Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Variable
By Leviathan.Banota 2014-01-07 04:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I am having an error hope someone could help me with it :(

I got on POL and I cant get through the game screen it says:
"Final Fantasy XI could not be launched because Direct3D failed to initialize"

I checked my DirectX and it says: "Direct3D Accelerator: not available" and the same with the other two.

I am using windows 7 if that helps.
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-01-07 04:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You can get this error if you from Windower FFXI to Vanilla FFXI, the way to fix that is to go into the FFXI Configuration and make sure the resolution is set correctly and not like 512x512 full screen, ect.

Not sure if that's your problem, but that's the first thing I'd check.
 Odin.Brocovich
Server: Odin
user: Brocovich
By Odin.Brocovich 2014-01-07 05:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I had the same issue and the only way to fix this i have found was using windower in borderless windowed mode with fullscreen resolution.
 Asura.Izilder
Server: Asura
user: Izildur
By Asura.Izilder 2014-01-07 07:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

make sure you dont have an old version of fface's windower - i did on 1 pc and it gave me this msg for 2 weeks before i worked it out and deleted it.
By Jetackuu 2014-01-07 22:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

if your dxdiag is showing that you don't have directx acceleration then your graphics driver isn't installed, assuming you have a system that isn't ancient, or virtualized in like virtualbox or something.
 Asura.Gippali
user: Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-01-07 22:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I am actually having this problem right now!

I was doing COR AF body cut scene and game shut down (playing game through windower). A friend said try starting through main POL and I got this message.
By Jetackuu 2014-01-07 22:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

graphics driver may have crashed, do a reboot...
 Asura.Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-01-07 22:48:19
Link | Quote | Reply

That was the first thing I tried and nothing. I now gave it to a friend that works on comps since I am basically computer HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Sadly, most of the suggestions on the forums/google have not worked. Will keep at it though!
 Leviathan.Banota
By Leviathan.Banota 2014-01-08 00:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I am using Alienware laptop just brand new with windows 7
I am not using windower and I have also noticed when opening the ffxi config its all one color grey that is, I don't see the thingy written do to the changes. just a grey box
 Asura.Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-01-08 16:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry to hear that Banota, especially on a new comp!

Mine happened on a Gateway FX P6831 laptop that I have been using to only play FFXI for the last 5+ years. My friend said the graphics card is running properly and everything through the all the tests he is doing.

It's even more irritating to me right now because I am so close to finishing my Apoc and trading in the stripeshell ; ;
By Jetackuu 2014-01-08 18:34:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Well found your first problem: shitty dell.

does your laptop have dual video cards? integrated and dedicated?
 Bismarck.Aselin
Server: Bismarck
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-01-08 18:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Check this post:
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/40556/windows-8-and-ffxi/#2471727

When I last had a Dell laptop, the Intel HD graphics chip needed a driver update before FFXI could even load. If I didn't update, I'd get a Direct3D error.
By Wordspoken 2014-01-08 19:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Possible cause: no 32-bit compability. I'm not sure where you set it though. I got a similar error while tweaking drivers, fixed when set 32-bit compability when asked on configuration.
 Leviathan.Banota
By Leviathan.Banota 2014-01-09 05:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

managed to fix the problem by installing intel which wasn't there
By Jetackuu 2014-01-09 15:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Banota said: »
managed to fix the problem by installing intel which wasn't there

Jetackuu said: »
if your dxdiag is showing that you don't have directx acceleration then your graphics driver isn't installed, assuming you have a system that isn't ancient, or virtualized in like virtualbox or something.
called it...
[+]
 Asura.Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-01-09 16:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Aselin said: »
Check this post:
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/40556/windows-8-and-ffxi/#2471727

When I last had a Dell laptop, the Intel HD graphics chip needed a driver update before FFXI could even load. If I didn't update, I'd get a Direct3D error.

Do you think this might do the trick for me? Sorry if my questions seems dumb as hell but I really no nothing of computer specs!

Here are the specs for my FX:
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2008/GodzillaFX/1015088R/1015088Rsp2.shtml
By Jetackuu 2014-01-09 16:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You apparently know nothing of the English language either...

that laptop is old, is probably running vista, doubt it has anything to do with getting xi to work in win8.
 Asura.Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-01-09 16:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahhh okay. I saw a couple of links on there for W7/vista. I thought maybe the links Aselin posted covered multiple window versions and such.
By Jetackuu 2014-01-09 16:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

it would be easier if you explained what your problem is, and told more about what build you have, OS etc.
 Asura.Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-01-09 17:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The OS is vista with all the specs on in the link. I haven't done anything to the comp other then the recommended updates when they pop-up on the tool bar.

I can't say for sure how long this issue has been around. I normally open with windower without any issues. This is the first time I have tried to open XI through the POL desktop icon in maybe 3-4 years. I had just assumed that windower did not like something in that cut scene as it freezes every time at the same part (right as he gets his handcuffs shot off). So I thought that maybe going through the regular POL I would not have that issue.

Pulled this from running the dxdiag hoping it may help?

Chip Type: GF 8800M GTS
Approx. Memory: 1775 MB
Display mode: 1440 x 900 (32bit) (61Hz)

Direct Draw acc: enabled
Direct3D acc: enabled
AGP Text. acc: enabled
By Jetackuu 2014-01-09 17:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

sounds more like the game files are messed up, or a setting is off somewhere.
 Asura.Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-01-09 17:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I am doing a XI file check right now. Hoping that might do the trick. Thanks for the help though Jeta, much appreciated!
By Jetackuu 2014-01-09 17:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Gippali said: »
I am doing a XI file check right now. Hoping that might do the trick. Thanks for the help though Jet, much appreciated!
ftfy
 Bismarck.Phaded
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2014-01-09 18:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure if the second post in this thread was overlooked but the D3D error happens exactly for that reason. Most PC users can go way above the normal resolutions preset in the FFXI config, and will either use the registry to manually set their resolution settings to something higher, or use the Windower GUI options in the launcher. Setting any resolution with these methods will not play nice when you go back to standard POL and you will get that D3D cannot initialize error.

To resolve it in the past, I have had to open the standard FFXI Config launcher, and set the overlay and background resolution there. Once done, save and log in thru normal (vanilla) POL. Can even just be lazy and click default and then save since you are just trying to get past a CS. Not sure if the CS you are trying to get past is the Kamhir one, otherwise it might be a corrupted .dat as was suggested before. When done you can relaunch thru Windower and the previous settings you had will be used.

TL:DR : If your overlay and background resolution have been set with windower, it will not play nice with normal POL. To fix set those resolutions within the FFXI Config > Screensize tab.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-01-09 19:17:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I attempted to do this, a file check did not resolve the issue, a full re install did however.

and a rather amazing windows 8 Bios Hack through the partisan!
 Bismarck.Aselin
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-01-12 02:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

@Gippali

If you are still having issues with Direct3D error, try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

Here are the updated ones for your card:

Vista 64-bit - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/57622/en-us

Vista 32-bit - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/57621/en-us

If the problem still persists, try running FFXI without Windower. I remember having a similar issue on Windows 7. I first ran without Windower, then reinstalled, and then lowered the settings--background and 3D resolution-- for the game. I currently run in a 1:1 configuration where my background and 3D resolutions are the same.

And, the last option is reinstalling FFXI altogether.
 Asura.Gippali
By Asura.Gippali 2014-01-12 17:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue is resolved now. Had to install the game again. Everything seems to be working fine again. Thank you for all the help though!