Is "Swatting" The Newest Trend In Gaming?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Is "Swatting" the Newest Trend in Gaming?
Is "Swatting" the Newest Trend in Gaming?
First Page 2 3
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-24 08:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet another crazy story has surfaced, but is it a trend?

Quote:
"It’s a nationwide epidemic right now, where people play video games, and if you lose the video game, you try to develop information about the person you're playing, and then we send this army of police personnel out," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney told CBS New York. "In this bizarre world of swatting, you get points for the helicopters, police cars, the SWAT team, and the type of entry. It’s very sophisticated, and unfortunately it's also very dangerous."
Source

This particular story goes like this:

Quote:
Police descended upon a Long Island home Tuesday believing a man had shot several relatives inside. It turned out the 911 call they were responding to was a hoax and part of a game called “Swatting” that law enforcement officials say has become a nationwide epidemic.

Police in Long Beach received the call around 3 p.m. from a man saying he had shot members of his family and was threatening to kill others on Laurelton Boulevard, CBS 2′s Carolyn Gusoff reported.

Nassau County, Long Beach and MTA police and an ambulance responded with their SWAT teams and hostage negotiators, but when police entered the home, they found everyone inside safe and unharmed.

The way it works apparently is like this:

Quote:
A 17-year-old boy who was playing the video game “Call of Duty” inside the house was the apparent victim of the prank, Rincon reported. He had been playing against someone else online, police said.

In the game of Swatting, the losers of the video game get back at the winner by faking an emergency call from the winner’s house, Rincon reported.

“In this … bizarre world of Swatting, you get points for the helicopter, for the police cars, for the SWAT team, for the type of entry,” said Michael Tagney, Long Beach police commissioner. “It’s very sophisticated. Unfortunately, it’s very dangerous.”
Source

What they fail to mention is how the person calling the police verifies exactly how many police vehicles, car, etc. actually arrive if they could be from anywhere around the world.

Is this really a new trend? I have never heard of it until this story came out.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 08:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-24 08:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a BS move developed by the people of 4chan.

It is along the same lines as calling Pizza Hut (or Papa John's just to really piss them off) and ordering 10 pizzas at a person's house that they don't like or somehow offended them online.

It is all a bunch of ***, and I hope they catch the people pulling these pranks before it really takes off as a fad...
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-04-24 08:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Filing a false police report, or something like this is *or should be* an indictable offense.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-24 08:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Not going to lie I thought this was about swatting flies.
[+]
 Odin.Otaria
Server: Odin
user: Otaria
By Odin.Otaria 2014-04-24 08:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure about other areas of the world, or even other states, but in Illinois, doing this is a major offense and usually results in criminal charges. Not to mention the party responsible (usually the parents of the kid who called) get to pay a huge bill for the emergency responsce team.

I'm not surprised at all that it was over a CoD game, but good lord, didn't these kids parents ever teach them not to prank call 911?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-24 08:37:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Filing a false police report, or something like this is *or should be* an indictable offense.
It is.

It could very easily escalate to be a federal offense, especially if a person from, say, LA is getting back at a kid in NYC. Then the Feds will come down hard on him, practically throwing the book (if they follow the law, that is).
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 08:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
It is.

It could very easily escalate to be a federal offense, especially if a person from, say, LA is getting back at a kid in NYC. Then the Feds will come down hard on him, practically throwing the book (if they follow the law, that is).
While also removing their internet/gaming privileges, use of telephones, and spend time in a stockade.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-04-24 08:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Most I ever did was have Flion sign a guy who stole a mob from me up for furry newsletters and beastiality emails.

If you must know, I was levelling in Qufim, killed a Gigas' leech before I killed the Gigas, and some PLD come in and killed the Gigas. After thanking him but telling him I didn't need help he started some 12-year-old "Boohoo, cry moar noob!" BS. I don't think I would've went so far as to track him down IRL to *** with him.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-24 09:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
It's a BS move developed by the people of 4chan.

Literally spit my coffee out laughing at this comment from my work desk! Loooool i thought it said Pchan.
[+]
Server: Sargatanas
Game: FFXIV
By Kalyna Maimhov 2014-04-24 09:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

How do they get the opponent's address anyways?

"Hey man, where do you live?"
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-24 09:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like a story The Onion would have.
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 09:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Otaria said: »
I'm not surprised at all that it was over a CoD game, but good lord, didn't these kids parents ever teach them not to prank call 911?
Or apparently how to be a good sport or not a sore loser.

Anna Ruthven said: »
Most I ever did was have Flion sign a guy who stole a mob from me up for furry newsletters and beastiality emails.
Reminds me of times of the AOL days, back when internet was a Wild West frontier and without Spam Folders. Me and my hommie would do this to to people who crossed us IRL.
 Ragnarok.Tatsiki
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hinamori
By Ragnarok.Tatsiki 2014-04-24 09:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought that swatting meant this.

[+]
 Valefor.Angeluzun
user: Angeluzun
By Valefor.Angeluzun 2014-04-24 09:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone else want to blame it on this new age of "everyone's a winner"?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-24 09:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Angeluzun said: »

If you change winner to loser yes.

Also these kids need a hobby try riding a bike.
[+]
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-04-24 09:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of all these I've seen for some reason it's always Call of Duty.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-24 09:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Angeluzun said: »
Exactly what I was thinking of blaming actually.

This and the fact that parents aren't allowed to discipline their children anymore, my generation got spankings (not beatings) and it was an effective method of learning lifes hardknocks without actually being harmed. But now it's illegal to do so and each generation is rapidly degrading from then on and this degradation in quality of people isn't just some trick of the imagination like some would believe. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the difference in how each generation really is getting worse in their lack of understanding simple concepts like good sportsmanship and respect for authority and others. Kids now live without repercussions for their actions unless you count some adult saying words to you as a punishment or something to be feared.

EDIT:
Gotta elaborate on proper spanking methods before people flip out...
1) First of all spankings don't need to hurt to work as long as the kid thinks it will.
2) never do this while angry at the kid.
3) Make them wait for the spanking, tell them they are getting one later that day for what they did but don't tell them when. This will give them time to think about and regret what they did and will also teach them to respect repercussions for their actions.
4) Explain to them in detail what all of this was about and how that the real authorities punishment will be far worse than what they just experienced.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-24 09:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Call of Duty all you really need to know. Not saying COD makes people dumb but it doesn't help.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-24 10:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I see the old farts (read: late 20s-early 30s) folk are on full steam about how this generation is oh so *** up compared to our golden age of prosperity.

How about nope. The big difference in this era are computers, access to a global anonymous pool to *** with and stupid, petulant children. In my day (haha, my day) we threw firecrackers into other peoples yards, broke windows with baseballs, jumped fences onto private property, chased adults with dirty syringes, tossed rocks at passing trains and pelted cop cars with snowballs before running for our lives.

Today's kids do the same dumb ***in another form. They can't process that calling SWAT is i dunno... *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE... and think it's funny. Doubly so when you're a 'macho' 17 year old strokin' the first hairs coming off your face in the right places.

Also gonna catch flak but who gives a ***. Fighting games and FPS bring out the worst dumbfucking retards money can buy. These *** couldn't write their name in their own feces if they tried.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-24 10:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I expected this to be about Balltag, honestly.
[+]
 Bahamut.Scizor
Server: Bahamut
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2014-04-24 10:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I see the old farts (read: late 20s-early 30s) folk are on full steam about how this generation is oh so *** up compared to our golden age of prosperity.

How about nope. The big difference in this era are computers, access to a global anonymous pool to *** with and stupid, petulant children. In my day (haha, my day) we threw firecrackers into other peoples yards, broke windows with baseballs, jumped fences onto private property, chased adults with dirty syringes, tossed rocks at passing trains and pelted cop cars with snowballs before running for our lives.

Today's kids do the same dumb ***in another form. They can't process that calling SWAT is i dunno... *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE... and think it's funny. Doubly so when you're a 'macho' 17 year old strokin' the first hairs coming off your face in the right places.

Also gonna catch flak but who gives a ***. Fighting games and FPS bring out the worst dumbfucking retards money can buy. These *** couldn't write their name in their own feces if they tried.

It's like you literally opened up my head and took the words straight from my brain.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-24 10:26:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: wrong thread

Edit2: How did a misplaced post get rate ups? Damn. Maybe I should run for office.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 10:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Edit2: How did a misplaced post get rate ups? Damn. Maybe I should run for office.
Because you admitted your mistake and corrected it, something missing form politicians. Maybe you should run for office.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Leosin
user: Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2014-04-24 10:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
chased adults with dirty syringes

Subtle, but funny as hell.
This crap actually happened to me and my family.
Not over a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE FPS or any other game really, but we still got "Swatted".
Allegedly, but confirmed through IRC, my spouses jaded and previously incarcerated ex-husband got a couple of jackass shut-in friends of his that live in Germany to contact our local PD and get us swatted.
We woke up one lovely Saturday, had breakfast, jumped online (FFXI) and heard a loud knock on the door. Looking out of our windows we were greeted by assault rifles. We let the cops in and thankfully there were no immediate problems resulting from trigger-happy cops. Pretty sure that the puzzled look of a mid-30's couple standing in the doorway eased their suspicions. After a quick search through our house, we were informed that they had received a tip from an anonymous source over skype that there was an armed gunman in our house holding 2 children captive and had already shot one. The anonymous source was supposedly the gunman and the police had been sitting out in our neighborhood for over an hour questioning our neighbors, assessing the situation, etc.
Honestly the prank would have pissed me off much more had it been a shitload of pizzas. All that wasted pizza. /cry
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-24 10:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Leosin said: »
All that wasted pizza
Why not freeze the pizzas for later? :O
 Lakshmi.Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2014-04-24 11:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »

I couldn't afford to buy out a mass pizza prank.
Would be awesome if the person pulling the prank was stupid enough to pay for the pizzas too though.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-24 11:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Leosin said: »

I couldn't afford to buy out a mass pizza prank.
Would be awesome if the person pulling the prank was stupid enough to pay for the pizzas too though.
Offer to pay them with a free pizza if they give you the pizzas for free.
 Lakshmi.Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2014-04-24 11:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Offer to pay them with a free pizza if they give you the pizzas for free.

If only!
Would love to hear the conversation between the delivery driver and the manager following that transaction.
[+]
First Page 2 3