Chick-Fil-A Scandal V2.0 With Firefox CEO

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Chick-Fil-A Scandal v2.0 with Firefox CEO
Chick-Fil-A Scandal v2.0 with Firefox CEO
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-05 00:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
And thus we see the great paradox. The side that preaches tolerance the most practices it the least.

It's not a paradox. It's a double-standard lol plain and simple. See the LGBT community has access to the "minority card." The minority card entitles them to special privileges in society. Didn't you know that?

The term tolerance is complete bullsh#t. You conform to the views of a particular minority militant group or you are categorized as stupid or a bigot, or in this thread "garbage."
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-05 00:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
And thus we see the great paradox. The side that preaches tolerance the most practices it the least.

You mean what leads to bunk ideas like the 3/5ths compromise.

Again, what is the reason that we should allow bigots into government again?

Yeah, let's just create a law that bans anyone from government that the left deems to be a bigot. That doesn't sound like fascism at all.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-05 00:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice dodge and a strawman. 2pts.

Again, I'll ask real slow. Why. Should. anyone. take. bigots. opinions. into. mind? What is the argument that is supposed to make tolerate the idea of denying rights to a subsection of Americans? Lets hear it.

Do we take the concerns of tinfoil hat wielding conspiracy theorists into account when we chlorinate drinking water or print money? No. Because their arguments are ***and not worthy of anyones time other than the History channel and public access.

I guess I should extend my tolerance to every halfassed argument rather than tell the truth and demand evidence to meet a burden of proof. Right.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-05 00:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bigot apologists - ensuring that bigots everywhere don't get teh sadz.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-05 00:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

A couple reasons. One, the liberal definition of bigotry is broad and expanding with each new cause they espouse, and they expect people with common (but perhaps archaic) viewpoints to "evolve" with them. Two, the general attitude of "I can't consider your viewpoint because it's dumb" is highly destructive and stonewalling opponents just makes them want to rebel even more. You wonder why the U.S. is so divided right now? It's partially due to horrifyingly stupid attitudes that don't create an environment where people are actually willing to discuss and learn from each other.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-05 00:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

If you really want to convince the "bigots" that they're wrong, how about doing exactly what Bacon was saying? Figure out where it comes from and discuss things on a down-to-earth level. Calling people stupid and slamming legislation down their throat until they accept it may be the Democrat way, but it hardly solves the underlying problem of people misunderstanding each other.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-05 00:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

How did I misunderstand this
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I love my cat, can I marry it?
I love my two girlfriends can I marry them?
or this
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
It doesn't discriminate. You are simply incorrect on that. Gay people aren't prohibited from getting married, they just must get married to members of the opposite sex (just like the rest of us must do).

Still waiting.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-05 01:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice deflection, but horrible response to my posts as a whole.
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2014-04-05 01:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I can't consider your viewpoint because it's dumb" is highly destructive and stonewalling opponents just makes them want to rebel even more. You wonder why the U.S. is so divided right now? It's partially due to horrifyingly stupid attitudes that don't create an environment where people are actually willing to discuss and learn from each other.

http://thefederalist.com/2014/01/17/the-death-of-expertise/

The man takes after my own heart. He articulately expresses what I had been trying to say in previous threads.

Somewhere along the line people have come to believe that everyone's opinion is equally as viable. Most opinions shouldn't be given the level of attention you would give to scooping up your dogs excrement on his daily walk.

Blatant bigots shouldn't be allowed into office because their job is to serve the people, not just their constituents, and their bigotry does not allow them to carry out that function. They are unfit for office.

This should be seen as an objectively good opinion if such a thing can exist. The only question is where we draw the line on claims of bigotry.

To me, trying to pass legislation that denies any group, say homos, freedoms offered to other groups, say heteros, is a form of bigotry regardless of what your motivation is.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-05 01:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not deflection. Those were the original posts that helped start this mess.

But if you want to talk in general, I've said this before to you that I have yet to hear an argument against gay marriage that doesn't boil down to "because they're different". Am I missing something there? These ideas have been vetted and scrutinized for, what, maybe a decade now, and they have absolutely no merit whatsoever. Why should opinions that are not grounded in logic or reality or even basic human decency be considered as anything other than background noise?

Can you at least empathize with just how insulting those quoted arguments are to someone who actually is gay?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-05 01:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If you really want to convince the "bigots" that they're wrong, how about doing exactly what Bacon was saying? Figure out where it comes from and discuss things on a down-to-earth level. Calling people stupid and slamming legislation down their throat until they accept it may be the Democrat way, but it hardly solves the underlying problem of people misunderstanding each other.

Don't be daft. People have discussed this ***to death and if you're in the camp against gay marriage nothing short of YOU are going to change that idea. People can lay out the facts but only the person interpreting them can see the picture laid out.

So yes, I'll call people dumb for using childish arguments and ***logic the same way I expect to be reamed if I make comments about topics I have no *** clue about. Again, what is the strongest argument against gay marriage? The same arguments used to promote ill treatment of hispanics, asians and blacks in addition to bans interracial marriage.

-It's not right! (opinion)
-Marriage is sacred! (marriage isn't religious in nature)
-Racial purity is important! (racist ideology)
-Jesus, Allah, Vishnu et al says its wrong! (my opinion = gods opinion)
-It'll lead to people marrying animals (no dumbfucks, animals can't consent)

Ignorance shouldn't be coddled. Disliking a group of people - any group of people - because of tradition or what some book people pick and choose from anyway isn't worth of respect, its worthy of being torn to shreds for the poisonous ideal it instills. People get killed when you teach children that X minority group isn't worthy of living.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-05 01:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Calling people stupid and slamming legislation down their throat until they accept it may be the Democrat way, but it hardly solves the underlying problem of people misunderstanding each other.

You mean like all those Republican pols that want to pass a Constitutional ban on gay marriage?

Get this partisan ***out of here.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-05 01:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

If you really want to convince the "bigots" that they're wrong, how about doing exactly what Bacon was saying? Figure out where it comes from and discuss things on a down-to-earth level. Calling people stupid and slamming legislation down their throat until they accept it may be the Democrat way, but it hardly solves the underlying problem of people misunderstanding each other

You mean like conservatives (or Republicans) passing laws defining marriage as between only man and woman?

Both parties legislate....that is kind of how the political process works in the US.

A couple reasons. One, the liberal definition of bigotry is broad and expanding with each new cause they espouse, and they expect people with common (but perhaps archaic) viewpoints to "evolve" with them. Two, the general attitude of "I can't consider your viewpoint because it's dumb" is highly destructive and stonewalling opponents just makes them want to rebel even more. You wonder why the U.S. is so divided right now? It's partially due to horrifyingly stupid attitudes that don't create an environment where people are actually willing to discuss and learn from each other.

The US has been divided since its inception. I would say there is less division now compared to the 1960's and 1970's.
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2014-04-05 01:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

How dare you point out that we're not the country we never were before.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-05 01:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

And everyone just missed the point that I wasn't only talking about gay marriage. Tunnel vision mode: Activated.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-05 01:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It shouldn't matter to his job at all. Being fired for political leanings is ridiculous, although I'm aware stepping down was his decision. Even Glenn Beck has liberals on his staff. There's no reason Firefox, which isn't a political entity at all, should even care in this case.

People get fired for personal choices all the time. Personal life shouldn't matter but it has for decades.

Teachers (private and public) have to sign morality contracts. Employers review social media websites on employees and perspective employees.

There is no seperation of personal and private life in US work culture.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-05 01:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

And everyone just missed the point that I wasn't only talking about gay marriage. Tunnel vision mode: Activated.

I can point out other legislation Republicans have crammed down people's throat. They have been a big fan of morality laws.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-05 02:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

I can point out other legislation Republicans have crammed down people's throat. They have been a big fan of morality laws.

And you can't get past the fact that I took a cheap shot at Democrats when obviously Republicans have done the same thing. That's fine, nobody gets the big picture, so I expect as much.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-05 02:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

And you can't get past the fact that I took a cheap shot at Democrats when obviously Republicans have done the same thing. That's fine, nobody gets the big picture, so I expect as much.
Maybe your post is unclear if no one got "the big picture" you were trying to get at.

I'm not annoyed you took a shot at Democrats, I don't care. Partisian BS, however, annoys me. Both parties utilize the same tool you are talking about. Neither one is better than the other in terms of legislation or how they approach "solving" a problem.

Edited~
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-05 02:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

For the most part I do agree with you. I didn't say that it was necessarily the attitudes on one side alone that create the problem. In this particular thread, however, it seems to be the case. Stonewalling in the government, at least, has been a problem on both sides for years (centuries?) now.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-05 02:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Your and Bacon's point was that I was misunderstanding or not taking into account the other sides of the debate. So I ask again, within the context of this particular topic, what is it that I am misunderstanding or not accounting for?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-05 02:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Your and Bacon's point was that I was misunderstanding or not taking into account the other sides of the debate. So I ask again, within the context of this particular topic, what is it that I am misunderstanding or not accounting for?

Are we back to gay marriage again? Ask someone else. I don't have a dog in that fight, aside from maybe an argument for states' rights. I just think your attitude sucks.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-05 03:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Not all opinions are worth considering. That is the point that is being made.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-05 04:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is the thing that's being missed. It's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with you guys, I swear.

Not considering an opinion puts you in a box of limited thought. Depending on how broadly you determine "worth", this determines how much you're willing to consider.

Problem #1 - Determining that any opinion that isn't yours isn't worth considering. Congratulations, you're mentally the equivalent of a turtle.
Problem #2 - Straight up telling people that their opinion isn't worth considering destroys any hope of effectively communication and sharing ideas, because now they're on the defense. Seriously, get a job where you work in a team and tell your coworkers that their opinions are crap. Let me know how well they receive your ideas after that, no matter how good they might be.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-05 04:25:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's get back to the subject you keep bringing up, in context. From my experience, people who are against gay marriage that convert are people who know and/or observe gay people who are good influences on them and their family. Here's roughly how I see most people on the internet fighting for gay rights:

Saying the opposition's opinion isn't worth considering.
Insulting religion.
Angry tirades.
Name-calling.
etc.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-05 04:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say any opinion that isn't mine isn't worth considering. What people here have been trying to get through to you is that an opinion that can't pass basic logical scrutiny, such as those fetching posts I quoted that people are still tiptoeing around because it destroys their point, is not even worth a participant's ribbon. I'm not deaf to what you're trying to generally say. It's just, again, you're trying to make the point within the context of a topic where the counterarguments have no merit to them at all. Replace 'gay' with 'black' and there wouldn't even be a discussion here.

So will someone please *** answer me. If I am to consider respectfully every. damn. opinion. there is, where is the merit in those particular posts I've quoted? What about them makes them non-stupid or not insulting and worthy of consideration?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-05 04:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's get back to the subject you keep bringing up, in context. From my experience, people who are against gay marriage that convert are people who know and/or observe gay people who are good influences on them and their family. Here's roughly how I see most people on the internet fighting for gay rights:

Insulting religion.
Angry tirades.
Name-calling.
etc.
Cute.

Now put the anti-gay marriage arguments up to the same logical scrutiny and post your results.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-05 04:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Insulting religion.
Angry tirades.
Name-calling.
etc.
Cute.

Now put the anti-gay marriage arguments up to the same logical scrutiny and post your results.

Oh, no worries. I find most methods of the anti-gay marriage advocates to be equally revolting. Telling you about it would be preaching to the choir, though.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-05 06:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is the thing that's being missed. It's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with you guys, I swear.

Not considering an opinion puts you in a box of limited thought. Depending on how broadly you determine "worth", this determines how much you're willing to consider.

Problem #1 - Determining that any opinion that isn't yours isn't worth considering. Congratulations, you're mentally the equivalent of a turtle.
Problem #2 - Straight up telling people that their opinion isn't worth considering destroys any hope of effectively communication and sharing ideas, because now they're on the defense. Seriously, get a job where you work in a team and tell your coworkers that their opinions are crap. Let me know how well they receive your ideas after that, no matter how good they might be.
Problem #1 isn't the problem. What is being observed is not this.
Problem #2: If you have a co-worker who keeps telling another person they aren't as human, and don't deserve the same rights, that will cause far more problems.
This is a start of where the problem is. The analogy isn't similar.
It is like having a team where one of your team purposefully tries to isolate, intimidate, or otherwise directly negatively affect another member of the team. You can start by taking the other person aside, and describing what is occuring, what the impact is for the group, and what the ramifications of continuing the behavior are. On the other hand, you can remove either member of the team, but that doen't actually solve the problem, it just masks/mitigates it.

We're beyond the point of pulling someone aside to inform them of why their behavior or actions are problematic, and at the point of firing the person.

You can only be reasonable if both parties listen to reason.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-05 06:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

This whole "Our actions are justifiable because the other guys are equally as bad or worse than us" nonsense is just getting old. Own up to your own problems and quit assuming I'm disregarding the stupidity on either side.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11