Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 813 814 815 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Ramyrez 2015-07-29 12:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
100% agree, but the nice thing about the way we deal with it is that the problem can be resolved quickly and informally, when you involve the police, everyone tends to get more agitated and of course fines and arrests happen.

I think a lot of my concern is that I'm more likely to be the person adhering to the letter of the law, but pissing off the bitchy people who have nothing better to do but get a hare up their *** about my BBQ or noise.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-29 13:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
100% agree, but the nice thing about the way we deal with it is that the problem can be resolved quickly and informally, when you involve the police, everyone tends to get more agitated and of course fines and arrests happen.

I think a lot of my concern is that I'm more likely to be the person adhering to the letter of the law, but pissing off the bitchy people who have nothing better to do but get a hare up their *** about my BBQ or noise.

You're making BBQ and didn't invite me over for some???

Yeah, time to make your life hell. The smoke. The smoke! I HAVE CHILDREN. THEIR LUNGS COULD BE IRREVOCABLY DAMAGED. ***.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-29 13:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a few BBQ complaints a year, but nothing too bad. I mean, this is Idaho, after all, people are courteous and understanding for the most part. I have a personal rule, irrespective of HOA rules that says if I can hear it or smell it inside my house with the windows closed, it's too much. We're not all crunched together, though, my house is split level on a third of an acre, there's a good 70 feet between my house and the neighbors'.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-29 13:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I HAVE CHILDREN. THEIR LUNGS COULD BE IRREVOCABLY DAMAGED.

Good. Darwin at work.

Tell them to get on growing gills.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-07-29 13:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I must be a great neighbor, everything's spotless, I've never thrown a party in 6 six years, & all my vehicles stay out of the easements & have proper, quiet, exhausts. huh. you should all be more like me.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-29 13:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
I must be a great neighbor, everything's spotless, I've never thrown a party in 6 six years, & all my vehicles stay out of the easements & have proper, quiet, exhausts. huh. you should all be more like me.

Looks like you need a neighbor named Dennis. He's quite the menace.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-07-29 13:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

that'll be my son, give him a year or two.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-07-29 14:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not just take the revenge route... if someone does something annoying you just do something equally annoying to them back!
 Odin.Strummer
By Odin.Strummer 2015-07-29 14:41:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, are we complaining about HOAs? The condos my wife and I live in were built in the mid-70s, and the HOA bylaws haven't been updated since. So there are weird old obsolete rules that no one follows like not having any residents under the age of 13 (it was originally intended to be a retirement community, but that obviously didn't last).

Now, the residents care so little that no one is interested in being on the HOA board. The current members have served their terms and no one wants to replace them. So we've gotten to two impasses:

1) The current board is trying to amend the obsolete rules and regs, but in order to do that, according to the bylaws, they need a vote to pass by quorum. Over the course of the past two years, they have continuously failed to meet the quorum -- not enough residents care enough to vote.

2) Since no one is campaigning to replace the current board, they are forced by default to continue as incumbents. One has already resigned due to "personal reasons," and I can't blame them. As far as I can tell, there is no benefit nor advantage to serving on the board, and the board does not do a good job communicating (anything, really, but especially) what the responsibilities of the board are.

Now, the board's bi-monthly newsletters are getting increasingly passive-aggressive, talking about the apathy of the community to a point that is a little excessive. I would wager half the residents don't even understand why the vitriol is being directed at them, due to the poor communication up to this point. Folks like my wife and me, who at least vote and attend at least one meeting a year, feel unduly singled out for being apathetic.

Cherry on top: our property manager got fed up and quit last month. I hope her replacement is ready for a challenge.

Currently they're seeking (expensive) legal council to try to amend the bylaws to possibly require a reduced quorum and/or some other needed updates. It's a bad situation made worse by red tape, poor communication, and yes, some degree of apathy to which I'm somewhat sympathetic.

The only positive thing the HOA has done for us in five years of living there is fix the plaster of our outside stairs after rain damage -- which was already a mess when we moved in five years ago. But you better believe if the tree on our patio gets too tall, or if we put a potted plant on the stone wall of our property as opposed to the wooden fence, we get a written warning immediately to comply. I get it, but I wish our HOA was as effective and proactive with their other responsibilities.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-29 15:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I've said for years that gold's biggest value is in its conducting properties and not its "inherent value" as a shiny thing.
I'd argue that it's relative inertness (corrosion resistance) and ability to make extremely low-resistance contacts with other gold surfaces are probably of greater value.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-29 15:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Gold is now used in medicine, so there's that for value too.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-29 17:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
I've said for years that gold's biggest value is in its conducting properties and not its "inherent value" as a shiny thing.
I'd argue that it's relative inertness (corrosion resistance) and ability to make extremely low-resistance contacts with other gold surfaces are probably of greater value.

Considering that copper is a better conductor than gold, basically.

Can't have that copper oxidizing and corrupting that digital signal on our hdmi connections now can we?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-29 17:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Considering that copper is a better conductor than gold, basically.

Can't have that copper oxidizing and corrupting that digital signal on our hdmi connections now can we?

If conductivity is the chief concern, you'd use silver before gold or copper. Sure, silver still oxidizes like copper, but it's conductivity even when corroded is on par with gold at about 1/100th the cost.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-29 19:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
That's one reason I refuse to live in any neighborhood with a Homeowner Association.

I never will again. Someone took out my mailbox a few years ago, so I replaced it. 2 weeks later I got a letter from the HOA demanding I replace it with the standard mailbox required by the HOA regulation. Turns out the standard black mailbox I bought had a red latch, not a black one... Such petty BS.

I served on a board of one for ten years. My fellow board members were over-the-top in all directions. The other residents were as well. I sympathize on both sides. The mailbox thing is pretty absurd, but for every mailbox and every BBQ smoker, there's a guy or gal who stays up partying till 3 am flicking cig butts of her balcony and is a real nuance or follow even the lowest standards of courtesy or decency.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-29 19:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
So, just a question to those fussing over HOAs, do you, yourself, blame the HOA board (who is voted in by residents) or the property management company?

I think the entire concept is flawed. As for property managers? Manage your own damn property. If you want to pay someone to do it for you personally, do so, but don't require it of everyone who lives near you too.

Nah, you don't want to have someone dealing with collecting the fees and collecting from the deadbeats. That's really what the management company is for, they get to be the face of the bad guy..
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-07-29 20:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

OK, Dexter.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-29 21:01:02
Link | Quote | Reply

CA judge. Blocks further release of Planned Parenthood videos.

I guess we'll all just have to settle our outrage in on the Lion killer instead.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-29 21:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Or we can just not care about either.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-29 22:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole lion thing has me rather confused. I am very much opposed to trophy hunting of endangered species, but I'm seeing people go nuts over a lion death when insane human atrocities are being committed (especially in the Middle East) that they don't give a crap about. Seriously, if you're going to be outraged at least get your outrage priorities in check.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-07-29 22:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole lion thing has me rather confused. I am very much opposed to trophy hunting of endangered species, but I'm seeing people go nuts over a lion death when insane human atrocities are being committed (especially in the Middle East) that they don't give a crap about. Seriously, if you're going to be outraged at least get your outrage priorities in check.
I stubbed my toe yesterday morning. We should all create a mob action group against table legs.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-29 23:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I stubbed my toe yesterday morning. We should all create a mob action group against table legs.

We should put toes on the table legs so that they can stub them on us.

#equality
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-30 06:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
CA judge. Blocks further release of Planned Parenthood videos.

I guess we'll all just have to settle our outrage in on the Lion killer instead.

That guy paid 50,000 dollars. You can kill a person in Africa for that much !
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 07:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's the thing and bear with me, because I'm not saying this is necessarily right, but it does make sense:

Your average person doesn't feel like they can do much about large-scale problems. They can't convince the PotUS or Congress to authorize military action against scumbag ISIS. They can't directly convince Jihadis or the IRA or shooters in South Carolina. So the outrage builds and the anger over not being able to help people in need just sort of sits in them as the go about their day to day.

For some people, being able to lash out at an injustice directly is an outlet. No, they can't save rape victims or people being murdered by the droves by ISIS or Boko Harem. They can't stop shooters in South Carolina. But they know who this dentist is. They can boycott his business, give him ***via social media. Etc.

They can personally have some degree, however small, of direct impact on making this guy pay for the perceived injustice.

I don't think it's necessarily right. While I don't personally like trophy hunting -- I think it's an outdated pasttime that should be left behind as the relic of needless male posteuring that it is -- I don't think it helps the cause overall to tear down one guy engaging in a 'sport' that thousands of people engage in.

But it does make sense to me.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 07:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Now see, this is a cause worth getting behind.

Someone quick, make a kickstarter to fund hover-technology for all furniture and appliances so that my toes are safe.
By fonewear 2015-07-30 07:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless lions are an endangered species I fail to see the outrage of killing one lion...
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 07:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Unless lions are an endangered species I fail to see the outrage of killing one lion...

They are*, and their only significant predator is...wait for it...humans.

So guess where the blame sits there.

*Edit: depending upon how it's gauged. They're not in as bad of shape as many other species.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-07-30 07:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Almost

I'm sure before Obama leaves office that he will issue an executive order making lions endangered.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 07:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Almost

I'm sure before Obama leaves office that he will issue an executive order making lions endangered.

Which would be ***, given Congress just de-listed and nixed protections for various lupine species out west.

By fonewear 2015-07-30 07:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I really don't care if lions go extinct. Guess I'm an animal lover !
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-30 08:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I really don't care if lions go extinct.
One species going extinct can have dangerous repercussions on an entire ecosystem.

Speaking of understanding life..
First Page 2 3 ... 813 814 815 ... 1375 1376 1377