users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Closing of Laptop Causes FFXI to DC
Closing of Laptop Causes FFXI to DC
 Shiva.Devastation
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Devastation 2014-06-20 05:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I just replaced my other laptop *Windows 8.1 4000HD, with a 8.1 4600HD HP Envy, and now when I close my lid it causes FFXI to dc. I changed what happens when I close my lid, nothing. My old laptop I was able to get up and actually close my lid and go back to class. I really don't want to walk around with a widescreen laptop.

I tried to look up what may cause this but I can't seem to find anything, or when I do it has no help in it. My specs would be: 8GB DDR3 i7-Intel4700MQ @2.4Ghz. If anyone could be so kind and help me resolve this issue, Thank you.
By wormfeeder 2014-06-20 05:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

your power settings are most likely set to hibernate when you close the lid. check your power settings.
[+]
By wormfeeder 2014-06-20 05:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

try setting your power settings to desktop mode.
[+]
By wormfeeder 2014-06-20 06:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

also does it default to the start page when you reopen the lid
[+]
 Shiva.Devastation
By Shiva.Devastation 2014-06-20 06:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank for your time and input, but I doubled checked and hibernation isn't on. Currently I am looking for power to display but I can't seem to find that.
 Shiva.Devastation
By Shiva.Devastation 2014-06-20 06:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

wormfeeder said: »
try setting your power settings to desktop mode.

I don't see that as an option, do you know where I can locate that? As for your other options, they didn't work I dc'd when I reopened my laptop.
By wormfeeder 2014-06-20 06:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

desktop mode should be under power options. it might say always on or something like that.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
Server: Ragnarok
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2014-06-20 06:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

This usually happens because display drivers sleep or switch when the screen is shut. Always happened on my notebook. Never found a way to make it not crash.
[+]
 Shiva.Devastation
By Shiva.Devastation 2014-06-20 06:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't found that option, thanks for barring with me. I was aware of this issue myself President Tot, but I was hopeing that by now it would have been solved. QQ
By Jetackuu 2014-06-20 06:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I select "high performance"

there's an option to the left to change lid behavior as well

under "change plan settings" (you may want to just make a new plan for this many changes), change what option you want but also click "change advanced power settings"

you can verify the settings in there.

as for your graphics and or network card, you can always go into the device manager settings for both and turn off the power saving option for the cards.

all this will eat you battery more and is from a windows 7 environment, I don't use lol8.

but it should be about the same.

but you still haven't clarified the error, is it a time out "crash" or a hibernate or a loss of directx fullscreen crash? if you have to login again after opening it will crash, no way around it, unless you virtualize your game instance.
[+]
 Shiva.Devastation
By Shiva.Devastation 2014-06-20 09:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It just dc's from the server but now that you meantion the device manager it may be something along the lines of that. And the crash would be as if you just lost internet, just tried it, it gave me a 9001 -1 error.

I also tried that High performance, no luck. Thank you.
 Shiva.Devastation
By Shiva.Devastation 2014-06-20 09:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
as for your graphics and or network card, you can always go into the device manager settings for both and turn off the power saving option for the cards.

Tried it, Thank you but it didn't solve it.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [89 days between previous and next post]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-17 02:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

reading back on these: it sounds like your computer is shutting off the wifi adapter, and possibly also going into hibernation when you shut the lid, you have to disable all of this.
 Lakshmi.Konvict
Server: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2014-09-17 05:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Same issue here. Had to keep the lid open or it would have usually dcd after a couple hours. Never figured it out.
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-09-17 06:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

most laptops aren't designed to be actively running things that use the gpu with the lid closed.
The extra air circulation through the keyboard although seemingly minor is significant, and running a laptop with high load and the lid closed usually is bad for the battery due to the heat.

I just keep the lid on mine slightly open and have it run a blank screensaver when i need to leave XI running