Chick-Fil-A Scandal V2.0 With Firefox CEO

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Chick-Fil-A Scandal v2.0 with Firefox CEO
Chick-Fil-A Scandal v2.0 with Firefox CEO
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-01 17:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

OkCupid protests Firefox over CEO's anti-same-sex marriage donation

Quote:
CNN) -- Dating site OkCupid is calling for its members to ditch Firefox and use another browser to search for love. The company is protesting Mozilla's new CEO, Brendan Eich, who supported an anti-same-sex marriage campaign. Firefox is owned by Mozilla.

When OkCupid members navigate to the site on a Firefox browser, they are met with a message encouraging them to use an alternative browser to access the site, including Google Chrome, Opera, Safari and the amusingly misspelled Internet Exploder.

"Those who seek to deny love and instead enforce misery, shame and frustration are our enemies, and we wish them nothing but failure," reads the message.

The page points out that 8% of the matches made on OkCupid are between same-sex couples.

Last week, Mozilla promoted Eich, a longtime employee who was previously the company's chief technology officer, to the position of CEO. The move prompted renewed outrage by third-party developers and employees. Eich donated $1,000 to support Propostion 8 in 2008. The California ballot initiative sought to ban same-sex marriage in the state. The donation was made public in 2012 but Eich held onto his job.

After the announcement of Eich's promotion, app development company Rarebit announced it had pulled its apps from Firefox. "As a married gay couple who are co-founders of this venture, we have chosen to boycott all Mozilla projects," said founder Hampton Catlin in an open letter to the company.

Various Mozilla employees have also spoken up about the promotion, taking to Twitter to openly share their disappointment with Eich's politics. Some have come together and publicly called for Eich to step down.

Eich posted a blog on his personal site last week addressing the backlash. He outlined his plan to support LGBT-friendly policies at Mozilla and expressed "sorrow at having caused pain."

"I am committed to ensuring that Mozilla is, and will remain, a place that includes and supports everyone," he said.

The apology hasn't satisfied everyone, and the backlash continues to grow one week later. OkCupid is one of the most high-profile companies to take a stand against Eich's appointment.

The letter on the OkCupid home page is a bold move. However, it is not actually blocking Firefox users from using OkCupid. At the bottom of the page is a link to continue on to the site.

"Mozilla supports equality for all, including marriage equality for LGBT couples. No matter who you are or who you love, everyone deserves the same rights and to be treated equally," said a Mozilla spokesperson in a statement. "OK cupid never reached out to us to let us know of their intentions, nor to confirm facts."

Dan Cathy move over! This is a completely different issue, one that I don't support. The man donated money prior to being CEO for the company and company money wasn't used for the donation.

I never really used Mozilla Firefox anyways. I always found it a memory hog, prefer Google Chrome.
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-04-01 17:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Using his own money isn't the same as funneling company funds into a political lobby. He also doesn't seem to be trying to use Mozilla as a mouthpiece for his personal anti-gay bias.

This is Chick-fil-a v0.5 at best. :P
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-01 17:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

A guy donated to a cause of his choice with personal money. Who cares. People will get offended at anything nowadays.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-04-01 17:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

This is rather redundant, and not really news-worthy in any circle. It was $1,000 dollars of his personal earnings, on a personal ideal, that, while incredibly bigoted and HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, shouldn't really impact his performance as a CEO, if he has not brought it into office politics.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-01 17:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

How dare some website I've never heard of tell me what to believe !

Also online dating is 95% men and 5% women that don't respond to said men.

There is about a 5% chance you might get to know someone.

And being a free site does not help.

http://okcsucks.tumblr.com/
[+]
 Alexander.Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-04-01 17:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, I guess it's a little off-putting that they'd choose someone like that to be the face of their company. But I wouldn't go so far as to boycott unless Mozilla makes itself into the next brandname mascot of the anti-gay movement, which I really don't see happening. Guess we'll see lol
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-01 18:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It's off-putting that they'd choose a guy who supported a proposition that passed by majority vote? How dare he.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-01 18:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that I've ever been a big fan of OKCupid, but this is actually kinda pushing me away...

I won't lie: I've been using Firefox since some of its earliest days (back when Netscape Navigator still existed, if I remember correctly) and it hasn't been coincidental. So I am disinclined to stop using my preferred browser for political reasons.

That said, this Eich fellow has apologized. I'm a big believer in forgiveness. Let he who has never made a decision he later regretted throw the first stone, right? While it is kinda inconceivable for all us *** who've been out since we were teenagers in the '90s, there are reasons, both bad and good, for why someone might at one time oppose a civil rights issue and later change his mind. It's rather short-sighted to operate on a basis of never forgiving.

Which isn't to say that I'm strictly taken in by any old action, but at least Eich feigns apology. And, as Carrelo said, difference between personal and corporate.

Hey, vaguely related note, I was listening to a story about how gay marriage got passed into law over in the UK. It was apparently spear-headed by conservatives who feel that marriage makes for stable, traditional family units (they'd had civil unions for a while now). Ah, spin is a fickle mistress.
[+]
 Sylph.Shipp
Server: Sylph
user: Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-04-01 18:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Only reason I'd stop using Firefox is because I like google chrome better, which is starting to happen, but only because Firefox is a huge resource hog in comparison and I'm starting to like the layout of Chrome better.

Quote:

Hey, vaguely related note, I was listening to a story about how gay marriage got passed into law over in the UK. It was apparently spear-headed by conservatives who feel that marriage makes for stable, traditional family units (they'd had civil unions for a while now). Ah, spin is a fickle mistress.

Most EU conservatives are about the equivalent of our liberals in the US, though. Either way, props to the UK.
 Cerberus.Logical
Server: Cerberus
user: cronix
By Cerberus.Logical 2014-04-01 18:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I still see Barilla pasta on shelves everywhere, and I live near a Chick-fil-a that looks like it's getting better business than ever. This'll blow over like all the other "crucify them!" campaigns. Bleeding liberals, lol.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Waff
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-04-01 19:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who is against same sex unions in this day and age(just because of some book, and genuinely not because of personal choice) is a *** moron.

edit: Both trains of thought are moronic IMO. |Because people cannot seem to read beyond this post.|
 Alexander.Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-04-01 19:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
It's off-putting that they'd choose a guy who supported a proposition that passed by majority vote? How dare he.
Considering that companies burn people for far more minor things of equal (in)consequence to daily business, yes. Like, you could lose your shot at a new job/promotion if they find a 5 year old photo of you at a party, but giving money to the anti-gay machine is totes nbd. It's just a bit little off-putting lol

Like I said though, given the man's apology and apparent commitment to maintaining the inclusive atmosphere at Mozilla, I don't think it merits a boycott. Hence why I said "off-putting" instead of "offensive" or "outrageous" lol
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-04-01 19:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Logical said: »
I still see Barilla pasta on shelves everywhere, and I live near a Chick-fil-a that looks like it's getting better business than ever. This'll blow over like all the other "crucify them!" campaigns. Bleeding liberals, lol.

Hey now, in this particular case, even the liberals are saying this guy didn't do anything wrong from a political/business standpoint. He's apologized, and has publicly stated he wanted to incorporate everyone as a CEO, to maximize profits - in spite of his personal beliefs, he doesn't, and hasn't, let it clash with the company's image.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-01 19:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The goal isn't to drive companies out of business anyway. In both cases, Barilla and Chik-fil-a ended up modifying their original positions.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-01 19:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a Chick Fil A down the street from my house, and an In and Out just opened across from them. My money is on In and Out.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
Server: Ragnarok
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2014-04-01 19:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Waffless said: »
Anyone who is against same sex unions in this day and age(just because of some book, and genuinely not because of personal choice) is a *** moron.

Look at all that tolerance!

Also, the Chik-Fil-A "scandal" resulted in the least successful boycott in the history of mankind, so clearly only a small segment of the population views the value of traditional marriage as a call to arms.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/chick-fil-tops-kfc-top-chicken-chain-23146211
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-04-01 19:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Azryel said: »

Also, the Chik-Fil-A "scandal" resulted in the least successful boycott in the history of mankind, so clearly only a small segment of the population views the value of traditional marriage as a call to arms.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/chick-fil-tops-kfc-top-chicken-chain-23146211

Eh?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-01 19:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
There is a Chick Fil A down the street from my house, and an In and Out just opened across from them. My money is on In and Out.

When In and Out came to my town, I got sick of hearing about how incredible it was. It's good, yeah, but it's not that good. Intentional derail to discuss the quality of various fast food restaurants? MAYBE.
 Sylph.Shipp
Server: Sylph
user: Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-04-01 19:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you also ask where the tolerance is when people make similar comments about racists?

"You should be tolerant of their intolerance!"

Also, Chik-fil-a's Dan Cathy publicly apologized for what he had done. I wouldn't say that's not successful. As someone else said, the point of a boycott isn't to bankrupt who you're boycotting.
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-04-01 19:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shipp said: »

Do you also ask where the tolerance is when people make similar comments about racists?

"You should be tolerant of their intolerance!"

Also, Chik-fil-a's Dan Cathy publicly apologized for what he had done. I wouldn't say that's not successful. As someone else said, the point of a boycott isn't to bankrupt who you're boycotting.

Just in my opinion (if that's ok with you?) if they really feel that way besides religion then that's genuine to me(even though that's just as ignorant and stupid) So yeah that's what I think, deal with it if you don't like it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-01 19:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh?
People seem to think that tolerance shields you from criticism.
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-04-01 19:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

Eh?
People seem to think that tolerance shields you from criticism.
k (I'm on a boat with a couple of wacko's)
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-01 19:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

When In and Out came to my town, I got sick of hearing about how incredible it was. It's good, yeah, but it's not that good. Intentional derail to discuss the quality of various fast food restaurants? MAYBE.

I take it you don't know about animal styles. Cause everyone says the exact same thing until they discover the hidden menu items. Animal Style double doubles/3x3s in particular.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2014-04-01 19:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Both ends of the spectrum are wrong, in my humblest of opinions. I couldn't care less what homosexuals do with themselves, and I don't care who supports or condemns them: it's none of my business. I am curious though as to why "gay marriage" is always a forerunner of conversation when our society is having a slew of more tangible problems to discuss... Semantically speaking, this isn't even an "equality" issue, because that would mean that everyone and everything would be able to get married: gays, polygamists, a dude and his cat, etc., and that's not what's being proposed, which is why I don't think it has a leg to stand on being argued from such a position... It's "selective" equality, it's a "this one group only" proposition, and that doesn't allow everyone in our country to get married, which is what they're professing is an inalienable human right. Do you see the double standard? I do.

*** moron.
People seem to think that tolerance shields you from criticism

"*** moron," the vernacular of cogent criticism. Understood.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-04-01 19:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Both ends of the spectrum are wrong, in my humblest of opinions. I couldn't care less what homosexuals do with themselves, and I don't care who supports or condemns them: it's none of my business. I am curious though as to why "gay marriage" is always a forerunner of conversation when our society is having a slew of more tangible problems to discuss... Semantically speaking, this isn't even an "equality" issue, because that would mean that everyone and everything would be able to get married: gays, polygamists, a dude and his cat, etc., and that's not what's being proposed, which is why I don't think it has a leg to stand on being argued from a position... It's "selective" equality, it's a "this one group only" proposition, and that doesn't allow everyone in our country to get married, which is what they're professing is an inalienable human right. Do you see the double standard? I do.

*** moron.
People seem to think that tolerance shields you from criticism

I knew you would go there, but prefaced it with that it was my opinion so yeah..
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-01 19:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Stupid is as cogent a criticism as any when it comes to ignorant beliefs.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-01 19:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't backpedal, sugar. Offering cogent criticism and pandering tolerance to bigots are two very different arguments to make. Choose one or shut it.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2014-04-01 19:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Stupid is as cogent a criticism as any when it comes to ignorant beliefs.

Well thankfully you're here to provide a just ruling on what is and what isn't ignorant... The interwebs thanks you for your service.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-01 20:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I can also validate your parking.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-01 20:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Semantically speaking, this isn't even an "equality" issue, because that would mean that everyone and everything would be able to get married: gays, polygamists, a dude and his cat, etc.,
False syllogism and the commonest argument of those wishing to hide their intolerance. Which means that you only get offended by cogent remarks (and, yes, calling unfounded and illogical beliefs stupid is direct and to-the-point, i.e., cogent) when they fly in the face of your interests.
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11