Xbox ONE Gamepad [Unofficially] Supported For PC

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online

You must be logged in to do that.

Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Xbox ONE Gamepad [Unofficially] supported for PC
Xbox ONE Gamepad [Unofficially] supported for PC
First Page 2
 Bismarck.Aselin
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-03-26 13:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Update June 5,2014

Official Microsoft XONE controller drivers released.

http://majornelson.com/2014/06/05/pc-drivers-for-the-xbox-one-controller-available-now/?linkId=8424381

Official drivers for Xbox ONE controllers for Windows PC.

x86 (32-bit) : http://mjr.mn/XboxOnePCDriversx86
x64 (64-bit) : http://mjr.mn/XboxOnePCDriversx64

(shortened URL pulled directly from blog post.)

----------------------------------
Unofficial XONE controller drivers below.

NOTE: This is provided as-is. Please see the videos on how to install this in either Windows 7 or Windows 8. If you wish to wait for official support from Microsoft, PC compatible drivers are supposedly being worked on by Microsoft. (Then again, they may not be working on it as well.)

If you have issues with the Xbox 360 controller (i.e.- Triggers not working or driver issues especially with the unofficial drivers) or do not want to go to the trouble of attempting to get the PS3 or PS4 DualShock controller working in Windows for FFXI or FFXIV, you can give the XONE Gamepad a try. If going by the ArsTechnica article, you may need the non-free XPadder application for the XONE Gamepad to work in certain games.

News source:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/03/xbox-one-gamepads-finally-unofficially-supported-on-pc/
Quote:
Thankfully, another hacker made his own attempt this month before conferring with Microsoft, meaning that Windows users can finally add next-gen pads to their PC arsenal. At this time, hacker Lucas Assis' patch is quite inelegant, even though it received an update last week that fixed issues with the controller's triggers. You'll need to install an unofficial driver and two applications (linked in the video tutorial above) before the controller will even work, and you'll probably want to install the paid XPadder app afterward to enjoy full support for your Steam library. Many games we tested didn't work without that latter addition tossed on top.
Driver Mirrors: (File also linked in the Youtube video's description as well.)
http://www.mmo-notepad.com/files/XboxGamePad_1.01.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/966eckrdv7m2234/XboxGamePad_1.01.rar

.NET Framework 4.0 (Required):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

Xpadder ($9.99): Required if you want to use it for games that may not work with the controller properly.
http://www.xpadder.com/
By Jetackuu 2014-03-26 13:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure the controllers work fine in XIV, not sure how it's gamepad compatibility is designed, XI's issue is the lack of support for x-input devices, and very few people still making direct-input devices as x-input was introduced in directx9 (iirc), silly XI and running on dx8...

As far as the PS3 controller goes: only know of 1 way to get it to work and it works great, but I'm not a fan of adware drivers.

and screw paying for xpadder...
 Bismarck.Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-03-26 13:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Pretty sure the controllers work fine in XIV, not sure how it's gamepad compatibility is designed, XI's issue is the lack of support for x-input devices, and very few people still making direct-input devices as x-input was introduced in directx9 (iirc), silly XI and running on dx8...

As far as the PS3 controller goes: only know of 1 way to get it to work and it works great, but I'm not a fan of adware drivers.

and screw paying for xpadder...
Yeah, I'm not fond of the idea of paying for something like XPadder. However, I'm providing an alternative to other controllers. A friend has issues getting his Xbox 360 controller working in FFXI, but works fine in FFXIV. Another friend couldn't get his PS3 DualShock controller working and didn't like the drivers that were available.

I wish Square-Enix would update their damn code for the game and add XInput support plus a better graphics engine that supports DirectX 9 or even 10/11 so some people don't have to resort to registry hacks for pixel and vertex shader versions for certain computers out there with Windows 7 or 8 installed. (But, that's another discussion I don't want to get into as I've already tried arguing my point on the official FFXI forums in the past...)
By Jetackuu 2014-03-26 13:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Wired official 360 controllers work great, need to do some hacks, but it can be done.

I've yet to find a way to get wireless 360 controllers working, tried my damnedest, I found one mod that was supposed to do it, but it wasn't available for 7x64 when I last played with it.

PS3, there's a way to get motioninjoy to work offline, and that's the way I'd recommend.

Just was really stating the part about XIV, didn't make sense.

I don't know why anyone would have a failbox1 gamepad though, people actually buy these things?
[+]
 Bismarck.Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-03-26 13:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I would not be surprised someone will spend $40 or $50 for an Xbox ONE controller just to use on the PC. People with money and poor decisions makes them buy expensive things without thinking beforehand like a $2 million Bugatti Veyron after winning a $10 million lottery or a 20,000,000 Gil Kraken Club on a drunken stupor. :P
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-03-26 13:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been using the 360 controllers for years now. I never did any hacks or anything. I just ignore the triggers and map their functions to Start and Select.

I haven't used an Xbone pad for anything, but if that's what someone is comfortable with, why wouldn't it be worth the few extra bucks? I don't really get why you're treating like a foolish or extravagant purchase.
[+]
By Sieha1 2014-03-26 14:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I like how people who are making drivers for things are called hackers. I guess anyone that used old school linux was a hacker since most had to write their own drivers to get most standard devices working properly.
 Fenrir.Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-03-26 14:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hacker doesn't always mean what you think it means. When they say hacker here, it's the benign hobbyist type. He or she just wants stuff to work differently than it's designed to.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-03-26 14:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sieha1 said: »
I like how people who are making drivers for things are called hackers. I guess anyone that used old school linux was a hacker since most had to write their own drivers to get most standard devices working properly.

Pretty sure if you've ever voided a warranty, the company will lump you in with hackers. If you want their hardware to do something other than what they explicitly sold it to you to do, to them, you're just some schmuck hacker trying to weasel your way out of paying for something.

General statement, obviously not all-encompassing. Some companies even encourage tinkering with their products. But most of those aren't game hardware manufacturers.
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-03-26 15:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Too bad the D-Pad doesn't work correctly, cause the Triggers can be mapped as Digital Buttons *hence they would be used for macro sheets* which I lost the ability to do with XBCD when I built my new computer with Windows 8

I mean seriously, what is MS waiting for with these drivers? I hope it's taking this long cause they're making it work with on PC with Wifi-Direct *which the controllers do support*... that'd be pretty nice

I don't know why anyone would have a failbox1 gamepad though, people actually buy these things?
a better version of arguably the best controller ever made? yeah, why would anyone want to use one of those. Gonna go out on a massive limb here and say you've never used one before, maybe you should. I eagerly await your "Witty" quip
 Shiva.Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-03-26 15:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't even see "Hacker" as a negative term. Hacking imo is just making something do something it's not intended to do.
[+]
By Sieha1 2014-03-26 16:32:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »
Hacker doesn't always mean what you think it means. When they say hacker here, it's the benign hobbyist type. He or she just wants stuff to work differently than it's designed to.

Oh right I forgot we can make up the meaning to words as we need to. Rappers have already taught us that, I mean who wouldn't want stacks of racks.
By Jetackuu 2014-03-26 16:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Gib said: »
a better version of arguably the best controller ever made? yeah, why would anyone want to use one of those. Gonna go out on a massive limb here and say you've never used one before, maybe you should. I eagerly await your "Witty" quip
I meant the system, not the controller.
By Jetackuu 2014-03-26 16:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

yes, yes they were.

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

Pretty sure if you've ever voided a warranty, the company will lump you in with hackers. If you want their hardware to do something other than what they explicitly sold it to you to do, to them, you're just some schmuck hacker trying to weasel your way out of paying for something.

General statement, obviously not all-encompassing. Some companies even encourage tinkering with their products. But most of those aren't game hardware manufacturers.

If you buy a company's hardware, as long as you're not reselling it for a profit, what you do with it is your business, anyone saying otherwise is a corporate tool.

Fenrir.Camiie said: »

Oh right I forgot we can make up the meaning to words as we need to. Rappers have already taught us that, I mean who wouldn't want stacks of racks.

The term originally meant something very different than the way it's used today, and yes people make up meanings of words all the time, dictionaries only really document how people use words, it's up to the general populace to determine what words mean.

Definitions change over time, and there can be multiple definitions for one word, and the context of the term here can be easily derived, unless one is ignorant.
 Fenrir.Mariane
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-03-26 16:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who ever used a XBOX360 controller on a PC (and it's particularly bad if the games aren't xinput compatible) can notice how CRAPPY the controllers are. Pretty poor cheaply built.

Microsoft fixes the data from the controllers output with a lot of math and good programming.

So for the controllers to be good you need to use them with xinput compatible game on a PC or with a XBOX360.

PS3 controllers are built with high quality parts but are hard to configure to be usable with the PC...

Polar opposite.

But then some people dislike SONY controllers button layout or are outright MS fanboys ... XD

So yes in the USA if you say that the XBOX360 controller suck people will disagree heartedly.

And since people mentioned hacking, I did hack this back when SF4 was big:

Gray (Japan) Saturn controller > digital logic converter circuit board > Wireless Xbox 360 controller board > Play & Charge cable

That would let me play in the XBOX Live with a DECENT fighting controller. ;)
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-03-26 16:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I recall something about that, and it makes sense. I'd like a good analog 14+ button controller with direct input availability.

I just wish I had access to a cnc mill to furbish a few custom cases for some portable hardware...
By Jetackuu 2014-03-26 16:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

and Leo, that's one hell of a lot of tedious wiring, and a rather delicate setup for such a purpose, but kudos for the determination.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just convert it to a wired board via usb instead of using the wireless one?
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-03-26 17:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

and Leo, that's one hell of a lot of tedious wiring, and a rather delicate setup for such a purpose, but kudos for the determination.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just convert it to a wired board via usb instead of using the wireless one?

Wired controllers are rare here in Brazil. Each XBOX360 that died to RROD left behind an orphaned controller. You know all too well how that works. :P

The wired controller I own is at my FFXI PC and it stays there, peacefully. ;)

Also, the digital board that connects to the Saturn controller is actually a module of my "Supergun" thing, which let arcade boards connect to the TV without needing an arcade cabinet.

</thread derail>
 Shiva.Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-03-26 17:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

PS3 controller is god awful for anything where you use 2 thumbsticks at a time or if you have to use the triggers... or you have to use the D-Pad the analog sticks are too loose and I hate how the controller is too small. Just a terrible Controller to use on FPS's ect.

Notice how the PS4 controller fixes most all of those things *cept for the D-Pad -_-* even Sony finally got off their high horse and changed the controller.

Infact I've never used the PS3 controller since I got the PS4, cause thankfully while the system isn't backwards compatible, I can use a PS4 controller on the PS3, Thank F'ing god.
By Jetackuu 2014-03-26 17:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no issue with the PS3 controller, short of that I can't sit the controller on a flat surface without it pressing the triggers in...

Fenrir.Mariane said: »

Wired controllers are rare here in Brazil. Each XBOX360 that died to RROD left behind an orphaned controller. You know all too well how that works. :P

The wired controller I own is at my FFXI PC and it stays there, peacefully. ;)

Also, the digital board that connects to the Saturn controller is actually a module of my "Supergun" thing, which let arcade boards connect to the TV without needing an arcade cabinet.

</thread derail>

Way too well, unfortunately...

I guess I'm just a bit jelly as I haven't seen my 2nd play n' charge kit in a long time...
By Sieha1 2014-03-26 18:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

meh too lazy to quote.

I can understand buzz words and pop culture to change the meanings of words but some words do have either legal or technical meaning. You couldn't walk into a room full of electrical engineers and say I think the base ball cap is not working we should fix it.

If our language degrades to the point to where all meaning is only context then what do you have, a contextual language I know but not my point.

The word hacker is almost as bad as I couldn't care less or one of the other phrases that people use out of ignorance. I heard recently some one refer to a guy that re-installed an OS on a computer with a corrupted hdd as a 'hacker'. Not everyone that works on computers and computer related electronics is a hacker. Nor is any one that gets something to work, a hacker. If someone broke into a password protected computer or into a secure network, that is a hacker.

There are situations where people specifically change a words meaning but there are also places where ignorance and misunderstanding causes people to use a work incorrectly.

Also based on Webster it can also mean someone who is bad at sports. Given the last time I played golf... I am a hacker.
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-03-26 18:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, a hacker was originally someone who did manage to get something to work, especially when jury-rigging is involved. Fixing a car engine with your wife's scarf back in the 1940s means you were a successful hacker. The term was coined by engineers. It got co-opted by people engaged in digital crime because they had to use similar methodology to penetrate digital protections.

On-topic, why use a console controller with all the problems it has in lieu of just buying a PC controller? I've used Logitech controllers ever since I started playing FFXI and the only complaint I've had is that the analog sticks wear out faster than on a Sony controller.
 Bismarck.Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-03-26 18:38:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Actually, a hacker was originally someone who did manage to get something to work, especially when jury-rigging is involved. Fixing a car engine with your wife's scarf back in the 1940s means you were a successful hacker. The term was coined by engineers. It got co-opted by people engaged in digital crime because they had to use similar methodology to penetrate digital protections.

On-topic, why use a console controller with all the problems it has in lieu of just buying a PC controller? I've used Logitech controllers ever since I started playing FFXI and the only complaint I've had is that the analog sticks wear out faster than on a Sony controller.
Yeah, same issue I've had with Logitech controllers-- really shoddy quality. Majority of all Logitech products I've owned-- mice and gamepads-- are broken within 3 to 6 months after purchase. I'm surprise the wireless mouse I got for $9 at Walmart still works a year and a half after purchase.

It's why I've switched to the Xbox 360 controller for the PC, but even now I have to replace that-- the right analog stick is loose and keeps moving in the up/forward direction. Then again, I've owned that for over three years so I guess it's time to replace it. However, much more solid build quality than any Logitech controller I've owned.
 Fenrir.Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-03-26 18:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I've tried Logitech and off-brand controllers too, and the MS ones just last longer for me. On the others I've had issues with buttons, analog sticks, and even the cord connection on the controller end.
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-03-26 18:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Aselin said: »
Yeah, same issue I've had with Logitech controllers-- really shoddy quality. Majority of all Logitech products I've owned-- mice and gamepads-- are broken within 3 to 6 months after purchase. I'm surprise the wireless mouse I got for $9 at Walmart still works a year and a half after purchase.
Controllers are the only things that have given me problems. I've had the same mouse for the best part of a decade and, rest assured, it has gotten a lot of use. Many hours of Diablo II, among other things, and the worst I've ever had happen was having to do was clean the thing.

I'll admit Logitech controllers are not the most strongest constructed items on the market, but it still takes me a couple years to kill one. Perhaps you're too rough on your electronics? I've known some people who could destroy a brand-new analog stick within 3 months because they had no sense of how much strength they were using.
By Jetackuu 2014-03-26 18:56:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Only issue I've had with Logitech products (sans controllers) is the receivers will sometimes lose the device, and on my one laptop they act weird...

As for controllers, we've all experienced the same, buttons sticking, poor quality control, cable coming lose, etc.

@the stupid "hacker" derail:

The term hacker also for a long time was a term used for those who coded, so for multiple reasons it couldn't be more precise in the context of the way it was used, so really get the *** over yourself, you are wrong, get over it. All meaning is only contextual, congratulations, you finally got to the point. I feel for your pain in an attempt to get the ignorant to stop using that word out of context, but this wasn't out of context at all.
 Bismarck.Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-03-26 19:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
I'll admit Logitech controllers are not the most strongest constructed items on the market, but it still takes me a couple years to kill one. Perhaps you're too rough on your electronics? I've known some people who could destroy a brand-new analog stick within 3 months because they had no sense of how much strength they were using.
I'm not really playing them too hard or throwing the controller across the room mind you. XD

Or, maybe I've been playing too many SNES games on ZSNES playing Street Fighter II or doing Sabin's Blitz moves in FF6.
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-03-26 21:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

My only issue with the XBOX360 controllers is the low precision on the analogs (including the triggers).

About tear/wearing: I doubt anyone can wear out a PS3 analog stick as they're not mechanical, but magnetic. There's no mechanical contact involved on the analog thumbsticks there. It works exactly like the Dreamcast controller analog did: A magnet would approach or distance from a electronic sensor as you pushed the analog stick around.

About using the Dualshock analog thumbsticks:
YouTube Video Placeholder

On this game you had to use both at same time, one moves the robot the other moves the aim. VERY FUN PlayStation (PS1) GAME with Masakazu Katsura (of Y's and Video Girl ai manga fame) character design...

(forward to 4:45 if you want to rush into the gameplay)
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [71 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-06-05 10:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

http://majornelson.com/2014/06/05/pc-drivers-for-the-xbox-one-controller-available-now/?linkId=8424381

Official drivers for Xbox ONE controllers for Windows PC.

x86 (32-bit) : http://mjr.mn/XboxOnePCDriversx64
x64 (64-bit) : http://mjr.mn/XboxOnePCDriversx64

(shortened URL pulled directly from blog post.)

Updated OP.
 Shiva.Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-06-05 11:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

yay! stinks that is doesn't use the wireless dongle
First Page 2