Meanwhile, At The Huffington Post:

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 56 57 58
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-02 19:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought Detroit was a democrat's paradise?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-02 19:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been to Detroit I thought I was in a third world country.

Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-02 19:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

There are people on here who think Serbia is a third world country, so that would make Detroit a fourth world country. (It actually fits the definition too, lol.)
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-02 19:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The city itself is nice by the outside area of the city is as ghetto as you can imagine.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-02 19:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't it a Detroit region where some girl got drunk as hell smashed into a parked car, wondered around for over an hour (maybe longer) and then got shot trying to break into someone's house and then they charged the guy who shot her with murder cause...? (I think he was white, not sure though.)
By fonewear 2015-03-02 20:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Wasn't it a Detroit region where some girl got drunk as hell smashed into a parked car, wondered around for over an hour (maybe longer) and then got shot trying to break into someone's house and then they charged the guy who shot her with murder cause...? (I think he was white, not sure though.)

Sounds about right.

The former mayor is in federal prison for corruption that is all you need to know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwame_Kilpatrick
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-02 20:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Sounds about right.

The former mayor is in federal prison for corruption that is all you need to know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwame_Kilpatrick
This guy Kwame Kilpatrick (D)?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-02 20:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Detroit has had a Democrat mayor since like 1950.

Starting to think Democrats might be a bad idea...in Detroit.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/viewSubCategory.asp?id=1880

Under the unbroken chain of Democrats who have led the city ever since 1961, Detroit has taken on some of the characteristics of an experiment in the creation of a social underclass. Its population today is 82.7% black and 10.6% white, a statistical fact that necessarily skews the city's politics heavily toward the Democratic Party, given that African Americans overwhelmingly self-identify as Democrats. Moreover, traditional nuclear families are rarely seen in Detroit. The city's out-of-wedlock birth rate exceeds 75%, and married-parent families with children younger than 18 constitute only 9.2% of all residents. This phenomenon, too, is in large measure a by-product of the city's large black population, as the black illegitimacy rate nationwide is currently 73%.

Economic hardship in the Motor City is both widespread and profound. Indeed the population of Detroit has a per capita income of just $14,861 (scarcely half the national average), a median household income of $26,955 (about half the national median), and a poverty rate of 38.1% (about 2.5 times the U.S. average). Approximately 34.5% of Detroit residents receive food stamps, and the city's unemployment rate is above 18%. Even more significant is Detroit's paltry 54.3% work-force participation rate, a measure of all people who either have a job or are looking for one. The other 45.7%, meanwhile, are neither employed nor seeking work of any kind. Since 1970, the number of Detroiters with jobs has dropped by more than 53%.

Detroit's economic malaise has been brought about by decades of irresponsible practices that sociologist Thomas Sowell has nicknamed the “Detroit Pattern,” a reference to the city's custom of “increasing taxes, harassing businesses, and pandering to unions.” These three factors bear closer examination:
By Altimaomega 2015-03-02 20:28:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole country is following the "Detroit Pattern" and people are to stupid to realize it.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-03-02 20:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
The whole country is following the "Detroit Pattern" and people are to stupid to realize it.
By Altimaomega 2015-03-02 20:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Altimaomega said: »

The Irony of that Iron E is that I got topic banned for doing the same thing to you. Awesome how one sided this forum is ain't it.
By Jetackuu 2015-03-02 20:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

POIDH
By Altimaomega 2015-03-02 20:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-02 23:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
What's the matter with Ren? Well, she's freezing cold, and she's not good at making bets.

Christy Carlson Romano, aka Ren from "Even Stevens," has a problem with the #Consent issue in "Fifty Shades of Grey." In fact, she had so much disdain for the movie that she bet her husband it wouldn't win the box office in its second weekend, and the loser would have to stand outside in the freezing New York weather in their underwear.

From the title of this article, you can pretty much guess what happened. Unfortunately for Romano, the historic plummet at the box office for "Fifty Shades" wasn't enough to take it out of first place, so she had to strip down to some lingerie and head outside in the freezing cold. And to make matters worse, she also had a little trouble staying on her feet when she came back indoors.

Even with the fall, Romano was a good sport about the whole thing and later tweeted encouraging people to discuss #Consent with their loved ones:
Former Disney Star Strips After Losing 'Fifty Shades' Bet, Falls On Her Butt For Good Measure
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-03-03 08:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been to Detroit I thought I was in a third world country.

Look at all that wealth distribution. Everybody's house is worthless!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-03-03 08:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

We had quite the forum discussion over this. Your facts are a little off, I think?

Pretty sure she was knocking on his door for help, not breaking in, and he shot her and didn't get charged? Or, at least, didn't get convicted?
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-03-03 09:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

He was convicted and sentenced to 17-25 years.
By Ramyrez 2015-03-03 09:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
He was convicted and sentenced to 17-25 years.

Oh. Well, good.

"Shoot first ask questions later" is cute as a movie cliche, not so much in real life.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-03-03 09:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course the fall of Detroit is all about them lazy black people, Democrats, and has nothing to do with abandonment by the auto industry....
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-03-03 09:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Of course the fall of Detroit is all about them lazy black people, Democrats, and has nothing to do with abandonment by the auto industry....

Like most things, the truth is more complicated than any side wants to give credit for; everyone just wants to point a finger, blame someone, and then say that they have all the answers, if you'll just put yourself under their power...
By fonewear 2015-03-03 09:29:58
Link | Quote | Reply

You are assuming that Detroit is worth saving though...that won't happen the government will bail them out.

I wish I could run a business like that. Oh hey Apple you went bankrupt don't worry the government has got you back !
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-03-03 10:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You are assuming that Detroit is worth saving though...that won't happen the government will bail them out.

I wish I could run a business like that. Oh hey General Motors you went bankrupt don't worry the government has got you back !
Fixed.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2015-03-03 18:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

lol... yup.. The abandonment by the auto industry has nothing to do with lazy "people in general, no need to play the race card" and the democratic control Michigan was held under for over 50 yrs.... Do I need sarcasm tags for this?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-03-03 19:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The auto industry issues are a really interesting complex mechanism. There's elements of virtually every left and right fallacy and truth all rolled up into a smoldering pile of abandoned industrial space.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-08 07:55:42
Link | Quote | Reply

This Man Was Body-Shamed, And Now Hundreds Of Women Are Throwing Him A Party
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-08 10:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been body shamed where is my party !
By Bloodrose 2015-03-08 10:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It's my party, and I'll dance if I want to?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-09 02:18:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
A controversial new study from Denmark shows a link between circumcision and autism, although experts differ sharply over what to make of it.

For the study, published online Jan. 8, 2015 in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, a pair of researchers looked at cases of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in more than 340,000 boys born in Denmark between 1994 and 2003. The researchers found that the overall risk of developing autism before age 10 was almost 50 percent higher for circumcised boys than uncircumcised boys.

What explains the link?

"All we can say at this point is that there is a statistical association between circumcision and autism," study co-author Dr. Morten Frisch, a consultant at the Statens Serum Institut (State Serum Institute) and adjunct professor of sexual health epidemiology at Aalborg University in Copenhagen, told The Huffington Post in an email. "We cannot say whether it is a causal association or some spurious non-causal link for which we currently don't have an explanation."
Circumcision Linked To Autism In Controversial New Study
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-03-09 09:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh god are we about to have the circumcision debate all over again?
By Ramyrez 2015-03-09 09:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone together, please:

"Correlation does not equal causation."

And right now correlation is all they have.
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 56 57 58