New Battlefields (July Update)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » New Battlefields (July update)
New Battlefields (July update)
 Carbuncle.Kaelthas
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Kaelthas 2014-07-08 13:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Anybody attempted the Shadow Lord or Head Wind battlefields yet? Curious as to what unique gear they drop.
By Pantafernando 2014-07-08 14:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

We have a list of the items implemented in bg, and again seems like most are sidegrades or situational pieces.

http://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/July_2014_Version_Update_Changes
 Lakshmi.Bleu
Server: Lakshmi
user: Bleu
By Lakshmi.Bleu 2014-07-08 14:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

We did Shadow Lord last night. Dropped Dread Jupon, some mats, and chapters.

He has two modes, similar to the old Shadow Lord. First mode alternates physical/magical shield, curses, and has a variety of AOEs. Second mode is constant high damage arena wide AOEs. As WHM, I was casting continuous Curaga iii/iv through this phase, so be prepared for that.
 Leviathan.Fosco
Server: Leviathan
user: Fosco
By Leviathan.Fosco 2014-07-08 14:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Bleu said: »
We did Shadow Lord last night. Dropped Dread Jupon, some mats, and chapters.

He has two modes, similar to the old Shadow Lord. First mode alternates physical/magical shield, curses, and has a variety of AOEs. Second mode is constant high damage arena wide AOEs. As WHM, I was casting continuous Curaga iii/iv through this phase, so be prepared for that.
What level did you guys do?
And where did you heal from (stairs? entrance?), and were you getting hit by the AOEs as well? You say arena-wide so my assumption is yes.
 Bismarck.Inference
Server: Bismarck
user: Inference
By Bismarck.Inference 2014-07-08 15:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

They are arena wide. I was 2boxing Normal mode as SCH + WHM(timed out at 40% in second phase because I didn't come prepared for magic immunity phases in phase 1 so wasted a lot of time) and I pulled to the top of the stairs and left WHM at entrance hoping to rest a little but it didn't work. He uses a move called Energy Drain which is AOE but not arena wide, the arena wide ability is more of just his basic auto attack.

Only casted Fire magic in Phase 1. Was bindable and stunnable, but on Normal at least none of TP moves are devastating enough to be worth stunning, different story on VD I'm sure.
 Leviathan.Krysten
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2014-07-08 15:47:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do they keep making the same battlefield??? why does every battlefield havta be rng rng rng rng

unless your a pld with relic shield or a mage or a rng you have no hope in fighting in any of these.
[+]
 Bismarck.Inference
By Bismarck.Inference 2014-07-08 15:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

RNG isn't ideal for Shadow Lord because you're gonna get hit by his stuff come Phase 2 anyways, melee zerg is probably going to be more efficient. Not familiar enough with Mithra BC to speak for that, though.
 Leviathan.Krysten
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2014-07-08 15:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

i hope not im a DD non-rng and man all i ever see is shouts for sch pld or rng and i cant even be pld cuz i dont have the patience to make one of the shields lol.

there wasnt a rng to be seen anywhere until these battlefields came out now all you see is rng xD least on levi
[+]
 Bahamut.Unafay
Server: Bahamut
user: Unafae
By Bahamut.Unafay 2014-07-08 16:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Got a Trepidity mantle off of Difficult Shadow Lord fight
 Carbuncle.Sambb
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2014-07-08 16:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Krysten said: »
i hope not im a DD non-rng and man all i ever see is shouts for sch pld or rng and i cant even be pld cuz i dont have the patience to make one of the shields lol.

there wasnt a rng to be seen anywhere until these battlefields came out now all you see is rng xD least on levi

Its on every server and its simply because its the safest strategy. A lot of these fights you can actually do with melee but it requires some actual skill and competency. The rng set up requires no thought other than not pulling hate which is why it preferred.
 Lakshmi.Bleu
By Lakshmi.Bleu 2014-07-08 16:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Fosco said: »
What level did you guys do?
And where did you heal from (stairs? entrance?), and were you getting hit by the AOEs as well? You say arena-wide so my assumption is yes.

We did Regular, since it was the first run there.

Shadow Lord starts in the middle of the arena, so we mostly held him by the bottom of the stairs in phase 1. Mages just stood near the edges and kept our distance. Some of the AOEs only hit melees (the one that gives curse effect), others hit me at a distance and seemed unavoidable. I'm not sure if there is some special mechanic here, or if it was just luck, but he seemed to do an attack for heavy damage that ONLY hit me (WHM) at ~15-20', a few times. It wasn't too much to worry about, but I'll probably stack on a little more HP next time.

Phase 2 is just arena wide AOE for heavy damage every 5-10 seconds. I didn't see any other super dangerous moves though, so I'd recommend just having everyone group up, and Curaga III/IV after each AOE depending on the damage. The second phase dies much faster than the first phase.
 Lakshmi.Bleu
By Lakshmi.Bleu 2014-07-08 16:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do they keep making the same battlefield??? why does every battlefield havta be rng rng rng rng

unless your a pld with relic shield or a mage or a rng you have no hope in fighting in any of these.

We didn't take any RNG. Our setup was PLD THF SAM BLM BRD WHM. You would fail with 4x RNG, since SL has Physical Shield.

I'm going to suggest spending less time QQ'ing about party dynamics and more time setting up groups however you want.
By Pantafernando 2014-07-08 16:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats the point of a battlefield who is beated few hours after release?
 Bismarck.Inference
By Bismarck.Inference 2014-07-08 17:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Normal modes aren't supposed to take a long time to beat. I think most Very Difficult modes have been pretty successful in terms of difficulty.
 Lakshmi.Bleu
By Lakshmi.Bleu 2014-07-08 17:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

Try a few minutes after release ;)

This is a farming battlefield to get your chapters, some side-grade gear, and re-experience a fun old fight. I personally wasn't expecting an epic challenge here on Regular. I'm sure Very Difficult will give you the challenge you're looking for.
 Fenrir.Squintik
Server: Fenrir
user: Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-07-09 09:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It'd be nice if they'd come out with some new battlefields instead of just regurgitating old ones.
[+]
 Cerberus.Spirachub
Server: Cerberus
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-07-09 09:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Inference said: »
Normal modes aren't supposed to take a long time to beat. I think most Very Difficult modes have been pretty successful in terms of difficulty.

JP already beat VD on both new BCs.
 Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin 2014-07-09 10:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's because the RNG strategy requires minimal coordination and a high level of safety, making it ideal for shout groups full of players unfamiliar with each other.

Make your own groups with your own friends and LS-mates and set it up how you like. Most of these BCs can be done any which way you want if the group is competent, at least as high as normal. Worst-case scenario, you run it on VE a few times because of lesser geared friends or just to get a hang of the general strategy before you progress to higher difficulties. You still get chapters and mats.
 Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin 2014-07-09 10:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

Some people's e-peens get off on stuff like that, doing it first, or doing it as soon as possible, etc. It's like that in every MMO, has nothing to do with the inherent difficulty (or lack thereof) of the content. Even if it was impossibly hard, there'd be people who spend entire days/nights grinding it out to get it done first/ASAP (i.e. Delve when it first came out).