Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1011 1012 1013 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-05 14:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

How else are you going to get good grades if you don't carry a gun to an exam.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-05 14:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's safe to call any school that will expel you for carrying a firearm a "gun-free zone". We can argue semantics all day, but it still acts as a heavy deterrent.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-05 14:37:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I think it's safe to call any school that will expel you for carrying a firearm a "gun-free zone". We can argue semantics all day, but it still acts as a heavy deterrent.

It's far from semantics. Facing academic punishment is so far from criminal gun charges, and "gun-free zones" are federal/state mandated areas where you do not have the constitutional right to possess a firearm. Obviously it varies by state and institution, but the whole argument against gun free zones is that they are soft targets, places that criminals know nobody will be armed. A place with a no guns internal policy is a different animal. A person can LEGALLY be armed in that setting, and is unlikely to face any serious discipline when they pull out a gun to stop a killer.

Valefor.Sehachan said: »

I can't understand the need for a concealed weapon on campus unless you LIVE in student housing. If you want to be able to protect yourself in your residence, I don't really see a problem with that, but nobody needs to be armed in a stinking English class.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-10-05 14:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »

I can't understand the need for a concealed weapon on campus unless you LIVE in student housing. If you want to be able to protect yourself in your residence, I don't really see a problem with that, but nobody needs to be armed in a stinking English class.
Well, till you need to have an "English ***, do you speak it?!" moment.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-05 14:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

nobody needs to be armed in a stinking English class.

Recent events would say otherwise.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-05 14:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, what if a muslim kid brings a bomb to class!
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-05 14:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »

I've had a student stand up in class and lash out recently over an admittedly clusterfuck of a project. I still can't see the need to be armed.

Jetackuu said: »
nobody needs to be armed in a stinking English class.

Recent events would say otherwise.

Right, why would you hide or run when you can pull out a gun and get more people killed. Brilliant.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-05 14:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't even have a stark opinion on gun-free zones, except that there should be at least some form of deterrent to make up for it. But as they typically stand now, they are soft targets. It's the easiest logic argument ever. If you want to kill a bunch of people, do you: (A)- Go to a place where law or policy discourages guns; (B)- Go to a place with no gun regulation whatsoever.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-10-05 14:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a clock, goddammit!!

I've had a student stand up in class and lash out recently over an admittedly clusterfuck of a project. I still can't see the need to be armed.
Mine never leave my sock drawer. >.>
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-05 14:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't even have a stark opinion on gun-free zones, except that there should be at least some form of deterrent to make up for it. But as they typically stand now, they are soft targets. It's the easiest logic argument ever. If you want to kill a bunch of people, do you: (A)- Go to a place where law or policy discourages guns; (B)- Go to a place with no gun regulation whatsoever.

Putting up a better perimeter should be the logical conclusion, though, not to eliminate gun-free zones. There's a reason that you aren't allowed to have a weapon in places like courthouses. Does it make it safer if everyone has a weapon or if nobody has one?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-05 14:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I don't see you bothering with a proper reply. If snide commentary is all you got, well..
Isn't that like 90% of your posts?

No.

Just so you're aware of what KN was talking about.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-05 14:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see you bothering with a proper reply. If snide commentary is all you got, well..
Isn't that like 90% of your posts?

No.

Just so you're aware of what KN was talking about.

To be fair, in that sample it's only 50-75% of her posts.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-05 14:49:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Putting up a better perimeter should be the logical conclusion, though, not to eliminate gun-free zones. There's a reason that you aren't allowed to have a weapon in places like courthouses. Does it make it safer if everyone has a weapon or if nobody has one?

Lol, courthouses. You mean places where criminals are often found and armed police officers are on high alert? I think that safely falls into the "deterrent" portion of my quoted post.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-05 14:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Those were jokes though, I didn't use them on anyone's argument. They're no counters about the topic. And most definetely not snide lol.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-05 14:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, why would you hide or run when you can pull out a gun and get more people killed. Brilliant.
Some people at certain times deserve to die.

Apparently you don't grasp the concept of "stand your ground" or why it's a thing.

Last I checked "running and/or hiding" doesn't protect you so well.
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-10-05 14:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

What does the Fox News say?
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-05 14:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently you don't grasp the concept of "stand your ground" or why it's a thing.

You're not grasping that I'm referring to people not being Rambo. Statistics show over and over that people who pull a gun to stop a bad guy end up killing other people or getting themselves killed more often than they stop their target.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-05 14:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not grasping that I'm referring to people not being Rambo. Statistics show over and over that people who pull a gun to stop a bad guy end up killing other people or getting themselves killed more often than they stop their target.
Really now?

I am grasping, I just know you're full of it.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-05 14:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, courthouses. You mean places where criminals are often found and armed police officers are on high alert? I think that safely falls into the "deterrent" portion of my quoted post.

Not necessarily the same idea. Having a perimeter around the zone was the point. If a school is a gun-free zone, you have to have a way to ensure that it is indeed gun-free.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-05 14:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So schools now need perimeter fences and security checkpoints? Is that what you're suggesting?

Why not make everyone show their papers while you're at it.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-05 14:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Really now?

I am grasping, I just know you're full of it.

Ignoring the facts doesn't make you right, as you point out every time. In any case, I've told you multiple times I do not wish to discuss this topic with you, yet you continue to respond to my posts unsolicited.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-05 14:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ignoring the facts doesn't make you right, as you point out every time. In any case, I've told you multiple times I do not wish to discuss this topic with you, yet you continue to respond to my posts unsolicited.
Yes I'm well aware that you don't want to admit that you are wrong.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-10-05 14:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If you pull a gun, CC or not you're a target. CC is a last resort, or at least should be. Open Carry is stupid, bull's eye tattoos on your forehead and back should be mandatory to open carry because when ***goes down, you're the first target. Carrying a weapon should be a secret.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-05 15:00:36
Link | Quote | Reply

So schools now need perimeter fences and security checkpoints? Is that what you're suggesting?

I never said that was the solution. It's the logical conclusion for ensuring a gun free zone is actually gun free. Not the typical more guns solution that always gets thrown out there.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-05 15:01:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If you pull a gun, CC or not you're a target. CC is a last resort, or at least should be. Open Carry is stupid, bull's eye tattoos on your forehead and back should be mandatory to open carry because when ***goes down, you're the first target. Carrying a weapon should be a secret.

Matter of opinion, personally I have nothing wrong with those who OC.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-05 15:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I never said that was the solution. It's the logical conclusion for ensuring a gun free zone is actually gun free. Not the typical more guns solution that always gets thrown out there.

mmhmm, got it.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-05 15:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Not true. Look at this guy, he open carries all the time and nobody can frickin' hit him.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-05 15:09:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
So, sorry Chanti, but that school is, by federal law, designated to be a gun-free zone.
Sorry King, but colleges and universities, although schools, are not school zones.

Quote:
The Oregonian published a piece with the headline: “Umpqua Community College not a gun-free zone: Oregon laws prevent that.” The paper explained that “[e]veryone with a concealed firearms license is allowed to bring guns on campus.
Sorry Chanti, but colleges and universities, are considered school zones per the Federal law

18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25) said:
(25) The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-05 15:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the most frustrating part of this discussion. Liberals outright refuse to see that gun free zone = easy target.

Literally blinded by their ideology.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1011 1012 1013 ... 1375 1376 1377