Rostrum Pumps
 Seraph.Abarai
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Abarai
By Seraph.Abarai 2009-07-22 07:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, im looking to do this NM,

Anyone doing it soonish and i can join in?
If not would people like to get this done, lemme know!
 Valefor.Lilbusta
Server: Valefor
user:
By Valefor.Lilbusta 2009-07-22 09:29:53
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I've been waiting and shouting for this as well on Valefor. If you had most of the people you need, I'd jump servers to get this done ;P
 Seraph.Darkvision
By Seraph.Darkvision 2009-07-22 23:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

little warning about this, its not an easy fight at all and people NEED to know what thier doing if your gonna do a pick up group.

A full alliance of 18 characters level 75 is recommended to deal with Alastor and the other antlions, use blink tanks PLD/NIN or NIN/WAR, personally i would take 3xPLD/NIN, the added effect of petrify attacks can be very annoying and can kill a player very quickly

you gotta control TP and hate carfully and it can be a hell of a long fight. i know my LS is gonna do 2 runs for it. and i think we will be doing with 18 people or more.

gonna need something like this:-

Tank PT - 2xPLD/NIN WHM BRD RDM possibly another PLD/NIN or healer
DD PT - SAM/WAR DRK WAR, forget THF its 100% drop
BLM PT - 4-5xBLM BRD or COR RDM if 4 BLM

also would be hady with a couple extra people or an extra outside PT to take care of the repops just incase

the pops from NM do cause link agro from normal mobs too so you need to be carfull about that.

you need people that are prepared for long fights, i have heard it taking up to 3-4 hours before it will use Sandblast to spawn Alastor Antlion. dont ever kill the main NM till Alastor pops or you waste a trig

if your not carfull and ontop of cures stona etc then the fight can go very wrong very quickly.
 Odin.Karusan
Server: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-07-22 23:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah 12 is heaps. NIN tank, NIN kite. Just kite it around the rock up top of the ramp. Made even easier if you bring a bunch of BST's.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-07-22 23:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Darkvision: Um What?
If you have a full party of blm's you can pretty much drop the rest.
I've done several runs with ~8 people, and I'm pretty sure more skilled people could do it with even less.
Setup: Pld/nin, bard, rdm, whm, and as many blms as you can round up (4 should be fine).
Anything beyond that is just icing.

Strat: Have Pld/nin blink tank the main mob, only giving it tp when there are 0-1 pops up. Timed nukes from blms can easily take out the pops. Rinse and repeat till Alastor pops. At this point have someone (we had our rdm do it) claim Alastor and kite it back to the Maze zone. Have the Pld take one for the team and get killed by the Feeler antlion; make sure everyone else in the alliance zones hate and Feeler will go back to his spawn site and depop. Have the kiter bring alastor to the zone point; Blms nuke/zone on Alastor. Have the whm ready to cast stona on anyone who gets petrified. All in all a fairly simple fight. I might be missing some of the details on the kiting/nuking since when we did it I was the pld and basically went afk after I sac'd until the fight was over and the whm R3'd me.

GL with the fight!

Edit: We didn't have any beasts available, but I'm sure they wouldn't hurt in case you got any links.
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-22 23:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

BST's really rock this fight actually, as they take links out of the equation and turn it to your advantage.
 Seraph.Darkvision
By Seraph.Darkvision 2009-07-22 23:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Altar said:
@ Darkvision: Um What?
If you have a full party of blm's you can pretty much drop the rest.
I've done several runs with ~8 people, and I'm pretty sure more skilled people could do it with even less.
Setup: Pld/nin, bard, rdm, whm, and as many blms as you can round up (4 should be fine).
Anything beyond that is just icing.

Strat: Have Pld/nin blink tank the main mob, only giving it tp when there are 0-1 pops up. Timed nukes from blms can easily take out the pops. Rinse and repeat till Alastor pops. At this point have someone (we had our rdm do it) claim Alastor and kite it back to the Maze zone. Have the Pld take one for the team and get killed by the Feeler antlion; make sure everyone else in the alliance zones hate and Feeler will go back to his spawn site and depop. Have the kiter bring alastor to the zone point; Blms nuke/zone on Alastor. Have the whm ready to cast stona on anyone who gets petrified. All in all a fairly simple fight. I might be missing some of the details on the kiting/nuking since when we did it I was the pld and basically went afk after I sac'd until the fight was over and the whm R3'd me.

GL with the fight!

Edit: We didn't have any beasts available, but I'm sure they wouldn't hurt in case you got any links.

um.. i did say that people need to know what they are doing and plus things like this type of NM and pickup PT's generally things will go wrong and i have heard of that happening, you cant say it hasnt coz it most likely has. things like havig 1 whm, PLD gettign caught with petrify, or WHM not paying attention, laggin badly, lots of things can go wrong, you cannot deny that.

you have dont it several times, good for you, you know what your doing then huh, not everyone does. sac'ing to force depop then kill Alastor Antlion, yeah you took teh easy way out.

basically if you dont know what your doing or what to expect then play it safe.
 Odin.Karusan
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-07-23 00:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes I think that the more people you have at events the harder it is. The more people you have the greater chance something can go wrong.

Sorry for semi-derailing your thread Abarai, hope you get it done! gl :)
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-07-23 00:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The reason I posted was to inform the OP that if he had a group of friends with the right jobs he could probably do this without having to resort to shout parties, which yes generally have people not paying attention and things going wrong. I don't think the Feeler can cast petrify?

I know that if I had to find 17 people to help with something I would probably have to shout, but 8 or 9... not so much. Was just trying to help out the OP. At any rate, point being, if you go about it the right way, a full alliance isn't needed.

And derail, but "the easy way out"? Ever carby pull anything before Mr 75smn? Yeah, thought so.
 Seraph.Darkvision
By Seraph.Darkvision 2009-07-23 02:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Feeler dont cast it, its additional effect from Alastor Antlion and also casts Breakga even if a whm was standing too close to be hit by Breakga can cost the fight. being to close to recast pro and shell or what ever can cause you to get caught by the first cast from Alastor Antlion, if it chooses to cast breakga to start
 Seraph.Bloodjunkie
user: slaytanic
By Seraph.Bloodjunkie 2009-07-23 20:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

ive been looking to do this nm too.
 Fenrir.Abunaii
Server: Fenrir
user: Abunaii
By Fenrir.Abunaii 2009-07-23 20:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/Abunai101/ffxi_20090514_014420.png
Can do this with 6 pretty easy, setup was NIN/BLM/BLM/RDM/WHM/BRD -- Depop the babies and take it the zone, let BLMs nuke it. Took about 20 mins :O You can even straight tank it if your WHM doesn't suck :)
[+]
 Seraph.Darkvision
By Seraph.Darkvision 2009-07-24 05:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Altar said:
Ever carby pull anything before Mr 75smn? Yeah, thought so.

of course i have. BUT i never been on SMN for ages and its retired. i am always on PLD or RDM.

kinda a no point question anyway and totally irrelevent.
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-07-24 10:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You kind of missed the point on petrify. It doesn't matter if the Pld gets petrified, because he is sac'ing anyways.

And the relevance of the carby pull was that if you've ever done it you have no business complaining about other people taking the easy way out. You obviously should have taken 18 people to whatever it was that you needed carby pull for so you could do it the manly way.

Whoosh much?
[+]
 Seraph.Darkvision
By Seraph.Darkvision 2009-07-24 22:50:25
Link | Quote | Reply

i think you missed the point that i have not been SMN in ages and its retied. oh and it was a merit PT with friends that i was carby pulling
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-24 23:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkvision said:
i think you missed the point that i have not been SMN in ages and its retied. oh and it was a merit PT with friends that i was carby pulling

You still missed the point, you were bitching about the pld sac'ing being "the easy way out" rather than having to kill it. If you've done this before you'd know that killing it can be problematic as it pops another T ant-lion half the time it tp's. Certainly not impossible to kill, but things can get out of hand very quickly if you don't kill it fast enough, feed it too much tp, or don't have the support to handle the extra mobs.

Carby pulling is "the easy way out" in a million situations, dealing with only 1 mob instead of 5 10 20... His point was that if you're such an advocate for not taking the easy way out, then you should never carby pull, and just sleep all 19 of those extra mobs.
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-07-25 05:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Blazza, I'm glad someone gets it.
 Seraph.Abarai
user: Abarai
By Seraph.Abarai 2009-07-25 07:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

As much as i love the discussion on strategies of killing the NM, this thread was started for help getting it done. Or if anyone was doing it soon and i could join there run. lol

Well anyone or linkshell doing it soonish? ^^