users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » non iLvl QA/TA/DA gear
non iLvl QA/TA/DA gear
 Fenrir.Phatstackodax
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Phatstackodax 2014-04-13 10:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Does any of this gear still have relevancy? or is it time to store it all due to level differences and accuracy related issues.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taberifx
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Taberif
By Quetzalcoatl.Taberifx 2014-04-13 10:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

yes
If you can figure out your ACC needed for Cap on whatever you're fighting then It's possible that it can be better for DPS

As far as iLvl just swap that into a hybrid dt/dps set if you pull hate or are about to take dmg
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-04-13 10:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Phatstackodax said: »
Does any of this gear still have relevancy? or is it time to store it all due to level differences and accuracy related issues.

Thaumas Coat is still the Best DPS piece and is 99, just there is a preference for items with higher defense now due to the 1 hit culture SE introduced.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-04-13 11:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of it will have better DPS if it has multi-hit on it (Ares legs I'm looking at you). The problem is that NM's have such ridiculous offensive stats that you need the extra defensive stats on all your primary armor slots to survive. Wearing non-iLevel gear is just asking to take a 2000+ damage attack to the face.
[+]
 Asura.Tawhoya
Server: Asura
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2014-04-13 14:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »

Thaumas Coat is still the Best DPS piece and is 99, just there is a preference for items with higher defense now due to the 1 hit culture SE introduced.

Drk can't wear Thaumas gear.
 Asura.Gippali
user: Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-04-13 15:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tawhoya said: »
Cerberus.Conagh said: »

Drk can't wear Thaumas gear.

Correct, but the Pak(+1)/Xaddi argument is along the same line.
[+]
 Fenrir.Phatstackodax
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Phatstackodax 2014-04-13 22:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks for the responses. this will change my AM sets also...
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-13 22:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Would Enif Corazza be worth it for DRK if defensive stats are irrelevant?
 Asura.Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-04-14 03:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolutely! Enif was/is a great piece for AM sets. Sadly, defensive stats are relevant and most AM sets (optimal DPS wise) use enif coupled with Are's legs. Those two pieces are lacking in the survival area.
 Carbuncle.Jysthea
Server: Carbuncle
user: Jysthea
By Carbuncle.Jysthea 2014-04-14 04:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Enif literally offers nothing of any value.

Never did tbqh. Never needed the acc from it, it's like wearing mala on your body... losing your body slot.

Kinda silly I always thought, but hey, to each their own.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-04-14 04:54:48
Link | Quote | Reply

When you are being super buffed and atk, acc, and haste no longer matter, the best gear would be multi-attack with an x-hit build. Those circumstances were most of DRKs existence.
[+]
 Asura.Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-04-14 10:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Jysthea said: »
Enif literally offers nothing of any value.

Never did tbqh. Never needed the acc from it, it's like wearing mala on your body... losing your body slot.

Kinda silly I always thought, but hey, to each their own.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Should just stop using multi Attack gear altogether then.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Jysthea
Server: Carbuncle
user: Jysthea
By Carbuncle.Jysthea 2014-04-14 11:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

No, but that particular piece, is trash.
[+]
 Asura.Flufferkins
By Asura.Flufferkins 2014-04-14 13:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Gippali said: »

I'm sorry but I have to come to defense with just a bit of reason. This comment is disingenuous at best. He called out Enif which for it's time at 99 really had no supporting stats besides the milti. Acc wasn't needed anywhere close to what it is now.

====================================================================

To add to the thread:

The argument about non-ilv stuff I think relies too focused on paper and not in practice. Yeah you shouldn't need defense if the mob isn't targeting you. If you're doing enough damage... it's going to look your way. See the problem there? The dps difference between the sets is negligible. (specifically Xaddi/Pak.) At the furthest difference in mote's spreadsheets. I was able to get about a 20dps difference in favor of pak. In real world parse going from Pak to Xaddi. I've seen no measurable difference in output besides my own survivability. Now that almost everything worth a ***has AoE, cone and splash damage the little bit of potential damage you're putting out isn't making the group more efficient (in most cases.). You're sacrificing more work for your healer in exchange. (For some groups that works too, but if you know the difference. you're probably not looking for advice in AH threads.)

Lastly: Muti attack brings up DPS by being worn over time since it's not present in every attack round. If you're taking it off to swap into PDT then you're stifling the returns. Any time you have to drop into a hybrid set you easily lose 1/3rd output for that time. Staying in it any longer than need be will negate overall any benefit they had in the first place. A few seconds longer than you need to be in it here or there adds up over the span of say a Delve run. Unless you absolutely need to be in a PDT set you shouldn't be in it. If you're still wearing a lot of lv99-109 gear, you're just making situations more lethal then they need to be.

Not a blanket for every situation obviously, but for 98% of them. This is what you should be doing. If you know those other 2% of times, Again; you're not reading AH for advice.
 Asura.Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-04-14 15:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Flufferkins said: »
Asura.Gippali said: »

I'm sorry but I have to come to defense with just a bit of reason. This comment is disingenuous at best. He called out Enif which for it's time at 99 really had no supporting stats besides the milti. Acc wasn't needed anywhere close to what it is now.

====================================================================

To add to the thread:

The argument about non-ilv stuff I think relies too focused on paper and not in practice. Yeah you shouldn't need defense if the mob isn't targeting you. If you're doing enough damage... it's going to look your way. See the problem there? The dps difference between the sets is negligible. (specifically Xaddi/Pak.) At the furthest difference in mote's spreadsheets. I was able to get about a 20dps difference in favor of pak. In real world parse going from Pak to Xaddi. I've seen no measurable difference in output besides my own survivability. Now that almost everything worth a ***has AoE, cone and splash damage the little bit of potential damage you're putting out isn't making the group more efficient (in most cases.). You're sacrificing more work for your healer in exchange. (For some groups that works too, but if you know the difference. you're probably not looking for advice in AH threads.)

Lastly: Muti attack brings up DPS by being worn over time since it's not present in every attack round. If you're taking it off to swap into PDT then you're stifling the returns. Any time you have to drop into a hybrid set you easily lose 1/3rd output for that time. Staying in it any longer than need be will negate overall any benefit they had in the first place. A few seconds longer than you need to be in it here or there adds up over the span of say a Delve run. Unless you absolutely need to be in a PDT set you shouldn't be in it. If you're still wearing a lot of lv99-109 gear, you're just making situations more lethal then they need to be.

Not a blanket for every situation obviously, but for 98% of them. This is what you should be doing. If you know those other 2% of times, Again; you're not reading AH for advice.

Good way to sum it up. I would say that's a pretty good blanket for most situations currently.

However, I just think it's silly to say that this specific piece never had a place because it did. WAS a great piece for high buff/brava zergs and other situations like that. WAS a good piece for Apoc AM sets. current state of the game? On fodder maybe, but on anything that matters probably not. I don't currently use Enif because I care more about surviving and being less of an MP sponge.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-04-14 18:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
He called out Enif which for it's time at 99 really had no supporting stats besides the milti. Acc wasn't needed anywhere close to what it is now.

And multi-attack was the best stat possible to have due to super buffs from BRD's and COR's. You didn't need attack, acc or much haste because of the amount you got from external sources, and that's before including Apoc users. At that time, Enif was the best body piece because you were getting nothing else from your body slot anyway.

Of course now we need defense to stay alive and SE's been giving difficult fights ridiculous amounts of evasion / defense.
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-04-14 18:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
When you are being super buffed and atk, acc, and haste no longer matter, the best gear would be multi-attack with an x-hit build. Those circumstances were most of DRKs existence.

Except when drk needed store tp from armada wich has almost always been the case?
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-04-15 09:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ccl said: »

Except when drk needed store tp from armada wich has almost always been the case?

Not during Apoc AM nor on a 7-hit MA Rag build.
 Shiva.Tedril
Server: Shiva
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-24 20:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Also to add, a straight "-dt set" is a waste of your time these days. Swapping from idle to -dt pure is silly best bet is to pick a happy medium only thing DDs need to worry about is your scale of dps modifiers (att,acc,xhit,stp). Then ask yourself am I gonna live in this? Only place for Dt set is if trying to recover from near party wipe. I would reccomend checking out this link, its from sam but it is a helpful concept when thinking of sets. Lastly, I still think mote's sets are good to look at as a reference point even if real practice isn't always the case.

Keityan's SAM Guide
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-04-25 05:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Also to add, a straight "-dt set" is a waste of your time these days. Swapping from idle to -dt pure is silly

Dumbest thing I've heard in a long time... and around here that's saying something.

You want a set that gives you as much -PDT/MDT while still having level 119 gear in your five main slots. The purpose of this set it to survive the ZOMGWTFISTHISSHIT attacks that boss NM's use, especially if your it's target.

There is a simple rule I use, if your see "red lines" around the NM then hit the "I Don't Want To Die" macro. This way you maximize your chances of surviving that 2000+ damage attack he's about to shove up your backside while you have LR active. After the attack, assuming your over 1300HP, then you can switch back to regular DD gear and keep on pimp slapping him across the face.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-04-25 06:27:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of his advice is bad; This isn't anomalous

Think happy thoughts and look the other way
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-25 16:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Also to add, a straight "-dt set" is a waste of your time these days. Swapping from idle to -dt pure is silly

Dumbest thing I've heard in a long time... and around here that's saying something.

You want a set that gives you as much -PDT/MDT while still having level 119 gear in your five main slots. The purpose of this set it to survive the ZOMGWTFISTHISSHIT attacks that boss NM's use, especially if your it's target.

There is a simple rule I use, if your see "red lines" around the NM then hit the "I Don't Want To Die" macro. This way you maximize your chances of surviving that 2000+ damage attack he's about to shove up your backside while you have LR active. After the attack, assuming your over 1300HP, then you can switch back to regular DD gear and keep on pimp slapping him across the face.
This makes no sense, you can cap dt so easy now and also remember that def is extremely useful unlike it use to be in the lower numbers. What I'm saying is you can make a gear set that is a hybrid that has plenty of dt and what not to swap in as needed.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-25 17:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree it's important to TP in a set you aren't afraid to take a hit in, and having a few defensive sets based on situation is just common sense. You should have a hybrid TP set that's mostly high ilvl gear with enough accuracy for higher end stuff, and a full turtle set at minimum. But shying away from anything not ilvl is pretty moronic if you're a DD, especially a 2 hander with access to so many pieces with high amounts of haste and tons of multi-attack gear.
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-25 21:47:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
I agree it's important to TP in a set you aren't afraid to take a hit in, and having a few defensive sets based on situation is just common sense. You should have a hybrid TP set that's mostly high ilvl gear with enough accuracy for higher end stuff, and a full turtle set at minimum. But shying away from anything not ilvl is pretty moronic if you're a DD, especially a 2 hander with access to so many pieces with high amounts of haste and tons of multi-attack gear.
Exactly, Many times i've seen other DDs and myself outparse people with "better gear" simply because of survival. Like i said its much along the lines of that sam guide the balance of what you want in a situation. For example otronif boots aren't the ideal dps piece but is one of the first things to swap imo for a hybrid piece for mnk for me.
edit: to add to my original post, if you are swapping into your -dt set often enough to effect your dps (in that xhit is based off a percent of times you hit with it on,if you dont wear it all the time more often it will just not proc) you would be better off to not need it as much with more hybrid set.