Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-04-09 16:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Aeronx said: »
Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
As I've mentioned elsewhere, Arrogance Incarnate is not a breath attack. It's reduced and absorbed as a needles-esque(kinda-not-really) attack, and rarely does more than ~1k with Aegis on

Can't for the life of me see how it was ever determined to be breath, as it very obviously wastes people if preceded by a Dominion Slash that dispels shell

I will have to test this out to find out for sure because its really the only thing you have to worry about in this fight and if like you say you can reduce it to ~1k then that is awesome.

I fulltime my MDT set(Aegis included) during the whole fight, just because Arrogance Incarnate and Holy II are really all that's dangerous

ItemSet 320217

You can stay alive just fine getting rid of the fluffy MDB/MEVA pieces I have and keeping your capped PDT items on, but I'm too lazy to create a hybrid build for just this fight. My set keeps me at capped MDT without shell, which is handy for fights that dispel

Just be sure to cycle Reprisal and Palisade when able so your healer doesn't slap you
By aeronx 2014-04-09 17:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Aeronx said: »
As I've mentioned elsewhere, Arrogance Incarnate is not a breath attack. It's reduced and absorbed as a needles-esque(kinda-not-really) attack, and rarely does more than ~1k with Aegis on

Can't for the life of me see how it was ever determined to be breath, as it very obviously wastes people if preceded by a Dominion Slash that dispels shell

I will have to test this out to find out for sure because its really the only thing you have to worry about in this fight and if like you say you can reduce it to ~1k then that is awesome.

I fulltime my MDT set(Aegis included) during the whole fight, just because Arrogance Incarnate and Holy II are really all that's dangerous

ItemSet 320217

You can stay alive just fine getting rid of the fluffy MDB/MEVA pieces I have and keeping your capped PDT items on, but I'm too lazy to create a hybrid build for just this fight. My set keeps me at capped MDT without shell, which is handy for fights that dispel

Just be sure to cycle Reprisal and Palisade when able so your healer doesn't slap you

Hmmm interesting. Ive only ever done EV with fulltiming aegis one time and I cant remember the exact benefits, I do remember that we used 2 plds though and got the win rather easily lol. my mdt set is very similar and I like the idea of keeping mdt capped even without shell up because it is rather annoying to get dispelled and get a 800 holyII to a ws that does like 1500dmg lol.

Not sure though because if you look at it from the perspective that you are taking less spike dmg but taking more DOT from attacks because aegis's blk rate isn't that great tbh the whm might have to work just as hard to keep you alive.
 Carbuncle.Sambb
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2014-04-09 17:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I have tanked EV VD rng strat a number of times using ochain and arrogance has never killed me.

I have come close a few times (taru hp before adjustment 2100 ish dropped me to like 200-300) arrog > holy II as others have mentioned but that's using ochain.

I have aegis but really for this fight its not required as long as you have scherzo or smn earthern armour.

All you need to do is watch your songs, soon as it drops reapply scherzo. Its really not that difficult.

This also applies when im supertanking them all in DM II on difficult or above.
 Phoenix.Aeronx
Server: Phoenix
user: aeronx
By Phoenix.Aeronx 2014-04-09 17:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sambb said: »
I have tanked EV VD rng strat a number of times using ochain and arrogance has never killed me.

I have come close a few times (taru hp before adjustment 2100 ish dropped me to like 200-300) arrog > holy II as others have mentioned but that's using ochain.

I have aegis but really for this fight its not required as long as you have scherzo or smn earthern armour.

All you need to do is watch your songs, soon as it drops reapply scherzo. Its really not that difficult.

This also applies when im supertanking them all in DM II on difficult or above.

Yeah for the majority of the times I use ochain for this fight as well. like you said scherzo is the key, rarely bring a smn so don't use earthen armor.

A friend of mine has used aegis in the past to win on difficult don't know about VD so it will be interesting to test this out and see.

Im mainly interested more in flow of the battle then if you can actually win.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-04-09 18:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Well she can Incarnate to Incarnate, or Dominion to Incarnate, or any other combination of things that don't care if you have scherzo or EA up. Your millage may vary, but I prefer the path that makes it virtually impossible to die because a buff dropped at an inopportune time.

And while Aegis's physical mitigation isn't spectacular, it's hardly dangerous to use it over Ochain
 Carbuncle.Killkenny
user: Killkenny
By Carbuncle.Killkenny 2014-04-10 03:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Songs don't get dispelled by Dominion. With Scherzo up and just a brd+self cures for ochain pld, there is 0 risk of death on VD. This also has the added advantage of not spending a significant portion of the fight stunned.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-04-10 04:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Killkenny said: »
Songs don't get dispelled by Dominion. With Scherzo up and just a brd+self cures for ochain pld, there is 0 risk of death on VD. This also has the added advantage of not spending a significant portion of the fight stunned.

Something tells me there wouldn't be a thread here if this were even remotely true

And even if I did spend a significant portion of the fight stunned(I don't), it'd be mostly irrelevant. Enmity control is coming almost entirely from your rangers. Paladin actions border on completely irrelevant for fights like this
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-04-10 04:13:41
Link | Quote | Reply

She can also immediately snipe you with Holy II before or after an Incarnate, which combined will almost certainly kill you without Aegis or a lucky resist
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-04-10 04:19:34
Link | Quote | Reply

She can also immediately snipe you with Holy II before or after an Incarnate, which combined will almost certainly kill you without Aegis or a lucky resist
Had that happen before :(
 Carbuncle.Killkenny
By Carbuncle.Killkenny 2014-04-10 04:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact that someone made a thread, on a forum with a huge range players, is somehow an indication of what is or isn't possible. Please.;

I can easily survive arrogance > holy 2 without a cure between provided I was somewhere near capped.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-04-10 04:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Congratulations, but you're still presenting a poor argument

AA EV does two dangerous things, and Aegis trivializes both of them. If your super-paladin-bard-cure-combo is clearing without issues, I implore you to continue about your business as you see fit. As far as the rest of us are concerned, what you're advocating is demonstrably riskier for the sake of preventing the occasional and virtually conconsequential stun
 Carbuncle.Killkenny
By Carbuncle.Killkenny 2014-04-10 05:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Except my argument wasn't that you should use ochain over aegis. I just pointed out what is possible and an advantage of doing it that way.

Risk is relative, and with intelligent gear choices you can make it negligible using either shield.

Pot calling the kettle black as far as poor arguments go, you tried to use this thread as evidence to your point.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-04-10 05:09:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fine. I'm not going to argue over who meant what when they said x, y, or z. The point is...

With Scherzo up and just a brd+self cures for ochain pld, there is 0 risk of death on VD.

...is blatantly false, and a handful of blocked stuns cease to be advantageous outside of a bubble. Regardless of what is or isn't possible, Ochain prevents trivialities, and Aegis nearly always prevents deaths.
 Sylph.Rasibian
Server: Sylph
user: Rasibian
By Sylph.Rasibian 2014-04-10 05:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I did over 30+ VD EV as pld without smn n always swaped aegis on banish 4/banishga 3 the rest was ochain.the only danger if sherzo is off ofc is that holy2/AI or AI/holy2 that can happen back to back wich need reactive whm. for the aegis on AI i call ***, just try to solo 1 on very easy and ull figure it i guess lol
 Carbuncle.Killkenny
By Carbuncle.Killkenny 2014-04-10 05:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

In the same breath you are saying its impossible but also ignoring what is possible. It is possible and it is possible to do it with negligible risk of death. I am in no way advocating you do this without a whm, just that the margin is large enough that you can. Adding a whm obviously grants you a larger margin.

There are plenty of pld with ochain and no aegis that this could be relevant to. There are plenty of groups who've made ochain pld work for MR below 25% too.

Its actually possible to supertank 3 AAs + actually tank the one you're killing in VD DM (EV first for obvious reasons). Again this is in no way a suggestion, just reference for what is possible.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-04-10 05:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't remember if I had Scherzo up when I got slammed by the Holy 2/AI combo but I don't see why there needs to be an argument over whether you should survive it or not. Maybe Kilkenny is truthful when he says he's never had any issues, whether it's through gear, skill, luck or any combination of the 3 but by the same virtue I'm sure people have run into issues with EV as well.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-04-10 05:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

In the same breath you are saying its impossible but also ignoring what is possible. It is possible and it is possible to do it with negligible risk of death. I am in no way advocating you do this without a whm, just that the margin is large enough that you can. Adding a whm obviously grants you a larger margin.

There are plenty of pld with ochain and no aegis that this could be relevant to. There are plenty of groups who've made ochain pld work for MR below 25% too.

Its actually possible to supertank 3 AAs + actually tank the one you're killing in VD DM (EV first for obvious reasons). Again this is in no way a suggestion, just reference for what is possible.

No, I'm not, you just don't seem to be digesting what you've said.

If an Ochain PLD has scherzo on, they can die to VD EV. You claimed they cannot. That would make you incorrect.

I'm of course aware that it's possible to do this and other fights in an assortment of ways. I do so regularly. That has no barring on my correction.
 Carbuncle.Killkenny
By Carbuncle.Killkenny 2014-04-10 05:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Its got very little to do with skill during the fight, all you have to do is cure and reapply pro/shell/whatever if they get dispelled. Its about making appropriate gear choices prior and not doing dumb stuff like swapping out of DT gear for atonement or flash.

Obviously people have and do have problems with it, that was made clear. People still have problems with Delve 1.0 though, you're always going to have players struggling with content that others have on autopilot.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-04-10 05:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Rasibian said: »
I did over 30+ VD EV as pld without smn n always swaped aegis on banish 4/banishga 3 the rest was ochain.the only danger if sherzo is off ofc is that holy2/AI or AI/holy2 that can happen back to back wich need reactive whm. for the aegis on AI i call ***, just try to solo 1 on very easy and ull figure it i guess lol

I farm Divine Might VE regularly on PLD solo. I don't clear it, mind you, but I get through a handful of the Ark Angels and never die to Incarnate.
 Carbuncle.Killkenny
By Carbuncle.Killkenny 2014-04-10 05:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I'm not, you just don't seem to be digesting what you've said.

If an Ochain PLD has scherzo on, they can die to VD EV. You claimed they cannot. That would make you incorrect.

I'm of course aware that it's possible to do this and other fights in an assortment of ways. I do so regularly. That has no barring on my correction.

If you actually believe I'm stating that its impossible to die to EV with ochain on then you're being selective with your interpretation or I wasn't clear. Obviously there are still plds out there dying at even N and D.

I'm saying that its very possible to create an scenario where ochain pld's risk of death is negligible and that you don't even need a whm to do it.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-04-10 05:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You're making yourself perfectly clear now, but there was really no room for contrary interpretation beforehand. I just quoted you. You explicitly said that there was no chance of death.
 Carbuncle.Killkenny
By Carbuncle.Killkenny 2014-04-10 05:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If I was making a statement on behalf of every pld then I'd have been wrong before I even typed anything.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-04-10 06:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

can you screenshot an arrogance doing below 500 if aegis applies because i'm pretty sure it doesn't

i'm with kk, it does all of ~1000-1200 in a slight DT build with scherzo and ochain which pretty clearly indicates aegis isn't reducing it by the 3/4 it would if the full 37.5/50 was applied..
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-04-10 06:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Just have the whm toss a cure 6 to apply cureskin and it will do 0 damage anyways.

the fight us easy with an on the ball whm
 Carbuncle.Killkenny
By Carbuncle.Killkenny 2014-04-10 06:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

This just in, solaced cure 6 applies a 1000 damage cureskin.
 Sylph.Rasibian
Server: Sylph
user: Rasibian
By Sylph.Rasibian 2014-04-10 09:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

i didnt said u would die with aegis i said aegis n ochain will give the same amount of dmg eaten lol
By FaeQueenCory 2014-04-10 10:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Back the "AoE breath damage bluhbluhbluh" that this thread was originally about...

I'm pretty sure Arrogance is AoE and not conal. I've done AA EV a few times, never on PLD, but as either SMN or WHM so I've had the "down time" (mostly on SMN.... there's no such thing as being able to look at stuff that's not HP bars on WHM lol)...
And I've seen her use it on the PLD and then the MNK behind her also took damage.

But this doesn't indicate it not being breath damage.
Flying Hip Press is "breath damage"... but it's a centered AoE, much as Arrogance is. (from what I've seen.)

As for it being breath damage... I don't know. I've seen shell getting dispelled and then they'll take more damage from it. Which would make it magic damage and not breathe damage... because MDT doesn't affect breath damage.
So I don't think it's breath damage.
 Cerberus.Avalon
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-04-10 10:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
Back the "AoE breath damage bluhbluhbluh" that this thread was originally about...

I'm pretty sure Arrogance is AoE and not conal. I've done AA EV a few times, never on PLD, but as either SMN or WHM so I've had the "down time" (mostly on SMN.... there's no such thing as being able to look at stuff that's not HP bars on WHM lol)...
And I've seen her use it on the PLD and then the MNK behind her also took damage.

But this doesn't indicate it not being breath damage.
Flying Hip Press is "breath damage"... but it's a centered AoE, much as Arrogance is. (from what I've seen.)

As for it being breath damage... I don't know. I've seen shell getting dispelled and then they'll take more damage from it. Which would make it magic damage and not breathe damage... because MDT doesn't affect breath damage.
So I don't think it's breath damage.

If you've seen Arrogance Incarnate hit multiple people in an AOE then that clears up the "5 feet" question - I've just never seen it in any other capacity other than in a conal instance. Also, it doesn't dispel buffs. That annoyance gets credited to Dominion Slash.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-10 11:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of curiosity, since I haven't done any of the new Ark Angel fights and couldn't remember what Arrogance Incarnate looked like, I found a video on YouTube. It sure looks to me like it is hitting the four melee fighting her at the four cardinal directions. Take that how you will.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Cerberus.Avalon
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-04-10 11:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Out of curiosity, since I haven't done any of the new Ark Angel fights and couldn't remember what Arrogance Incarnate looked like, I found a video on YouTube. It sure looks to me like it is hitting the four melee fighting her at the four cardinal directions. Take that how you will.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Yup, at 2:15 it clearly shows the rainbow animation on everyone, so it's definitely not conal like I previously thought.