Directx Problem? Anyone Have This? Solution?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » directx problem? anyone have this? solution?
directx problem? anyone have this? solution?
First Page 2
 Titan.Junifree
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: junifree
By Titan.Junifree 2013-12-10 12:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

trying to play ffxi, and i get an error after clicking play.

its the play in the menue before you get warnings about not neglecting family/friends.

after i click play, it'll load up ffxi. but will immedietely close the ffxi window and go back to playonline with this mssg:

"Terminated as error occurred in FINAL FANTASY XI. Failed to initialize Direct3D. Please check that this computer has the required specifications to run FINAL FANTASY XI.(-1)"

i'm not sure what to do; ;, i checked my direct3d, and online says that mine is up to date and working fine.

any suggestions welcomed or anyone have similar problem and found solution? HELP
[+]
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
Server: Leviathan
user: kbeezie
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2013-12-11 01:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what's very interesting about this question/problem?

That there's no mentions of hardware, windows OS/version, directX version, logs, etc etc. It's like you got quantum computing, because you got DirectX running on nothing at all, how do you even make a monitor out of thin air?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-12-11 01:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

ffxi uses directx 8.1, each numbered directx version is seperate: having directx 11 doesn't mean you have directx 8.1

try installing that, and see if it fixes the problem

(seeing as ffxi is primarily software rendered and only uses ***present on xp, OS and hardware are generally pretty irrelevant..)
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2013-12-11 01:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
ffxi uses directx 8.1, each numbered directx version is seperate: having directx 11 doesn't mean you have directx 8.1

(seeing as ffxi is primarily software rendered and only uses ***present on xp, OS and hardware are generally pretty irrelevant..)

While it is mostly software on the UI, there are 3D elements (But they're rendered outside in it's own before before being applied to the screen along with the overlay, thus why hardware settings like AA tends not to affect a lot of the components, though FXAA will work regardless). But as a result, some erroneous settings that won't even apply can cause the game to crash if he's forcing it. Quality wise I've always found the best result is just super-sampling the resolution in the registry.

But I'm with what is said so far, go and grab directX 8.x, may simply be missing the runtimes, or they may need a reinstall (or the DLLs may need to be re-registered if they were moved or the system is a new one).
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-12-11 01:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Haruhigumi said: »
While it is mostly software on the UI, there are 3D elements (But they're rendered outside in it's own before before being applied to the screen along with the overlay, thus why hardware settings like AA tends not to affect a lot of the components, though FXAA will work regardless). But as a result, some erroneous settings that won't even apply can cause the game to crash if he's forcing it. Quality wise I've always found the best result is just super-sampling the resolution in the registry.

But I'm with what is said so far, go and grab directX 8.x, may simply be missing the runtimes, or they may need a reinstall (or the DLLs may need to be re-registered if they were moved or the system is a new one).
that's all lovely (commonplace) information, but knowing his OS or hardware has no relation to whether he's forcing AA, etc.. you were rude about information that's completely irrelevant to his problem
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2013-12-11 01:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

that's all lovely (commonplace) information, but knowing his OS or hardware has no relation to whether he's forcing AA, etc.. you were rude about information that's completely irrelevant to his problem
Don't think it was that harsh, it's pretty common place to at least specify something about your system other than, it's "directx" and that he has a problem. At the very least could have pulled up info on dxdiag.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-12-11 01:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

someone who knows how to properly report a bug rarely needs to do so in a setting like this, if they had your knowledge they would already have been ingame
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2013-12-11 01:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

someone who knows how to properly report a bug rarely needs to do so in a setting like this, if they had your knowledge they would already have been ingame

At least he'll know for next time where he can get some information now as opposed to just re-installing, and then coming back with the same approach the next time something goes wrong. ;p
 Odin.Dnbscience
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dnbscience 2013-12-11 03:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Suggestion/Possible fix for your situation

The error mostly like has nothing to do Directx, as you can get this error if you don't have resolution set in the FFXI config. If the setting have been clear out recently it will show up blank in ffxi config. Running thought it again will reapply the setting back to where they need to be in reg which allow the game to open past the play.
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2013-12-11 04:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Dnbscience said: »
Suggestion/Possible fix for your situation

The error mostly like has nothing to do Directx, as you can get this error if you don't have resolution set in the FFXI config. If the setting have been clear out recently it will show up blank in ffxi config. Running thought it again will reapply the setting back to where they need to be in reg which allow the game to open past the play.

Hrm this does make sense, I recall one time when the game updated and had an additional option in the FFXI config, but because I did not go into the config yet to update it's values, the game kept crashing until I realized that.
By Spiraboo 2013-12-11 05:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

This is quite a common problem, several things you can try, read solutions here:
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/102927-ffxi-Direct-3D-error
http://support.eu.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=455&la=2&kid=12483&ret=faqtop&c=5&sc=0&SQEXSC=137ceaqsgpu4tc7orfj1lgalj5

OS can be relevant to the problem because driver is the interface between the OS and your hardware, and directx is basically a layer of librarys built on top (they are, theoretically, backwards compatible, so if you have a later direct x library installed it should technically stuff work, but meh.), hardware.. not so much in this case. And I can't help but agree about the rudeness, you could've just simply asked for those stuff, not everyone is expert at bug reporting. (if he is, chances are he would've googled around first and found his answer)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [623 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Provolone
Server: Siren
user: Provolone
By Siren.Provolone 2015-08-26 13:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for necro, but I'm having this problem now. I tried to launch vanilla ff to finish addon missions, no go, same direct 3D quote. I decided I'd just wait on missions and tried to log in using windower again, and now windower launch crashes as the same point (right after hitting play). Windower worked literally an hour before, so I don't know what's up/how to fix it.

Operating System -- Windows 8.1 with Bing 64-bit
CPU -- Intel Celeron N2840 @ 2.16GHz 41 °C
Bay Trail-M 22nm Technology
RAM -- 4.00GB DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard -- Acer Aspire ES1-512 (CPU 1) 44 °C
Graphics -- Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
Storage -- 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000LPVX-22V0TT0 (SATA) 37 °C

It's a shitty $300 laptop, but it ran it fine until now.

Help!
By Jetackuu 2015-08-26 13:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, you don't need to do this for XI, ever.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-08-26 13:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Open the FFXI config file and check your screen resolution settings. You'll probably find that one of the settings has no value.

Set the resolution value, save settings, and then try opening up the game again.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-08-26 14:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

That's never worked for me, I just tried it and it always crashed upon hitting play. Glad mine works through windower.
 Siren.Provolone
By Siren.Provolone 2015-08-26 14:14:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So I'm dumb and I can't find FFXI config, sorry again.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-08-26 14:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Square Enix > Final Fantasy XI > Tools > FFXI Config.exe
 Fenrir.Atheryn
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-08-26 14:25:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Provolone said: »
So I'm dumb and I can't find FFXI config, sorry again.

Try looking here:
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/34634/i-dont-have-ffxi-config-on-my-comp/
By Jetackuu 2015-08-26 14:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said: »
Square Enix > Final Fantasy XI > Tools > FFXI Config.exe
It's worth noting that (iirc) there's a config per language, not sure how relevant it is anymore since the other language client support is supposedly dead but eh.
 Asura.Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-08-26 14:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I only have one ffxi config, but that could be because my client is installed through steam.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-26 14:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry I mean that there's a "ToolsUS" and "ToolsEU" folder under the Final Fantasy XI folder, both separate from the Playonline config file.
 Asura.Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-08-26 14:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah yes, I see now. Forgot about those.
[+]
 Siren.Provolone
By Siren.Provolone 2015-08-26 16:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry Calatilla, I can't receive PMs for w/e reason. Guess I'll just talk it out here, thanks again.
 Asura.Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-08-26 16:11:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Go into ToolsEU or ToolsUS depending on your client then click on ffxi config.exe and set background and screen resolution to your current desktop settings but leave menu resolution blank.
 Siren.Provolone
By Siren.Provolone 2015-08-26 16:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Did, same problem. Crashed in the same spot, said the same thing.
By Nyruul 2015-08-26 16:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Sorry I mean that there's a "ToolsUS" and "ToolsEU" folder under the Final Fantasy XI folder, both separate from the Playonline config file.

PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\ToolsUS
 Fenrir.Divinian
user: Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2015-08-26 18:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Provolone said: »
Did, same problem. Crashed in the same spot, said the same thing.

Did you crash with windower going or with vanilla?
First Page 2