users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Old ffxi
Old ffxi
 Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget 2014-05-22 05:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

There are things I miss about 2004-05 era FFXI and things I don't, and the things I don't miss far outweigh the stuff I do.
[+]
 Valefor.Faye
Server: Valefor
user: LunaBlade
By Valefor.Faye 2014-05-22 07:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I do sorta miss it, but the newer version makes it easier for me to play now that I have more of a life. When I was a teenager, I didn't have all that much to do... and I have social anxiety disorder so it was hard for me to make friends outside of the game. When I started playing FFXI in 2004, I found out I could make friends ingame and it felt pretty cool. I even met my now husband on this game around the time ToAU came out. However, time went by, we had kids, got more important things to do and a lot more rl friends to talk to so I really appreciate the change. I think that is probably true with a lot of us... that we just grew up and due to life we now lack time for the old content.
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-05-22 21:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

No.
 Bismarck.Boozerr
Server: Bismarck
user: Boozerr
By Bismarck.Boozerr 2014-05-22 21:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Bruno said: »
Don't think I'd go back, I still really enjoy modern XI. One old element of the game I really loved to experience was camping relevant lotto pop NMs. Stuff like Ose, Charybdis, pre-RA/EX Mee Deggi the Punisher/Valkurm Emperor/Leaping Lizzy/Lord of Onzozo, and Sozu Sarberry too(even though that's still relevant, though not heavily camped.)

I just loved the feeling you get as the PH is about to pop and you're like "is this gonna be it?? is this gonna be it??" as your heart pumps, "…no just [[PH name here]]" and that repeats every 5/10/15 min, whatever the PH repop time was, with nerve wracking anticipation right before each pop.. and when you FINALLY see the NM pop, your heart races, your stomach drops, and you get chills as you rush to claim it, everything you had been working on for hours is finally at it's climax, Mee Deggi is in the horizon!

claimbots/RMT is more of what killed most of that off though a lot moreso than modern XI :/

lol... Im with ya on this. I miss the rush of camping NMs that were worth while at the time.

Also...the memories of stuff like people zoning mobs that didn't despawn lol... it was a pain in the *** but good times. I remember crazy crawler links in the nest and every party there would have to hide somewhere until the mess was gone. It sucked....but funny when you look back at it.
Me personally? I loved the old FFXI, and i would definately start over on a no-abby, must party to level server. Honestly, Abby should of been made so you had to be lvl 70 to enter or something. Eliminate the leeches. All abby did was create a bunch of unskilled lvl 99 players. People who grinded a job to lvl 75 like in the old days, usually knew how to play the job by the time they got there. Now days, everyone is just sheep. If suddenly everyone decides that a certain armor is good, AH price goes up and creates this oh..everyone else is buying this, i better get it too" mentality. You see it all the time with gear prices on AH. suddenly everyone wants the same item at the same time....then suddenly everyone is selling it at the same time.

I dont know about todays game thou. Its still Final fantasy...its still fun, but its slowly dying. And i love how people like to dispute the idea that its dying...usually the players who have absolutely everything and are sitting pretty don't want to admit it. But it is. In my own opinion (debate it if ya want, but its my opinion), i think that the top level players are the ones that will kill the game. You never see too many shouts for good content anymore, and when you do people are so damn picky...like shouting for 119 rangers, or ochain paladins.. etc. Yes, i understand that it makes a huge difference, but if people don't have those things and no way to get them because they need a good linkshell to help...but cant get in one because they dont got the gear to qualify...then catch 22. the average player can not do much anymore because the die-hards think there too gimp or inexperienced to play. Honestly, if you want this game to last...every single person needs to lend a hand to every player who needs it when they can. Do not discourage the already limited player base we have...or more will leave. One day, all thats gonna be left is just top players... then SE is gonna say "sorry guys, not enough of you playing to pay the bills." game over.

Just my 2 cents.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-05-22 21:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing I`d want back from the old days is the friends that have quit over the years.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-05-22 21:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

old ffxi worked because the population was

-A: uninformed on the mechanics of the game/content

-B: alive

it won't work now because neither of those things can be fixed
 Bahamut.Sobius
Server: Bahamut
user: Sobius
By Bahamut.Sobius 2014-05-22 22:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't play anymore (on to ARR, more casual and I didn't like a lot of the direction XI when into with Adoulin). Nevertheless, as much as I groaned at some of the old content, I think the sense of reward was greater, directly proportional to the time/hell invested into it. level 75 meant something, certain gear spoke volumes and access to places like sky and sea were like exclusive clubs. CoP was brutal; Sea access and your CoP ring were like war medals.

Would I go back? Nope. It's an experience you can only have once. Look back, laugh and cry and take it as it was. Was it worth it? Absoloutely.

As a total aside I remember getting my RDM Relic body back in early 2005. I already had 3 other pieces, but that body piece was my pride and joy. I'm not exactly an attention hog but it sure felt good to be examined by 10+ people in every city I went into and even people trying to recruit me for their LS. I know gear doesn't make the player, but it was sure a nice feeling at the time ^^
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [60 days between previous and next post]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Damane
Server: Phoenix
user: Damane
By Phoenix.Damane 2014-07-23 15:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

never
[+]
 Asura.Voidwolf
Server: Asura
user: Voidwolf
By Asura.Voidwolf 2014-07-24 10:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

No. If it weren't for the major QOL changes made recently (waypoint porting, buyable maps, missions/quests made soloable, etc.) I wouldn't have come back. Miss the experience parties and social aspect, though.