Colorado Deaths Stoke Worries About Pot Edibles

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Colorado deaths stoke worries about pot edibles
Colorado deaths stoke worries about pot edibles
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-20 10:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
I'm willing to be more people die from accidental iron poisoning by eating too many flintstones vitamins. Just stick a barely-legible warning label on it and be done with it.

Don't even joke about this. In my youth, some of my first Wile E. Cayote schemes involved devouring all the Flintstones tablets my parents would hide from me. Damn you Fred, you taste like a delicious combination of grapes and rocks.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-20 10:23:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Any examples that come to mind? I am genuinely curious on this claim. Not that I doubt it, but just wondering what specific incidents you are thinking of.
Etymology of the word "assassin": "hashish-user," referring to a radical group of Ismaili Muslims who got high on hashish before executing rivals. Cold-blooded killers don't need a heavy dose of intoxicants to do their job.

I won't say the hash drove them to do it, but alcohol never drives anyone to do anything, either, in spite of being definitively linked to thousands and thousands of murders, rapes, and stolen traffic cones.

Since it is a mild depressant, it won't have the track record that a stimulant (e.g., cocaine) has and since it is illegal it neither has the widespread penetration nor the high probability of being reported to police that attends alcohol (another depressant), but the notion that no harm has ever come from a psychoactive of any kind is utterly ridiculous. If absolutely nothing else, there are car accidents and fatalities that were caused by marijuana use as it depresses reaction speed and attentiveness.
So that's a negative on that then.
 Asura.Melbufrauma
Server: Asura
By Asura.Melbufrauma 2014-04-20 10:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sorce said: »
Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
The funny thing is ... cannabis doesn't give you hallucinations. That's an entirely different type of substance. Most likely they are dealing with product contamination, something else mixed with the THC additive. THC makes you really slow, you can't get frantic or twitchy under it's effects, you don't "suddenly" do anything lol.

Um bro THC is a mild hallucinogen, you should prolly get your facts straight before making false claims. in order to get to this state u have to smoke about an ounce in less then an hour, but through edibles u can obtain this in 1-2 "snacks" im not sure who told u otherwise or if your just making an assumption but the plant Cannabis Sativa, which is what Marijuana is produced from is very much a hallucinogen just like LSD or "shrooms" are. Again u should check your sources before providing false statements that make no sense what so ever.

EDIT: a little more expansion on the statements weed has an adverse effect on your short-term memory, thats it, it might make u slow but in MOST cases it enhances ones ability to finish the task at hand. For example when i used to smoke i would get more into my work or anything that i was doing, as do MOST of the other people that i talk to that currently smoke. i will discourage large intakes of the drug THC because it can potently kill u in very very large doses or cause u to have hallucinations and kill others or something stupid, but so will alcohol caffeine nicotine and or any other drug that on or off the market in today's society.... hell walking down the street can kill u faster then pot will.

There has never been a documented human fatality solely from overdosing on tetrahydrocannabinol or cannabis in its natural form. It would take a 170lb man 960 capsules infused intravenously to achieve this high a dose. So unless people are shooting this stuff up by the needle full, you are not going to die from THC.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-04-20 10:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Any examples that come to mind? I am genuinely curious on this claim. Not that I doubt it, but just wondering what specific incidents you are thinking of.
Etymology of the word "assassin": "hashish-user," referring to a radical group of Ismaili Muslims who got high on hashish before executing rivals. Cold-blooded killers don't need a heavy dose of intoxicants to do their job.

I won't say the hash drove them to do it, but alcohol never drives anyone to do anything, either, in spite of being definitively linked to thousands and thousands of murders, rapes, and stolen traffic cones.

Since it is a mild depressant, it won't have the track record that a stimulant (e.g., cocaine) has and since it is illegal it neither has the widespread penetration nor the high probability of being reported to police that attends alcohol (another depressant), but the notion that no harm has ever come from a psychoactive of any kind is utterly ridiculous. If absolutely nothing else, there are car accidents and fatalities that were caused by marijuana use as it depresses reaction speed and attentiveness.

No, just f*cking no. Traffic accidents where only THC intoxication was involved actually have a lower fatality rate then non-intoxicated driving accidents. This is primary due to them having less kinetic force when the accident happened, they are driving too slow. Now if you mix alcohol intoxication then the driver is going to end up driving much faster then normal.

This is one of those "lost in the details of statistics" claims where the "higher traffic accidents" is instantly substituted with "higher fatalities" due to everyone being familiar with alcohol involved accidents.

There has never been a single fatality attributed to THC intoxication, the closest was undetected hearth problems being magnified by two individuals and possibly a third (Gemma Moss). THC cause's elevated heart rate (what is responsible for anxiety in first time users) which if you have a heart condition could be problematic.

http://time.com/10372/marijuana-deaths-german-study/

What you find is that anti-legalization groups will take statistical date, then twist it around. The driving fatalities that were associated with MJ all had Alcohol involved. I've never been able to find a traffic fatality where the responsible party was only under the influence of THC.

So in short, THC will impair driving skills and cause slower reactions, it also cause's the driver to slow way the f*ck down. The combination of those two effects is an increase in accidents, but a decrease in fatality of the accidents. Alcohol impairs driving skills in the same way but the driver is unaware of the effects and ends up driving faster. The result is higher accident rates for alcohol intoxication and those accidents have higher fatality rates. Combining THC and Alcohol gives you the same result as Alcohol intoxication, slower reaction time and faster speeds. In all cases driving under the influence of MJ should be treated no differently then driving under the influence of alcohol or prescription medication.

I've really started to question, have any of you smoked or used MJ before?
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2014-04-20 11:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Somebody somewhere thinks that this:

Quote:
"It's sad that people are going to have to be convinced with the blood of Coloradans."

is supported by this:
Quote:
Wyoming college student Levy Thamba Pongi, who traveled to Denver with friends....

Authorities have not formally linked the shooting death of Kristine Kirk, 44, to consumption of marijuana by her husband.

[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-20 11:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone smoked a joint once, and the universe is heading for an ultimate entropic heat death. Coincidence? I think not.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-20 12:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
This is one of those "lost in the details of statistics" claims where the "higher traffic accidents" is instantly substituted with "higher fatalities" due to everyone being familiar with alcohol involved accidents.
Except that is not remotely what I said.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-20 12:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The amount of sheer stupidity in this statement is mind boggling.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-20 12:16:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leave it to a discussion about pot legalization and consequences to bring out the lulz.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-20 12:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leave it to a discussion about pot legalization and consequences to bring out the lulz.
I don't even have any interest in the stuff, that's the sad part.

I think smoking is idiotic and I'm glad I've never participated in it, for any substance.

But what others do in their own homes without children being around, I don't give a ***.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-20 12:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

I think smoking is idiotic and I'm glad I've never participated in it, for any substance.

But what others do in their own homes without children being around, I don't give a ***.
What about pregnant women who are around husbands that smoke pot in house?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-20 12:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Even with it illegal here, you know how many ppl are using that crap right next to there babies/children?
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-20 12:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, related note to all you lovely potheads out there:

Can I fail a random drug test if I'm exposed to second-hand marijuana smoke?
By Jetackuu 2014-04-20 12:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

What about pregnant women who are around husbands that smoke pot in house?
Odin.Godofgods said: »

Even with it illegal here, you know how many ppl are using that crap right next to there babies/children?

I shouldn't even have to get into how stupid it is to smoke around one who's pregnant or if you're pregnant.

Yes, I realize there's a lot of stupid people, there's a lot of people who smoke with children in the car as well, and as far as I'm concerned they should all be arrested.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-20 12:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, related note to all you lovely potheads out there:

Can I fail a random drug test if I'm exposed to second-hand marijuana smoke?
No.

I shouldn't even have to get into how stupid it is to smoke around one who's pregnant or if you're pregnant.

Yes, I realize there's a lot of stupid people, there's a lot of people who smoke with children in the car as well, and as far as I'm concerned they should all be arrested.
Technically it will have no effect. Even still I was a little puzzled when I went to visit an old buddy and he was just fine doing it in the same room. Felt like we should have gone outside or something, but not my house or anything.

Might just be a Jersey thing though to not give a ***either way.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-20 12:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Might just be a Jersey thing though to not give a ***either way.

only about ones self.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-20 13:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Technically it will have no effect.

Technically, your wrong. At least for me.
Theirs no doubt that a physical disability can be life changing. But the physical reactions i get from second hand smoke, and what has resulted from that, make my disability look like a meager joke.

I developed severe allergic reactions to second hand smoke several years back. I wont get into the reaction itself because it rly quite disgusting. But the smoke also rendered me massively vulnerable to these reactions from all sorts of other stimuli. Things im allergic to, things im not allergic to, even something like the vibration from blowing your nose can trigger a reaction. I also wake up every single day with a version of this reaction. I have to be up at least 2hs early to TRY and deal with it before i can begin to do anything else. - And im not talking a typical seasonal allergy type thing you see all the time. I'm talking highly painful and bloody reactions. The kind that if it hits; your day is over, end of story. Sometimes even longer. I would deal with my disability every day over dealing with this disaster every day.

And while most ppl never hear about things like this, it is out there. And some ppl are much worse then me. Such as catching a whiff of second hand sends them rushing to the hospital ER.

So yea.. second hand is not as innocent as one might think.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-20 13:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

And I thought my allergy to marijuana was acute. It makes me want to puke my guts out and crack my skull again, but it doesn't actually result in blood.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-20 13:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Technically it will have no effect.

Technically, your wrong. At least for me.
Theirs no doubt that a physical disability can be life changing. But the physical reactions i get from second hand smoke, and what has resulted from that, make my disability look like a meager joke.

I developed severe allergic reactions to second hand smoke several years back. I wont get into the reaction itself because it rly quite disgusting. But the smoke also rendered me massively vulnerable to these reactions from all sorts of other stimuli. Things im allergic to, things im not allergic to, even something like the vibration from blowing your nose can trigger a reaction. I also wake up every single day with a version of this reaction. I have to be up at least 2hs early to TRY and deal with it before i can begin to do anything else. - And im not talking a typical seasonal allergy type thing you see all the time. I'm talking highly painful and bloody reactions. The kind that if it hits; your day is over, end of story. Sometimes even longer. I would deal with my disability every day over dealing with this disaster every day.

And while most ppl never hear about things like this, it is out there. And some ppl are much worse then me. Such as catching a whiff of second hand sends them rushing to the hospital ER.

So yea.. second hand is not as innocent as one might think.
I meant in regards to absorption of THC. But for the reasons you mentioned, maybe not as severe, personally I never felt the need to smoke around people who do not like smoke, regardless if it's pot, cigarettes, crack, or whatever kids are lighting up these days.

Just common curtsey at least. Bars have been tolerable since the bans.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-20 14:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Happy 4/20 Easter!
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-04-20 14:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

What I've learned from FFXIAH today is that pot is totally and completely harmless, while chocolate milk is weaponized sugar.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-20 15:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »
What I've learned from FFXIAH today is that pot is totally and completely harmless, while chocolate milk is weaponized sugar.
Liberal propaganda at its finest, eh?
By Jetackuu 2014-04-20 15:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

If one ingests it instead of smokes it, it more or less is harmless, about as harmless as milk.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-20 15:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If one ingests it instead of smokes it, it more or less is harmless, about as harmless as milk.
That begs the question; How harmless is milk?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-20 15:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Souvenir shirt from city of Weed, Calif., causes stir at school
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-20 16:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

That begs the question; How harmless is milk?

But what if you could smoke chocolate milk?
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-20 16:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »

may be the greatest thing ive heard on here in a very long time'
[+]
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2014-04-20 16:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

All the dispensaries I've visited here in Oregon have labels on all their edibles, whether they are required to or not is a different question. Labels say something along the lines of this:

"WARNING: MEDICINAL PRODUCT - KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN"
Dosage varies by tolerance. OMMP Only. - Contains: THC: 41mg / CBD: <1mg

Of course the THC/CBD levels vary but it still gives you a basic warning label. I used to smoke all day everyday socially and when I ate edibles then, they wouldn't do much, but I would feel them slightly as they are a more 'body, medicated' feeling. Now that I don't smoke socially, and only when I actually 'need' it, I can eat those same edibles and not even need to smoke/vaporize.

People that don't follow labels and take matters into their own hands on how much they can handle are more or less asking for whatever they get. There's a reason we have things such as these labels.. Just like when I drink, I know it takes my body a bit to break down everything and for the alcohol to enter my bloodstream. Hence why I don't throw back shot after shot, I drink a few beers, and I pace myself. Same reason you don't eat <1000mg of THC in one sitting. I'm sure even myself would have a very very relaxing day if I were to do this so I can only imagine what it would do to someone with a very very low tolerance. One thing I DO know, is that it definitely wouldn't make someone want to immediately jump up and perform a certain activity as you have to at some point in time actually get up off your *** after said ingestion.

Sounds to me like anti-pot people will always find a way, they do have a point about introducing warning labels if they haven't already, but it just sounds like they are pointing the blame at marijuana because people will buy into it without research.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-20 17:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

warning labels are pretty worthless tho. just ask the surgeon general'
[+]
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2014-04-20 17:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Useless, probably, but at least in the end they can't say... wait.. so I'm not supposed to take 100 of these, I'm only supposed to take half of one? But then at that point they'll probably move onto say that they never attended school and never learned to read.