Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Hand-me-down monitor won't work
Hand-me-down monitor won't work
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-05-28 16:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

My friend gave me his Samsung SyncMaster 2494 the other day, but it won't receive power. He said it was working when he unplugged it that day, but when it arrived at my place and was plugged in, it would never turn on. Black screen, no lights. My computer did register that it was there in the display settings, but the monitor itself wouldn't turn on.

We're thinking maybe he grabbed the wrong power cord, but to my knowledge, those cords are interchangeable. It's a 250/v cable. Maybe I'm wrong. Any insights?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [111 days between previous and next post]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-17 02:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

(going through old support threads)

2 things: 1 is there a voltage switch on the back to switch from 120 to 240? what's it set to? if you're in the US you should be using 120.

(the voltage the cable supports is rather moot, it's a matter of the amperage and if it doesn't support enough current, it won't cut on (at times will melt), but that's generally speaking with wires, when it comes to monitor power cables 99/100 it will work just fine universally, unless that monitor is pulling a lot of power it shouldn't be.

That being said: it's always possible the back light went out.

Looks like that's not an led backlit monitor so guessing it has a bit of age on it, another possibility is some of the caps blew, quite common and I've had to replace them on a lot of monitors, cheap QC+ parts with a life span, go figure.

On another note: it seems that monitor pulls 44w, at 115v that's about 383ma, looking at a pretty standard cord I have here, supports about 13 amps, or 13000ma, so you do the math. (for those that struggle with math and metric units, unless the cable is faulty, it will work).