How Many Old Schooler's Are Left?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How many old schooler's are left?
How many old schooler's are left?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-04-19 00:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Joined prior to the NA launch, was an alt on my Korean friends account, had to have him translate all the Japanese lol. Later on got the NA PC FFXI + RoTZ bundle and started my own account. Isn't there a moogle or something that can tell you when your character was made?
 Siren.Ares
Server: Siren
user: Ares
By Siren.Ares 2014-04-19 01:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You can see when you registered the game via SE account, List subscriptions, options list under ffxi. july 2014
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2014-04-19 02:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

That might be a difference to stipulate.

Not only did I start at NA release, but I'm playing the same character :O

Carbuncle.Bechynu said: »
how many people who sucked at ffxi in 2003 still suck at ffxi in 2014
<-- This guy
 Carbuncle.Hamburgerz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Dandawgs
By Carbuncle.Hamburgerz 2014-04-19 02:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Started Sept of 04'. The longest break I took was maybe 4 months.

My first job to 75 was Summoner, back before they increased exp. It was a major grind to 75 back then. Ahh the memories.

*edited start date, looked on SE account.
 Odin.Rendra
Server: Odin
user: Rendra
By Odin.Rendra 2014-04-19 02:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

June 10th 2004, Started on PC while my cousin played on the PS2... Just like the other guy that posted... I'm still here and my cousin just couldn't get into the online aspect of an RPG so he quit shortly after.
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
Server: Bismarck
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2014-04-19 03:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Started playing Oct 8, 2003. First job leveled was BLM when it was actually 6 man party capable. I remember HATING NIN back then because it didn't have the enmity tools available to really tank, so even waiting for most of the mobs HP to be gone, I'd still pull hate. Now? I still hate NIN, still love my BLM, but have since changed from magical ranged damage to my RNG ranged damage.
 Quetzalcoatl.Stik
Guildwork Premium
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: hectordc5
By Quetzalcoatl.Stik 2014-04-19 03:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

March 24 2004 Ps2 went to PC when ps2 would freeze lock up Voidwatch In the Past
By Analos 2014-04-19 03:19:24
Link | Quote | Reply

http://youtu.be/uSBBBzMCcy4
 Sylph.Feary
Server: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2014-04-19 03:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
I started about two months after NA launch. The only "break" I've ever taken was during the tsunami aftermath.

...kinda terrible, really.

same here.
By Kooljack 2014-04-19 03:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

lawls, obviously 90% of the playerbase will be old school for a MMORPG
 Bahamut.Malothar
Server: Bahamut
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2014-04-19 04:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Greyfawkz said: »
Ps2 release, 3 year break. I'll quit when my wife kills me or servers shut down this time!

You get 1/7 days a week to play. Maybe she hasn't quite killed you yet, but you're not far from it. D:

OT: Started Mid-September of 2003, played straight all the way til 1 week before WotG came out. Got hacked and banned for RMT activity within a short span of time, and even though the account was in recovery steps, they still banned it and wouldn't undo it. Moved on in life, MMOs, etc. But I saw an ad for SoA in November 2011, and the memories of the game, the people I played with, etc, was all just too much to say no. Been back ever since.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dazusu
Server: Leviathan
user: Dazusu
By Leviathan.Dazusu 2014-04-19 04:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kenesu said: »
Thought I would ask how many people are still playing FFXI that start on or near the launch date?

March 2004.
 Quetzalcoatl.Gencay
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gencay
By Quetzalcoatl.Gencay 2014-04-19 04:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

started december 2003 or jan 2004 been so long, i remember trying to find my way out of port sandy xD but yeah took a few minor breaks here and there. Though 2014 and i am still here will prob be here till servers close.
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2014-04-19 05:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Started in 8th grade, 2004. ECO WARRIOR and GARRISON ftw!
[+]
By Treizekordero 2014-04-19 05:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Started on PC back in May 2004.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-19 05:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

December 2005, just a few months before AU came out.
 Sylph.Xodia
Server: Sylph
user: Xodia
By Sylph.Xodia 2014-04-19 05:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

joined during the xbox 360 beta 05/06, have since moved to pc :D
 Bahamut.Aelissa
user: Ivinora
By Bahamut.Aelissa 2014-04-19 06:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

started playing end august 2005 (I had a few days left before i had to go back to school) when i was 16 and am now 25 had a few breaks inbetween though all my breaks counting should have made me lose about 2 years of that... Also in those 7 years i played this game I'm upto character 5 :x (i really really like to repeat the storylines in this game ._. ...)
 Bismarck.Siggymund
Premium
user: Sigmund
By Bismarck.Siggymund 2014-04-19 07:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I started in Dec,2003. The same character, just lost my original name upon the server merge of Seraph to Bismarck... I play very little now, but still enjoy the few friends that I have in game. :)
 Asura.Prophecyy
Server: Asura
By Asura.Prophecyy 2014-04-19 07:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

December 2003-2006 on pandemonium. Took a break for a few years. Returned 2010-present on asura.
 Bahamut.Demoncard
user: Demoncard
By Bahamut.Demoncard 2014-04-19 07:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm so old school, they're thinking about tearing me down and building a car park in my place.

/thread
 Bismarck.Oldmancebi
By Bismarck.Oldmancebi 2014-04-19 08:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Started when Xbox Beta launched and final release for European Xbox.

Took a long break after wotg and add-on releases because I kinda got sick of the content / exping and a lot of people I knew left because of the mass banning for the Salvage duplicate exploit.

Came back on the release of Scars of Abyssea and learnt of the changes to Dynamis. Came back determined to upgrade Dynamis Sword into Excalibur!

I still use 360 for bazzar, but use PC mainly and rarely JPN PS3 should Xbox die again ><.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-04-19 08:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Feary said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
I started about two months after NA launch. The only "break" I've ever taken was during the tsunami aftermath.

...kinda terrible, really.

same here.

Same, as far as the only break was forced by SE
 Bismarck.Aselin
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-04-19 09:38:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Oldmancebi said: »
Started when Xbox Beta launched and final release for European Xbox.

Took a long break after wotg and add-on releases because I kinda got sick of the content / exping and a lot of people I knew left because of the mass banning for the Salvage duplicate exploit.

Came back on the release of Scars of Abyssea and learnt of the changes to Dynamis. Came back determined to upgrade Dynamis Sword into Excalibur!

I still use 360 for bazzar, but use PC mainly and rarely JPN PS3 should Xbox die again ><.
I remember that. Bismarck lost a good number of old school players and it brought upon the end of a lot of endgame/HNM Linkshells on the server. So many players raged quit or raged at Square-Enix since they also banned people just by associating with or being in the same group as those who used the dupe hack. Our largest drop off of player population afterwards happened around FFXIV v1.0 and more during FFXIV v2.0 release-- which was nearly half the server.

Surprisingly, several old school players have come back to Bismarck with a few have already transferred off and moved to other servers.

Yeah, when I reactivated, I'm hoping to finish my Relic Horn into Gjallarhon, and finish on gearing up my other jobs. Amazing how much time has passed by. You meet players who were still halfway through high school or just starting college when you started playing FFXI. Fast forward ten years and many are married, have children, and working and still playing this game. That's a lot of staying power for an old game whose per server population has been dropping steadily each year as newer MMOs come onto the market or real life starts rearing its ugly head into players' lives.

Then, you ask yourself: Where will you be in 10 years? Will you still be playing this?
 Lakshmi.Kanachan
Server: Lakshmi
user: Kanachan
By Lakshmi.Kanachan 2014-04-19 11:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Started as a Junior and rode the train through college.

[+]
By Asura.Wonderousgoat 2014-04-19 11:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Ares said: »
You can see when you registered the game via SE account, List subscriptions, options list under ffxi. july 2014
You did it marty!

This guy is from the future!
By Asura.Wonderousgoat 2014-04-19 11:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

March 25, 2005
 Phoenix.Devdas
Server: Phoenix
user: Devdas
By Phoenix.Devdas 2014-04-19 12:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Started back when CoP had just come out. Took a few breaks here and there but still going strong today.
[+]
 Asura.Dillinger
user: dillinger
By Asura.Dillinger 2014-04-19 12:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Its actually really weird how I got started with FFXI. It was my first MMO, and I was absolutely obsessed with FF games. I was in 7th grade at the time and a huge console gamer. I remember shitting myself when I finally got to play Wind Waker. Still remember the first time I loaded it on my gamecube.

I remember getting some magazine that was talking about FFXI coming to the PS2 and there being some drawing of a PSP concept associated with it. I went online and found out more about it and went and got it for PC shortly after it came out. Funny thing is that the family desktop at the time didn't even have a graphics card good enough to run FFXI. So I just played tetra master for a month or two until Christmas in 2004 when my parents got us a new desktop. I could finally play, AND at a whole 30 FPS, which would drop to 10 FPS whenever I was in a zone with a weather effect active.

I probably remade my character about 10 times for some reason, I could never decide what race I wanted to play as. I played through the rest of the year and only made it to level 63 as PLD, and ~30-40 on WAR/NIN/maybe one or two other jobs.

Unfortunately, I quit for WoW when it came out at the end of 2004. While I'm definitely glad I played WoW during vanilla and BC, I do regret having quit FFXI for so long because I know I missed some of the best eras of the game. I didn't come back to FFXI until late 2009 when I made a new character, but Fairy was super empty and I could never find a dunes party so I stopped pretty quickly. I started playing again heavily post abyssea for a while and have been off and on for a month or so ever since.

Oddly enough, most of the people I was in a LS with still play on Sylph, though I haven't talked to them at all since quitting in 2004. Hard to believe this is all almost a decade ago now.