Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 37 38 39 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-07-26 15:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought this was interesting
Quote:
Men who have recovered from the disease (ebola)can still transmit the virus through their semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery from illness.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

It made me wonder about women who are infected and pregnant. The first woman to recover and still carry her baby happened during this outbreak (from what I could find). Otherwise miscarriages happen and there is a higher mortality rate.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/pregnant-woman-victoria-yillah-first-to-survive-ebola-in-sierra-leone/story-fneuz9ev-1226954032393

http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/179/Supplement_1/S11.long

Edit: huh seems to be a sperm day on random p&r
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-26 18:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Men who have recovered from the disease (ebola)can still transmit the virus through their semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery from illness.
Three pages with discussion of sperm! Loves it!

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Either I am misunderstanding it (which is certainly possible), or it seems to be a strangely distinguished specialization of a sacrifical strategy. Or simply a frame of reference problem.
The way I've always been taught and read altruism is that it's a particular behavior that benefits another organism by reducing one's own fitness. The link below does a pretty good job of explaining altruism in biology, but also has a nice part But is it ‘Real’ Altruism? at the end.

Biological Altruism

Quote:
In evolutionary biology, an organism is said to behave altruistically when its behaviour benefits other organisms, at a cost to itself. The costs and benefits are measured in terms of reproductive fitness, or expected number of offspring. So by behaving altruistically, an organism reduces the number of offspring it is likely to produce itself, but boosts the number that other organisms are likely to produce. This biological notion of altruism is not identical to the everyday concept. In everyday parlance, an action would only be called ‘altruistic’ if it was done with the conscious intention of helping another. But in the biological sense there is no such requirement. Indeed, some of the most interesting examples of biological altruism are found among creatures that are (presumably) not capable of conscious thought at all, e.g. insects. For the biologist, it is the consequences of an action for reproductive fitness that determine whether the action counts as altruistic, not the intentions, if any, with which the action is performed.

I think it's important to note that in the slime mold example. The amoebas that comprise the slime mold are fully functional unicellular organisms unlike the Wood mouse sperm. The Amoebas are able to perform binary fission and survive independently of the slime-mold/slug.

That article above also touches on another concept gene-centered view of evolution

Quote:
This is in contrast to the organism-centered viewpoint adopted historically by biologists. Proponents of the gene-centered viewpoint argue that it permits understanding of diverse phenomena such as altruism and intragenomic conflict that are otherwise difficult to explain from an organism-focused perspective.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-26 18:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm telling you, that definition of Altruism was inserted into the biological text by surreptitious means by creationists or creationist apologists like Ben Stein. They seek to muddy the debate and create reactionary alcoves in discussion where they can retreat. No Biologist I've ever spoken to, including my Bio102 Evolutionary Biology professors considered the definition you are bringing in here to have a valid and traceable source.

But in a synergistic manner with the whole Politically correct debate, people are somewhat afraid to stand up and say it's ***.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-26 18:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-07-26 18:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is that definition of biological altruism erroneous? I see nothing wrong with it, and it perfectly fits the concept, in my opinion.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-26 18:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Why is that definition of biological altruism erroneous? I see nothing wrong with it, and it perfectly fits the concept, in my opinion.

There's nothing wrong with it, I'm just having fun debating semantics for literally the same reason I put in my last comment. You can infinitely find places to hide in based on personal interpretation.
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-07-26 19:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Life Guard Would Save Drowning Man, But Who Is He To Play God?
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-26 22:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
No Biologist I've ever spoken to, including my Bio102 Evolutionary Biology professors considered the definition you are bringing in here to have a valid and traceable source.

To stab the dead horse one last time lol

Genetics of Mutualism: The Evolution of Altruism between Species
STEVEN A. FRANK
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Irvine,
By Jetackuu 2014-07-26 22:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair: a low level biology prof isn't really all that credible.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-26 22:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Professors will usually teach a variety of courses unless their research only so it isn't really an indication of qualifications by itself.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-07-26 22:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Professors will usually teach a variety of courses unless their research only so it isn't really an indication of qualifications by itself.

typically, I'd like one of those nice tenure research only positions, man I'm in the wrong field.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-07-28 19:14:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Random Politics & Religion Update

-Random P&R is best read to any of the many songs by Skrillex for maximum annoyance. Anyone not listening to Skrillex while reading Random P&R shall have anything posted considered non-credible.
-Your wrong and your're opinion is stupid.
-We'd like to see more nonsensical replies.
-"This." - Bill "#YOLOswag" O'Reilly

Oh God, how did this get here? I'm not good with computer.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-28 20:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-07-29 08:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The hell did we do to Greece? Also, even though we hate France, apparently the feeling isn't mutual.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-29 08:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm surprised that Germany isn't higher.

But we need to start shitting on more countries. Like Vietnam, I guess they forgot what we did to them 30-40 years ago. Time for Vietnam War II: This Time ***Gets Real!
 Leviathan.Redherring
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Redherring 2014-07-29 08:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is the Philippines so high? is it cause of aid like the red cross or just that they really like american pop culture?

i know they really like clash of clans in the Philippines.
 Bahamut.Alukat
user: Alukat
By Bahamut.Alukat 2014-07-29 08:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I'm surprised that Germany isn't higher.

well, seems like the citizens have been asked and not only our politicians....
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-07-29 08:59:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Redherring said: »
Why is the Philippines so high? is it cause of aid like the red cross or just that they really like american pop culture?

American Fetishism.

A lot of American culture is influenced by what seems exotic, or can be made to seem exotic.

Also, the international funding and aid.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-07-29 09:16:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Also, the international funding and aid.

it hasn't helped us any in egypt. I find your reasoning flawed
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-07-29 09:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You find anything coming from a Canadian flawed, because you are Canada's jean shorts.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-29 09:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You find anything coming from a Canadian flawed, because you are Canada's jean shorts I am America's hat.
ftfy
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-07-29 09:32:34
Link | Quote | Reply

You find anything coming from a Canadian flawed.

amen
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-07-29 09:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate maple syrup.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-29 09:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You find anything coming from a Canadian flawed, because you are Canada's jean shorts I am America's hat.
ftfy

One way or the other, based on the clothing listed here, we're looking at full frontal nudity at the border, and that's not a bad thing.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-07-29 09:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
ftfy

One way or the other, based on the clothing listed here, we're looking at full frontal nudity at the border, and that's not a bad thing.
Carly Rae Jepsen is Canadian so I'm cool with that.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-07-29 12:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »

Random Politics & Religion Update

-Your wrong and your're opinion is stupid.
It isn't nice to pick on Altimaomega.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-07-29 12:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Did anyone ever request a cease fire from the us during any of the iraq/afganastan wars?
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-07-29 12:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Redherring said: »

We have armed and trained their entire military for one, and we rescued them from the Japanese 70 years ago for two.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-07-29 12:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Did anyone ever request a cease fire from the us during any of the iraq/afganastan wars?
Didn't the US offer ceasefire negotiations for the apprehension and overturning of high profile targets, that were ultimately refused?
First Page 2 3 ... 37 38 39 ... 1375 1376 1377