Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 160 161 162 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-25 12:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Or maybe the warming in the ocean has very little to do with CO2 levels in the atmosphere. Maybe there are like underwater volcanoes in the ocean or some other unseen factor heating up the oceans as well.
Interesting theory. Climate science hasn't really taken magic into account. Keep up that healthy skepticism.

Only Pleebo would be so arrogant as to suggest that doubting his comprehension of the issue would be akin to "believing in magic".

Who am I kidding, there's plenty more than Pleebo.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-25 12:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Underwater volcanoes that can only heat the surface of the ocean or mystic, unseen forces sounds pretty magical to me.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-25 12:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

If there was a heat source at the bottom of the ocean why wouldn't that heat rise to the top? Hot fluids rise don't they?

I never said mystic, only unseen as in unknown or unobserved.

Please continue to spout "the science is settled" like the fool you are.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-25 12:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Underwater volcanoes that can only heat the surface of the ocean or mystic, unseen forces sounds pretty magical to me.

could be aliens.... they could be focusing an invisible magnifying glass on it.

/hands you a spare tin foil hat

the tin foil reflects the beams so they can't burn us up like ants
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-25 12:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Science is never settled. It's an infinite ongoing process until you reach a unified singularity that can never be observed, hence the infiniticity.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-25 12:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, pointing out how incorrect one side has been has nothing to do with it, the skeptics are just "flat-earthers" and bible thumpers.
Unless they can provide a mechanism or model which performs better for the same information, and tracks better against future predictions, then yes, they are similar to "flat-earthers" and bible thumpers.

For example, an increase in underwater volcanoes/vents could be postulated as a potential concept for explaining increased temperatures. A rather straightforward and simple calculation can give you a rough order of magnitude of how much heat would be required to heat the first 3 meters of seawater by 1 degree C, which you can then use to estimate how large the undiscovered underwater volcanoes/thermal vents could be.

This link can give you some idea of the scale of how much volume an area a lava flow impacts, and the relative temperatures (also noting that a non-insignificant amount of energy is used on converting some of the water directly to steam).

Needless to say, it is a very low probability that unknown undersea volcanoes are a contender as a feasible alternate driver.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-25 12:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If there was a heat source at the bottom of the ocean why wouldn't that heat rise to the top? Hot fluids rise don't they?

Thermal conduction doesn't work that way. What unknown force would be heating the surface of the ocean? More specifically, what factor could have great enough influence to warm enormous amounts of water yet be elusive enough to escape our detection?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-25 12:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Skepticism is now equivalent to bible thumping?!

Put down the Koolaid, you've had too much.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-25 12:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

What unknown force would be heating the surface of the ocean?

well I'm sure you'll let us know when you finish exploring the entire ocean floor to rule everything else out jacques cousteau...
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-25 12:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Given no other input, generally less dense fluids will rise above more dense fluids.
This doesn't necessarily correlate with temperature (for more details, read more on thermoclines, and remember that water is most dense around 4C).

There are generally a number of other flow patterns in play in oceans. Although an active-enough source could very likely cause disruption of normal flow patterns with some kind of convection cell.

It's all a matter of scale.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-25 12:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe Nikolce just hates some certain sea creatures so much he developed an orbiting space platform to
THERE'S ONE!!!

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-25 12:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

It's called convection. Hot water moves to the top, cold water sinks to the bottom. Same reason why top floor units in apartment buildings are warmer than those on the bottom.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-25 13:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's called convection. Hot water moves to the top, cold water sinks to the bottom. Same reason why top floor units in apartment buildings are warmer than those on the bottom.
By that logic, the top floor units have all the hot water, and the bottom floor units have all the cold water.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-25 13:08:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Heat magically rises.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-25 13:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's 176 more back and forths on climate change if you can't wait until tomorrow's argument
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-25 13:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »

Heat magically rises.
Then why does ice float?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-25 13:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Heat magically rises.
Then why does ice float?
Fairies and leprechauns.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-25 13:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

By that logic, the top floor units have all the hot water, and the bottom floor units have all the cold water.

Water and hot water are delivered to their user sources in lines, so no, not by that logic at all.

However if there was ONE single tank of water that traversed the entire height of the apartment building, and had no external heating source, and each floor was restricted to an output in relation to its floor, then yes the top floor units would get warmer water than the bottom floor units.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-25 13:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Heat magically rises.
Then why does ice float?

Given you don't understand logic.
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

Heat magically rises.
Then why does ice float?
Fairies and leprechauns.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-25 13:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Heat magically rises.
Then why does ice float?

It's less dense than water. As water freezes, it expands. This same change in density breaks pipes open when they freeze.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-25 13:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Here's 176 more back and forths on climate change if you can't wait until tomorrow's argument

We haven't even touched on the sun here. How would the sun effect the temperature of the earth? Sounds like bible thumping flat earther talk to me!
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-11-25 13:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Heat magically rises.
Then why does ice float?

It's less dense than water. As water freezes, it expands. This same change in density breaks pipes open when they freeze.

Don't feed the obvious troll.. At least I hope he is trolling...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-25 13:26:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

We haven't even touched on the sun here. How would the sun effect the temperature of the earth? Sounds like bible thumping flat earther talk to me!

But the science is settled on the sun, we know 100% everything about it and there is no way it can be responsible for this.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-25 13:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

However if there was ONE single tank of water that traversed the entire height of the apartment building, and had no external heating source, and each floor was restricted to an output in relation to its floor, then yes the top floor units would get warmer water than the bottom floor units.
Only for temperatures of water over 4C.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-25 13:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Heat magically rises.
Then why does ice float?

Don't feed the obvious troll.. At least I hope he is trolling...

I hope its a troll too, but just last Friday he was backing that the earth had warmed almost 10 degrees centigrade since the mid 80s.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-25 13:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah we'll just all run in the same direction to slow the earth's rotation down a little which should allow us a window to fire a bunch of rockets pointing up at the same time to alter our orbit just enough to cool us back off when it gets too hot... that way we can keep burning coal.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-25 13:39:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Heat magically rises.
Then why does ice float?

It isn't the change in density itself that causes the pipes to burst, it is the increase in pressure due to the expansion. In other words, the pipes will rarely burst radially (e.g. directly due to expansion) at the point of freezing, but at whatever the weakest point is, typically downstream (towards output, rather than towards source). If you have some form of pressure relief, then you can accommodate some freeze action in your pipes, as long as the pressure relief can activate for the appropriate section.

The point is, saying that
Hot fluids rise don't they?
isn't true in all cases, and is misleading. The answer is based on density and pressure, in this case the density of the fluid or gas, and the pressure exerted by the atmosphere in a gravitational field.

Which is why all kinds of fun happen when you are in micro-g/zero-g environments.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-25 13:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Heat magically rises.
Then why does ice float?

It isn't the change in density itself that causes the pipes to burst, it is the increase in pressure due to the expansion. In other words, the pipes will rarely burst radially (e.g. directly due to expansion) at the point of freezing, but at whatever the weakest point is, typically downstream (towards output, rather than towards source). If you have some form of pressure relief, then you can accommodate some freeze action in your pipes, as long as the pressure relief can activate for the appropriate section.

The point is, saying that
Hot fluids rise don't they?
isn't true in all cases, and is misleading. The answer is based on density and pressure, in this case the density of the fluid or gas, and the pressure exerted by the atmosphere in a gravitational field.

Which is why all kinds of fun happen when you are in micro-g/zero-g environments.

Well ya the pressure that occurs from pipes freezing is what causes them to burst, as water freezes it looks to occupy X more space. In a length of existing pipe, it doesn't have it. So as one section freezes the breakage will occur at the point where the pressure is greater than the integrity of the pipe. This is not always at the "weakest" section of the supply line system which is almost always a soldered joint (in copper water lines anyways).

Anyways, just because there are more factors involved in how the ocean works than convection, doesn't mean that we know everything about it. Convection plays a role as does changes in density. Moreover there are most certainly influences that are exerted in which we have little understanding of, case in point your not knowing as precisely as I do how pipes freeze.

I'm sure someone knows more about it than I do as well.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-11-25 13:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Heat magically rises.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 160 161 162 ... 1375 1376 1377