New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Red Mage enfeebling sets
Red Mage enfeebling sets
By Sieha1 2014-08-06 11:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Demonjustin said: »
Which simply goes against everything I've come to know about Enfeebling Magic, as well as these spells. Skill has no effect on potency ... don't forget to note it on the BG pages~!

You dont know very much then. Some effects can be partially resisted and result is less of an effect. Take Paralyze and most blu spells for example.

Its not unlikely that on harder content that these spells will be partially resisted and not have they maximum effect.
By Davorin 2014-08-06 12:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sieha1 said: »
Phoenix.Demonjustin said: »
Which simply goes against everything I've come to know about Enfeebling Magic, as well as these spells. Skill has no effect on potency ... don't forget to note it on the BG pages~!

You dont know very much then. Some effects can be partially resisted and result is less of an effect. Take Paralyze and most blu spells for example.

Its not unlikely that on harder content that these spells will be partially resisted and not have they maximum effect.

Sounds like you are confusing potency with duration.
 Lakshmi.Amymy
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-08-07 18:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick question. I cant find the answer anywhere yet.
Do we merit earth and wind accuracy for red mage? and slow 2 dia 3 and paralyze 2?

Thanks in advance
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-08-07 19:49:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Merit whatever you want. You DO know what enfeebles you use most often, which enfeebles are most important and which element associates with which enfeebles, right?
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2014-08-07 19:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Amymy said: »
Quick question. I cant find the answer anywhere yet.
Do we merit earth and wind accuracy for red mage? and slow 2 dia 3 and paralyze 2?

Thanks in advance

It depends on where you want to excel. Everyone will most likely give you some varying opinions.

Ice accuracy is good for Paralyze II/Bind

Wind accuracy is good for Silence/Gravity II

Earth Accuracy is good for Slow II

Convert merits have validity for solo mostly, but aren't horrible to have in general if you feel they would help you.

Personally I like to steer my RDM more towards enfeebling.

I have 5/5 in Ice Accuracy and 5/5 in Wind Accuracy, landing Silence on some mobs can be very helpful, and I feel Paralyze II is a very uner-rated spell.

As far as Tier 2 merits, I have 3/5 in Dia III, with only 1 merit it only lasts 30 seconds. 36 seconds with the Relic Head augment.

But at 3/5 it last 1 minute and 48 seconds with the relic head augment. Which I find very helpful since I don't have to babysit Dia III as much and focus on other spells more, which RDM has plenty of.

I also have 5/5 in Paralyze II
1 in Blind II
1 in Slow II

Bio III is really only worth is for solo kiting, and Phalanx II isn't really worth doing unless you planning on going at least 4/5 or 5/5, and even have 5/5 it's not much more powerful than normal Phalanx. You just get to cast it on other people. Which if you really wanna do that, you could just /sch and Ascession normal Phalanx.

That's my personal opinion about RDM merits, my two cents.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-07 19:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Used to be earth and ice for para and slow. Distract is ice, frazzle is dark. Group 2 is pretty variable, but you'll want at least a couple in para 2, slow 2, and dia 3.
 Lakshmi.Amymy
Server: Lakshmi
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-08-07 20:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks so much. lots of good info
 Odin.Shaggnix
user: shagg
By Odin.Shaggnix 2014-08-13 11:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

seen a few enfeeb sets with different bodies. atrophy +1 vs empy +2, atrophy gets you 17 enfeeb skill and 21 MND vs empy +2s 10% potency bonus. assuming i should use empy +2 when Macc isn't an issue? Even if dMND isn't capped, the 10% potency would outweigh the difference 21 MND would make on slow or para, right?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-13 11:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ischemia Chausible is a solid accuracy body. On 119 content, AF3+2 is going to be your best option for potency based enfeebles as long as you can land them with it, but for high end stuff, Ischemia is probably your better option. AF3+2's potency boost exceeds what you can get with capped dMND, but I don't know what value is needed for it to outweigh MND in uncapped scenarios.
 Odin.Shaggnix
user: shagg
By Odin.Shaggnix 2014-08-13 11:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Slow II with 5 merits ranges approximately between ~27.35% (0 dMND) to ~39.06% at 75 dMND.

so 75 mnd gets you ~12% potency. Thing is, how is it calculated?

With capped dMND, will af3+2 put me at 49% slow (+10%), or ~43% (110% of 39%). Assuming its all linear, its about 6 MND to 1% potency. So the increase of ~4% can be mirrored with an increase of 24 MND, which makes it close enough that you'd probably prefer the additional skill over .5% potency. In this case it seems you only want to use af3+2 if you're at/near the dMND cap, and atrophy/ischemia if the additional MND doesn't put you over the cap

however if its a straight up additional 10%, 10% for 21 mnd seems like a deal assuming you aren't getting resisted.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-13 11:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

being that it's potency is multiplicative with saboteur, it seems like it should be +10% of your potency after dMND, rather than adding a straight 10% to the effect. I would be really shocked if it added 10% slow.