel. Thing is, there was never anything linking that map or backstory to crafting.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [47 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-09-08 19:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Necroing this, I didn't feel like making a new thread.

Leviatears finally sold @350k each.

I still have Titan Shiva Garuda and Carby sadly. Trying to get rid of them... any reasonable offer.
 Ragnarok.Legendarycloud
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Legendarycloud 2014-09-08 20:33:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If you were on Ragnarok server I'd be all over that.